Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-08-2005, 05:34 PM   #1
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Manchester United - The Changing of the (Defensive) Guard

Greetings to everyone reading this. This is the electronic journal of Christopher Engles.

I'm a 39 year old manager who is considered something of a phenom. I started out my first season of managing professional football at Harrogate Town in the English Conference North back when I was 29. During my first season, I didn't know if I was going to make it through to a second. We had some rocky games in that first season. Fortunately, I showed enough improvement in the 2nd half of the season, that they gave me a chance to come back for another season. You can read about my first season as manager in this thread:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/...ead.php?t=32963

In my second season as manager, I really developed a system and brought in some good talent. Thanks to their play, I managed to help Harrogate win promotion from the English Conference North. You can read about that season in this thread:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/...ead.php?t=33340

In my third season, we continued to gather talent and we continued to win. We won the English Conference National Title and were promoted to League Two. You can read about that season in this thread:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/...ead.php?t=33908

In my fourth season, after some early struggles, the team adapted to League Two play and we went on a tear in the second half of the season. Thanks to our hot play, we won the English League Two Title and were promoted to League One. You can read about that season in this thread:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/...ead.php?t=34430

In my fifth season, I had to make a very hard decision. The team was struggling in League One as the board had continued to refuse to expand the stadium over the years. We were losing money. We didn't have the money to keep our top players. We were floundering. My status was very high and I was being offered several high profile jobs because of what I had done with Harrogate. I made the hard decision to leave Harrogate in midseason and I moved to Wigan. I suddenly had massive amounts of money. I sent some of it to Harrogate Town for a few of my favorite players. You can read about my fifth season in this thread:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/...ead.php?t=35300

In my sixth season, I managed to bring in some potent talent to Wigan via Bosman signings. Thanks to that talent, we won the English Championship with a 99 point season in which we had 30 wins, 9 draws, and 7 losses. I was glad to see that my new system worked nicely at this higher talent level. You can read about my sixth season in this thread:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/...ead.php?t=36645

Then, in my seventh season, I knew that Wigan would have a hard time staying in the EPL and I also knew that Manchester United had a coaching vacancy. It took well over a month, but just before league play started Manchester United approached me and offered me the manager's job. I felt bad leaving Wigan after only a year and a half, but this was the golden ring I had been trying to reach. I quickly took the job. I had moderate to good success in my seventh season as I brought in a few very talented players, including wonderkids Adriano and Craig King. We also brought in the very talented Stewart Downing at left wing. As a result, we improved from the previous finish of 5th place to a 2nd place team. You can read about the seventh season here:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/...ead.php?t=36968

In my eighth season, we enjoyed great success. We had an early battle with Chelsea for the EPL lead. Eventually, our offense really started popping. Wayne Rooney had his best season ever as a Red Devil. Our defense came together. We won the EPL Title. We also won the English Cup Title. However, we fell short of the quadruple and lost in the final of the Champions League and the English FA Cup. Those were both disappointing losses. A developing story all year long was Wayne Rooney's dissatisfaction that I would not let him go to Milan or another "more prestigious club" that made huge offers for him. You can read about the eighth season here:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/...ead.php?t=37396

In my ninth season, the big question going in was if I would be able to sign Wayne Rooney or if I would have to sell him. Fortunately, just before I was about to sell him, I managed to sign Rooney to a new deal. Behind the dynamic duo of Wayne Rooney and Adriano at striker, along with a solid defense we finished 1st in the EPL for a second straight year. Perhaps, more importantly, we won the Champions League for my first time as a manager.

Read all about the 9th season here:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/...ead.php?t=37735

In my 10th season, things had settled down. We had Rooney under a long term contract and our offense looked set. However, our defense had questions as Lucio and Rio Ferdinand were aging. Also, Wes Brown was aging and losing his skills. Would these guys be able to hold on for one more season? Would my replacements such as Salva, Marchetti, and Cahais step up? I gradually started the phasing out of Lucio and Ferdinand but they both played in some key games. However, Salva and Marchetti generally did well and proved they can play on this level. Also, we had an explosive offense led by Wayne Rooney who had his best year ever for me with 36 goals and 14 assists in 36 starts. I also saw the surprising developing of Antonio Ortega and Carlos Godoy. We did well and we won the EPL Title for the third straight year. However, we faltered in the quarterfinals of the Champions League and we only pulled off a double. We want.. no we need to build on that success and do better next season. Oh yeah, I helped guide England to one their best World Cup Finishes in a long time. There was a suprising villian that ended our run.

You can read about my 10th season here:

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...ad.php?t=38819

Now we start my 11th season. Lucio, Rio Ferdinand, and Wes Brown are three of my all time favorite players. Unfortunately, I will be phasing Lucio and Ferdinand out much more this year. Salva and Marchetti are the guys right now. The jury is still out on Cahais, but I need to use him more and see if he can really play at this level. Wes Brown and Zdenek Grygera still have a bit left, but I need to acquire a star right back to further strengthen our defense. That will be a major focus early in the season. We scored 100 league goals last year, and I hope to match that level of excellence again this year. Can we do it?

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-08-2005 at 05:35 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 9, 2014 -

The transfer budget for the upcoming year will be 41 million dollars.

The board is delighted with my performance. They expect us to repeat and win the EPL Title.

I've decided to target Everton's star right back Sean Brady who is only 21 and has already become a premier right back/centreback who can also play in the midfield. He lacks footspeed, and this concerns me a bit, but he has been very effective because he does everything else so well including anticipating the action. Besides, signed an Everton star worked out for Manchester United fairly well about 10 years ago. Everton knows this kid is special and they have rejected a 30 million dollar offer. I've countered with 33 million plus 40% of next sale.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 10, 2014 -

According to the media, Roma wants Salva They are reported to be willing to offer about 20 million dollars for him. I don't want to let him go at any price...

I know Salva loves his native country and I'm afraid this could end badly for us...

Chelsea's Freddy Adu just signed a new 3 year deal worth 28.5 million dollars

Darn, he was just about to become an unprotected player.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:56 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 11, 2014 -

Salva has told Soccernet.com that it would take a very attractive offer to lure him away from Old Trafford, but that he would be interested in talking to Roma

Chelsea has signed Stefano Di Stefano on a Bosman deal. This kid is a young promising keeper. Interesting signing.

Everton rejected my 33 million dollar offer for Brady. This kid is one of the best jumpers and most physical defenders in the game. I offer them 35 million and 50% of next sale.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:59 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 11, 2014 -

Today we play at FC Kobenhavn in a friendly match. My goal is to warm up the guys who didn't play in the WC (much), and to try out our new acquisition. I'll phase him into the game.

It's sunny with temperatures in the 60's.

GK: Adriano
DL: Chivu
DC: Cahais
DC: Marchetti
DR: Grygera
ML: Alfonso
MC: Fletcher
MC: Parker
MR: Schreurs
SC: McFadden
SC: Adriano

S1: Howard
S2: Djemba
S3: Godoy
S4: King
S5: Wood
S6: Ortega
S7: Smith
S8: Ferdinand
S9: Lucio
S10: Rooney
S11: Barbosa
S12: Cook
Old 06-08-2005, 06:22 PM   #6
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

1st minute: Marchetti with a good defensive play.

15 minute mark: Grygera with a key defensive play.

34 minute mark: Marchetti has picked up a knock. I put Ferdinand on for him.

I just wanted to see a taste of Adriano, so I put King on for him.

44 minute mark: Cahais tripped Asmussen just outside the box.. Thomas Nielsen takes a shot.. it deflects off the wall.. towards the left corner.. Adriano dives.. gets a hand on it.. it still goes in. GOAL. Down 1-0.

Halftime: 1-0 deficit.

I put Cook on for Fletcher and Barbosa on for Alfonso. Let's see what the new guy can do.

45 minute mark: Cook steals it at midfield.. passes it to McFadden.. Mcfadden passes between two defenders to King just outside the box.. King dribbles into the box.. shoots.. lower right corner.. GOAL!!!! 1-1.

54 minute mark: Barbosa with a corner kick.. to the near post.. Schreurs heads it.. the keeper saves it.

55 minute mark: McFadden steals a pass from the keeper to the defender.. shoots.. lower right corner.. GOAL!!!! 2-1. Great play by McFadden to intercept that one.

61 minute mark: I put Godoy on for McFadden, Wood on for Parker, Ortega on for Schreurs, Lucio on for Cahais.

70 minute mark: Jensen with a point blank shot.. Adriano with an acrobatic save.

86 minute mark: Ferdinand starts the counterattack.. long pass to King in the box.. he shoots.. upper right corner.. the keeper dives.. blocks it.

88 minute mark: Barbosa passes it to King in the middle of the box.. he shoots.. upper left corner.. over the bar.

Game over. 2-1 win for us.

We outshot them 17-10 (8-4 on target)

Adriano had a 9 for form and played very well in goal. Chivu, Parker, McFadden, and King all had 8's for form. Everyone else had a 7.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:35 PM   #7
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 13, 2014 -

WOW! I'm shocked to be offered the manager job for both Portugal and Argentina today! While both have some good young talent, I'm determined to try to bring glory to England. I turn down both offers.

Everton rejected my latest offer. I make my final offer (not because I'm at my transfer limit, but because this is almost twice his "value) of 40 million dollars plus 50% of next sale for Sean Brady.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:11 PM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 15, 2014 -

Milan Boss Luca Trucchi has been named the new manager of Italy.

Hmm.. my England U19 squad faces Serbia & Mont. in the European U19 Championship Group B match while my Manchester United squad has a friendly. I decide to focus on the friendly, and just offer Steve some minor suggestions for the U19 match.

Today we play Beveren in a friendly match. I don't have many friendly matches scheduled this year and this one will be important for conditioning.

GK: Howard (He's still the better keeper and will start most of our important matches.)
DL: O'Shea
DC: Salva
DR: Brown
MC: Djemba
SC: Barbosa (he has all the talents to play striker)
SC: King

S1: Adriano, GK
S2: Wood
S3: Cook
S4: Smith
s5: Cahais
S6: Godoy
S7: Ortega
S8: Ferdinand
S9: Downing
S10: Adriano
S11: Schmidt
S12: Fletcher
Old 06-08-2005, 07:31 PM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

4 minute mark: Alfonso passes to Barbosa in the box.. he shoots.. upper right corner.. good save by the keeper.

(OOPS: I was getting the laundry out to pack for my trip and missed the first half - despite the fact that I swore I paused it. Looks suspiciously at the cat.)

Halftime: 0-0 tie.

Downing on for Alfonso who has picked up a minor injury. Cahais on for Marchetti who is playing badly.

55 minute mark: Downing dribbles down the left sideline.. crosses to the middle of the box.. Barbosa heads it.. the keeper pushes it over the bar.

60 minute mark: I bring on the entire bench including Adriano in goal and my other Adriano at striker.

64 minute mark: Downing with a corner.. to the middle of the box.. Adriano heads it.. the keeper pushed Adriano down! Penalty awarded.. Cook steps up.. shoots.. lower right corner.. GOAL!!!! 1-0.

77 minute mark: Janssen shoots from 20 yards out.. Cahais deflects the ball.. to the lower left corner.. past Adriano. Rough play by Cahais. GOAL. 1-1 game.

86 minute mark: Cook passes to Adriano in the box.. he shoots.. over the bar.

End of match. 1-1 tie.

We outshot them 13-5.

Schreurs won MoM. Downing and he had an 8 for form. Everyone else had a 7.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:02 PM   #10
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 18, 2014 -

WOW! Everton have countered my 40 million dollar offer. They want 29 million up front, 26 million over 6 months and Andy Ford for Sean Brady. I'd like to have this talented defender, but I can't afford that. I'll pass.

I decide to target Mark van den Boogaart. He is a 28 year old dutch defender/midfielder who can play on the right side or in the centre. He is very fast and highly skilled. My only concern is that the scouts think his teamwork isn't always very good. However, he is a very gifted defender who is always positioned well. I offer Betis 20 million for this player.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:32 PM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 20, 2014 -

Newcastle spent 18 million dollars to sign Dutch Goalkeeper Michel Testerink from PSV.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:04 PM   #12
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 23, 2014 -

Betis have rejected my offer of 20 million for Mark van den Boogaart. I counter with 24 million.

Portugal have named Atletico de Madrid boss Victor Fernandez as the new national coach.

Argentina have hired Gerardo Martino to be their new manager.

Arsenal have decided to pursue Leeds' Striker Gregory Maury as the long term replacement to Javier Saviola.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:26 PM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 24, 2014 -

My AM reminds me each of the following player's contract expires in the next year:

Zdenek Grygera - 34 year old right back is already starting to decline. I don't plan on offering him a new deal.

Carlos Godoy - This 23 year old right winger/midfielder is becoming a very good rotation player. He is currently making 4,000/week. I contact his agent. Godoy wants 59,000/week plus he wants to be a key player. I can't promise him that. However, I promise him a rotation spot and that 59,000/week. I also offer him the requested 1 million dollar signing bonus.

Alan Smith - This 33 year old striker is slipping and I don't plan on offering him a new deal.

Eric Djemba Djemba - This 33 year old midfielder still has great skill. He is willing to take a small pay cut to 70,000/week. I offer him an additional year on his contract.

Tim Howard - He is 35 and he is starting to decline, but he is still an effective keeper. He wants to be promised a starter role and 77,000/week which is his current salary to do a 1 year extension. I agree, but Adriano will be rotating in more. I also give him the requested 1.5 million dollar signing bonus.

Cristian Chivu - He is 33 and injuries are speeding his decline. I won't offer him a new deal.

Rio Ferdinand - He is 35, but he is still an effective defender at times. He is declining, but I'm going to offer him an extension for 1 year out of loyalty to this long time player. I'm asking him to take a paycut down to 70,000/week.

Lucio - He is 36 and he is declining some, but he still has a bit of football left in him. I'll offer him a 1 year extension to be a rotation player if he wants to do that and take a pay cut.

craig King - This 24 year old striker is our 3rd best striker. He would be a #1 on many teams. He is currently making 70,000/week. I contact his agent about a long term extension. He wants 2.8 million up front, 130,000/week and a first team spot. While he won't be an every game first team player, I will use him plenty. I agree to his terms which will extend his deal for 3 more years.

Alfonso - This 22 year old left winger is becoming a very reliable player. He is currently making 25,000/week. I want to offer him a long term extension. He is requesting 70,000/week and a 1.5 million signing bonus. I agree to his terms.

Matais Cahais - This 26 year old defender is my third best defender and is a good player. He is currently making 26,000/week. He is willing to take a 4 year extension at 28,000/week with a signing bonus of 500,000. I agree to his terms. He also realizes he will be a rotator which is great.

Andy Ford - This 22 year old striker is just too slow. I'll let him go after this season.

Anthony Morris - This 20 year old striker has some potential. I might sign him at the last minute if he develops a bit more.

Souleymane Mamam - This 29 year old midfielder has good abilities, but he has never fit in. I'll let him go when his contract expires.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:38 PM   #14
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 26, 2014 -

Tim Howard signed a new 2 year deal worth 9 million dollars.

Eric Djemba Djemba signed his new 2 year deal worth 7.2 million dollars.

Matias Cahais signed a new 4 year deal worth 5.4 million dollars.

Ferdinand signed his extension and indicated that he will retire after the deal is done.

Craig King rejected our contract offer I tried to get him to sign a 4 year deal. I back it down to a 3 year deal that he was requesting.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:41 PM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 26, 2014 -

Today we travel to play Chievo in our final friendly match before the Community Shield match. Chieve has a very talented team and this match is going to be televised. However, I'm really just worried about finishing our conditioning for the real matches.

GK: Howard
DL: Schmidt
SC: Rooney

S2: Cook
S3: Godoy
S4: Chivu
S5: Wood
S6: Downing
S7: Barbosa
S8: Cahais
S9: Ortega
S10: Brown
S11: Lucio
S12: Djemba
Old 06-08-2005, 09:57 PM   #16
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

1st minute: Rooney passes to Adriano.. he shoots from 30 yards out.. powerful banana shot.. upper right corner.. it hits the crossbar.

12 minute mark: Marchetti passes long to Alfonso.. he heads it to Rooney in the box.. Rooney shoots.. upper left corner.. the keeper pushes it over the bar.

16 minute mark: Alfonso passes to Rooney left of the box.. Rooney dribbles past two defenders.. draws another over.. crosses it to the far post.. Schreurs heads it.. into the upper right corner.. GOAL!!!! 1-0.

22 minute mark: Rooney takes the corner kick.. lifts it towards the center of the box.. Adriano outjumps two defenders.. heads it.. into the upper left corner.. GOAL!!!! 2-0!

27 minute mark: Fletcher shoots from 25 yards out.. the keeper barely parries it.. Adriano gets the rebound.. shoots.. upper right corner.. GOAL!!!! 3-0! That is Adriano's second.

44 minute mark: Schmidt throws it in.. to Fletcher who is left of the box.. Fletcher crosses it to the far post.. Schreurs heads it.. into the upper right corner! GOAL!!!! 4-0! Schreurs's second of the game.

Halftime: 4-0 lead.

52 minute mark: Fletcher passes to Schreurs on the right wing.. he passes to Alfonso in the left side of the box.. he centers to Rooney in the middle of the box.. Rooney shoots.. upper left corner.. GOAL!!!! 5-0.

66 minute mark: I've been trying to get a stoppage in play for the last 6 minutes. I finally get one and bring in the bench players.

77 minute mark: Ortega dribbles into the right corner of the pitch.. crosses it.. beautiful curling cross.. to the near post.. Godoy heads it.. wide right of the net.

89 minute mark: Silva de Arujlo bodychecks Barbosa hard.. Barbosa is hurt.. Silva gets a red card.

Game over. 5-0 win.

We outshot them 19-1 (10-1 on target)

Adriano wins MoM for his 2 goals. He and Rooney both had 10's for form. My entire midfield starters all had 9's for form.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:01 PM   #17
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Post Match Info:

Helder Barbosa suffered a calf strain and will miss about 2 weeks.

Betis have accepted my offer for Mark van den Boogaart. His agent states that he wants 74,000/week for 2 years with a 1.4 million dollar signing bonus. Interestingly, Carlos doesn't believe he is worth signing. That is worrisome, but I trust my eye. I go through with the deal, but I up the years to 3 to see if he will accept it.

Lucio signed his new deal and indicated that he plans on retiring after this contract is up.

Alfonso signed a new 4 year worth 14 million dollars.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #18
weinstein7
High School JV

I'm must admit, I'm a little confused by the van den Boogaart signing. If your primary objective is to get younger, what good will a 28 year old MF do for you?
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:13 PM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinstein7
I'm must admit, I'm a little confused by the van den Boogaart signing. If your primary objective is to get younger, what good will a 28 year old MF do for you?

He is a stop gap. I'm not convinced that Wes Brown or Zdenek Grygera can be competitive on the top level of competition for this year. Boogaart is good enough to play in the EPL. There weren't any young right backs who are available that are good enough to play in the EPL now or even a year from now. Of course, I would have much rather had Sean Brady, but I was not going to pay 55 million for a right back who is a bit slow (even if he is great at everything else.) Heck, I don't think I'd pay 55 million for any right back.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:30 PM   #20
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola - the other thing about this signing is that 28 isn't too old. Downing was 26 when I signed him. This guy probably has 3 or 4 quality years in him. So, he isn't a very short term stop gap. Remember Grygera and Brown are in their mid 30's and they are just finally becoming ineffective.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:47 PM   #21
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 28, 2014 -

Gary Megson has been sacked by Newcastle. Micky Adams is believed to be the favorite to take over the job.

Carlos Godoy signed a new 3 year deal worth 9 million dollars.

Craig King rejected my latest contract offer

He is now asking for 140,000/week. Carlos thinks we should offer up to 150,000/week. I offer 140k plus 2.8 million for a 3 year deal (this year plus 2 more.)

Arsenal paid 30 million dollars to sign Hatem Ben Arfa from Liverpool.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:47 PM   #22
weinstein7
High School JV

OK, fair enough. You obviously know your team better than I do

Do salaries increase over time in FM?
Old 06-08-2005, 10:57 PM   #23
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 29, 2014 -

Mark van den Boogaart has accepted my contract offer. He said that he is thrilled to be working with such a good manager. At least he knows how to kiss up

Today the odds for the EPL were announced:

We are the favorites with 6-4 odds.

Chelsea is second with 7-4 odds, Arsenal has 2-1 odds, Liverpool has 5-2 oods.

Tottenham and Aston Villa are next with 33-1 odds.

The media have asked if I think we will win like the experts are predicting. I give my standard pat response, "We have a chance of winning the title but the players must stay focused and give their best in every match."

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-08-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:58 PM   #24
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OK, fair enough. You obviously know your team better than I do

Do salaries increase over time in FM?

It depends. Some players demand escalator clauses in their contracts such as 10% annual raise. However, most of my players are on flat contracts right now.

However, if they start "outperforming" their contracts, they will start complaining quite vocally to the media
Old 06-08-2005, 11:02 PM   #25
weinstein7
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
It depends. Some players demand escalator clauses in their contracts such as 10% annual raise. However, most of my players are on flat contracts right now.

However, if they start "outperforming" their contracts, they will start complaining quite vocally to the media

No, no, I mean is there inflation, like in FOF?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:03 PM   #26
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 30, 2014 -

Fans surrounded the stadium and cheered in droves at the signing of Mark van den Boogaart. Our Commercial Director reports that he thinks this will boost sales of shirts.

Matias Cahais sees Mark van den Boogaart as a threat to his job and he is mouthing off to the media. Doesn't the idiot realize I plan on playing this new signing exclusively at right back?

I tell Cahais to shut up and play football through the media. I also tell him that I hope the competition brings out his best.

Speaking of idiots, Craig King rejected our latest contract offer

I'm offering him the exact fee that he wants and I assume he is angry about not being a more regular first team member I offer him 150,000/week and a 4 million dollar signing bonus. If he doesn't sign this, I'm just going to try to play him more and make him happy that way.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:04 PM   #27
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, no, I mean is there inflation, like in FOF?

Not that I've seen. The best players in the world generally make around 160,000 - 200,000 dollars/week in 2004 or 2014.

I'm fairly certain that finances remain static throughout time.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:12 PM   #28
weinstein7
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Not that I've seen. The best players in the world generally make around 160,000 - 200,000 dollars/week in 2004 or 2014.

I'm fairly certain that finances remain static throughout time.

That's nice. I always lost interest in FOF when punters started asking for 5mil salaries, and I realized they actually weren't that out of line.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:18 PM   #29
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's nice. I always lost interest in FOF when punters started asking for 5mil salaries, and I realized they actually weren't that out of line.

I absolutely agree.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:21 PM   #30
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

August 2, 2014 -

The board is delighted with my performance as manager.

Milan cancelled the sale of Frank Wolf to Liverpool at the last minute. Liverpool is reportedly livid.

Craig King finally signed a new deal that will be worth 26.5 million over 3 years.

Wow! The board has announced that due to our excellent financial position they are making 20 million more available to me in transfer funds. Therefore, I now have almost 40 million available again for transfers. I might pick up a young right back if I can find one as my scouts continue to look.

Newcastle have hired Micky Adams as manager.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:32 PM   #31
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Aug 3, 2014 -

Today we play Leicester in the English Community Shield. This game is always an important "friendly." Leicester's best player attacking midfielder Hector is injured and won't be playing. Dean Ashton is a great striker and he will be difficult to stop from scoring. Jafeth Asprilla is a good supportung striker. Ari Nyman is a decent centreback. Martin English and Edgar Barreto are good midfielders. Paul Gallacher is still a good keeper.

We are 1-6 favorites.

It's sunny and over 100 degrees today!!!

ML: Downing

S3: Alfonso
S4: Ortega
S5: O'Shea
S6: McFadden
S7: King
Old 06-08-2005, 11:43 PM   #32
thealmighty
Pro Starter

What is your total weekly wages now and what is your wage budget? Those numbers seem to add up to quite a hefty sum.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:06 AM   #33
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

3 minute mark: Downing passes to Fletcher in the box.. he shoots.. upper left corner.. over the bar.

7 minute mark: Downing dribbles past two defenders.. crosses it to the center of the box.. Parker heads it.. over the bar.

15 minute mark: Schreurs dribbles past two defenders.. to right of the box.. crosses it to the near post.. Adriano with a powerful header.. upper right corner! GOAL!!!!! 1-0.

20 minute mark: Asprilla burns Grgygera.. dribbles into the box.. crosses it to the far post.. Ashton heads it.. Howard saves it.

27 minute mark: Howard stops a point blank shot from Ashton.

35 minute mark: Barreto passes to Marquinhos just outside the box.. he shoots.. it deflects off Marchetti into the right side of the net! GOAL. 1-1 game.

45 minute mark: Downing crosses to Parker.. he heads it.. it hits the crossbar.. Adriano hits it on the half-volley as it cannons off the crossbar.. GOAL!!!! 2-1! That is Adriano's second of the game.

Halftime: 2-1 lead for us.

There are over 90,000 fans here today.

The heat is tiring my guys out, but I'll leave them in for a few more minutes.

60 minute mark: O'Shea on for Schmidt (I want to keep Schmidt as fresh as possible for the important games), McFadden on for Rooney, and King on for Adriano.

70 minute mark: Parker intercepts it at midfield.. passes to McFadden.. he dribbles between two defenders.. shoots.. lower left corner.. the keeper dives.. blocks it.. Downing gets the rebound.. shoots.. upper left corner.. GOAL!!!! 3-1.

Game over. 3-1 win

We each had 12 shots. We each had 7 shots on target.

Tim Howard wins MoM, 8 for form, 19 of 26 passes, 6 saves.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:09 AM   #34
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty
What is your total weekly wages now and what is your wage budget? Those numbers seem to add up to quite a hefty sum.

The board is currently allowing me to pay up to 2.8 million dollars/week! That stadium expansion has really added to our revenue stream and the wage budget.

We are currently approximately 500,000 dollars under the wage budget.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:10 AM   #35
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Post Match Info:

The board is very pleased with our win in the Community Shield.

Jeroen Schreurs sprained his ankle and will miss about a week.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:26 AM   #36
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

August 5, 2013 -

Gabriele Marchetti is devasted after he injured his ankle in practice today. He is expected to be out about a week, but he is desperate to play in the season opener and is hoping to play sooner. (OOC: I'm paraphrasing slightly, but this has to be one of the coolest news stories I've ever seen in FM.)

I promise Marchetti that he will play plenty this year, and we are just going to focus on getting him healthy.

Carlos Godoy suffered a groin strain and will miss about 2 weeks.

OH MY!! Liverpool has offered Chelsea 115 (that is not a typo) Million dollars for Freddy Adu! They have also offered unspecified future incentives.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:33 AM   #37
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Aug 7, 2014 -

Juventus have signed Dani, a 25 year old stud midfielder, for 20 million dollars from Coventry.

Coventry fans and players are furious that Dani was sold and that the squad is becoming too small to be competive.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:39 AM   #38
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

(OOC Note: I really should be going to bed as I have to fly tomorrow, but I hate flying and am not tired enough to go to bed. Depending upon the weather in KC, this dynasty might not get too many updates for the next 4 days after tonight. Of course, if it is raining quite a lot [which the early forecasts are saying it might] I might play some FM to relax in the hotel.)

Aug 9, 2014 -

We open up the season on the road against Tottenham. They are considered a blackhorse to win the title. They have a good team. Tottenham is led by striker Carlton Cole who at 30 shows no signs of slowing down. Andrea Conte is a relatively new striker who looks skilled. Paul Robinson is their keeper and as evidenced in the World Cup, he is still an excellent keeper. Momo is a good left winger. Cani is a good midfielder. Jesus is angry that he isn't being used in goal. Mbuelelo Mabizela is a good defender.

We are 4-6 favorites.

It's sunny with temperatures in the 80's.

DC: Lucio
DR: Boogaart (in his debut)
MR: Ortega (Schreurs is injured)

S2: Chivu
S3: Cook
S5: Stevanovic (I do need to play him a bit this year. If we get a lead, I'll use him.)
Old 06-09-2005, 01:01 AM   #39
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

1st minute: Ryan passes to Braaten in the box.. he shoots.. upper right corner.. excellent save by Howard.

2 minute: Boogaart with a long pass to start the counter attack.. Adriano gets to it.. centers for Rooney in the middle of the box.. he shoots from 8 yards out.. great save by their keeper.

4 minute mark: Schmidt gets a yellow card for a trip on Cole.

12 minute mark: Boogaart with a good defensive play on Cole.

14 minute mark: Fletcher passes to Rooney in the box.. he puts a spin move on the defender.. he shoots.. upper right corner.. it hits the post.. and bounces in! GOAL!!!! 1-0.

16 minute mark: Adriano gets a yellow card for arguing an offside call.

31 minute mark: Ortega crosses it to the middle of the box.. Adriano heads it.. the keeper pushes it over the bar.

38 minute mark: Schmidt with a great defensive play on Cole.

Halftime: 1-0 lead for us. They have over 36,000 fans here today.

49 minute mark: Schmidt passes the ball into the box with a high curving pass.. Adriano outjumps the defender.. heads it.. into the upper right corner! GOAL!!!! 2-0.

51 minute mark: Braaten gets it left of the box.. he centers to Cole.. Cole heads it.. Howard dives.. pushes it over the bar.

55 minute mark: Boogaart starts the counterattack with a long pass.. Ortega gets it.. passes it between two defenders to Rooney in the box.. Rooney fakes out the keeper.. shoots it into the open left side of the net! GOAL!!!! 3-0.

72 minute mark: Chivu on for Schmidt, Cook on for Djemba, and King on for Rooney.

82 minute mark: Boogaart starts the counter attack.. passes it to Cook.. Cook passes it to Ortega just right of the box.. Ortega passes between two defenders.. to Adriano.. he shoots.. lower right corner.. GOAL!!!! 4-0!

88 minute mark: Boogaart gets a yellow card for obstructing Momo.

Game over. 4-0 win

We outshot them 19-6 (13-3 on target)

Great game by all of our starters.

Rooney wins MoM, 10 for form, 15 of 17 passes, 1 key pass, 1 of 3 tackles, 2 of 9 headers, 8 runs, 1 foul drawn, and 2 goals.

Adriano, Downing, and Ortega all had 10's for form.

Boogaart, Salva, and Fletcher had 9's for form.

All other starters had 8's for form.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:28 AM   #40
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Post Match Info:

Oops, I forgot to use Stevanovic.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:43 AM   #41
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Aug 10, 2014 -

West Ham beat Chelsea 2-1 at home today - Surprising result.

Aug 13, 2014 -

Today we host Liverpool. Liverpool has a great team, but they haven't replaced Hatem Ben Arfa yet and they are going to miss him IMHO. Also, Andres D'Alessandro, Nigel Reo-Coker, and Steven Gerrard are all injured. The only good midfielder playing for them today is Nuno Ferro. Yakubu and Cisse are still a dominant pair of strikers. Chris Kirkland is questionable for this match due to a shoulder injury. Ryan Warner might start in goal for them today.

We are 5-4 favorites.

It's sunny with temperatures in the high 90's!

DC: Lucio
DR: Boogaart
MR: Ortega

S3: Alfonso
S5: Ferdinand
Old 06-09-2005, 02:00 AM   #42
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The backup keeper is starting.. we should be able to score easily against him.

15 minute mark: Downing crosses it to the far post.. Ortega heads it.. over the bar.

17 minute mark: Lucio and Cisse collided... Cisse has to be carried off the pitch. He is done today.

28 minute mark: Boogaart with a good defensive play.

44 minute mark: Downing passes to Rooney in the box.. he shoots.. over the bar.

44 minute mark: Rooney has a breakaway after a great long pass from Lucio.. he dribbles into the box.. shoots.. lower right corner.. the keeper dives.. pushes it wide.. This keeper is playing well.

Halftime: 0-0 tie. We have over 91,000 fans here at this home opener.

46 minute mark: Downing with a corner kick.. to the near post.. Adriano heads it.. into the upper right corner! GOAL!!!! 1-0! That is Adriano's 50th career league goal for us.

53 minute mark: Boogaart with a long pass down the pitch to Rooney just outside the box.. he passes to Downing in the box.. Downing fakes right.. dribbles left.. shoots.. upper left corner.. GOAL!!!! 2-0!

58 minute mark: Adriano gets a yellow card after arguing an offside call.

61 minute mark: Our midfielders pass it back and forth probing the defense.. Fletcher passes it to Parker just inside the box.. Parker shoots.. strong curving shot.. upper right corner.. GOAL!!!! 3-0!

King on for Adriano, Alfonso on for Downing, and Ferdinand on for Lucio.

65 minute mark: Boogaart with a long pass to King in the box.. he shoots.. upper right corner.. excellent save by the keeper.

Game over. 3-0 win

We outshot them 12-6 (7-0 on target)

Downing wins MoM, 8 for form, 9 of 13 passes, 1 key pass, 2 of 5 headers, 2 of 4 tackles, 5 runs, 2 fouls drawn, 1 assist, and 1 goal.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:05 AM   #43
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Have a fun trip.

Since you don't plan to re-up Ford anyhow, have you tried a cheaper deal than Everton expected (the 26 + 26) but with Ford included? Like a 10 + 15 and Ford?

Failing that, there is the ever hated Real Madrid method of going to the press.

But I hate that one.

Coming to FM '06 near you . . . play the home-version of Chelsea's transfer style and use the TAPPING UP OPTION!
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:06 AM   #44
daedalus
Pro Rookie

It's really tough to tell that I'm a bitter, bitter Arsenal fan, isn't it?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:57 AM   #45
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

ROFL

I could never tell

Thanks for the well wishes on the trip Does hoping the Memphis airport (where I have a 2 hour lay over) has a hot spot to play and update my dynasty make me an FM addict
Old 06-09-2005, 11:12 AM   #46
DeToxRox
Head Coach

You're making me want this game. I just need a non POS computer.

Keep up the excellent work.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:34 PM   #47
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
You're making me want this game. I just need a non POS computer.

Keep up the excellent work.

Thank you!

I almost logged on at the Memphis airport just to play and post. I'm such an addict. In any case, I just had a really crappy trip up to KC due to some bad weather in Memphis apparently. So, I'm going to take a break and play with my dynasty for a bit before I get back to studying.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:00 PM   #48
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Aug 15, 2014 -

Roma have offered 25 million for Salva. I don't want him to go, but I don't want to upset him either. I agree to let him go for 65 million dollars. Let's see if they want to pay that much.

Craig King injured his knee in practice yesterday and will miss about a week. I was planning on starting him in our game tomorrow, so now I need to make some last minute changes (which I don't like doing.)
Old 06-09-2005, 07:09 PM   #49
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Aug 16, 2014 -

Arsenal have paid 21 million dollars to Leverkusen for Nicky Platt. Nicky is a 26 year old striker who has some skills, but is VERY slow. I personally find this a peculiar signing although he might have some utility as a stationary target man as he is good at heading the ball and finishing.

Today we play an EPL match at Fulham. Fulham is doing well very early in the season. Michael Rensing has been dominant in goal early. Thomas Hitzlsperger remains a very effective midfielder at the age of 32. Collins John is doing well at the striker position. Collins is an excellent finisher. Helder Postiga is also a very good striker. The young Joaquin is developing into a very good midfielder. Enrico Gaede has become a decent defender.

We are 4-5 favorites.

It's sunny with temperatures in the 70's.

DL: Chivu
DR: Brown
SC: Barbosa

S2: Lucio
S3: McFadden
S4: Ortega
S5: O'Shea
Old 06-09-2005, 07:30 PM   #50
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Well a big oops! I forgot to plug my laptop in, and it just died (immediately after giving the warning message.) I'm running again, but I presumably lost the last 3 days of the game universe (including a 3-0 lead over Fulham with Schreurs having 2 goals and an assist)