Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2004, 10:55 AM   #1
Radii
Head Coach

Radii's Poker Dynasty, take 2

Tredwel did this with much success awhile ago, Quiksand is documenting a different kind of thing, live poker, of which I am very envious since I don't have the access to similar stakes live, and I would love to work on my live game.

I tried a poker dynasty in the past but it didn't last because I played multiple tables. I have in the last two months been my most profitable when I have slowed down to 1 table and really started paying attention. I have also stopped bouncing around so much from one style to another, I have started to learn what I do best, and what I don't do so well.

I plan to start this out TredWel style, documenting hands as I go.

The game i've been playing with the most success is a bit different, $5/$10 limit short tales (max 6 players). The styles here are a bit different, the standard tight/agressive style of play doesn't hold up because the blinds hit you so fast, you can't just wait for a hand and play solid poker.

The advantage here though, is that way too many people take this to an extreme. It's a short table so you have to be a bit looser, but many people are extrodinarily loose(at some 6 man tables 2 players will see 80% or more of all flops, these are things of beauty to watch). You have to bluff a bit more and push with just A-high more, but some people do this every hand, and you have to make more crying calls with bottom pair or just A-high on the river, some people turn into calling stations here... reading these players and manipulating them is how I make my money here.

I don't mind documenting my profits and losses, and I'll do that here. I just ended the month of April showing a profit of $2100, more than i've made in the last year playing poker online, and I feel i'm starting to come into my own. I have played a *lot* of poker over the last year, and I am finally starting to feel like I have a decent grasp of the game.

I use pokertracker religiously. When I sit down at a table, while I wait for the blind to hit me, I load up tracker and see if I've ever seen my opponents before.

I occasionally play a multi-table NL tourney if I'm up for the week/month(but not if i'm down, I don't want to piss away all my profits in tournaments that I know I need practice on and am still dead money), and when I'm running bad at 5/10 i take a break and play $50+$5 Sit N' Go's on party. I'll try to document all of these.

That's a nice long winded beginning. I love discussion of specific hands, and have thoroughly enjoyed QickSand's dynasty, so hopefully I will be able to trigger some discussion of my own and improve my own game in this thread.

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 10:57 AM   #2
Radii
Head Coach

I wanted to start this thread to try to hold myself to this idea, I've wanted to start this back up for a little while now, but, I might not actually get to sit down and play again until the FOFC tournament Sunday night. Today is my fiancee's birthday, and we are going out somewhere tonight as a family, and tomorrow night I am taking her out to dinner, but look for updates every couple of days starting Monday.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:22 AM   #3
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
I use pokertracker religiously. When I sit down at a table, while I wait for the blind to hit me, I load up tracker and see if I've ever seen my opponents before.

What version of poker tracker are you on now? A couple of patches ago Pat added the ability to export player data to the party poker notes. You can have notes added to any of the players you have played against in party poker. You can have VP$IP, PFR% W$SD% etc etc. Essentially all of the poker tracker stats right in the part poker notes. So when you sit at a table you will already have that info and not even need to open Poker Tracker.

It is a wonderful addition to the program.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 12:01 PM   #4
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
What version of poker tracker are you on now? A couple of patches ago Pat added the ability to export player data to the party poker notes. You can have notes added to any of the players you have played against in party poker. You can have VP$IP, PFR% W$SD% etc etc. Essentially all of the poker tracker stats right in the part poker notes. So when you sit at a table you will already have that info and not even need to open Poker Tracker.

I just creamed my pants.

Though I'd still use tracker to look at agression stats(which are well hidden but extremely interesting), but that would be nice to have instead of having to manually look up each player.

I'm on version 2, I don't know if I have the latest patch though, I'll grab it before I sit down at the table next. I don't think I've updated in a month or two.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:03 PM   #5
primelord
Pro Rookie

Yea it is an awesome update. When you place your cusor over a party note the little pop up box feature shows the first like 200 charcters of the note so you can get the VP$IP and PFR% without even having to open up the note. It is great.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:55 PM   #6
Radii
Head Coach

We start 4 handed

Hand 1: QQ in the big blind. The little blind limps, I raise, folded to me.

Hand #6 - we're up to 5 handed, biggdogg369 has joined the table and raises and bets hard with K7o out of position. Mmmmm.

Hand #7: Up to 6 handed, KINGKULL is with us.

Hand #8: Biggdogg369 has just lost his first $100 in a raising war with nothing vs pocket 9s... He rebuys for $250 and keeps going at it, capping the turn and river the very next hand, this time he had a real hand though(67o for a straight)

Hand #10: A6 clubs from UTG, I raise it up, get re-raised by the small blind, I call and fold on a ragged flop. SB had QQ.

Hand #15: A6 spades in the cutoff, folded to me, I raise, and I take the blinds

Biggdogg is trying to run over the table, but he's catching cards too. People have called down his ace-high 3 times in a row with nothing.

Hand #16: I decide to fold A5s UTG. Sometimes I'll mix it up here, sometimes I won't, and with biggdogg behind me, I think I won't think time.

Hand #19: Biggdogg raises UTG, folded to me in the SB, where I see jacks, I re-raise and he calls, we are heads up. Flop is Qxx, I bet, turn is another rag, I bet and take down a $53 pot.

Hand #20: 1 limper to me on the button, I've got ATo and raise, 3 way on the flop. I hit an ace, and bet when its checked to me. Flop is A73, two hearts. Down to heads up as one folds. On the turn (Qc) and River (Qd) I bet out and am called (by biggdogg), who called my raise with 63 and hit bottom pair w/ a 6 kciker and called it down. I take down an $80 for my efforts.

Hand #21: folded all the way around, first time I have seen that tonight

Hand #24: Q2o in the BB, 4 of us see the flop for the single bet, but I get out when the flop misses me totally.

Hand #25: A6o in the SB, biggdogg raises UTG again and I'm tempted to make a play at him, but he has shown down enough hands when he's raised that I stay out of the way. I was hoping he'd have to show this one down, but he wins it on the turn with two aces on the board.

Hand #26: AQo on the button, ODD6268 raises(he's been in a lot of flops) and I push hard, re-raising, biggdogg calls, odd caps it. Flop is Qxx and I have hit a nice one, odd bets, I raise, biggdogg is out and odd calls. Turn and river are undercards to the jack, and I bet and am called. I take down a very nice $120 pot. ODD was playing with pocket 6s that didn't hit.

Hand #28: A8s in the middle somewhere. I raise it, and get 3 callers, including the in most every hand biggdogg and odd6268. The flop comes down 6T3 with 1 spade. I decide to check instead of bet it out, something about 3 opponents... Biggdogg bets, the other two call and I make a very questionable call. the turn hits my 8, I have 2nd pair now. I bet out, biggdogg raises, kingkull calls in between us, and I just call, prepared to call down 2nd pair but I won't be betting. The river changes that with an ace, I now have two pair. I bet, biggdogg calls and kull folds. Dogg had JT for top pair, I rivered him, and I learn to be a bit more careful around him, he so far has just called with his worse hands but bet out his better ones, I need to respect his raises. My river nets me a $138 pot.

Hand #37: A5o in the SB, one limper to me, I complete and biggdogg calls the big blind. Aces are good today, I flop one, A67, and I bet it, dogg calls me. The turn is another ace and I bet again, and again dogg calls me. The river completes a backdoor heart flush, I bet into it and dogg calls me down, he had 56, bottom pair crap kicker. Again, he calls with any piece of the flop, but raises with good ones. My pot is $63, and I am up to $460 from my $250 buyin in about 20 minutes.

Hand #41: we are 4 handed for now, biggdogg to my left, kingkull and odd6268 follow them. None of these players worry me at all, any sort of cards at all and I feel very good here.

Hand #44: QTo in the small blind. all four of us are in for the small bet The flop is JT5 and I have middle pair. I bet out as the first to act, ODD6268 raises me, and I go into check/call mode unless I catch more of the board. Turn is another 5, river is a blank. Odd bets the turn, checks the river and I learn that he was betting on T7, I outkick him for the $68 pot.

Sysreq joins the table to my right. The name is vaguely familier but he's not in tracker.

Hand #50: I get Q7o in the SB, I'm willing to complete the blind with this, but when biggdogg raises behind me, I'm not interested in playing for another bet, I fold. This is one of the improvements I've made in my game, in the past I would not have been able to give up this hand since I'd already invested in it. Turns out biggdogg had AQ and I would have gotten destroyed.

Hand #52: A2o UTG, I don't like that even 5 handed, fold (I'm trying to at least mildly highlight any hand where I had a decision to make, even if it was a free one).

Hand #59: AKo in the SB. A new player, PokSaw raises, odd6268 calls, I re-raise and its called. Flop is QT4. I bet and he raises, I call. Turn is a 2nd ten. I check, and he checks. That confused me enough to bet the river. The river was a blank, I bet, he raised and I called. He showed down T9 suited to take down a nice pot. that little hit drops me to $411 and I'm not sure what to make of my new friend poksaw. His check worked, as I tried to take the pot on the river. but I was calling him down no matter what, so he didn't get any extra money out of me.

Hand #67: Q5 in the big blind. it's folded to the SB, who raises me. I call, prepared to bet hard with any piece of it. The flop comes J65, bottom pair. SB bets, I raise, he folds. I AM THE MANLIER OF THE TWO.

Hand #68: A8s in the small blind. I raise when a few limp to me, and get 3 callers. The flop misses me completely, 664, I bet, get raised, and I call, I don't trust ODD6268(the raiser). The turn is a jack, and I fold when Odd bets again. Turns out he bluffed me on the flop, but he caught a pair w/ J9 on the turn. I drop down to $397.

Hand #73: JJ in the big blind, familiar faces as biggdogg raises, odd calls, and I raise. Flop comes 876 with two diamonds, a scary one. I bet, and biggdogg raises, odd6268 calls, I call. He's been passive with his worse hands so I put him on a good draw or top pair, I may still be best and actually should have re-raised in retrospect, but visions of 88 flashed through my mind enough to make me hit the call button. The turn, a jack! I bet out, and now dogg just calls, odd6268 is still in as well. The river is a terrible card, a 4, giving any single 5 a straight. I bet out anyway(genearlly bad to fear the single card), biggdogg raises, odd6268 calls again, I sigh as I press the call button, and grin when he turns over pocket 4s, he rivered trips to lose to my turned trips. Odd6268 had J9, flopped the straight draw, turned top pair, a reasonable hand to stay in on. The pot of $165 puts me over $500, I've doubled my buyin.

We're 6 handed again, golfjoynt is now to my immediate left, best friend biggdogg369 is now two to my left.

My fiancee comes home from an excursion and I log off with $500.50.

NET: +$250.50

The cards hit me pretty well tonight, but this is a good example of reading people in 6 handed play. You can tell that I was focusing mainly on biggdogg and odd6268, they were in most of the hands so they were my opponents most of the time, but their play was so random and atrocious that I had no problem calling them down with middle pair, or betting with ace high hoping just to catch a pair, feeling I may well be best at the time. If those reads are off I lose a lot, but tonight, they were spot on.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:57 PM   #7
Radii
Head Coach

That was a stream of consciousness writing while I was playing. Comments and suggestions are welcome, I want this to be readable. If some of the "i bet, I bet I bet they eventually fold" hands clutter it up too much, i will be more selective. If it needs to be edited more, let me know, I want this to be useful and to generate discussion, so whatever I should do to get that, let me know.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:03 PM   #8
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Great work, Radii - love the style you're doing, giving some info on the other players.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:55 AM   #9
Radii
Head Coach

This'll probably be a short session, but we'll see if its worth posting

5 people at the table, 4 + me, I don't recognize anyone.

Hand #1: Q2s in the big blind, and I get a free flop along with two others. Hooray for free flops: QQJ. I bet and get a call from the player to my left, bullmoos. The turn is a blank, I bet and get raised... new table, new players, I should re-raise here, yes I lose to a queen, but I don't want to set an image of being able to be pushed around so easily. In spite of my reasoning, I call. The river is checked, and the bullmoos had 9T, trying to raise the turn on his draw. I'm off to a good start, opening with an $88 pot.

Hand #5: AKo UTG. I raise, get one caller. The flop misses me, J62, I bet and am called. The turn pairs the 6, I raise, get re-raised, and I decide to back down here and fold. This was TORMIS I was up against, and I lose a bit in this hand.

Hand #7: I steal bullmoos' blind with K7o(I'm SB, he's the BB) with a raise pre-flop after it was folded to me.

Hand #13: Bold play, or stupid luck? rounder1979 has raised 4 straight hands, I have 85 suited in the big blind. It's raised by rounder and I decide to call him and see if I can hit. Flop is A52. I bet my 2nd pair, he raises, and I call. The turn is a 5, I check-raise, get called, get called on the river and my trip 5s take down a $90 pot. He had a good suited ace. Blind luck i suppose. Don't think I should mess around like that anymore.

There's a combination of stupid things going on here... on another poker board I read, there is a common observation that references to the movie Rounders immediately signal poor play. Silly numbers(although this is a birth year probably) and slang add to that. It has been decided that Someone using the name "RounderDawg69" would be the single worst poker player on the planet. Also, 85 is a 'named hand' for silly reasons in my cheap, but entertaining dealers choice home game. How could I not play!?

Hand #20: I have A2o on the button. Folded to me, I raise, the big blind calls. Flop misses me, 499. BB checks, I bet, BB folds. I love poker.

Hand #24: folded to me in the small blind, pure steal with 69o, I'm called, and re-raised on the flop by rounder1979, I am out of there.

Hand #25: A9 hearts on the button, limped to me, I raise both the blinds call. The flop is a good one, AJ6, two hearts. Checked to me, I bet and only a new player, serling, calls me. Turn is a queen, not a heart, serling bets, I raise, and I win the pot right there. A modest $68 pot(partypoker counts my raise in there though, it's not as good as it looks)

Hand #27: ok, so the deck is hitting me over the head tonight. Pocket 3s in teh big blind, I get a free flop, flop is T43 for the set. Too bad everyone folds to me when I come out betting.

Hand #28: AJo in the small blind. Serling raises from UTG+1, I call as does the big blind. Yeah, the cards are hitting me over the head tonight. J43, two hearts. My ace is a heart. I don't check-raise often, but this is a great spot to, serling has the button and is morally obligated to bet if checked to him. He does bet and I raise, getting heads up. He calls me down from that point on, and I learn that the pre-flop raise came with KTo. A terrible, terrible raise IMO. I take down the $88 pot.

Hand #31: ATo, I raise and get heads up with Serling on the flop. The flop comes 664. Serling check/calls my bet on the flop, and then check raises me on the turn. I give back some of my money to him.

Hand #33: A7 in the big blind, 2 others with me in this flop. Flop comes 997, not a bad flop for me, though I might get in some trouble if I'm too agressive and the 9 is out there. I bet, and get called by both opponents. The turn is a king, the first player bets, and he has stayed out of the way until now so I have no idea what he has... a bad move heer but I call, as does my other opponent(named jax2003husky). The river brings a jack, now the first guy checks, i take the lead and bet again(the mantra here is, if you would call a bet, might as well be the one making the bet... one of these guys could easily have me beat but I don't see myself getting raised here). jax2003husky indeed calls me with KTo for the pot.

Hand #40: I try to steal with KJo from the button, and rounder1979 re-raises me, I call. Flop is Kxx, I bet and get called. Turn a blank, I bet, get raised, re-raise, cap, and I'm beat. I call the river to see pocket aces. This hand knocks me down to $268(buyins being $250 here).

At this point a very tight/agressive player joins the table. jasonmiska I have sat with for 100 hands accoding to pokertracker. He is a bit to tight for these tables(17% VP$P (that's voluntarily putting money into the pot)) but he is very agressive.

Hand #45: 3 limpers and me, with KJ suited, in the big blind. the flop comes 4TJ, I bet and get two callers. The turn is a king, giving me two pair, I bet out again and get just one caller. The river pairs the ten, but I can't stop for fear of that, I bet out and my one remaining opponent folds, giving me a $58 pot and putting me back up to $291.

Hand #54: I get pocket 9s and make the mandatory raise UTG+1, I get one caller, "YeahTerps" from annapolis, out of the big blind. The flop comes 853, a good one for me. yeahterps bets out, and I raise, terps re-raises me and i worry, but I call with my overpair. The turn is a ten, terps bets, and I call, and the river a queen, another bet, and I call, expecting to see pocket 8s, or a pair higher than mine(or hopefully A8 for the win), but instead, I see Q8, a rivered 2 pair to beat me. This hand takes me down a ways, I am down to about $210

Hand #58: Its late and I must be tilting, you never do realize until its too late do you? I have 78s, and I play it, but it's raised and re-raised behind me, but like I said, I'm tilting. I decide this is my last hand. The flop hits me, but it hits an ace too, and there are 3 other people in the flop. A72. I watch the others bet, and I stupidly call. The turn is a 4. I again stupidly call, the river is a Q. YeahTerps bets, and I see the other two bow out of the pot. I make one last crying call, and I see, I was not tilting as badly as she was. J3o. Nothing at all. I take down a monster $170 pot.

I'm embarrassed to say that I just finished ahead $65, leaving with $315. I quit despite winning that hand. I should have quit when I lost to Q8. I wasn't on tilt because of that I don't think, but I am too tired to be playing right now, and I know myself, when I get too tired, I get passive and call a lot of bets that I shouldn't have. That just happened there, and amazingly, it worked out in my favor. It usually doesn't.

Worth noting, is that rounder1979 was a solid player. He was consistantly showing down very good hands. They just weren't winning many pots for him(he was down a small amount).
Old 05-01-2004, 12:48 PM   #10
Radii
Head Coach

Saturday 1pm

I join a full 6 man table, I have never seen any of these players before. I probably have only 30-45 minutes to play, so we're looking at 50-70 hands.

I go through the blinds once just watching. the guy to my left, bchum, has been in 4 of the first 5 hands, he hasn't raised yet. The guy to my right, malmohuset, has been agressive, raising 2 of the first 5 hands, but he's shown down AT and AA with them too.

Hand #10: AT clubs UTG+1, malmohuset raises UTG, and I decide to re-raise, I buy the button and take control, one other person calls. I bet into the 294 flop (after its checked to me) and both call. The turn pairs me with a ten, and I bet out again after its checked to me. The river is an 8, and I decide to check this one down. I was up against pocket 5s(from malmohuset) and AJ(from dneshevski), I take down a nice $93 pot with a nice suckout against a hand that dominated me

Hand #20: I raise UTG with A7 diamonds, two call. The flop is AQ4, with two hearts. the callers were the blinds so I'm last to act, and I bet when checked to me. Jaybird6276 stays in with me. The turn brings the flush, the J of hearts. Checked to me, I bet, jaybird folds and the $48 pot is mine.

malmohuset leaves the table, whether or not he was a good player I dunno, but he was up a ton and was pretty agressive, so I'm more comfortable with him gone. We are 5 handed for now.

Hand #26: Jaybird limps into the blind, I check with 83o. Flop is AA8, he checks, I bet, he folds.

Hand #28: AKo on the button. one limp to me, I raise, and both blind + the limper call. I bet into the ragged flop, no one folds. I catch an ace on the turn and bet again, and again no one folds. the river brings a queen, and I dunno what I'm up against here. I decide to bet my top pair, two people call me and my aces are good. I take down a $128 pot against aces w/ lower kickers.

Hand #29: Very next hand, I get AKs, I raise, get re-raised, and I cap it. The flop has 3 spades, 478. I bet into it and dneshevski calls. The turn is another blank, dneshevski bets and I decide to call this one down, river is another blank and dneshevski turns up pocket aces, I give back a bit of my winnings from the last AK hand, and am just glad in retrospect that no ace or king hit the board.

Hand #36: AJo on the button. A new player posts out of turn behind me(Elmerz), he checks and then calls my raise as does a guy named stuperville behind me who seems to be somewhat of a calling station. I bet out on a rags flop, but I fold to a turn bet when a king hits the board. No showdown so I don't know what people had there.

Hand #40: A free flop with K5 diamonds in the big blind, along with 3 others. The flop comes JT4 with two diamonds and I call a bet by the small blind. The turn is a king, giving me top pair, SB now checks, I bet and he calls. The river is a low non-diamond, I bet and he folds, giving me a pot of about $55. I am now sitting with $325 at the table.

We drop to 3 handed, me, xxChicago7xx and elmerz.

elmerz leaves quickly, Chicago and I go heads up and break even after about 10 hands when he leaves the table.

I sit around for a bit and civmas joins with only $60, and then TNFEVER joins with just $90, we are 3 handed again.

Hand #60: I limp with 68 clubs in the small blind, and 3 of us see the flop. I hit two pair, J68 flop, and I bet out, both opponents call. The turn is a scary card for me, another jack, but I keep betting into it, one person calls, and I bet out the river and my opponent folds and I take down a nice pot of $83.

Hand #63: A9o, I open-raise and the big blind calls. I flop top pair, bet/call, bet/call, bet/call and my opponent flopped 2nd pair. My opponent was also all-in on the river and my river bet just netted me an extra $4, I take down a $58 pot.

I take a break due to a 6 year old band-aid emergency in the other room

Hand #64: pocket 6s in the big blind. I just call a raise pre-flop and there are 3 other callers. I bet into a 347 flop and the original raiser just calls me. I bet the turn(a 9) and the river(I forget). The raiser was on AQ and my 6s take down the $75 pot.

The table looks great now, but alas, I can't stay. I see a flop with T8 in the big blind and end up winning a $75 pot with top pair, one guy called me all the way down with bottom pair.

Overall, I like my play today, my biggest mistake in these hands was staying in with my AK suited when my opponent was screaming pocket pair to me. Other than that I feel I played well.

NET: +$205 (left the table with $455) in almost exactly 1 hour. At the risk of jinxing myself, I notice in pokertracker that this is my 8th straight winning session, though I have a couple of multi table tournament entries that knock my total profits down just a touch.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:32 PM   #11
Radii
Head Coach

I join a 3 handed table at 8:15, it's 6 handed after 10 hands though.

Hand #12: I try to steal the blinds with 78s, the SB calls me(JNJSEA). I flop an open-ended straight draw and bet it the entire way, JNJSEA calls me down with bottom pair and I am down $45 early, but hopefully have made a decent advertising play and my good hands will be paid off nicely.

Hand #21: I have ATo in the big blind, with 3 limpers to me I just check. Flop is QTx, I bet out with second pair and end up heads up after the flop. I bet into a king on the turn, and I'm called, I just check down the river, possibly a mistake but I learn that my opponent had 45 and had flopped bottom pair.

After 40 hands I've only seen 20% of the flops, a very very low number when fluctuating from 4-6 players.

Hand #42: AJo in the small blind, I raise and get called, I bet the flop and turn, check the river as its total rags, have to call a bet and pay off pocket 9s.

The player to my right joez11 is raising an awful lot, I consider leaving the table but decide to hold off for now.

Hand #52: I raise UTG with AJ, I'm called by 3 players, and the flop comes Q55, I get raised when I bet into the flop and I get off the hand. joez won the hand with K5o, the other callers had 77 and 44, all three calling all the way down.

Hand #59: I raise on the button with ATs, both blinds call me, and the flop comes QQT, I bet and both fold.

Joez leaves the table and we are 3 handed, jamesbond007 and knight1 are my opponents.

Hand #61: I lose a very big hand to bond, I have JT, he has QJ, and the flop contains a J, I lose bad as I'm dominated. I am down about $150 now.

Hand #64: I get a free flop with 84 in the big blind with 3 opponents. The flop comes J87, and I bet out, turn is a 6, river a 2, I bet it all the way and I take the $78 pot when both opponents fold on the river. I am back to $140, down $110.

We jump back to 5 handed, triplep6 and cbass24 at the table with me.

JamesBond appears to be putting the entire table on tilt, he's just won 3 big hands in a row, inside straight on the river twice and two pair to beat a hand that dominated him. Profanities are flying and I'm staying out of the way (my cards are total crap, making that easy anyway)

Hand #74: One of the tilters has $19 left and raises pre-flop, I re-raise to try to isolate him with A8, and we end up all in pre-flop. I don't pair, and his J2 beats my A8 with a pair of twos. I am down to $113

Hand #81: I limp with JT from the cutoff along with the blinds. I hit a ten on the flop, bet into it, and take the small $22 pot right there, putting me at $118.

Hand #85: I check K2s and flop top pair. I bet, and there is a raise behind me. I go into check/call mode and drop down to $76 as I lose to a flopped two pair.

Hand #89: AJo from the big blind, 3 limp to me and I try to raise to take control, of course all 3 call and the flop misses me. TWo drop out on the flop, and I bet the turn and river into an 84555 board. I take down an $88 pot from punko, my jack outkicks him with A2

Hand #91: AA on the button, I raise and get two callers. The flop comes down K84, two hearts, and no one wants to play, I take down a $38 pot on the flop

Hand #92: I give back all my winnings on AA, as I get AJ, raise, bet the flop and get one caller, bet the turn and get raised, I fold and my opponent shows me AQ, he hit top pair on the turn and let me know in a very straightforward manner. I'm hanging at $111

Hand #96: KQo in the small blind. Punko raises and I re-raise, we're heads up, the flop is a good one for me, Q74, I bet and get called, the turn is a blank, and I take down a $54 pot when I bet the turn. Up to $129.

Hand #98: AJo in the cutoff. TWo limp to me and I raise. The flop comes 39J, cbass bets before me, and I raise. Two call. The turn is another 3, I bet and both call. The river, a 5, I still have top pair. I bet ,both call (punko and cbass), and that was the hand I was waiting for. I see JT and T9 for 2nd pair and an outkicked top pair. The $130 pot brings me back to $220.

Hand #114: A3 on the button, a weak limp on my partr and we have a family pot. I flop bottom pair(348) but I fold to a bet and raise in front of me.

Hand #116: AQ spades, I raise and get 3 callers. The flop is J65 with one spade. dj_deakon, a very straightforward player, bets out. everyone else calls, and I figure(perhaps erroneously) that this is an ok spot to call with two overcards. The turn gives me a flush draw, and with 2 others already in, I call another bet, the river gives me a queen, and its checked to me, I bet and get both callers, and I take down a $113 pot. I'm now slightly ahead on the session.

Hand #119: AJ in the big blind, its a family pot and I don't know what I'll accomplish with a raise here so I just call. I get a good flop, J85, and bet out, two people call. The turn is a 4, I bet and get one caller. The river is another 4, I bet and get raised. I call to see 67, a turned straight.

Hand #123: AQ in the big blind, the small blind limps, and I raise him back. He calls and I flop top pair. He calls me all the way down and I take about the biggest pot I could hope for in this situatoin, a $68 pot.

Hand #125: I cold call a raise with 9Ts, the raiser, flaggs, was UTG, and the big blind calls. The flop is J24 with just one of my suit. Both check(raiser included) and I sense weakness and bet out. The raiser calls. The turn is the King of spades, giving me the flush draw and inside straight draw. I bet again and flaggs folds, a small pot but one I'm happy with. I'm up to $290.

Hand #130: I raise pre-flop with AJs, getting called by only the big blind. The flop comes 9QK, and I bet and get called. I bet a blank on the turn, called. The river is another blank and I decide to just check on the river, I lose to pocket 8s.

Hand #133: A7 clubs in the small blind, one limp to me and I raise. The big blind and one other calls. The flop is one I like, 347, I bet, and the BB raises, I re-raise and he caps it. I go into check/call mode, and I end up losing to pocket kings. I'm back down to $222 and I note dj_deakons play with those kings.

Hand #134: 79o, I complete from the small blind with three opponents. The flop is a pretty bad Q36, but luckily, its checked around. The turn is a 5, giving me a double-bellybuster straight draw. I call a bet along with one other(I only had 4:1 odds, not really good enough to call there, oops). The river gives me the straight with an 8. I go ahead and bet out, one caller and I take down a $68 pot, back ahead just a little bit.

I watch dj_deakon lose to A3 as he slowplays pocket jacks, slowplay is just a mistake more often than not.

Hand #150: AQo in the small blind. There's two frequent limpers, an dI raise. I get out the big blind. The flop comes KT7, a dangerous one, I bet and get called. Turn is my queen, I bet and get called. The river is a blank, I bet and get raised, and lose to K7, flopped two pair, I was behind the entire way though.

Hand #154: Another AQ, this one suited, UTG. I raise and land6457 calls behind me. Broom, the SB, re-raises(don't know much about him), and we have 4 way action for $15 each pre-flop. The flop misses me totally, and I get out of the way to see AA take down $93. $93?? he had aces on 4 way action and a non-scary board... but he check/called the flop. WHYOWHY. Just betting and getting called down with that much pre-flop action should net him $130 or more

I am back down to $181 here, but I feel I'm playing pretty well.

Hand #158: KK, but we're only 3 handed. I push hard with it, even though my opponent just wanted to limp, I take it down on the turn, a $39 pot, I could have tried to slowplay it and see if I could get a bigger pot later, but that backfires too often, I'm happy with what I got.

we're back to 6 handed around hand 170, 4 familier faces and a new guy to my right, johnnieringo.

Hand #177: Antoher AQ Suited. Look at that action, 4 callers to my raise. The flop comes AAK, dear god let there not be AK on the table. There's a bet before me, I raise, dj_deakon re-raises behind me, and we both call. The river brings the second king, barring pocket kings I am safe. dj_deakon and I split the others money, both showing down AQ. I am back up to $191.

A discussion on pot odds and kickers almost forces me to leave the table, and maybe I should, but I am just seeing too much passive play from half the table(flaggs/broom/johnnieringo appear to be very straightforward and easy to read most of the time).

Hand #183: I have AKo UTG. I raise and get a call from flaggs. He folds to my flop bet, on a board that missed me(Qxx), I take down $31.

Hand #185: 89 in the big blind. I check when the SB limps to me, we are heads up. The flop of 66T appears to miss both of us, we both check. The turn brings an ace and I deside to represent it with a bet. I am called, and the river actually gives me a hand, pairing my 8. I bet again and he folds to me, back up to $215 with the two quick pots.

Hand #189: I limp with QJ, flops have been free for awhile. Not this time, whee. I go ahead and call the raise from flaggs, I'll know quickly if I'm beat on the flop so I'll play. The flop comes down AAT, and I don't need to see a bet to assume I'm beat here(action is 4-way). Flaggs had pocket 10s and picked up a nice pot with the flopped house.

land6457 limps from the SB, bets the flop, checks the turn and the river with the big blind with no overcard on the board with pocket kings. Weird, wacky stuff. A monster $19 pot with his kings.

Hand #197: 24 diamonds in the big blind. I get a free flop with 3 other opponents, and the flop is a pretty friendly one, A25 with two diamonds. I call a bet on the flop, raise the turn when a second two hits, and no one calls the river. Thanks to the 3 opponents the pot got up to $107, pushing me once again slightly ahead, I'm at $257

Hand #201: I keep getting AQ, I raise it from the small blind, two people call, and I bet into the KQ6 flop, winning a $39 pot.

Hand #202: We're just 4 handed, and I raise A2s from the button. The big blind calls, and the flop misses me completely, 79Q. The blind is the first to act, and he folds... I wasn't looking forward to trying to push him out of the pot with such a weak ace, so I appreciate it!!

Hand #205: I call a raise with JTs from the small blind, looks like a steal attempt ot me. The big blind calls too, and I flop top pair, J45. from early position this is one of the few times I'll check raise, and I go ahead and do it on the flop, raising when the steal raiser bets. I take the pot right there, $43 and I am up to $314, up above $300 for the first time in my two hours at this table.

Any thoughts on a check raise there? top pair is solid short handed, should I bet into the raiser instead of the more powerful check-raise? top pair is not big enough to slow play(can you tell, I don't like slowplaying very often at all)

Hand #211: I limp from the SB with K7o(one early limper before us). The flop is KT4 with two diamonds, I bet my top pair and get one caller. Turn a blank, bet/call, river completes the diamond flush, I bet, and he folds. I take down $53.

Hand #212: very next hand I have QQ on the button. I open-raise(folded to me) and the BB calls, dj_deakon. The flop comes 56A. He bets, I raise, he re-raises and I call. The turn is another ace. He bets, I think a bit and fold. I say "nh" and he says "47" indicating the open ended straight draw and indicating that I very clearly folded the best hand and back down under $300 by a bit.

Hand #213: I have pocket 7s in the big blind. dj_deakon raises, flaggs calls, and I re-raise. If I'm going to play a middle pocket pair, I am going to be in control of the betting. Both call. The flop is pretty nice, 884. I bet, both call. The turn is a 2, I bet, one call, the river is the 3rd 8. I bet out again, flaggs calls me with AQ, and I take down $95 to put me up to $367.

Hand #219: JTs early. I limp and end up heads up with a new player in the big blind, bad2004boy. I flop a good draw, Q94, I bet, he raises me, I re-raise to try to keep control, he caps me, I end up folding on the turn, wishing I had more info on him, and I fall back down to $320 or so.

Hand #223: I get QQ on the button, one limp to me, I raise, and the limper is the only caller. Aces seem to follow my queens around, AA9 flops. I bet and my opponent folds, I take in the $31 pot.

Hand #226: A4 early, I'm suited, I limp, which is usually a mistake and I immediately regret it, but it doesn't hurt me. We get a free flop, 3-way, and I flop 2nd pair on a T42 flop, I bet and oldbill70 calls me(the same guy who folded on my QQ hand). The turn completes the flush and puts another overcard, a 7, on the board. I keep pushing and oldbill calls. The river is the 4th spade, a jack. I have no spade. I bet out, if he has a spade I lose, if he doesn't he'll fold. And, he folds and I take down a $55 pot.

Hand #227: NExt hand, ick. maveric_uk is new to the table, to my right. It's folded to him and he raises from the SB. I have AT and I raise back at him. He caps it. The flop comes J64, he bets and I go into call mode, I still wonder if he's on a steal and I'll see if I can't hit something. I call him down, the board ends up with two pair, and I lose to his pocket aces, down to $321.

Hand #229: I limp with 67s. I like the flop, K45, open ended draw, but it has two clubs. The entire table is in the pot, so I have the odds to bet my draw, and I do indeed get enough callers. The turn is a 3, making my straight, but it also makes the flush. I bet, and get just one caller. The river a 7, so any 6 ties me. I go ahead and bet, get called(yet again by oddbill70) and I take down $83, taking out his 47, bottom pair on the flop, inside straight draw on the turn, two pair on the river. TY. back to $374.

Hand #231: pocket 5s UTG. If I'm going to play, I have to raise, and I do. maveric_UK calls out of the BB. Flop has two overcards, KJ4, I bet into him and he calls. The turn is a 3rd overcard, all broadway cards, and I check, I make a crying call on the river, and I see J7, I was behind the whole way, interesting to see him defend his blind with that though.

Hand #235: AKo, I raise behind one limper. I bet out on a T87 flop. Maveric_uk is the only one left in on the turn. He check-raises me when I bet out again on a 6. The river is an ace, and I just call his bet. He turns over T6s, he turned two pair. I am down to $297 and baffled by this guy's play, but ready to catch him when I have good cards.

NEVER SLOWPLAY PEOPLE (see below)

Hand #237: I limp on the button with KT suited. 3 others see the flop. Flop comes down AT4. I bet and get two callers. River is a queen, dj_deakon check-raises me and I go ahead and call the re-raise. The river is a jack, I hit an inside straight. dj_deakon bets, I raise and he calls. He had pocket aces, limped and just called when he flopped trips, and I busted him on the river bad. I take down $113.

I lose a fair amount on 67 suited, I flopped middle pair and got called down by top pair, then made a nice win with AT that never improved, betting hartd all the way and getting a fold on the river, I am up to $396 at this point.

Hand #250: I complete from the small blind with QTo. The flop is as pretty as it gets, 9JK rainbow, I flopped the straight. I bet the flop, and get one caller. The turn is a 9, somewhat of a scare card. I bet, my one opponent, dj_deakon, raises, I re-raise and he calls. The river is a blank, I bet and he folds, he must have been bluffing, or had a pair and believed me for trips. I take down $97.

Hand #252: I llimp from the button with J8 suited. I flop top pair, J63, and bet out. On the turn(a ten) maveric_uk bets. I should have re-raised, but he's had my number otnight, and I just call. I make a mistake on the river, clicking "check/call" expecting him to bet. He checks, I would have bet were I thinkingm, but instead I check, and I take down a $47 pot against ace high.

the two hands push me to $450.

Hand #258: I raise from the button with QT suited, my only caller? maveric_uk. I bet the flop, we check the turn and the river, and I lose to his AT with all undercards on the board, down to $418.

Hand #261: Sometimes its ok to slowplay. I limp in the SB with 76. Flop? 776. I'll check that on the flop, free card, a 4. I bet out, and land6457 raises me, slowplay time over, maybe I lucked out and he hit a straight? He calls my re-raise, and calls my river bet, showing down 64. My $93 pot puts me back over $450 by a little bit.

I decide that 3 hours is quite enough and that I'm starting to get tired, and log off before my play starts to suffer.

I am extremely happy with my play tonight, dropping down fast, but not tilting, and reading the table as a table that I can beat, and sticking with it, coming back and finishing up with a very nice win. One of my best sessions ever, even though I've won more in less times, I am very satisfied with this win.

Net: +$187 over 3 hours
Old 05-01-2004, 10:33 PM   #12
Radii
Head Coach

More comments on the style are welcome. Anything more/less/different that would make the read better? Espicially on a very long session like that one(though most of mine are not nearly that long, I usually sit down for about an hour at a time).
Old 05-02-2004, 08:52 AM   #13
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Great work, Radii!

I don't have much to add to the discussion, but just letting you know that I'm enjoying reading.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:25 AM   #14
Radii
Head Coach

Thanks RPI-Fan, I appreciate the kind words!
Old 05-02-2004, 10:45 AM   #15
Radii
Head Coach

A little Sunday Morning poker. Start time: 10:25am

No 3 hour marathon this time, I probably have 45 minutes or so til I'll need to help with the groceries.

I start at a full 6 man table with 5 names I have never seen. iamdwalrus is to my left, follwed by westlaw, indyrunner, cattycreep and sasandersno.

Westlaw leaves before my first 5 hands are up. Sasanderson has made two very very questionable plays in two hands, raising 3rd pair that he hit on the turn into someone clearly betting an ace, and, calling down a pre-flop steal attempt w/ jack high(only to see pocket queens)

Hand #5: AJo UTG, 5 handed. I go ahead and raise pre-flop, my first action at the table that wasn't a fold. I get 3 callers... I bet into the Q74 flop and everyone calls... the turn gives me middle pair with a jack, I bet and only cattycreep calls. The river is a blank, I bet out again and I take the $88 pot.

Hand #6: 92o in the big blind, I see it for free with 2 others. Flop comes Q92. I bet, get called by only indyrunner. The turn is a 4, I bet, get called. The river a king, I bet, get raised, I call and I see pocket Queens for flopped trips, and I grumble something about slowplaying big hands to myself.

We fall to 4 handed before I play another hand, a new player, LILET to my left, followed by Indyrunner and another new player, mskimike709.

Hand #17: 5 handed again, IAMDWALRUS is back. I get AJo UTG again and raise, getting two callers, the flop isn't pretty, 997. I decide to check it down when a queen hits the turn, and both my opponents check the turn and river, and QT takes it with a pair of queens.

People are coming and gonig like crazy here, 5 handed with another new guy, DSCollins37. No one is staying long enough to read anyone.

Hand #22: I get a free flop with T5o in the big blind along with two others. The flop comes T42, and I bet out, getting one caller(SlowplayIndyrunner). The turn is another ten, I bet and take a $40 pot when Indy folds.

Hand #37: I make a mistake limping with KTs early, and I end up heads up against the big blind. The flop comes out 245 all hearts(I have diamonds), I bet and get called. The turn pairs the two, and we just check it, the river pairs the 5 and I fold to a bet. Weak.

Hand #41: pocket 9s on the button, one limp to me and I raise. Only teh limper calls. I don't like the flop, QT3, but I bet into it and mskimike folds to me, giving me a $31 pot, keeping me at $225, only $25 down.

Hand #51: Q7 suited in the big blind. I see it for free with DSCollins, an early limper who has been very weak/passive. The flop comes AKJ, and we both check. I pair my 7 on the turn, and based on DSCollins earlier play, figure he'll fold possibly even a jack if I bet. I bet, he folds, and I take a $22 pot. He has been checking down top pair heads up, and doing a lot of folding. He appears to need a monster hand to bet.

Hand #58: Pocket tens in the big blind. Another weak move on my part, I just check after 3 people limp to me. The flop comes K74, and I lead out the betting, and take it right there, a $24 pot.

Hand #63: I complete in the small blind with Q8o, we have 5 way action on the flop. I hit middle pair with J83 on the flop. I bet out and only DSCollins calls me. The turn is another low card, I bet and I take the $44 pot. I'm ahead for the first time in quite awhile, sitting with $263 at the table now.

Hand #67: I raise UTG with JTs. DSCollins calls me and raises me when I bet on the flop. Given his past play I respect this and fold.

The table has been so passive that I felt JTs was a good enough hand to try to push people around with. Didn't work out this time.

Hand #72: I call a raise on the button with 9Ts, a hand that I can make a lot on if I hit and can get out of if I miss. The raiser was EXMAN, who I've hopefully correctly read as someone who is trying to push people around as well. The flop is a nice one, T84 with two of my suit(hearts). EXMAN bets, and I raise, he just calls. I take control, betting into the queen on the turn, and the two on the river. Flush never hits, but, EXMAN folds to me on the river and the $77 pot is mine.

Hand #77: I get a free flop with J5o, with 4 opponents. The flop comes down J33, and I take it right there with a bet.

Hand #79: AQo on the button, one of my best hands pre-flop so far. I raise it and 3 people are in the flop with me. The flop comes down all low cards, I bet and end up heads up with slovog. I bet it all the way down with all low cards, and he calls me down, I was going to slow down the turn but I hit 4 to a flush so I kept going. He shows down pocket 7s to take the pot.

Hand #82: AA in the small blind, it's folded to me and I just limp. I'm not slowing down any more than that though. I forget the board, but I bet the flop, turn, and river, and win a decent pot as DSCollins calls me down.

Hand #84: Just two hands later, pocket jacks. I raise pre-flop and buy the button, but get 3 callers. I like the flop, T92. I bet, and I get check-raised by MSMike, I re-raise and all 4 are still in, calling my re-raise. The turn comes down a queen, msmike bets again and I wonder if I might be beat, just calling hoping to hit the straight. The river is a blank, everyone gets scared and we check it down. I see JT from msmike, the guy playing hard at me(he played it pretty well IMO), J9 from another, and unfortunately, KQ from EXMAN to take down the $140 pot.

Hand #89: A9o in the big blind. slovog limps and I raise out of the blind. He calls and fold on the flop when an ace hits.

Hand #91: A9o again, on the button(four handed for now). I raise and get two callers. I bet the flop(all low cards) and its down to me and EXMAN. He check-raises me on the turn when the board pairs twos, and I just call, but I decide to fold on the river when he bets again and I still haven't hit anything. He may be bluffing the two, but I am convinced he has something.

Hand #93: pocket tens in the big blind. Two limp to me, I raise out of the blind and both fold, giving me a $20 pot.

testdog1 joins us and we're 5 handed again, I am at $213, having given away my profits on the JJ and the second A9 hand recently.

Hand #96: AKo in the cutoff, I raise and get two callers. I bet the flop of 665, and get raised by slovog. I fold when the turn comes down with a 4, completing a flush. slovog is kind enough to show me KJ hearts for the flush.

Hand #99: T2 in the big blind. I check when EXMAN completes the blind. The flop comes J92, I bet when exman checks to me, and he check-raises me. I call, and the turn gives me two pair with a ten. He checks, I bet and he just calls. The river pairs the 9 on the board, and now a single jack beats me, or a ten b/c of my kicker problems. We check it down and I see that he had the jack, and runner-runner'd a flush to top it off.

Hand #103: I get pocket 5s. PRESTO. I just limp pre-flop along with 4 others. I love my flop, T65. EXMAN bets, and I raise(the core rule with not slowplaying is to NEVER SLOWPLAY TRIPS, too many ways to beat them. Like or dislike the rest of Lee Jones book, that one rule has made ti worth the $10 for the book). The turn? have faith in presto... I've got quad 5s now. I continue to bet and EXMAN just calls me down, I take down a nice pot.

Ok only 9 hands have occured since the quad 5s, but we're 4 handed. My cards got better and I started running oer the table, specifically over DSCOllins, the one guy I feel good about my read on. I've won 3 straight hands with me in the SB and him in the BB, usually for a couple of bets on the flopp and turn, I keep getting Ax against him.

I also took down an $80 pot against EXMAN, I had KQ and he had QJ and a queen hit the turn.

DSCollins tried to bluff me off a pot when I flopped top pair, a capped flop on that gave me $60.

That brings me up to current(took longer than I wanted to write up hands 99/103), and that rush of 5 or 6 wins in 15 hands has put me up to ~$350.

Hand #122: DSCollins raises pre-flop, I call from the big blind with A9 suited, as does slovog. The flop comes down AJ4, and I go for my check-raise here, taking the pot on the flop(that suprises me a bit, I expected it to at least go to the turn even if he didn't have an ace). My pot is $45, taking me up to $380.

Two people join and our four handed stretch is over. I'm disappointed as I just won $150 in about 20 hands against that lineup.

Hand #131: I limp early with 87 suited, get 3 other opponents, but I fold when the flop misses me.

Hand #134: I get a free flop with J4, the flop comes 4T9 and I decide to call 1 bet when I can kill the betting and have a backdoor flush draw. The turn is an ace though and I give up my hand.

Groceries are home, and I leave the table with $352

NET: +$102 in 80 minutes.

Last edited by Radii : 05-02-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:38 PM   #16
Radii
Head Coach

with some sort of shower planning going on, it looks like I have the time to play as much poker as I want today. Rested up and focused after a lunch break, I sit back down starting at 1:15.

I recognize no one here, dimva, doubleslab, moses39, Its0219, and PSTARFISH are my opponents, starting to my left and going around.

On the first two hands I see pre-flop raises and 3 or 4 way action after the raise. Raises get called pre-flop with Q6 suited and J9 suited(this one in the big blind, at least that's excusable in most situations).

I'm drooling after 5 hands. AJ and K9 get in a raising war on a turn with a board of KK62. Staying in that raising war is J2(pair of twos), giving the trip kings a monster pot.

Hand #6: I have A7o in the big blind. Moses39 raises on the button, and I call. An ace flops and I lead out, moses calls my flop bet, and folds to the turn bet.

Hand #7: AT in the SB, moses limps to me and I raise, doubleslab re-raises behind me and moses and I call. I love the flop, AT4 rainbow. I bet, doubleslab raises, and I re-reaise. moses exits the hand, doubleslab calls me down and I take the $113 pot.

The table has some attrition, and doubleslab and I go heads up for a few hands. I run all over him, raising every hand pre-flop in the SB, with him folding on the turn.

back to 4 handed quickly

UGH. TWo bad hands... I was up to $350 right away. I have pocket 8s in the big blind. The SB raises and I re-raise. The flop and turn are pretty ragged and I bet and my opponent calls. I bet the river, an ace, and get re-raised. I lose to A6o, a big pot for heads up on the flop.

Soon after I get A8 in the SB, I raise pre-flop and get heads up with doubleslab. An ace hits the flop, I bet, doubleslab raises, and I re-raise. I remain in control of the hand, bet/call, bet/call. The problem? A 2 on the river... I lose to A2, rivering a 2nd pair. That plus a few blinds and after 25 hands I'm at $253, right back where I started.

We are back to 6 handed 25 hands in. doubleslab is 2 to my left, all of my other opponents are new.

Hand #26: A3o in the small blind. There's 1 limp to me, I complete the blind and the BB checks. Flop is 732, I bet the pair of 3s, and get one caller(luhar), i bet again on the turn when a ten hits, and again on the river when the 2nd 7 hits. Luhar folds on the river.

Hand #27: Very next hand, I have 87 suited on the button. I limp and doubleslab checks his BB. The flop comes 844, I bet, doubleslab check-raises me, and I call. The turn is a 7, I have two pair but I fear a 4 in the blind, I call him down on the turn and river, and my 87 two pair loses to his T4, flopped the 3 of a kind, and I am down to $238.

Hand #33: I raise QJs on the button when its folded to me. doubleslab re-raises me, I call and I fold on the flop when an ace flops and he bets again. Good play by doubleslab, whether he had the ace or not.

Hand #40: I raise ATo UTG 5 handed. The SB re-raises me, the BB calls and I call. The flop is all undercards and I call a bet. The turn is a ten, I've got top pair but have convinced myself I'm up against an overpair, I decide to call it down to see what he has. The river makes me two pair, my opponent checks for the first time, and I bet, he calls and my two pair takes it. He was making a move with 9T suited. I had him dominated and had him the entire way. The $93 pot takes me back up to $260. That was AcesFull80 that hand.

Hand #44: ATo in the button. Its folded to me and I raise. doubleslab calls me in the big blind. The flop is all rags, I bet and he folds and I take down $26.

doubleslab appears to be a solid player, I have yet to see him show down a bad hand or a bluff, so it appears he should be respected at this point.

Hand #48: doubleslab raises UTG, I have 78 suited in the big blind. I call the raise, as do two others. The flop comes three broadway cards and I fold. doubleslab was raising with A4 suited. Good info.

The two players to my right, grumpy46 and luhar, seem to be in most every flop, and certainly more than their fair share.

Hand #60: I get AQo on the button. Luhar raises before me, and I re-raise. Luhar just calls. I don't like the flop, KT7, but I bet into it on the flop anyway. we check the turn, and Luhar bets the river. I call for the info, and he had KJo, I'll be happy to play that against him any day, but this time it works out for him, and I am down to $194.

Hand #64: I have pocket 3s on the button, and I try to raise it pre-flop, I get heads up with luhar. I bet the flop and turn, and we just check down the river. I see T4o, I lose to a pair of 4s.

Hand #65: I limp early with KT suited. Ronald33, a newer player, raises right behind me. I call, and see AJ4, two clubs(including the ace), I bet, ronald calls. The turn makes my flush with a 9, I bet again and ronald calls. The river is a ten, I bet, ronald raises, I have the nuts and re-raise ,and I take down a very nice sized pot of $115.

Hand #66: The very next hand I get pocket aces in the big blind. Two limpers to me and I raise, both call. The flop comes 952, I bet, acesful80 raises, and I re-raise, aces calls. I bet a blank on the turn and he folds and I take down $80.

HAnd #67: An exciting 4 hand stretch here. I have QJo in the small blind. I limp and we have a 3-way flop. I bet into the AQ7 flop, and luhar raises it, I just call. I check, and he bets the turn, I again call. The river gives me two pair with a jack, I check, he bets, and I raise. He calls me and I see that he had Q7 and flopped two pair. I rivered him for a very nice $103 pot.

I take about 10 hands off as the family comes home and the leadoff man show for the Cubs game starts. When I come back BadBoyCK has joined the table two to my right. The rest of the table is the same, ronald33, doubleslab, acesfull and grumpy around us.

Hand #71: Doubleslab raises UTG, and I decide to defend my blind with T9 suited. The flop comes Q94, and I'll bet that. doubleslab calls, and calls the turn and river when I bet out the rest of the way into a second queen and a low card. doubleslab had pocket 5s and I get a nice $70 pot.

Hand #72: Pocket 6s in the small blind. We are down to 4 handed here, and aces full and doubleslab raise twice around me, I weakly call $15 between them. The flop is great, T64, I just check, letting the two raisers play. doubleslab bets, the other guy folds, and I raise. The turn gives me a full house, pairing the 4 on the board. doubleslab raises me this time, and I re-raise, he just clals, and he calls my river bet, giving me a very nice pot($113)

I take a big $115 pot off of acesfull 3-way when we have a capped flop and turn when I have AK and flop top pair.

After that I have about $450, and go heads up with doubleslab for about 15 hands. We go back and forth until 1 very big hand when I flop trip 7s, and he flops a pair and 4 to a flush. We raise each other like mad, and he hits his flush on the river, taking about $60 off of me. We jump back up to 4 handed and I have $400 at the table.

its still me and doubleslab, and to our left is blcat123 and quartzgold.

blcat has capped eveyr betting round for 3 straight hands. doubleslab finally has a hand tgo call him down on, beating pocket queens iwth two pair, so maybe he isn't a maniac.

Hand #97: folded to me in the SB, I raise KTo, doubleslab calls me and I get a good flop, T97, I bet and he calls. I bet the turn(a 5) and he calls. I have a feeling I've lost on the river, the 8 putting 4 to the straight on the board. I check and call when he bets and I see 67 for the rivered straight. I am down to $353.

We are back to 6 handed on hand 99, and I remind myself to slow down on the agression a little bit, after a good 20+ hands of nothing more than 4 handed.

Hand #101: I have A3 suited in the cutoff. I raise it, and get two clalers. I bet into the Q84 flop and get raised by milkman13, the player to my left. I call it but fold when the turn gives me no help.

The table turns quite agressive, and milkman is playing a lot of hands, but seems to be good at getting out of the way when his hands miss. He just busted up JJ with Q3 suited, turning a flush. Our other big agressor, blcat123 is in most every hand also, but doesn't seem to know when to fold. He's turned $150 into $27 in about 15 hands.

And just like that blcat is gone, going "all in" (auto-raising until all in) on T4 suited. We are 4 handed again, milkman, doubleslab, michaeltran and myself.

Now we're 3 handed.

I drop $20 to milkman raising pre-flop with A9, I fold when he continues to bet hard on the flop that contains a king and queen, and I'm down to about $290.

BOY what a comeback.

I call a raise with 89 suited 3 way. The flop? 567, with two of my suit. We cap the betting on the flop, and I am called down on the turn and river, winning a $108 pot with the nut straight.

Very next hand I take down $58, pushing pocket 7s hard against a short stack who folds on the turn into a board of

Very next hand? pocket 7s. I raise, it's re-raised and capped behind me. 3 handed with one of the raisers a short stack, I will call. My flop could not be better, AT7 with an agressive player in with me. We cap the flop, and he just calls me down on the turn and river. My trip 7s beat AJ and J3 for a monster $148 pot.

I steal a few blinds taking advantage of my rush/hot streak/respect/opponents cold cards(whyever they folded to me) and after that 20 hand stretch 3 and 4-way, I am now up to $493.

As of hand #125 we are back to 6 handed. milkman and doubleslab remain to my left, with new players in the other 3 seats.

Hand #125: I have 78o in the big blind, getting to limp along with 3 others. The flop comes 8AA, and I bet, one of the new players, BlondMike, raises me, and myself and milkman are the only two left in after we call the raise. The turn is a 6, putting 3 to the flush ont he board, and my 8 is of the flush suit. We all check. The river brings the 4-flush, and I bet, get called by BlondMike and I take down the $68 pot.

This brings up an intersting point. Many times, you see a raise into a board over one of my bets. I will rarely fold to that raise, but I'll often call and fold on the next street. The reasons for this are many. One is that I almost always have some sort of backdoor draw to go with my hand, so even if I'm second best, I'm willing to see the next card, backing into my draw + sometimes having the best hand makes it worth it. The other reason is shown here. BlondMike represented the ace. If he has it, this runner-runenr flush is my only way to win, but I call to see the next card and to see what mike will do. Here? A semi-scare card came out, Mike had the chance to bet from last position when it was checked to him, and what did he do? He checked. Looking in the history, he had the ace. Why in the world did he check? He let me runner-runner him for free. But that's why I call the raise on the flop. If he was bluffing the ace, usually he'll slow down on the turn. And sometimes he'll do something monumentally stupid like that.

We go heads up, me vs Doubleslab for another 10 hands or so, breaking even this time, before two more join the table.

Back to four handed, no, five handed, no, six handed as I type... I feel like doubleslab and myself are ringers just watching the tourists come and go. I'm up $250, he's up $500, we're ripping through all comers.

Hand #150: I have 69 suited on the button, I limp and we see 5 way action. The flop is friendly, Q69. I raise an early bet and two stay in. On a jack on the turn, jcs6153 bets before me, I raise again and he just calls. He bets yet again on a blank river, and I call. He shows down J9, beating me with a turned two pair. I fall to $454.

Hand #153: I have A9 suited in the big blind. folded to the SB, jcs6153 limps and I raise him. He calls, I bet into the 234 flop, and then into the 8 on the turn(giving me the flush draw + inside straight). The river makes nothing for me, and I check it down, jcs was playing with K5, and I take down the pot.

Hand #161: I have AKo in the cutoff, I raise and get two callers. I like the flop, K95, and I bet, keeping one caller in, srxman. The turn completes a flush with a 6, I bet and he calls. The river makes it even scarier, with a second 5. I bet again and srxman check-raises me. I call to see his 85, rivered trips and I am down to $410 on that beat.

srxman, doubleslab and jcs6153 are going at each other like crazy, one of the three has raised pre-flop in what seems like every one of the last 10 hands.

Hand #178: I decide to mix it up in the SB with pocket 8s. srxman raises pre-flop, I re--raise it and he calls. I boggle when I see this showdown. I bet all the way, I forget the board order, but it ends up 79TJ giving me a straight with the 8. After lots of betting on the river we split the pot, what does srxman show down? 84 suited, no flush draw no nothin.

Hand #181: I play T8 suited from the button, srxman raises, and 4 people are in the flop. I love my flop, 889. I decide to slowplay this on the flop, and I just call srxman's bet, along with one other. I re-raise him on the turn, and he folds when I bet the river. I take down $108 and am back up to $468.

Hand #186: I have JTo on the button. we have us a family pot. Everyone limps/checks. The flop comes AJ6. All 5 others check to me, and I bet. Only srxman and jcs call. jcs bets the turn when an 8 falls. On the river (another 8) I decide that I'm likely beat and fold. I was beat but not how expected. jcs6153 shows Q8.

Hand #188: My first legitimately good hand in awhile. AJ in the big blind, with 3 opponents I just check, and I fold to a bet on the flop after everyone else already called. Too many people here to think I'm good, and who knows if my outs are even good if these guys have legit hands.

srxman leaves the table, and I think I am glad for this. He was betting with crap, but he was way up too, and you got burned when you ran into one of his good hands. Probably a pretty good player. doubleslab has fallen from $900 down to $715, and jcs6153 has $725 now, he's on quite a rush. ME? I'm stuck at $434, waiting for another rush.

Hand #193: A7s in the big blind. the SB limps to me and I just check. The flop is a beauty, A74. I just call a bet(another dangerous slowplay) on the flop, and the SB checks the turn, folding when I bet, giving me a small $29 pot.

jcs61xx has left the table, the other big winner next to srxman, and it's back to me and doubleslab and 4 random guys. doubleslab is down to $690, he's taking a beating, having dropped nearly $250 from his max winnings at the table on the day.

Hand #197: pocket 10s UTG. the BB calls, a new player vaheha, but he folds to my flop bet into a Kxx flop. Another small win($26)

Hand #199: I limp from the SB with KT, but I give it up to a flop bet on a flop that misses me totally.

Hand #201: pocket kings in the cutoff. I'm only called by the BB. He folds to my flop bet, bleh. $26 pot.

Hand #211: pocket jacks on the button. I raise, and both blinds and one early limper call. I bet into one overcard on the flop (QT6) and all 3 call. The turn is an ace and I'm ready to give this one up. I check, and the river brings a 3rd heart, and the flush wins(I folded but others stayed in).

Hand #212: pocket 5s costs me some more, I raise it pre-flop and bet into overcards on the flop and turn, giving up on the river and losing to pocket 8s. The two hands have dropped me back to $376.

Hand #217: I have TJs in the cutoff. I raise and get heads up on the flop. I miss the flop totally but bet and get called, the turn gives me an inside straight draw, I bet out again and I take the pot of $40.50. Back to $379.

Hand #221: 78s in the small blind, I limp and we see a flop 3-way. The flop gives me a flush draw, and we check it around. The turn brings the flush and puts an ace on the board. I bet and get one caller. The river makes a 4-flush on the board, I bet and they fold.

Hand #224: AKo, I raise and get two clalers. The flop comes 67T all diamonds. I don't have a diamond. I bet into it and fold immediately to a raise. The other two take it all the way down and I see A8(ace of diamonds) and Q3 diamonds for a flopped flush.

Hand #227: 47 clubs in the big blind. the button limps and we are heads up on the flop. I flop bottom pair, bet out and badger46 folds, my pot.

Hand #229: KQo on the button. I raise pre-flop and only the big blind calls. I flop top pair in a Qxx flop. I bet on the flop and turn, and my opponent folds to my bet on the river.

Hand #230: QJ suited very next hand. I just limp and we have 4-way action. The flop comes down QTx, 3 spades, I have diamonsd. I bet into it and get one caller. The turn is a second Ten, I bet and get one caller. The river gives me two pair, but I imagine I was either ahead or behind the entire way. I bet, get called and I take the pot, my opponent had Q6 for top pair with kicker issues.

I am bcak to $431 at this point.

Hand #241: I have QQ in the SB. I raise and get two callers, but one is all in. The flop comes down A83, all hearts, I have no heart. I bet the flop, and decide to check/call the turn and river. I lose to ATo.

Right after that I play A8 suited, flop 4 to the flush and have the odds to draw, but I never hit, right back to $352.

Back to $360, UTG raise with jacks and everyone folds to me.

Hand #254: A9 suited in the SB. I call a raise from the button and we are 5 handed. I flop bottom pair and 1 heart, KJ9. its checked all the way around, I assume the origional raiser just gave up with a small pocket pair. The turn pairs the jack and puts a 2nd heart on the board. I bet and all but talicco folds. The river is a blank, I invoke the "if you're going to call a bet, go ahead and make the bet" rule, bet out, and am pleasantly surprised when talicco folds and I take down the pot of $78, putting me back just slightly over $400.

I take a big hit defending my big blind to a raise, I flop a straight and the raser runner-runners a higher straight, next hand I bet pocket 8s hard into 5 undercards, and give up even more to pocket 10s that called me down. Down to $320 on those two bad hands, then back up to $340 when I win a tiny pot with pocket kings.

Hand #262: A9 hearts UTG, I raise pre-flop and badger46 calls me(same guy that called me down with TT earlier). The flop misses me totally, I bet and he calls. On the turn we both check it down, and I river a 9, the only overcard is a king, I bet and he folds, and I am back to $360 as he folds to me there.

Hand #265: I have 89o in the small blind and limp with 3 others. I flop bottom two pair, Q98. I bet, get raised, and I re-raise, two opponents call. The turn brings a two and I bet again and am called. The river pairs the two and that's the danger of bottom two pair. A single queen beats me. I check/call and lose to that single queen, a big $123 pot that would have pushed me way up again... instead, $326.

Hand #270: I limp in the SB with 56 spades, 2 opponents. I flop four to the flush, QJ2, QJ are spades. I take the lead, betting on the flop and turn, and win on the turn when badger and doubleslab fold to me.

A new player to my right, imtgo, tries a steal raise in the SB his first time, I call with a suited king but fold when the board misses and puts an ace out there.

imtgo leaves as fast as he arrives, oh well. jostahlman is now to my immediate right adn we're still 4 handed.

The cards have gone totally cold and I fall down to $305.

3 handed now, talicco, myself, and doubleslab(who has maintained his stack better than I, he has $900)

nono, 4 handed! bouncy bouncy. TNFEVER has joined to my right.

Hand #284: I raise out of the big blind with KQ when its limped to me. TNFever calls me, I bet the flop and turn, check the river and I lose to pocket 4s.

Hand #285: I get a little back when I push hard with pocket 9s.

Hand #286: We're 6 handed all of a sudden, and I get a little more bakc when I push A5 suited on the turn and river against some passive play, I missed totally but induce folds on the river. I am at $320 now.

Hand #288: ATo UTG, I raise, doubleslab raises, TNFEVER and a new player(wg1951 call). I just call, and the flop comes rags. I fold to doubleslab's bet when no one else gets out of the way, unlikely I can improve to beat them all. doubleslab took it on the turn with another bet.

Hand #289: I call a raise with JT suited in the big blind, I'm in it with two others. The flop comes QT4 and I take the lead, raising the pre-flop raiser, and getting everyone to slow down. Both opponents call me on the flop and turn, and the original raiser wg1951 calls on the river. He was betting pocket 6s, and I take a $108 pot, putting me back to $371.

The new table lineup feels good, TNFEVER and wg1951 to my right I feel I can push with my decent hands.

Hand #292: I raise with pocket 9s, and only wg1951 calls. The flop comes AT9, I hit trips. I bet on the flop and wg1951 calls. The turn brinsg an ace and a full house for me. I bet, wg1951 check-raises... if he has aces full I'm just screwed, and I re-raise. He just calls, he's got trips, no full. The river is a blank, and he calls my bet. Ohhh, I was wrong. He had T7o, 2nd pair, trying to bluff the ace. My pot is $115 and I'm back to $426.

Hand #296: wg1951 goes all in with a raise pre-flop. I re-raise with AQo behind him, we both miss the flop but I'm better.

Hand #302: I limp in the SB with KTo, and see the flop 4-way. Flop comes ten high, I bet and get one caller. Another ten on the turn and I win the pot with a bet.

Hand #306: I defend my blind against tallico, raising on the button. I have KTo. Flop comes all undercards and I think he's on a pretty pure steal attempt, I bet out. The turn gives me a hand with a king, I bet and he calls, and he calls another bet on the river. Turns outs tallico was on pocket 5s, glad to see him call me down with 4 overcards on the board and I win a $70 pot.

I play a bit more, win a couple of nice pots and log out with $474 after about 3 hours and 15 minutes. Deifnitely happy with the win but the last 90 minutes were a wash basically, I was as high as $502 during the session, fell back down to $290 and fought back up to $474, I can deal with that.

NET: +$224.50.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:59 PM   #17
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

I really like that you are adding in the names of your opponents. It adds a lot. Keep it up we will keep reading.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 02:19 PM   #18
Radii
Head Coach

Thanks dixie for the comments.

I played a bit last night without recording everything like the above. The streak of winning sessions is most definitely over. I ended up losing about a buyin's worth of cash at two tables(total, not at each) before bouncing to a third table and winning about $100 of it back, ending the night down ~$150.

I may play for a little bit today, not sure just yet.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:55 PM   #19
Radii
Head Coach

It's 3:30, I felt horrid this morning and stayed home from work, I am a little tired and will be quick to log off today if my play is not up to par.

I join a table with all new players to me.

Hand #1: I limp in my big blind with the dealer, ericpark. I have T7 suited and have no interest in this hand. The flop and turn are checked, I get an open ended straight draw on the turn but with just $12 in the pot I'm folding to any sort of a bet. Checked still and I river a 3-7 straight, I bet, ericpark calls me and I open up the session up $13.

To my left is Lucky_Lawson, a seemingly familier name but he's not in tracker. RUNBMC, tttt34, ericpark, and BELLSofBKLYN round out the table in order to my left.

Hand #8: I have AT suited on the button. ericpark limps, I raise, both blinds and eric call. The flop comes 622 and the BB comes out betting(RUNBMC), I decide to give this up, I don't know what people have but AT unimrpoved vs 4 people I don' care to play. We don't see a showdown so I don't know what anyone had.

ericpark busts out, dropping $125 in the 11 hands I've watched. I'm seeing lots of 4 and 5 way pots here. RUNBMC flops two pair and doesn't bet(I assume b/c there's 3 to the flush on teh board)... that kind of fear is usually good to be up against.

Hand #15: JJ UTG, I bet and get heads up with bellsofbklyn on the flop. 384 is the flop, I bet and he calls, the turn is a 5, I bet and he folds, I take down $41.

Hand #16: I call a raise out of the BB with A5 suited, the raiser was tttt34, who has been sitting out some. I fold to a flop bet, but I get to see AJo as the SB calls him down.

New player DADADADA at the table(love these names), two to my right.

Hand #18: I limp with KTo in the SB with two opponents, the flop comes down with 3 hearts including QJ. My king is a heart, giving me a flush draw and straight draw, I bet and take the pot right there.

This table is moving real fast, 20 hands in about 12 minutes. 100 in an hour at a 6 man table isn't unusual but this is on pace for 120.

Hand #22: I make a pretty loose call with KTo in the BB, calling a raise from lucky_lawson. I give it up when I miss the flop, but bellsofbklyn is in there to help me get any info I need, lucky had pocket 9s.

Hand #23: Here's a pretty interesting hand. I have 43 suited in the small blind. With lots of limpers I'll play that, 4 of us see the flop. The flop comes Q34 with two spades(I have diamonds). I bet my two pair, and lucky_lawson and bellsofbklyn call, the turn is the ten of spades, completing the flush. I bet and only lucky_lawson calls. The river is the ace of spades. What to do? I go ahead and bet, and lawson calls me, my two pair beats his Q9(top pair flopped) for a $73 pot. I'm not sure the bet is the right move there, though in that case it did win me an extra bet.

Hand #28: I tighten up in the BB this time, folding K9o to a raise by the dealer.

Hand #30: I have A6o on the button, I raise when its fodled to me. lucky_lawson calls, and immediately bets into the Q97 flop. I either have to raise or fold here, and I decide to fold and not risk any more of my chips, I lost that steal attempt.

Hand #35: I limp in the SB with J9o, and flop 2nd pair, QJ5. I lead out the betting and get two callers, tttt34 and Mr Brooklyn. The turn is another 5. Anyone playing much of anything has me beat here, but I bet out anyway, ready to fold to a raise. Instead, just tttt34 call. The river helps me a ton, a jack, I've got jacks full. I bet, he calls and I rivered him to beat his queen pair, I take a $73 pot and notice tttt's lack of agression(top pair is almost always worth a raise on the flop, try to prevent that 5 from catching the best hand on the turn, etc)

Hand #36: On the button again with A5 suited. I try to steal again when its folded to me. lucky_lawson exits but runbmc calls. I forget the flop, it missed me, but I bet and runbmc folds, my pot.

Hand #39: I am UTG and I get pocket kings. I raise and get two callers, runbmc and brooklyn. The flop is 9 high, I bet, runbmc raises me, I re-raise and he probably figures me for something close to what I actually have, and he folds. I could slow down and try to win more on pots like this, but that clearly isn't in my overall strategy. I much prefer to play all my hands equally hard instead of trying to slowplay my big ones, this works well for me as long as I slow down/give up at the right time when I don't have the best hand(or in the J9 example above, when I river the hell out of my opponent).

Hand #43: I get 78 clubs in the big blind and check along with lucky_lawson, we're heads up. The flop is A92 and i'm ready to get out of this one. He doesn't let me though, and I turn a ten, the straight draw. I bet, hoping to induce a fold. lawson doesn't fold, and I miss my straight. We check it down and I lose to QT. I am sitting at $331 after this hand.

Hand #58: AKo in the SB. Brooklyn calls in the button, I raise and end up heads up with him. I bet into the jack-high flop and take the pot.

Side Note: ESPN classic just started a show on the curses inflicting the cubs and red sox, showing ome sort of "alternate" world where the bartman play doesn't happen and the Cubs make the world series. I nearly pull a muscle jumping out of the chair to get to the remote to turn this off.

Hand #62: I get queens int he big blind. Brooklyn limps from teh SB and I just check, we're heads up. The flop is 7-high, and I just call a bet, attempting the dreadful slowplay. The turn is a 9, brooklyn checks, I bet and he folds. The small $29 pot keeps me up at $340.

There's billiards on ESPN. Anything but Bartman and Alex Gonzalez plz.

tttt34 has left the table and has been replaced by Hallelujah. tttt34 appeared to be quite the solid player, so this is a good change.

The table just got much tighter. In the last 15 hands we've gone from 3-5 people in every flop to 2-3, a signifigant difference if it stays this way.

Hand #72: Pocket jacks UTG, I raise and only brooklyn calls out of the big blind. The flop comes A89, he checks, I bet, and he folds, I take down $26

Hand #73: A6o in the BB, I call a raise by the button after brooklyn calls the small blind. three hearts on the flop, and I have the ace and call a single bet. The turn pairs the board and I'm heads up now, I don't know why I feared this but I folded. I think I almost had the odds to draw to my flush too. Oh well.

Hand #75: pocket 6s on the button, I raise after its folded to me. Both blinds call. Flop is KQQ, both blinds check, I bet, and I take the pot, $33.50.

A long series of small wins and small losses leaves me steady at $345 after 75 hands.

Hand #81: I limp with 2 others with K7 suited from the button(brookly and the BB runbmc). The flop comes Kxx, one club. I bet after its checked to me, and only brooklyn is left in the hand. The turn is another low card, I bet, brooklyn calls. The river is a queen, I bet again and brooklyn folds. I take a $55 pot and am up to $365.

Hand #82: I try to limp with 78 suited(I should have raised or folded, but the table had been passive enough that I felt like I might get a free flop here). I didn't, runbmc raised me. I called but folded to a high card flop bet.

Hand #83: I limp with K9 suited in the SB. 3 others see it, and I bet into the AK2 flop, with two spades. hallelujah calls. The turn is a blank, I bet and he calls again. The river is the third spade. Fearing the ace, I decide to check and see if we can check it down. A bet *immediately* comes. One of the few online tells. He clearly had "bet/raise any" checked. SCREAMING flush at me. One of my weaknesses... there is a difference between a crying call and this call here.. this was a "had to see it" call... I called and lost to the queen high flush.

Hand #84: Very next hand, I have AQ diamonds on the button. I raise, and get both blinds and hallelujah calling me. The flop is 9 high, two diamonds. Lucky_lawson bets, its folded to me, I raise, and he re-raises. I just call. The turn makes my flush. He bets, I raise, he re-raises all in for his last $5 or so, and I call. He had 85 diamonds and almost hit a straight flush. The $117.50 pot is my biggest on the night.

I take $30 pots with AQ in the big blind(pushing back at brooklyn who tried to raise me pre-flop, I re-raised and then bet out on the flop and took the pot) and AJ suited in the small blind, raising RUNBMC, he calls but folds on teh flop, two consecutive hands.

this series of hands puts me up to about $400.

hoonslice joins to my left, and katehudson across from me.

Hand #97: I have AK suited and raise pre-flop, both new players are in the hand with me. The flop comes jack high and katehudson comes otu betting. I just call, ready to fold if I don't improve the turn. That's excatly what happens.

Hand #98: I cold-call a raise with QJ suited by brooklyn, a big mistake, katehudson makes it a 3rd bet, which I call and get out on the flop. This time there's a showdown and kate shows pocket Tens.

Those two quick losses drop me back to $360.

Hand #104: A hand I'm starting to think is a problem hand for me, JT I limp early with it and call a raise from RUNBMC. I get out on a flop bet though, and see a big $110 pot (that I would ahve won, but that is irrelevant) go to pocket queens.

I call this a problem hand because I catch myself wanting to limp with it to see what happens every single time I get it. Q quick look into pokertracker shows me that I've gotten JTs 18 times, JTo 44 times and have played it almost 70% of the time I get it, losing almost 1 BB per occurance if its suited, and 0.04 BB/hand for JTo.

KateHudson leaves, and I am happy, a very agressive player who was clearly throwing me off.

4 handed now with runbmc, dadadada and brooklyn.

Hand #113: AQo UTG, I raise and brooklyn calls. Flop is JT5, I bet and brooklyn calls. The turn gives me an open-ended straight draw with a 9. I just check though(brooklyn rarely calls the flop after I've raised, I assume he's got something now). We check down a blank river and I see 67 suited from him, and I take the $30 pot.

Brooklyn and runBMC are raising a lot of pots now, but digdug1958 has joined to make it 5 handed and I decide to not loosen up too much against them to try to catch them just yet.

Hand #120: back to 4 handed. I raise on the button with K5 suited. digdug calls and bets the flop, which is Q32. I decide to call him down for info here, turn is a 4 giving me a straight draw, the river misses, digdug checks, I check,he was bluffing the entire way with J5 and I'm up to $347 with the small win.

Hand #123: I limp with J6o in the SB, runbmc calls, I bet into a crap flop and take it. I don't like limping there often, I'm not sure why I chose to do it.

Hand #125: A9o on UTG, I raise, brooklyn calls. Flop comes 459, I bet, brooklyn raises, I re-raise and he calls. The turn is antoher 5, and he checks, Ib et and he calls. The river, a jack, he checks, I go ahead and bet otu again, he calls and I win a nice pot, he had 92o, top pair. I win $90 and push back up to $394.

Hand #130: free flop with Q2. Flop comes KQ4, brooklyn comes out betting. I think he likely has a king but i decide to call him down. I probably should have tried a raise at some point, but I just call him down and he does have a king. I either need to raise to try to push him off the pot, or just go ahead and fold.

I play two hands where I push with AK and then 44 4 handed, losing both and falling down to $313. I'm not happy with how I played any of those three hands(but the AK and 44 flew by as I was trying to catch up in my writing).

We get back up to 5 handed. JDAFORE is at the table. I've loaded my first 100 hands into tracker, runbmc was raising 7% of the time over that 100 hands. His raise % has shot way way up, either he's catching cards of his style has changed for some reason.

Back to 6 handed. giggsydan is to my left. I am back down to $298, the 4 handed play was not kind to me. I was pushing and calling at all the wrong times.

Hand #148: After a bad run of starting cards, I get pocket 10s and raise in the cutoff. Only digdug calls me. the flop comes A43, and I bet, digdug calls. The turn is an ace, and I freeze. I have been getting hit pretty hard and making the wrong decisions. I freeze and check. The river gets checked too and I win a $30 pot vs Q3.

Hand #159: AKo UTG, I raise and only brooklyn calls me. I bet into the 268 flop, he calls, I bet again into the 5 on the turn and he check-raises me. I call and fold to the river that helps me none. I'm back down to $252.

Hand #163: A7 suited. I raise pre-flop, get one caller. The flop misses me, I bet, JDAFORE raises me and I decide to re-raise to try to catch him bluffing. He calls and bets out on the turn. I fold and leave the table down $20, my play against that lineup just totally fell apart.

NET: $230, -$20.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:58 PM   #20
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:
Hand #73: A6o in the BB, I call a raise by the button after brooklyn calls the small blind. three hearts on the flop, and I have the ace and call a single bet. The turn pairs the board and I'm heads up now, I don't know why I feared this but I folded. I think I almost had the odds to draw to my flush too. Oh well.

So by my counting there were 10 sb in the pot and you would have had to call one BB to call. Assuming the flush is good if you hit(it wouldn't be the nuts but a good bet) then you had 9 outs and a very small, but positive, expectation value. I am also assuming if the four flush hit the board that your opponent would have folded to a bet so you wouldn't make any more money of the river. I wouldn't beat myself up over a fold here.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 07:40 AM   #21
Radii
Head Coach

Back to a normal schedule... 7:40 am, I usually play for an hour or so before heading off to work in the morning.

whee, first hand I watch as I sit down, Q9 crushes AA, AA "f u terrible player f u f u f u"

Ok, Swepe101 is to my left(the Q9), sideline, janwee, eugen1(mr FU) and weiganghuang round out the board.

Morning play is often better than evenings in general... that is, the competition is often tougher, not that the games are better or easier.

Hand #6: AQ suited, I raise and get 1 caller, the button, sideline. He folds to a ragged flop that I bet out on.

eugen1 is still pissed at swepe101 for the aces hand "sweep[sic.] I will stick it in u" this is great.

Hand #14: I get a free flop vs limper janwee in the big blind. I have 95 suited. Flop comes KT5 with one of my suit, and I take a stab at it. and win the small pot right there.

Hand #15: weiganghuang(huang from now on) raises from the button, he has raised a lot in position like that, I call, so does swepe, I have KQo. Flop comes J92 and I fold when swepe comes out betting. I learn later that huang had pocket 7s and lost to swepe's 89o.

Hand #18: I raise early with pocket 6s. Tight table, I pick up the blinds.

Hand #23: I raise in the cutoff with KQ suited. huang had limped behind me, and he calls. Flop comes K38 rainbow, I bet, he calls, turn is a 2, I bet, he folds. The $45 pot is the biggest I've been involved in yet. I squeak up to $276

Hand #29: My old nemisis, JTs. At this tight table? I'm raising. I get called by janwee, and the flop comes QT5, with two of my suit. jan bets out and I raise, he just calls. The turn is a blank, he bets and I decide to call down his queen if I miss the flush. River another blank, he bets, I call, and I am pleased to see he called my raise with 8T. The $80 pot is mine.

Hand #33: folded to me in the SB with 68 suited. I raise, trying to steal swepe's blind. He calls, but folds when I flop a 6 and bet.

Hand #45: I have T9 suited in the SB. I get a cheap flop along with eugen1 and swepe. Flop comes JQx, I check, swepe bets and eugen1 and I call. The turn makes my straight with a Q, I check, swepe bets, eugen1 calls, I raise, swepe calls, eugen1 re-raises, and I cap. swepe calls. The river is another blank. I bet, swepe raises, and I call. He indeed has the AT and I get demolished by his higher straight, a $168 pot.

Hand #48: I raise A7 from the button, sideline re-raises me, and I call but fold on the flop. Down to $211, ick.

Shortly thereafter, I limp with QT, flop top pair and end up losing another pretty big pot to AQ. Argh.

As of hand #55 I'm at $180.

Hand #56: I call a raise out of the big blind with 89 suited. The flop comes 8 high, I bet out and janwee calls. The turn is an ace, and I relaize I may be screwed, but I bet and he folds. Back to $195 with that pot.

Hand #62: Free flop with Q6o. Flop comes Q77, I bet out, and one of the two others left with me stays in. Turn is a 6, I bet and he folds.

Hand #63: K7s in the small blind. Huang raises on the button, I put him on a steal attempt again and I call. Flop misses me completely, but I decide to bet out into him. He thinks and just calls. Same on the turn, he thinks about it and calls. The river is a final blank card, I bet into him a final time, he thinks for a very long time, I am convinced he'll fold and give me the pot. He calls, and he shows down K8o. Bleh. I am down to $150 after that failed bluff.

Hand #71: My first legitimately good hand in ages. I have AQo. I just call a raise from Huang though, and I catch top pair on the flop. He bets and I just call him, on the turn he checks, I bet into him and he folds. The pot takes me to $156.

Hand #72: Two good ones in a row. AKo, Huang limps, I raise, and he is the only caller. The flop is total rags, I bet and he calls. The turn is another rag, he checks, I check and we get a free river card. He bets on the river, I call him down and he has a weaker ace than I do. I am back to $190.

Hand #76: I limp with 34s on the button, in a monster hand with 4 opponents. The flop is a good one for me, AQ5 with two of my suit. I call a bet on the flop, and turn my straight with a deuce. Its checked around to me this time, I bet and the entire table folds. Come on! That should have been my big hand to get back up to even! Well, I am back up to $212.

Hand #81: I have KQ suited in the small blind. I raise when its folded to me, swepe re-raises and I cap him. Teh flop comes KT9 with one of my suit. I bet out and he folds, the $43 pot puts me back to $225

Hand #88: A3o on the button. I limp into a big field, hoping my post-flop play won't make me regret the move. But oh it does, as an ace flops and I just call it down. I don't lose to the ace, I lose to a turned two pair, but I was near-dead to the ace. Back down to $188 on that mistake.

I win one last pot, a crappy $30 with KK, to finish the morning with $205.

NET: -$45
Old 05-04-2004, 01:28 PM   #22
Subby
lolzcat

Great read...really enjoying this!
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 02:29 PM   #23
primelord
Pro Rookie

Radii,

I just now have started to read through your sessions so hopefully it is ok if I go back and ask questions on hands from earlier sessions.

Quote:
From Session #1
Hand #59: AKo in the SB. A new player, PokSaw raises, odd6268 calls, I re-raise and its called. Flop is QT4. I bet and he raises, I call. Turn is a 2nd ten. I check, and he checks. That confused me enough to bet the river. The river was a blank, I bet, he raised and I called. He showed down T9 suited to take down a nice pot. that little hit drops me to $411 and I'm not sure what to make of my new friend poksaw. His check worked, as I tried to take the pot on the river. but I was calling him down no matter what, so he didn't get any extra money out of me.

This hand was interesting. Certainly you started out with a very strong hand, but when the pre-flop raiser raises you on the flop that missed you I am surprised that didn't put you into check fold mode. From the description of the players at this level I got the impression that they will only make a play like that if the flop hit them. And when he checks through the paired T's that just made me think he had a Q and was afraid you were trying to check-raise your T.

I think I would check fold this river. Maybe check call. If you want to see the show down check/calling seems to be the better option as you are most likely going to only get called/raised by hands better than yours since you can only beat a bluff. Interesting hand.

This is a great read so far!
Old 05-04-2004, 02:58 PM   #24
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
This hand was interesting. Certainly you started out with a very strong hand, but when the pre-flop raiser raises you on the flop that missed you I am surprised that didn't put you into check fold mode. From the description of the players at this level I got the impression that they will only make a play like that if the flop hit them. And when he checks through the paired T's that just made me think he had a Q and was afraid you were trying to check-raise your T.

I think I would check fold this river. Maybe check call. If you want to see the show down check/calling seems to be the better option as you are most likely going to only get called/raised by hands better than yours since you can only beat a bluff. Interesting hand.

Any comments/questions about older hands are more than welcome, I re-read these things once myself later to evaluate my own play and am more than happy to re-think/re-visit old hands.

I got confused on that hand by poksaw's play. At that point he was the last to act. After the re-raise on the flop I was ready to give up my hand, maybe I'll check-call maybe I'll check fold(the inside straight draw + getting info from a new player + just maybe he's bluffing, sometimes agressive players at this level play like a maniac at the start to generate an impression... that possibility alone isn't enough to keep me hanging on but all of the above made it seem reasonable enough for me to check/call).

Then the board pairs the Ten. He can kill the betting, and after pushing the flop and turn he checked. Why would he do that? Why would he push pre-flop and on the flop and then check the turn when the board paired? If he was trying to scare me off with bottom pair, maybe he does that, or, if he has a draw of some sort and doesnt' really have a hand, or, a middle pocket pair. I think it's pretty poor play for him to check down a queen or a ten at that point, so I don't put him on either of those at all.

On the river, *maybe* a bet pushes him off of a much lower pocket pair(which are often raised pre-flop in these games, by me and others) or bottom pair. And I think that was my reasoning at the time. Quite simply I expected him to bet the turn and river, and when he killed the betting on the turn with a check, I said to myself, "That's a sign of weakness, I'm betting again"

In the heat of the moment, that's really all I thought, and fired at him. If I had thought about it more(certainly to the level of detail you and I both have in our posts now) I would have come to the conclusion that a check/call is the better play here.

Often, as you can see from many of the hands I've posted, if I raise with ace high pre-flop, I will bet the flop/turn/river if I'm heads up, whether I hit or not. And very often, I will get called to the river and then my opponent will fold on the river.

The differences here are two-fold. 1) My opponent was raising. 2) I didn't bet the turn, my own sign of weakness, giving the river bet less weight. None of that mattered with the hand he actually did have, but, if he had pocket 3s or a straight draw w/ a good high card, those kinds of things would have mattered.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:02 PM   #25
Radii
Head Coach

holy crap that was a long reply, kudos to anyone reading all of that :P
Old 05-04-2004, 08:01 PM   #26
Radii
Head Coach

I sit down at ~8:30, having lost my last few sessions, most of the time after having been noticibly ahead. I hope to put an end to that tonight.

I sit at the far left of the table, to my left is an empty sead, then westlaw, snuggs628, insipid, and bilie. All new to me I believe(I do not have all my tracker notes on this laptop, working on that.

before i play a hand sports09 joins to my direct left.

I fold QTo on my first button... I'm starting off tight here(I'll often play that on the button in a short game).

Westlaw and snuggs go raise-crazy on a board of TT55x, they both havce a ten. Westlaw comments that he had the "better hand" since he had AT vs snuggs' KT. Hrrms.

Hand #8: My first pretty good hand, AT suited. I call a raise from insipid (I'm in the SB), sports09 calls as well. I flop the 4 flush and the inside straight draw(KQ4 clubs). I check, sports09 bets, insipid folds and I call. I call a blank on the turn, and we both check the blank on the river. I lose to sports09's QJ pair.

Hand #11: I raise UTG with AJo, only the BB calls(billie). The flop sucks, KQ3 with two hearts. I bet out when checked to me, and I take the small pot.

We fall quickly to 3 handed here, myself, insipid and new player herb700.

Insipid is quite agressive.

Hand #19: pocket 9s, herb raises, I re-raise, and end up taking a $54 pot betting the J-high flop/turn.

That didn't last long, insipid and I are heads up now.

I take about $30 off insipid in about 5 hands, all totally on bluffs, he seems to respect me. snuggs is now back for a 3-way.

I get heads up w/ insipid with A9, flop top pair, and we raise it up to $75 before he folds on me on the turn, he was trying to represent the ace and I guess didn't have it. Nice of him, he folded right when I was ready to check/call the rest of the way.

rmrichards joins and we are now 4 handed...

30 hands in I have $263.. with blinds moving by so fast its hard to tell just from the posts whether I'm up or down I'm sure.

more weird 4 way... I call a raise from the big blind with 57 suited. I flop bottom pair, bet out and end up taking about $60 off him.

MrVodka joins and we are back up to 5 handed.

I raise UTG with AQ, 3 people call... The flop is nice, AT5, checked to me, I bet out and all 3 call. The turn is a 2nd ten. I bet out again, only MrVodka calls. The river eases my fear of the ten... Ace! I take down about $90

Hand #40: AK suited 4 handed. I raise pre-flop and get heads up with MrVodka. I bet into the 9TJ flop, he calls. I bet the 5 on the turn, he calls. The 8 on the river puts 4 to the straight out there, and we check it down... I think he wanted to check-raise... Q2 beats my AK.

Hand #42: I see Kt suited from the small blind(limp), the flop has two tens. I try to slowplay, it doesn't work, no bet on the flop, I bet the turn and they all fold.

4 handed again, jhevey, snuggs, mrvodka in order to my left. Lots of small pots back and forth and I have $326 after 45 hands.

jhevey runs through $100 in about 10 hands, back to 3 handed.

First 3 handed hand I flop a straight with QJ and take down about $65 from MrVodka.

2nd 3 handed hand I take a $105 pot from snuggs with 7s full of kings.

I take a break to watch 24, leaving the table with $379, much of my gain from two lucky hands w/ action at the end, but up regardless.

NET: +$129
Old 05-05-2004, 07:37 AM   #27
Radii
Head Coach

Wednesday Morning poker

I join a short table, to my left is Shpeelkeys, but he has $11 left, he doesn't look to be around long, showst0pper is to his left, and then Rikers(with a boatload of money, though it doesn't mean he's been winning). RSox1918 is sitting out.

We do start 3 handed, shpeel goes broke before I start playing.

Hand #2: I raise pre-flop with pokcket 8s, flop the low end of a straight draw with 9TJ on the board, and watch it get capped on the flop, I finally have the sense to get out on the turn. My straight never would have hit and pocket 9s from rikers flopped the set.

route63 joins to my left, and tschang1 to my right, we're 5 handed once they both post.

I steal the blinds with QJ on the button on hand #4

Hand #7: I play 45 sutied from the small blind, flop middle pair(K53) and bet out, route63 calls me on the flop but folds on the turn. The $38 win gets me back up to $235.

Route63 calls down two pair on the board with ten high(he had bottom pair, not anymore)

Hand #9: I call a raise with JT suited, I am heads up with Rikers. Flop comes KKQ, and we both check on the flop and turn(a low card). The river comes out with a ten, I debate checking, but I go ahead and bet, rikers just calls, and shows AT to have me beat.

Hand #10: pocket deuces in the small blind. I limp along with 3 others, and the big blind(route63) throws out a raise, which we all call. The flop gives me a set, 267 flop. I lead out betting, and get called all the way down by route63, I take down a $80 pot.

Hand #11: Very next hand I raise on the button with 6's and get heads up with route63. The flop and turn bring only one overcard, so I bet and he calls. The river is a jack, I bet, he raises, I call, and I see his KJ for the win.

Hand #15: Pocket Jacks on teh button, I raise and the entire table calls(4 handed right now). The flop gives me a straight draw, 9TQ. I bet and only rikers calls me. The turn gives me the set, but also puts 4 to the straight on the board, I bet and rikers calls. The river eases my fears of a straight, the board pairs the ten and I've got a full house. I bet again, rikers calls and turns over pocket 8's, the low straight. My full house takes down an $88 pot.

After 21 hands I have $290. I have gotten 5 pocket pairs so far... (folded deuces early once + the four listed above)

Hand #24: I raise in the SB with T9, trying to steal from route63. He calls, and calls the ragged 862 flop. A king on the turn, and he folds to my aggression this time. I take down $38 for my efforts and am up to $306.

Hand #26: 3 handed for now, rikers/me/showstopper. I have A5 suited, I just check when rikers limps to me pre-flop. On the flop I call when I pair my aces(AK9 on the board). I bet out the turn, and take the pot.

Hand #27: K5o on the button, I limp and we see the flop 3 handed. The flop is blank and we all check. The turn is a king, rikers bets out and for some reason I believ he has a better king. I just call. The river is a blank and I call another bet, he was totally bluffing, the pot is mine.

Hand #31: 76 suited in the big blind. We see a 3 way flop, which comes 744, rikers bets out, I raise, and only he calls. The turn is a king, he checks, I bet, he folds.

Hand #32: 99 on the button. 4 handed now(uscrulez to my left). rikers raises, I debate re-raising, and certainly should have, but I don't. uscrulez calls. The flop comes Q88, and agani, I just call a bet. King on the turn, same thing, and the river gets checked down. I played this hand absolutely horribly, but, I was up against AT and AJ, they both missed and I take down the pot.

Back to 5 handed, alz021 to my right. Rsox1918 is still sitting out. I have $395 at the table.

Hand #40: I get a free flop with K7 suited in the big blind, 3 handed. Flop comes Q72, one of my suit, I bet out from middle position and both opponents call. The turn is another 7, giving me a very strnog hand, I bet again and only uscruelz calls. The river is a 6, I bet, he calls, and I beat his QT(top pair on the flop) for a nice $68 pot. He mumbles something about morons and leaves the table. Agression gets you everywhere my friend.

DUBLINSHARK joins in his place to my left.

Hand #49: I make a pretty bad move with AJ. Well, lack of a move perhaps. Showstopper raises, I call out of the big blind with AJo, and the early limper dublinshark also calls. The flop is all low cards, 345. showstopper bets and we both call(bad call on my part, take over the pot if I think I'm best, or fold). The turn is another 3. showstopper seemingly gives up, he checks it down. The river is a jack, I have top pair now, and I feel I'm best, I bet, dublinshark raises, I call and he turns over 83o for trip 3s. I drop a fair amount playing that hand very poorly.

Hand #54: Another interesting one. I have AJo again in the big blind. 3 limpers to me. Raise or check? I check. Flop comes J93, two diamons(I have no diamonds). alz021 leads out betting, I raise. Showstopper raises behind me... rikers and alz folds. What do I do here? Showstopper has been reasonably tight at the table. trips of some sort? a middle pocket pair trying to buy it? Based on his play so far I decide to believe he has me beat. I just call. The turn is a 3rd diamond. I check, showstopper.... checks. The river is a jack. He doesn't have the flush, if I can really put him on two pair or trips I might be behind... screw that, I'm betting. showstopper calls and I see pocket kings. Possibly the most horribly played pocket kings in history?

I catch dublinshark twice. I raise on the button with JTs, dublinshark calls. I flop a straight. Bet it all the way, he calls til the river. I win a nice pot. A few hands later I raise with KJ suited from a middle position, flop the nut straight, rainbow board. I bet it all the way, dublinshark calls til the river, where he raises me, I re-raise, he calls and I take down a very nice $115 pot. He had AQ, flopped two pair when I flopped my straight.

The cards just hit me over the head for awhile. JTo, I limp in the cutoff, flop two pair, someone calls me down, $80 pot. No big losses anywhere, and 71 hands in I have a profit of over $300, I am sitting at $562.

Hand #75: AJo in the small blind.. two limp, I raise, and the big blind and both limpers call. The flop comes 553, I bet into it and all 3 call. The turn is an 8 and I'm ready to give up my hand. I check... and watch this sequence: dublinshark bets, showstopper CALLS, rikers raises, dublinshark calls, showstopper RERAISES, rikers calls. the river, a 4. Now: dublinshark checks. showstopper checks, rikers bets, dublinshark calls, showstopper check-raises, rikers re-raises, showstopper caps... a really odd sequence of betting there... The pot ends up being $270, rikers pocket 4's river a full house to beat showstoppers pocket 3's flopped full house

Hand #78: KQo in the big blind. 3 limp to me and I just check(knowing when to raise out of the big blind is clealry one of my weak points). Flop comes QJJ, I bet and showstopper and rikers call me. Turn is a ten, I bet, and here we go again. showstoppers calls, rikers raises, I call, showstopper RERAISES(what the hell is a call-reraise anyway?), rikers just calls, I fold. I later learn, rikers just wanted me to call, he didn't want me to have to cold-call two. He had JT, full house. showstopper had A8. He had nothing.

That hand drops me down near $500, and I decide to call it a morning soon after.

I play 84 hands, and I dont think my play was really spectacular or anything, in fact many points I felt I was being too passive, but the deck ran over me nicely and I got all the action I needed while it was happening(though one of those $230 pots would have been nice on one of my flopped straights, I can't really complain though )

I leave with $506.50.

NET: +$256.50

After that great run when I first started posting, I had 6 straight losing tables, I had lost $290. I am very pleased to see that when I'm losing, I'm not handing away ALL my chips, and when I'm winning, I'm winning larger amounts than when I lose.

This was a big problem of mine. My first foray into 5/10, I went on a major rush, turning a profit of $1200 over 1 weekend, I would sit down and 2 hours later turn $250 into $750. I tripled my money multiple times. Then, I ran cold. I lost $300+ in single sittings. I gave back almost all of that $1200 profit in about 5 days. At that point I took some time off and played some tournaments(see my posts about $50+$5 tourneys that I was playing for awhile on the general board). After 3-4 weeks I decided I had the bankroll to try out 5/10 again and have been much much more controlled. Big swings can and will happen at times, I am well aware of this, but I have been more in control of my play. I can lose $100 and not chase it with antoher $200 while tilting. I can win $300 when everything goes right and get hyperagressive, and slow down and even leave the table when I see things swing the other way. I am much, much, much happier with my play in general this time around, and think this can be long term profit for me.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:01 AM   #28
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
From session #2
Hand #28: AJo in the small blind. Serling raises from UTG+1, I call as does the big blind. Yeah, the cards are hitting me over the head tonight. J43, two hearts. My ace is a heart. I don't check-raise often, but this is a great spot to, serling has the button and is morally obligated to bet if checked to him. He does bet and I raise, getting heads up. He calls me down from that point on, and I learn that the pre-flop raise came with KTo. A terrible, terrible raise IMO. I take down the $88 pot.

Did he open raise with that KTo? If it was folded to me on the button with KTo I would raise that every single time without hesitation. With only the blinds to act behind you it is very possible you will get called bya worse hand in the BB thinking you are just trying to steal. And then if one of your cards pair you are likely going to be good.

In addition I would have 3 bet with your AJ when raised by the button. He could be raising a very wide range of hands in that situation (including KTo ). You likely have the best hand here and even though you are out of position you probably want to shut the BB out of the action. I like the check-raise there. The button is going to bet nearly 100% of the time in those situations and if you get 3 bet then you know you are probably in real trouble and can fold unimproved on the turn.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:25 AM   #29
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Did he open raise with that KTo? If it was folded to me on the button with KTo I would raise that every single time without hesitation. With only the blinds to act behind you it is very possible you will get called by a worse hand in the BB thinking you are just trying to steal. And then if one of your cards pair you are likely going to be good.

In addition I would have 3 bet with your AJ when raised by the button. He could be raising a very wide range of hands in that situation (including KTo ). You likely have the best hand here and even though you are out of position you probably want to shut the BB out of the action. I like the check-raise there. The button is going to bet nearly 100% of the time in those situations and if you get 3 bet then you know you are probably in real trouble and can fold unimproved on the turn.

He wasn't on the button, no. I don't remember and its not clear from the history if it was 5 or 6 handed at this point. He was at best 1 off the button, possibly two.

When I say later in the hand that "serling has the button and is morally obligated to raise" etc etc, I meant that he had bought himself position with his raise, as the people after him (outside the blinds) folded.

I don't remember any details other than that as to position, etc. I can look the hand up in tracker tonight though.

I don't like KTo off the button personally, even in one of these games, and even just one off the button. With the button I'd raise that too most of the time(depends on how agressively the people behind me will defend their blinds). If I thought he was on a steal I should definitely re-raise w/ AJ in a blind, but from the looks of things, I seemed to be putting him on a real hand.

If he's one off the button, what do you think of an open-raise with KTo?
Old 05-05-2004, 11:36 AM   #30
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
when I'm winning, I'm winning larger amounts than when I lose.

You, my friend, have figured out the key to regularly playing mid-limit poker.

In one of Vic's posts in GD, he's said that his win rate is like $40/hour (in 15/30) with a StDev of +/-$240. That means he loses more than $200 16.5% of the hours that he plays, if my udnerstanding of SD is correct.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:37 AM   #31
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
He wasn't on the button, no. I don't remember and its not clear from the history if it was 5 or 6 handed at this point. He was at best 1 off the button, possibly two.

When I say later in the hand that "serling has the button and is morally obligated to raise" etc etc, I meant that he had bought himself position with his raise, as the people after him (outside the blinds) folded.

I don't remember any details other than that as to position, etc. I can look the hand up in tracker tonight though.

I don't like KTo off the button personally, even in one of these games, and even just one off the button. With the button I'd raise that too most of the time(depends on how agressively the people behind me will defend their blinds). If I thought he was on a steal I should definitely re-raise w/ AJ in a blind, but from the looks of things, I seemed to be putting him on a real hand.

If he's one off the button, what do you think of an open-raise with KTo?

Ah my mistake. You did say he was UTG+1 so when you later mentioned he was on the button I just assumed you were 4 handed at that point. I should have realized you would have just labeled him as the button in the first place if that is where he started.

You're right that changes pretty much everything I wrote. I might raise it one off the button, but that because a lot more game specific and in most cases I would probably let it go as the button still may raise a very wide range of hands behind me trying to get it heads up with me and with position.

Considering he wasn't the button to start like I thought I think I would have played the hand exactly as you did.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:25 PM   #32
Radii
Head Coach

session start: 5:22 pm

All new guys here, smart_y to my left, ggreenie, joshkatz, and DeafASL after that, in order, we are 5 handed when I sit down.

smart_y has pushed early with a couple of very bad hands.

Hand #1: 78 suited in teh big blind. I get a free flop and we are 5 handed. Flop comes 79T with two of my suit. Not bad... I bet out and everyone calls. Now it gets interesting. 2 on the turn gives me 4 to the flush, to go with my 4 to a straight and flopped bottom pair. DeafASL bets before me, I call, smart_y raises... luckily I get to kill the betting, and I do. river is a second ten. I'm out of this hand. WHOA. deafasl and smarty paired 2s on the turn. That's what they bet and raised. I just folded the winner in a $148 pot. This is going to be interesting.

This might be a table where I either win a ton or lose everything, in very short order depending on the cards.

deafASL just won a $160 pot w/ 62, played for a raise in the cutoff... whew.

Hand #5: I have AKo in the cutoff. I raise and get 4 callers. The flop comes 234, I decide to check. Smarty bets and I call along with the rest of the table. The turn? a 5, I've got a straight, but hey, who doesn't now? I get stuck between deafASL and smart_y, both raising, I end up calling $30, ready to lose badly to a 6 at this point. The river? a 6, there is a made straight on the board. smarty and deaf asl cap it, I cannot believe they both have 7's, and I call it all the way. What'd they have? Q5 and J5, pairs on the turn. I should have folded, even to this play, but, I am glad I called, as I'm sitting at $215 right now.

Please dear lord give me a hand before these wackos bust out.

Hand #8: I raise KQo on the button, a new player (JennaOO), along with smarty and deafASL, call me. the flop comes 646, and I fold when smarty bets and deafASL raises.

So the strategy is clear here I think. I have to raise my good hands pre-flop, to get out the good players, but I still need a hand to beat these two maniacs. But if I can take them down on a hand or two I will win an absolute ton. asl just won a $310 pot capping it with smarty, a flopped two pair vs nothing. JennaOO mentions reporting them. I can see a suspicion of collusion as well, that's for sure, but I don't believe it based on the insane play with single pairs.

Smarty is down to his last $3, but wins a big hand.

deafASL leaves the table, claiming offense at the collusion comments(can't say I blame him, if he is not cheating).

The table basically falls apart and I end up heads up with JennaOO with about $200 at the table for a short while.

My cards turn to crap short handed. I lose a few blinds and lose a little on second pair and am down to $155.

smart_y comes back, and we are 5 handed again, the lineup is:

me, smart_y, jennaOO, btherria, and caillou

Hand #29: I get my best hand so far, KT suited in the SB. I raise and smarty calls, I flop a flush, hope him to be oblivious and bet out, and he folds.

After 30 hands I'm at $145.

Hand #31: AQo UTG, I raise it, and get heads up with smarty. I catch an ace, but the most I can get out of it is a $65 pot. He folds on the river.

Hand #32: AQ suited UTG (a new player just posted). I raise and we have 3 way action w/ smarty and caillou. I flop top pair, bet and get both callers. The turned 8 gives me a flush draw, I bet and get both callers. The river brings a 4, no flush, I bet, both call, and I take down $108 with top pair. caillou had AJ(2nd pair), smarty had 59 (high card queen).

Hand #33: I get a free flop heads up against smarty, I have J6, he has $17. I flop middle pair, bet, he raises, I put him all in. He has QQ and takes me for about $35, and leaves the table.

Anyone catching good cards against that table could have won $500 in 30 hands. I lost $25 and can't be too disappointed about it.

same table, new faces:

changeup, jennaOO, btherria, caillou, and easyduzzit2, in order to my left.

Hand #36: I have QQ and raise pre-flop, I get heads up with JennaOO, flop is a perfect Q45 rainbow. I decide to slowplay(EEP), and check. jenna checks too. Turn is a jack. I bet and she calls. River is an ace. I bet, she raises, I see visions of KT but really cannot be afraid of KT at this point, I re-raise, jenna caps, and it's KT for the straight. Wonder if she would have folded had I not slowplayeD? I drop about $70 on that hand.

Hand #37: QQ two times in a row, this time I raise and get heads up with btherria, flop comes 332, I bet, he calls, turn is a 9, I bet, he folds. I now have $177.

Hand #47: Unsure of what to do with a face card in my hand, I limp in mid position with J9 suited. I fold when the flop misse me completely. The cards I'm seeing are total junk right now

Hand #51: I limp with A5 suited in the SB, flop comes down A66 and I bet into it, the BB folds but btherria, another early limper, hangs around. The turn is the 4 of hearts, giving me a heart draw, I bet and he folds. I am up to $181.

Hand #55: free flop with K9o, 3 opponents. The flop comes 972. I bet and the SB(easyduzzit2) check-raises me. I call and decide to call him down, as I've seen nothing from him so far. He bets the turn, then checks a jack on the river... he has pocket tens.

Hand #56: A5o in the SB. I raise to steal when its folded to me. ignoman, another new player, calls. I bet the flop, and get raised. I call, and catch an open-ended straight draw on the turn. We check it down after that, and I lose to A7.

Those losses hurt bad, after a small win I push back up to $130. eek.

Hand #67: bad cards bad cards... JTo in the cutoff, Surely my image is tight, and the table has tightened up a lot, I raise pre-flop. I get two callers(both blinds). The flop gives me an inside straight draw, all low cards, and I bet, jenna folds and btherria calls. The turn gives me the flush draw(3 clubs, I have the jack), i bet again and btherria calls. The river is another blank and I fire at it one last time, he's folded befoer... and, he folds again. The pot of $68 pushes me back to $150.

I flop top pair after raising on the button with KTo and betting both blinds to call, I bet the flop, on the turn btherria raises me, and I call a bet of his on the river to see 53o, he turned two pair, T653X...

I am down to $70 at this point, but still feel I am one of the better players at this table.

Hand #83: with btheriia limping UTG, I put in a raise with A6o, I get 3 callers and give it up on a flop with two high cards that misses me totally.

Hand #90: I push with A7o into the big blind and give up about $40 when I see AJ...

I am not tilting at this point, so I decide to find another table, this one is too tight to make up any losses at.

NET: -$240 (ouch!)
Old 05-06-2004, 07:55 AM   #33
Radii
Head Coach

I joined two more tables yesterday and very quickly lost signifigant amounts, I got frustrated and stopped writing it up, and also stopped playing. I was definitely on tilt towards the end, making a lot of very loose calls. So much for not suffering any big losses! I ended up down over $500 on the evening, part of it was definitely bad play but I dno't think all of it was really, the cards were just very cold and you drop blinds so fast at this level, and if you aren't picking up small pots here and there, you are in trouble.

Hand #2: I get KQo 3 handed, vs Luv2sandbag and donnypie. I raise out of the SB and donnypie calls. Flop comes JT4 with two hearts. I bet an get called, the turn is an 8, I bet and get called. The river is the 9, making my straight, but it also makes the flush. I bet it, and donny raises. I hope he has just a queen or 7, with 4 to the straight on the board, but he has the flush, ace high even(a5 hearts), I was behind the entire way. A quick $50 is gone.

Hand #13: A4 suited in the BB, we are 4 handed now. JVZman, donnypie and I see a flop, which comes down great for me, A45. I just call donnypie on the flop, jvzman calls as well. The turn is a queen, donnypie bets and I raise, jvzman calls along, as does donnypie. The river is a 2, giving any 3 a straight, so when donnypie bets out I just call. Turns out he had 25 and caught his 2nd pair on the river, I am back up to $245

Hand #15: A5 suited in the cutoff, I raise, two call then luv2sandbag re-raises... I don't like being 4 way with this hand, I call to see the flop but fold to the first bet.

Hand #20: A4 suited on the button, donnypie limps, I raise, JVZMan and donny both call. The flop brings an ace and donnypie comes out betting, I hope I don't have kicker problems against him but I'm willing to call it down to find out after seeing the 25 hand. He actually had nothing, caught a king on the turn to give him a pair, and I take down the $93 pot.

Hand #22: Boomboom54 is different, I caught an ace against him but when he started betting out and I decided to call it down, he turned over AK, dropping me back down to $215.

totally new lineup here really... boomboom54 to my left, rvppi, davidliu, sspol99, and donnypie around the table.

At this point I reset the stats and tighten up a lot. I know I've gotten too loose with weak aces, and that was working when I had a good chance to get people to fold with any bet when I was hot, but that isn't happening right now.

Hand #14: here's a good hand... KK on the button. sspol99 raises, and I decide to just call, boomboom calls behind me. The flop comes 553, and I raise when sspol99 bets, boomboom folds and sspol calls. The turn is a queen. sspol check-raises me, I re-raise and he calls. On the river I bet and he calls, he has QJo and I take down a $133 pot with my kings beating his queens. That gets me back up to even($241 after the blinds pass)

Hand #23: I have QT suited in the big blind and call a raise from sspol99, raising out of the SB. The flop is great, AKJ, and I just call sspol's bet. The turn is another ace, and i hope sspol's hand wasn't *that* good when he raised pre-flop. He bets, I raise and he calls. The river is a blank, I bet and he calls. He had K4o, I take down $88 and am up to $280.

It falls to 4 handed on hand #29, me boomboom54, rvppi and davidliu. I have $273.

Never mind! Back to 6 handed before I play again... JH0715 and rickneville round out the table.

Hand #33: A5o in the big blind, I flop an ace against boomboom and rickneville... I bet out on the flop and boomboom folds, rick is still in. The turn brings a pair of twos to the board, and the river another low card. I bet the turn, but just check the river, not wanting to dump the farm on ace-bad kicker anymore, but rick just had KQ, nothing, and I take down the $43 pot.

Hand #34: I have T7 suited int eh SB. The entire table limps, so I limp along. I flop top pair, and bet out (T64 flop), with boomboom and rvppi calling me. The turn is a queen, I bet into it and boomboom raises. I've given him a ton of respect so far, and for some reason decide to call here. I'm rewarded for my (likely) bad call, a 7 on the river. I bet out again and boomboom calls me, I see his KQ, top pair on the turn, and my rivered two pair takes down a big $113 pot.

Hand #40: 57 suited in the big blind. JH0715 limps from the button and I check. The flop comes 356. I bet, he calls. The turn is a 4, I have the top end of the straight with my 7 now. I bet, he calls. The river is an ace, I bet, he calls. He limp/called all the way down with pocket kings. I've slowplayed a couple of hands today, and luckily none screwed me like that. I feel bad for the guy as I take down $60, I am up to $390.

Hand #43: davidliu raises pre-flop, rickneville calls and I look down to see pocket jacks in the SB. I re-raise and both call. The flop comes ten high, I bet out, only davidliu calls. The turn is another low card, I bet, he calls. The river is a king. Does anyone check here? I bet, he raises, I call and his AK rivered my jacks. I am back down to $337.

Hand #46: I raise UTG with pocket Kings. I get three callers... Flop comes 962, I'm third to act and I bet out here. davidliu and jh0715 call me. The turn pairs the two, I bet, and davidliu raises. I debate what to do for a little while, and decide to re-raise. davidliu folds, and I take down $103. I am back to $388.

Hand #52: I get AKo in the big blind, JH0715 limps to me from the SB, I check. A king flops, I bet and he folds.

Hand #57: rvppi and jh0715 limp to my big blind, I have A2. The flop comes out K72, and I decide to try a bet, both fold and I take down $20, up to $399.

Hand #59: I open-raise on the button with pocket 6s. rvppi is my only caller. The flop is great, T64. I decide to try the dreaded slowplay again. the flop is checked. The turn is a jack, and I get chec-raised by rvppi. I re-raise and he calls. HE calls the river and he had J4, turned two pair. I take down $100 for my efforts.

Hand #61: I raise UTG(4 way) with KJo. I get two callers, and flop a king. I bet out on the flop and turn. I check the river after it puts four to the straight on the board, but I didn't need to fear, I was up against 53o that turned bottom pair(inside straight on the flop). I take down $50.

Hand #62: another free flop, this one with J2. The flop comes KJT, and I bet into it, its the smae rvppi and jh0715 field as before. Both call. The turn is another jack, I bet again and both call. The river is my miracle river, a deuce giving me a full house. I bet and both fold. I take down $68.
That flurry puts me up to $480.

I give back just a little bit and leave the table when it gets back to 6 handed. Espicially after last night, I am very happy with the result today. I am still annoyed about last night's play, I lost $150 more than I should have, at least(possibly I should have quit when I lost that $250 that I posted about, but I honestly felt that my play was fine there).

Today i was able to back off a little, tighten up and wait for better hands until I found a couple of people I could very easily push around, and it paid off.

NET: +$197
Old 05-08-2004, 03:54 PM   #34
Radii
Head Coach

I start playing at 2:16... the first 13 hands go back and forth between 3 and 5 handed, when I start writing there are 6 at the table and I have $247.

To my left: aceking12, arubadonna, bystromgolf, bigfred17, and johnny2003.

In my first 13 hands I've gotten QQ and KK, no action on either.

I tighten up 6 handed, my only decisio through 20 hands was KJo UTG, I decide to fold it.

Hand #23: AQ suited in the big blind, I just check when two limp to me(a mistake I know). I try a bet on the ragged flop but both call, its checked down after that.

Hand #24: 89 suited in the SB, I limp with 3 others. Flop comes 89T all spades. I bet, arubadonna raises, and I call. The turn is the ace of spades, and I have to assume I have 4 outs here. I can't call a bet. Fold. Arubadonna has been very conservative so far.

Hand #29: J5 in the big blind. johnny2003 limps to me, I check. Flop is QJ3, he checks, I bet, he calls. Turn a king, I bet, he folds. That pot keeps me up at $222.

arubadonna leaves the table, feliks joins in his place.

Hand #39: After a lot of folding, I catch 93o in the big blind, johnny again limps to me, and I check. Flop A92, I bet, he calls, turn a 4, I bet he calls, river a 9, I've got 3 of a kind, I bet and he folds.

Hand #40: ATo in the small blind, folded to me, I raise, aceking12 calls. I bet the flop of Qxx and he folds. The two wins take me back up to $246.

Hand #47: JJ in the cutoff, bigfred limips, I raise, aceknig and felicks call. The flop sucks, A98. I bet anyway and get everyone calling. The turn is my jack, I bet and all 3 call. The river gives me the house with another 8, it also completes the flush. I bet, feliks calls, fred raises, I re-raise, feliks folds, fred re-raises me(all in for $9 more) and I can only call. fred hit the flush, and my full house takes down a monster $191 pot. I am up to $350.

Hand #50: 55 in the small blind, I raise after only johnny limps, and the big blind folds, johnny calls. I bet the flop of QJ4 and johnny raises me. He only has $8 left, normally I'd fold to that raise(or call the raise but fold the turn if I don't hit my set). I call, and call the guy's last $3 on the turn. He had nothing and I take down $45 or so, I am up to $380.

a new player joins, leeg33, and we are 5 handed. He bluffs J8 all the way in his first hand, losing to feliks who just calls w/ two pair.

Hand #54: A3 suited on the button, I open-raise and only feliks calls from the BB. Flop comes K93, I bet and feliks called. After that we both check it down, and we had both paired 3s, but my ace tops his queen. Up to $388

Hand #58: I raise early w/ AQo, bystromgolf (who had been sitting out) calls, and leeg re-raises. HE's been a bit hyper agressive but I just call. He bets the rags on the flop/turn/river and I decide to call him down b/c of his past agression. He has AK and beats my AQ. I fall to $348.

Hand #60: another new guy, MrVodka(a familier name). feliks and leeg cap it pre-flop and mrvodka is in too. leeg had AA, so his early action seems to have been an advertising play(or he's a nut who plays a lot like it's AA). MrVodka called th capped pot with Q7 though, and he hit trips.

I win a small pot from aceking12 when I hit two pair on KT after raising from the button. Then I lose most of it back when I call a leeg raise w/ AJ and don't hit anything and give up my hand.

MrVodka sucks out on leeg again, 96 clubs hitting runner-runner flush to beat AT trip aces from leeg(leeg is catching some cards here)

I fall to $316 pushing against leeg when I have QT suited, he has AT again in the big blid and catches an ace.

Back up to 6 handed. Allyo, dontommaso, bystromgolf, leeg33, and MrVodka in order to my left.

dontommaso caps a flop of 237 against legg, don had 44, leeg K7, both agressive.

Hand #70: I have AJ in the BB. leeg raises before me, I call and allyo limp-calls UTG. Flop comes 972. I call a flop bet from allyo, then the turn brings a jack. I call again(a mistake, I intended to check-raise, and when I saw allyo bet and leeg call again, I feared ... well, something?). I bet the river, both call, and my jacks beat ally's 9s and leegs AT(called AT w/ two opponents?)

leeg plays good hands, and is very agressive, but he overplays a bit I think.

Hand #73: A8o in the big blind(my hand #'s may be off here, we're not 3 handed). dontommaso raises pre-flop, he's been a bit loose and I decide to re-raise him. He caps it. The flop comes JJ2, and I bet out, one last attempt to push him back, and he just calls. The turn pairs my ace, I bet out and he calls. Teh river is a blank, I start to second guess myself(fearing kicker problems) and decide to check/call. don checks too, he had KQo. I take down $70.

I win a hand off a new player, panday_pera, raising Kxs from the small blind and betting all the way when a king flops. I am up to $430 after 80 hands.

Habd #84: AJo on the button, I raise and the only caller is MrVodka behind me, flop comes KJx, I bet the flop and turn, he calls the flop and folds on the turn. I am up to $455.

4 handed again. panday_pera, dontommaso and bystromgolf to my left in that order.

I win two small pots with AKo and AKs, two hands in a row, raising pre-flop, one caller that folds on the flop. I am up to $480.

inthewall joins to my right on hand 90. dontommaso leaves though, 4 handed still.

Hand #94: 45o on the big blind. Everyone sees the flop and I flop a draw, K23 flop. I call a bet on the flop, but check/fold the turn after losing my odds heads up.

3 handed now, bystromgolf and inthewall.

I push a little with KQo but give it up vs inthewall when it misses me totally (ace high is light years above king high to me at these tables.

6 handed now, kuntzie2001, jjc1998, bystromgolf, bluffersvow, and inthewall in that order to my left.

Hand #100: AKo in the cutoff, I raise pre-flop and get two callers. FLop comes QQ8. I bet and kuntzie raises. I fold on the turn, down $400 even at this point.

Hand #103: 77 in the SB. inthewall limps, I raise and he calls. I push this one when J83 hits the flop. I decide to push this one down since I have no read and really no info on inthewall. I bet into the king on the turn and he calls. The river saves me, a 7. I bet and he raises. There's a possible straight but I am nt going to fear that at this point. I re-raise, he calls and he has top pair with a king. The pot puts me back up to $455.

Hand #106: I limp with A2 suited. I flop a 4 flush, and hit the flush on the turn, but the turn card paired the board. I bet the turn and bystromgolf is the only one left in the hand. The river puts two pair on the board and he bets out. I figure he's got it but I make the crying call, anyway, and he does have it, KJ for jacks full of 5s. I fall back to $420

Hand #110: I raise with AJ suited. only bluffers vow calls. I flop an inside straight and a four flush, KQ3, two hearts. The turn gives me the flush, I bet out the entire way ad bluffersvow calls. He has QJ for 2nd pair, and the $70 pot puts me back to $440.

still 5 handed but some changes, Lasha_von, jjc1998, bystromgolf, and bluffersvow in that order make it 5 handed.

Hand #118: ATo in the cutoff. I raise and only the button calls. I bet the flop(which comes 9 high) and lasha_von folds to me, giving me the small pot.

bluffersvow busts out and leaves the table, but juggler joins in his place to keep us 5 handed.

Hand #123: I raise UTG wit AK suited... steal the blinds. dang.

Hand #124: I check w/ 66 in the BB, heads up w/ lasha_von. Flop comes K32, I bet, he calls, turn pairs the 3, I bet and he folds.

Hand #126: I cold-call with AQo after juggler raises. One other in the pot. I call him down on the flop and turn when an ace hits the board. He check/folds the river and I take down a $70 pot.

4 handed now as lasha_von leaves... NM, 5 handed, jhevey joins in his place.

No action on KK

jhevey sounded familier... he's in tracker, 11 hands, loss of $77, saw 7 flops. Not much to go on there. We were 4 handed, 7 out of 11 flops isn't necessarily a bad thing.

lamit591 joins to my right, we are 6 handed again.

jhevey, jjc1998, bystromgolf, juggler, and lamit591 in order here. 136 hands into this session, and I have $512.50.

back to 6 handed, I don't want to push too hard against a new lineup and give back a lot of my gains, so I tighten up signifigantly(but not afer I lose abuot $25 trying to steal/represent a good hand against jhevey from the SB, back to $490).

Hand #144: 99 in the big blind. I don't like this hand at all after 3 limp to me. I check and fold to the AQJ flop when its bet. I don't like a raise there because I do'nt think it thins the field any after the limpers, and costs me a lot if I'm 2nd best.

Hand #152: Ugh, I have Q9 suited in the SB, and try a steal against jhevey again. He calls me down after I bet my 4-flush on the flop. He has A5 suited, same suit as mine, thank god the flush never hit, but I am down to $430 after a few blinds and that hand.

Hand #155: I raise UTG wit AKo, and I could really use a good flop and a gain here. Only jhevey calls. I flop a king and he folds on the flop when I bet. I am back to $441 and happy to have won a pot, its been 15-20 hands(awhile 6 handed).

Hand #162: I call a raise from juggler with Q9 suited, he was raising out of the button. Flop comes ten high with two of my suit. I call a bet. The turn brings a 9, giving me 2nd pair, and I decide to just call again. We check the river and I take down a $50 pot. Too passive on my part I think(juggler had 4s).

Hand #165: I raise early with ATo, juggler calls out of a blind. He check-raises me on a Q22 flop, I call his raise but fold the turn.

Hand #169: I limp with A9o on the button, 2 ppl in before me, should I fold this? I don't like raising this when I have almost no chance of ending up heads up on the flop, and will very often be 4 handed. A raise is probably correct, but a limp on the button isn't terrible I think. Anyway, we end up 5 handed here. Flop comes KQ2 and its checked around. The turn is an ace, checked to me, I bet and take the pot.

Hand #172: I limp with 78 suited, and get punished for it, juggler raises. I call as does jjc1998. Best... flop... ever. Well, almost. Just needed one more spade. Anywya, 569, 56 spades. I just call the flop, and bet the turn and river when checked to me. I win a nice sized pot and get back to $500 here.

Hand #174: pocket kings. juggler raises pre-flop, and the guy behind him(who is new) re-raises... I decide to just call here and hope they will bet my kings for me. Flop? AT4. I bet out, juggler calls, other guy folds. What to do now? check/call? check/fold? bet out unless he raises? I really have no idea, espicially short-handed. i check/call and lose to A6

Hand #175: pcoket tens very next hand. I raise, bystromgolf re-raises, I cap. Flop comes 9 high and I bet, he calls. No card higher than a ten ever comes out, I bet out and he folds to me on the turn, I take down a nice sized pot anyway thanks to the pre-flop cap. The loss and win essentially wash each other out and I am back to $480.

We fall to 4 way and I am at $465 after 185 hands.

jc1998, bystromgolf and juggler.

Hand #189: bystrom golf limps on the button, I raise out of the blind with pocket 8s, and take the pot with a bet on a 6-high flop.

we go back to 6 handed, acamaca56, jjc1998, bystromgolf, juggler, and bmw1533. I decide to once again play a pretty tight style, and am ready to leave if the new guys aren't signifigantly fishy. bystrom and juggler just don't give away a ton of money, and they are agressive and hard to read.

Well, back to 3 handed pretty fast. I take a nice sized pot with K4, I raised and got called all the way down after flopping a king and a 4-flush.

I give a bit of that back and jjc1998 sits out, leaving me with no one to play with. I have $479.

bystromgolf comes back and we go heads up for a little while. He's very tight, and doesn't seem to loosen up much heads up.

unfortunately, I'm getting dealt 5 high or worse repeatedly.

He tries a move w/ 69 suited in the SB, lucky for me I have A7 and flop a pair. Next hand I hit two pair with A5, those two hands put me up about $70 over bystromgolf.

back to 3 handed. bystromgolf and gr728.

gr leaves. bystromgolf limps (w/ 85 suited I find later), flops a 4 flush and bets into me on flp and turn. We check the river and I beat him again. What'd I have? 23o. I paired a deuce.

Another hand over bystrom heads up where I flop top pair and he calls me down on it.

quickly back to 6 handed. table order is: tinkernuts, allbrick33, bystromgolf, tinymite, and chikagoh in order to my left. After running over bystrom heads up, i have $569.

Hand #229: Tinkernuts has only $38 left at the table. I raise with AQo and he re-raises, I go ahead and cap him, and he's got $18 left. I decide to put him all in no matter what flops. flop is jack-high, we end up all in, and he had pocket 9s, I never catch a pair, and I drop to $525 and double him up.

Hand #238: pocket 7s on the button, folded to me, I raise, and a new player(edardna) in the BB... thinks... thinks... calls. I flop the set, and slowplay it, we check the flop. edardna bets into me on the turn and I raise, and then he folds the river. That slowplay didn't buy me any extra bets, that is for sure. But I did win an ok pot with the turn raise($70). Back to $542.

Hand #243: I see the rockets in the small blind. two limpers to me, I raise and get 3 callers. I hate the flop, it's got two jacks in it. I bet, and two opponents fold, one calls. I win the pot on the turn with a bet. After a high pair ont he board on the flop, I'm just happy to win with AA. $60'ish pot puts me at $570.

Hand #249: A3 suited in the SB. I raise when folded to me and edardna calls. edardna has about $20 left. the flop has an ace, so I bet, he calls. The turn is a seeming blank, I bet, he raises (all in, just another $3 or so) and I call. I lose to 69o, turned a straight. It was certainly well hidden, but after flopping an ace pair against a guy that had $20 left, i wasn't looking to see what might be out there. Back to $530.

Hand #254: AKo in the SB. tinymite raises pre-flop, I just call, pjloch(a new player who has raised 4 of the last 5 hands or so) re-raises, tinymite and I just call. Flop is 7-high, pjloch bets and tinymite and I both call(pot odds at that point, 11:1 odds on that to try to hit an ace/king which I assume will be good still). The turn is my ace. i check, pjloch checks(giving up his hand I assume) and tinymite bets. I check-raise him and pjloch is gone. bet/call on the river and a very nice $118 pot is mine... tinymite had AQ, kicker issues.

The pot brings me up to $593.

Hand #260: 78 suitd in the small blind. Flop comes T86, I've got bottom pair and an inside straight draw. I bet out and drdrizzee calls. Turn is a 2, bet/call, river is an 7. Hopefully drdrizze had top pair and didn't have the 9. I bet, he calls, he had JT top pair, I rivered him.

Hand #266: I limp with a pretty questionable hand, 87o on the button, 4 handed action on this one... flop comes 56Q, two hearts. The flop is checked around. The turn gives me a pair of 7s but also makes the heart draw. two checks, drdrizzee bets, and I decide to call it down. The river is the 4 to give me a straight. I call another $10 bet and I see that drdrizze was semi-bluffing, AJ with 1 heart. The pot puts me at $650.

I give back a little cold-calling a raise with KT suited and flopping a draw. I have $615 again.

I make a very loose call with K8o agains bystromgolf(who is playing with about $35), catch runner runner straight against him and he says "I had JJ, what the heck were you calling with?). I think for a minute and say "way way too loose, need a break after 3 hours here I suppose huh?"

While that conversation is going on, drdrizzee limps to my BB, I have QTs. I flop top pair and he calls me all the way down. Those two wins push me up to $673, and I do sit out for a short while to get a soda and watch the end of the Cubs.

I come back after a 10 minute break or so, but right when I get back I time out off the table. It fills up immediately behind me. Oh well.

That's a good place to stop this post anyway:

Hands: 277 NET: +$423
Old 05-08-2004, 04:45 PM   #35
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Great work, Radii, sounds like you had a nice session!

Do have a question -

Quote:
Hand #100: AKo in the cutoff, I raise pre-flop and get two callers. FLop comes QQ8. I bet and kuntzie raises. I fold on the turn, down $400 even at this point.
Did you call the raise on the turn just so you aren't backing down TOO easily? Basically, I'm guessing you don't just want to build an image of someone who can be raised out of a pot easily? You'd rather fold to a bet than to a raise of your bet?

~rpi-fan

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 05-08-2004 at 04:47 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:07 PM   #36
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Great work, Radii, sounds like you had a nice session!

Do have a question -

Did you call the raise on the turn just so you aren't backing down TOO easily? Basically, I'm guessing you don't just want to build an image of someone who can be raised out of a pot easily? You'd rather fold to a bet than to a raise of your bet?

my description wasn't clear there at all. I called a raise on the flop, and then folded to a turn bet when an ace or a king didn't come out

I didn't have a read on the guy at all. At that point I was down $80 from my max during that session and was fearing getting into a habit of calling people down "just to see if they have it" and giving back all my profits. There are times when I call that down, and times when I won't, and sometimes they are admittedly pretty random when I dont' really have any idea if I'm being bluffed or not.

That session was great, but I kept playing a little too long, still up signifigantly on the day but I should have just logged off at that point(a definite problem of mine, where the fact that I have an afternoon to do whatever I want and want to entertain myself with poker crosses with my ability to play when my heads is fully in the game and I'm playing my best)

And... after a break I am getting my ass kicked by a total fish and the most straightforward player ever tonight. URGH.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:13 PM   #37
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
my description wasn't clear there at all. I called a raise on the flop, and then folded to a turn bet when an ace or a king didn't come out

I didn't have a read on the guy at all. At that point I was down $80 from my max during that session and was fearing getting into a habit of calling people down "just to see if they have it" and giving back all my profits. There are times when I call that down, and times when I won't, and sometimes they are admittedly pretty random when I dont' really have any idea if I'm being bluffed or not.

That session was great, but I kept playing a little too long, still up signifigantly on the day but I should have just logged off at that point(a definite problem of mine, where the fact that I have an afternoon to do whatever I want and want to entertain myself with poker crosses with my ability to play when my heads is fully in the game and I'm playing my best)

And... after a break I am getting my ass kicked by a total fish and the most straightforward player ever tonight. URGH.

You were plenty clear.

Obviously, you don't have "odds" so to speak, to call that raise on the flop. So a large part of that decision was to make sure you didn't get an image of a weak player, right?
Old 05-08-2004, 09:35 PM   #38
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
You were plenty clear.

Obviously, you don't have "odds" so to speak, to call that raise on the flop. So a large part of that decision was to make sure you didn't get an image of a weak player, right?

my image is definitely part of it, but I had been playing for 100 hands, even though there was a lot of attrition, my image wasn't really something I was thinking about. Quite possibly I should have been, yeah.

As to calling the raise on the flop, I think I have mentioned that a couple of times in the past but I'm sure its hidden in my hand descriptions. There are a noticible number of players who will bet/raise/check-raise the original raiser in that situation with a scary board, but when the turn comes decide that I called the raise on the flop and they're giving up. They'll check the turn despite having taken the lead on the flop. So in most circumstances I call that flop raise and see the next card, the combination of a) the possibility of catching one of my outs and b) the possibility of catching a draw, giving me runner-runner possibilities that make the hand look better, and c) the chance that he is bluffing the raise on the flop and will give it up on the turn after I call, make that call very often worth it.

In this case, none of those things happened on the turn, and I might have had the best hand but I decided it wasn't worth 2 more BB to find out in that situation.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:45 PM   #39
Radii
Head Coach

after staying too long at the tables and giving back too much of that massive profit from earlier(really that is a problem of mine, not knowing when to stand up and quit... wanting entertainment vs wanting to maximize profits are butting heads here), I take a break for dinner and rest up a bit and get back to it.

I sit at a full table with the following lineup:

radii, leonard55, anyacewilldo, thenutt, mittykit, st33lnuts, though mittykit is sitting out.

I intend to start out tight.

Hand #10: AKo in the cutoff. I open-raise, anyacewilldo goes all in for $10.50, and thenutt calls. Flop comes Q63, thenutt bets, I call. turn brings the 3rd heart(I have the king), and I call another bet, assuming my ace, king and hearts are probably all good. River is none of the above and we check it down. thenutt had pocket 5s and takes the pot.

Hand #13: A5o in the big blind. two limp and I check. Flop brings an ace, along with a king and a low card. steelnuts bets, I raise, anyace calls, steel calls. I bet a blank on the turn and anyace folds, steel calls. Fearing kicker issues, i check the river, and my ace beats steel's KJ flopped 2nd pair.

Hand #21: KQo UTG. I raise and TMMABA(new guy) and steelnuts call. Flop comes J86. steelnuts bets, and I just call. He seems to bet when he has it and fold when he doesn't... i decide to just play straight and bet if I get a good card next. Turn is an ace and we all check. on the river steelnuts bets agian, tmmaba calls him, and steelnuts was playing very straighforward poker. KJ, he bet top pair on the flop, checked fearing the ace, bet when no one bet the ace...

I win two nice hands in the next 10. Pocket 8s with a flop of 777 nets me about $50 off of TMABA, and I turn a flush and take a $100 pot against... someone who isn't here anymore.

After 39 hands, , I have $325, and am heads up against steelnuts, hoping is play is straightforward heads up too.

oh my god. He took a fair bit off of me when I had AK and never hit anything and he had a pocket pair, and he absolutely ripped me a new one on another hand. I have K5 and raise pre-flop, flop comes T5x. I bet, he raises, I call. Turn is another 5. we cap it at this point. I bet the river, he raises and I just call. He had pocket 10s. That took me down to about I lost well over $100 heads up against this guy just trying to play straightforward poker. He had a hand whenever he showed down so I don't think I played it bad, but damn.

Over another 10 hands as the lineup increases I play one hand for a raise and lose another $30 or so... here's the new lineup.

radii, armybarbie, rodeo2, deafasl, steelnuts (now with $573, he's cleaning up).

SAKLJFEI. I have played against deafasl before. He's in every single hand. He bets almost every hand. He's down $100 in 15 hands. Even more amazing is that he's won $80 from me and is still down $100. top pair on the flop, he betgs all the way, I raise a couple of times nad then fall into check/call mode. He has AQ and catgches an ace on the river. I flop 2nd pair and just clal him down after he checks the flop and re-raises my bet. He has KK. Against anyone else at the table? Betting all the way and showing down 47o for bottom pair on the flop.

I have $80 after 66 hands.

Hand #69: I raise in the cutoff with pocket 6s, only deafASL calls. only one overcard, I bet the flop and turn, a second overcard hits the river, I bet and deafasl folds. I am back up to $103.

DeafASL leaves the table, and I am sad, because he gave all his money away, took some of mine, and left.

Hand #74: I limp with 89 suited, have to call a raise from armybarbie, and see a 3-way flop with steelnuts and armybarbie. Flop contains two of my suit. The flop gets checked all the way around. On the turn, I make my flush, the board is jack high. I bet, army raises me, I re-raise and army caps. The turn is another jack. Now I fear two things. army had trips and just boated up, or has a higher flush. Perhaps I should have bet here, but we just check it down. Army slowplayed kings and got caught. I take down $105.

Hand #75: free flop with j4, I catch 2nd pair and give about $20 to steelnuts, he is begging me to believe he has top pair but I of course don't. This guy plays veru straightforward. Believe his bets. I sit at $136 after this.

we are now 6 handed as two more have joined. New lineup:

radii, armybarbie, unclerico, rodeo2, papawilander, steelnuts.

Hand #80: I get a free flop with Q2 suited, and flop top pair. I bet out and get heads up with rodeo2. I bet the turn, and check/call the river when rodeo bets out. His Q5 outkicks me (how often do 2 and 5 kickers come into play here? Bleh). I am back down to $108.

Hand #87: I take a small pot raising out of the SB with AJo and betting the flop, $112.50.

Hand #89: I call a raise from steelnuts with AJo, so do two others. I fold to a flop bet with that many people still in, my overcards aren't enough for me here.

Over the next 20 hands I have jacks full of 3s that get zero action, and pocket queens that lose a $100 pot to AQ, the ace doesn't hit until the river. Antoher loss on a straight/flush draw and I have had it for the night, the cards just hate me right now.

NET: -$175
Old 05-12-2004, 11:07 AM   #40
QuikSand
lolzcat

Inspired by your writing here, I have switched gears and have started playing the $5/$10 6-seat game at Party Poker for a change of pace. Very wild swings up and down, but I'm getting a better feel for it even after just a couple of sittings.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 01:27 PM   #41
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Inspired by your writing here, I have switched gears and have started playing the $5/$10 6-seat game at Party Poker for a change of pace. Very wild swings up and down, but I'm getting a better feel for it even after just a couple of sittings.

The swings can be pretty astounding. One of the toughest things for me to flesh out is that there are some tables where the proper strategy is to push-push-push with any hand you like, whether it hits or not, because you'll be heads up on the flop and your opponent *will* fold if he doesn't hit, and will tell you he hit whenever he does.

At some tables I get eaten alive with that strategy, and I end up playing as tightly as I would at a 10 man table(with success), knowing I must have the best hand to win and that a raise with A8 gets me nowhere.

Nothing hurts my ego more than betting like crazy on 2nd pair or on ace-high trying to force someone out of a pot, only to get re-raised on the turn or river to find out that I've been betting my opponent's hand for him.

I'd love to hear your results after playing at these tables for a bit, how the play fits in with your style and how you adjusted to the different conditions found here.

I should get back to writing soon, I've been playing but haven't been writing up my play in the past few days. My fiancee is (ironically) going to be in Vegas for the weekend so I should have a wealth of time to spend at the online tables if I feel like i'm on my game.

Last edited by Radii : 05-12-2004 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:26 PM   #42
Radii
Head Coach

In the past few days, after going ahead by a bit, I decided to take a small foray into 10/20. There is no way in the world I can handle the swings there, but, a session here and there to see how I can do doesn't scare me. I have played 10/20 for a few hours and am up about $570 in 10 hours.

I join a table and sit down with $500. CHEX2, owtovdet, and DCW123 are my only opponents when I start out.

Hand #4: A mammoth, scary hand to start out the session. I have KK in the SB. folded to me, I raise. CHEX2 re-raises out of the BB, and I cap it. The flop sucks. A4J with two diamonds. I do have the king of diamonds. I bet, and CHEX raises. I think he has the ace, but I will call him down anyway. The turn? A king! I have trips. I bet, he raises, I re-raise, and CHEX calls me. The river is the 7, no flush out. I lose to AA or QT. I bet out, CHEX calls, and I turn over my trip kings for the win. CHEX voluntarily shows his AQ suited, a very very strong hand as well. My pot? $278, I am up $130 4 hands in. Whew.

We move up to 6 handed pretty quickly. CHEX2, owtovdet, DCV123, CWCTN, and montecenere in order to my left. CWCTN looks familier, I pull up tracker, but by the time I look, he's busted out the $150 he put ont he table. (He is a terrible player, sees almost every single flop, never raises pre-flop and is more than willing to cold-call with pretty much anything.

alz021 joins in his place.

Hand #15: I have T8o in the BB. folded around, montecenere limps to me. I check. I flop an inside straight draw, and we check it down. I make my straight on the turn, and I bet and he calls. He bets into the river, and I don't have the nuts, KT would beat me, but I of course raise, get called, and I take down the pot. I am up to $666.

Hand #18: I raise with A9 suited in the cutoff, getting two callers. One is giando, a new player in his first BB. Flop comes K85, with two diamonds(my suit). Giando bets out, I raise, and he calls. he checks to me on the turn, and I bet, he calls. We check down the river when I miss my flush, and his K2o takes the pot with kings.

Hand #20: I limp UTG with JTs, get raised and call. I fold to a flop bet that has a king and two random junk cards. I have $571 after these two hands.

CHEX is gone, busted out. He got down to $1.50, didn't reload and caught pocket kings, went all in, hit a full house that would have beaten a flush, he could have won a $400 pot. Instead, he takes down $4.50. He busts out next hand.

mdlandau joins to my left.

Hand #25: The cards are good to me again, KK in the BB. 4 limpers to me, I raise it up, and of course all four call. And of course, there's an ace on the flop. All four call when I bet. No way I'm best here. I check/fold the turn, one of the first times I've folded KK with such little in losses. Two people show down single aces that would beat my kings. I am back to $526.

Hand #33: The pocket pairs keep rollilngo n. JJ on the button, 2 limpers to me, I raise, and get 3 callers. Flop comes 744. giando bets out, and I raise. giando just calls. The turn brings a queen, river an 8. I bet all the way, he calls me down and my pocket jacks beat his pocket 9s, I take down $203 and have $634 on the table.

Hand #41: i get to limp with 57 suited in the cutoff 5 way. The flop gives me 2nd pair, but I'm just not interested in taking on the world with that. we check it around and a queen hits the turn, I fold to a bet.

Hand #43: I have 97o in the BB. a free flop 3-way brings 745, I have top pair! I bet out and both call. I bet into the queen on the turn and take the $78 pot, back to $642.

We are 4 handed now. giando, alz021, and montecenere. In my estimation giando is the best player of the three. He is certainly the most agressive.

Back to 6 handed almost immediately. mdlandau comes back from sitting out, jschmoe joins, and then giando, alz021, and montecenere in that order.

Hand #48: we have a family pot, I limped with QJo in the SB. The flop comes KKT. I have the straight draw but the board is paired. I call a bet on the flop, I miss, and the turn is giving me 5:1 pot odds when its my turn to call. I go ahead and make the call, a 3rd king hits the river and I fold.

Hand #50: I raise in the cutoff with ATo. giando cals. The flop comes 972, giando check/calls me. The turn brings a jack, and giando bets. I decide to save myself 2 BB and I fold. At $562.

Hand #54: I have AJs in the SB. I raise after only the button calls. The flop misses me king high, and I bet out, both call. I bet the 2 on the turn, but check the river. a pair of 8s takes it.

Wild agression doesn't work at this table. I need to raise my good hands pre-flop, but I can't make people fold afterwards. I'm getting called down by ace high, bottom pair, that kind of thing. The hand before that one, I got a free flop with 83o, flopped bottom pair, watched one person bet and two call on every street, only to see that my pair of 3s was good, AJ vs queen high and an inside straight draw.

Hand #58: A6 in the BB, free flop with montecenere and landau. I hit an ace, bet on the flop and get one caller, bet the turn and take the pot. The small win keeps me afloat at $520.

lyonsbill joins in giando's place, he brings a massive 5 BB to the table.

alz021 leaves and matt35120 joins in his place, ALSO with 5 BB.

Hand #65: I have A8 suited on the button. montecenere limps, as usual, I raise, jschmoe calls and montecenere calls. I bet into the 7-high flop. montecenere calls. I decide to check on the ten on the turn. He'll call me with bottom pair(maybe I should bet to find out, but I am not sure). The river brings my ace, and I bet and win the $123 pot.

Hand #66: A9 suited in the cutoff. I just limp, and we have 4 way action. The queen high flop gets checked around. The turn is an ace, lyonsbill bets, and I raise. no one calls, and I take down $98.

I am back to $645.

Hand #70: I have Q8 in the SB. I limp with 2 others and see a K88 flop. I bet into it and get one caller, mdlandau. He again calls on the turn, and I check the river, fearing now the kings or the flush that has come out. He bets, I call, and I see the awesome JTo. Nothing of any sort, called down.

Hand #71: A6 suited. I limp on the button with a bunch of others.. I flop an ace and decide I'll just call if there's no raises. landau bets out, EVERYONE calls. Turn a blank, landau bets everyone calls. The river is a king. landau checks, jschmoe bets, I am the only caller. He had K4o. I win a $208 pot.

Hand #72: I lose a little on 99. I raise pre-flop, the flop comes ten high, I bet the flop and turn, montecenere calls me, we check the river down and he has a 10.

Hand #73: A8o in the BB. lyonsbill raises pre-flop, and montecenere and I call. The flop comes AQJ. I check-raise lyonsbill to see what he'll do. He calls. The turn is a 6. I bet, lyons bill raises all-in($18 more) and montecenere and I both call. We check the river, lyons had pocket 6s and beat me on the turn.

After that 4 hand flurry I've shown a little gain up to $698(I maxxed out at $841 after hand #71 but the other two took about 7 BB out of me)

Hand #80: I have J5o in the BB and end up winning a boring pot from montecenere when a jack hits and I get one bet out of him.

Hand #81: A5s in the SB. I limp with montecere and landau. The flop comes K62, two hearts. I decide to call a bet with these two and see the turn. It's an ace, I bet out and both call. The river is a 5, giving me two pair, but also bringing the flush. I bet out, montecenere calls(he had KQ for a pair of kings) and I take down $158.

I drop back down just a touch on hands 82 and 83. I raise A6s on the button, then JTs in the cutoff, neither hit and I fall a bit, I now have $784 at the table.

After loading my hands into tracker, I see that montecenere sees a good 80% or more of all hands(I had figured that out of course). mdlandau is terribly passive, seeing abuot 50% of all flops, having never raised pre-flop a single time.

adn as (hopefully) luck would have it, I end up 3 handed against montecenere and mdlandau for a time, with $714 on the table starting with hand 98.

In my first BB I get a free flop and flop a queen high flush. I check/call hoping they'll build the pot a bit. a 4th heart hits the turn though, and I bet out, and both fold.

I lose one hand, the only one I seriously try to play, and fall to $672, when TheNutsS323 joins and we go 4 handed. Soon after chironomid joins and we're 5 handed.

Hand #109: 34o in the BB. landau and montecenere in it with me. Flop comes 833. I check, landau bets EVERY TIME he's the last to act and checked to him on the flop. We both call, but they fold to my turn bet.

Hand #110: AJo in the SB. I raise pre-lfop and landau and montecenere call. Flop is all undercards, I bet and only montecenere calls. Against just one of them I have the balls to keep pushing, when a queen hits the turn, but he calls again. The river is a jack, and I really don't fear a queen too terribly, I bet again, he calls on 78o, 2nd pair on the flop. I take down $158 and am back up to $778.

Hand #114: I have Q3s in the SB. Again I am surrounced by landau and montecenere. I flop top pair and bet the flop and turn. The river brings 4 to a straight, I check, montecenere bets and I decide to call. He shows 97, bottom pair on the flop and runner-runner'd the straight with the 9.

Soon after I see a cheap flop with T9 suited. I stay in until the turn and give it up, back down to $678 after the blinds and those two hands.

Hand #119: Free flop with A2. I hit an ace but the flop comes A77. I bet on the flop, everyone calls. I bet the turn(a king) and thenut raises me. I call but give it up ont eh turn.

Hand #120: OWOWOWOWOWOW. I raise pocket 9s. montecenere limp-reraises me.. I cap it and we are heads up. The flop comes K93, 3 clubs. I bet, he raises, I re-raise, and he calls. The turn is a blank, I bet and he calls. The river is a 4th club. I assume I'm beat but I call to see it. He shows me the 7 and 4 of clubs. If I had re-drawn to a full house I'd have been back up near. Instead I'm back to $500 as that was a $253 pot.

I win two quick hands against thenut to get back up to $589. montecenere leaves the table after that hand, and I end up leaving very soon after with $574. I can't complain about winning, but damn that flush at the end was a killer.

NET: +$74

After 11.88 hours and 1229 hands at 10/20 this week, I am showing a 2.66 BB/hr profit. If only that could/would continue indefinitely.

Like I said earlier, there is no way I have the bankroll to support this play long term(I have 175 BB as of right now for 10/20, enough for a temporary foray but not enough to sustain swings of any kind).
Old 05-12-2004, 10:46 PM   #43
Radii
Head Coach

I join a 5 man table, an empty seat to my left, followed by kp161, Zorin, tonya2376, and BASSSHELTON. These guys are all new to me. kappybw fills the spot to my left early on.

I win $9 in my opening BB with 7 high, limped to me from an EP player, we check it down, my 75o beats his 43s! I am up $9 on hand 1.

I open up pretty conservative, folding A5 and A7 in my first 5 hands.

Hand #6: I raise with 99 UTG+1. all 4 ppl behind me call. The flop comes AT7, and I give up on the hand.

Hand #9: I have AJ in the SB. the button limps, I raise pre-flop and get the BB and dealer to call. I bet on the ten high flop and take the $68 pot.

Zorin appears to be a tight/agressive player, pretty selective and I've seen him come out raising a couple of times now.

I get 5 crappy Ax hands in bad position in my first 15 hands and don't try to play any of them.

Hand #16: A3s on the button. the cutoff limps to me, I raise and get only the one caller, basshelton to my right. I flop bottom pair, QT3. Basshelton checkraises me, and I call. I decide to call him down for the information(and the chance of catching an ace). He has pocket 3s and hit a set. Good thing an ace never came. I am down to $422.

kp161 is an interesting character, he's gone 1 on 1 with zorin 3 times now, the board has gotten scary every time(3 9s on the flop once, 2 9s on the turn, and a pair + flush possible after the turn) and every time the board gets scary he goes nuts raising. He's induced two folds from zorin and once folded himself, we've yet to see what he's playing with.

we've also now seen him lose his shirt capping two pair on the river (QJ on a KQJxx board) to see AT kill him with a straight. He bets real hard when he's got something.

Hand #24: I raise early with A8s, only getting a call from the BB. I hit an ace, bet/fold, I take down $53 and am sitting at $425 now.

for those familier with pokertracker's agression factor, I can't wait to see Zorin's. I think maybe he's called 2 times in 25 hands. Bet/raise/fold with every other action. He appears to take "raise or fold, never clal" to the extreme, which makes him tough to play against.

Hand #30: I am dealt the solution to all problems, AA. I raise UTG, and both blinds call me. I bet every round, getting tonya2376 to call me all the way down in a jack-high total ragged board. tonya had pocket 7s, and I take down $158 and am back to $498 with the blinds ready to hit me.

I go through the blinds a few times, fall to $458, and leave the table. 3 tight/agressive opponents, that is just not the table to make money at. I try another table.

NET: -$42
Old 05-13-2004, 07:21 AM   #44
Radii
Head Coach

I try again, sitting down at a full table. PIMPBOY, JoeBlob, mavenjohnson, StrykeOne and Gregg69 at the table in order to my left.

How could I not want to play with PIMPBOY and gregg69?

I have exactly 1 hand in tracker for mavenjohnson. He lost $20 on it.

Hand #1: I get ATo in the BB, I check along with 3 limpers. The flop comes 982, and we check it around. The turn is an ace, I bet and only PIMPBOY calls. The river pairs the 9 on the board, I bet and he calls. I beat his A4 for the $118 pot, starting me off up a little quickly.

pimpboy played A3o to the river with an inside straight draw on hand 2(256 flop, 6 turn) winning with an ace on the river.

gregg, pimp and maven have been in all of the first 3 hands each. Maven wouldn't bet/raise with top pair while gregg69 agresively played 2nd pair inot him, catching 3 of a kind on the river. That usually gives me a lot of hints about both players(maven isn't gonig to take a lot of money off me without a well-hidden monster, while gregg might be decent).

two leave, two join. New lineup:

pimpboy, scottdvs, maven, merlin_578, gregg.

hand 4 I'm the only one that doesn't see the flop, 3 people stay in all the way. pimpboy had another weak ace.

Hand #6: I hate this hand. I have pocket 10s in the big blind. I check, and bet into the Q62 flop with pimpboy and maven in the flop with me. I bet when the board pairs twos on the turn. pimpboy raises. Many people will bluff there, and I decide to call him down. He was not bluffing, K2s UTG. I am down to $478. I didn't play this well. I should have raised pre-flop to find out who had the ability to fold, and to find out how tied pimpboy would get to a pair of 2s in the face of my obviously good hand and my agression.

BASSHELTON has joined this table. He was the weakest of the tight/agressive players at my last table.

Hand #11: Free flop heads up against maven with 93o. Flop comes K94, I bet out, maven raises and I call, folding to another overcard to my 9 on the turn. Just too many ways to be beaten to pay 2 more BBs.

Very next hand maven flopped bottom pair and just check/called it down against someone else. I think his play is pretty straightforward, and way too loose.

Hand #16: I have Q8o in the big blind. 4 people see the flop counting me, and it comes A98. We all check it around, bottom pair early isn't enough for me. With the turn though, I've got enough, a queen gives me two pair. Gregg69 bets out, I raise, everyone else folds and he calls A low card on the river, gregg check/calls me and I take down the nice $158 pot. gregg had A2, top pair worst kicker.

That puts me at $521 after the SB in the next hand.

rock1974 joins for 3 hands, wins $110, says "thanks guys" and leaves. He didn't get any of it from me.

frgtabit joins where rock just left.

Hand #27: 43 in the big blind. 5 people see the flop, K83. No one bets the flop, and we get a free turn. It's another 3. gregg bets out as the 1st to act. I call, hoping to get some callers behind me. No one calls. Gregg bets the river, which made a flush and a straight possible, I wuss out and just call, beating his Q8, 2nd pair on the flop for a $128 pot. After the blinds pass me I am at $583.

Hand #30: AKo in the cutoff. two limp to me, I raise and maven calls from the BB, and both limpers call. Flop comes QT5, all hearts... I bet when checked to me, everyone calls. The turn is a king, but, it's the 4th heart. I have no heart. I fold to a bet, and see the 8 of hearts win the pot.

Hand #33: I keep flopping mediocre hands with my crappy big blinds. 74s, 5 way action, flop is Q43. I fold though after we check it around(5 way action keeps getting checked around on the flop... should I bet betting this? no way?).. anyway, checked around and a ten comes out, a bet and I fold.

Hand #36: I raise KJo in the cutoff, and get both blinds calling me. I bet into the ragged flop(722), maven raises, I re-raise and he caps. The turn helps none and I fold to a bet. He is nice enough to show me that he was playing 26o. I am down to $488.

Hand #40: AQo in the small blind. there's a limp/raise/cold-call before me. This is going to be 4 or 5 way. Do I want to cold-call with AQo 4 or 5 way? re-raise? I don'g really like either of those options. I fold. Flop comes KQT, another K on the turn and frgtabit wins it on the turn. I think I likely saved myself some bets.

a couple of bad rivers leads to a "river rat. No skill losers" conversation, etc etc. BASSSHELTON complains even though the one time he starting shouting bullshit, he was behind all the time. Hilarious.

Hand #49: I raise AQo UTG. maven and frgtabit call. Flop is good, Q55, Ib et, maven calls. I bet the turn and river and get calls there too. Maven had 77, and had been raising so hard whenever he had a hand, I was quite sure I was best there. the pot puts me back up to $531.

Despite just typing this out, I pull a very dumb move. A7 in the SB, I limp, catch 7 as middle pair. I bet, maven raises me(Q72 flop), and I call, I decide to call him down, despite every indicatino for the last half hour that he only makes that kind of strong play on top pair or better. He of course, had top pair. Right back to $466, and I feel like an idiot.

frgtabit catches a lucky set on the river to beat someone, BASSSHELTON complains "god, thsi is so unrealistic." I have visions of Front Office Poker, with the detractors talking about how it's never this way "in real life" I ask him why he chooses to put os much money at stake in an unrealistic poker simulation, he doesn't answer.

In the mean time I blind down to $451.

Hand #58: I catch AA in the cutoff. frgtabit limps, I raise, both blinds and frgitbtitiasjlf call. J72, two clubs on the flop. frgtabit bets, I raise, he calls, no one else does. Turn is a rag, I bet he calls, river is a jack, he bets, I call and he flips over KJ to river my aces. HEy, all the talk was right! I am down to $371.

Hand #67: after seeing maven raise the last hand with J7o, I make a pretty weak cold-call of his raise this hand, I have JTo in the SB. pimpboy also calls. The flop comes K79, giving me the double bellybuster draw, an 8 or a Q gives me the straight. maven bets, we all call. On the turn, I catch a jack, and pimpboy bets and we all call. The river hits the straight, an 8, but it also completes a runner-runner flush. I lead out betting, and both call. Maven shows TT and we split pimpboys money. the win nets me about $45 and puts me back up to $377 after a long cold spell.

Hand #71: I have A5 in the BB, maven and frgtabit limp. I bet the Q52 flop, maven calls. The turn gives me a solid 2 pair with an ace. I bet and maven had check/fold clicked. I am back up to $400.

Hand #75: I raise after a limp from frgtabit with AK suited. pimpboy raises behind me, and maven and frgtabit are both in. I cap it. I hate the flop, 834 all hearts. I bet out, pimpboy raises, and I fold when maven also calls. pimpboy ends up winning with TT. I am back to $340 on that one.

Hand #94: I've limped with some trash but haven't played much... blinded down to about $240. I get 78 suited in the BB, folded to vostok, a new player to my right. He raises, I call him. The flop is great for me. Q56, two clubs. vostok bets, I raise, and he calls. The turn is the 4 of clubs, I've got the flush(and the straight, but anyway). I bet, he calls. The river is an unfortunate 4th club. I make a mistake by betting when I could have checked it down. vostok raises and shows me the ace of clubs. I get rivered in a bad way and am down to $140.

I get back to $187 hitting an ace with AJo, and we go four handed for a bit.

Not much to say, I blind out a bit and lose one more hand and end up leaving with $77. Ouch, not a good night at all.

NET: -$423

This is from last night, not this morning.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:05 AM   #45
Radii
Head Coach

I join a 4 handed table for a little play in the morning.

Mr_Zeldar, shrksfan, and trictrac to my left.

Hand #1: shrksfan raises on the button, I call with A7 as does trictrac. Flop coems 874. I bet out, shrksfan raises, trictrac folds and I call. The turn and river both bring overcards, I check/call the turn and check the river. He shows A6 and I take the pot with my sevens.

Hand #2: I picke up KK on my 2nd hand. I raise and only shrksfan calls. Flop comes jack high, J86. I bet, shrksfan raises, I re-raise and he just calls. The turn is a blank, I bet and he calls. The river is an ace. I bet, he raises, and I call, and he turns over A6 to crush my kings. I am down about $40 now.

Hand #4: A8s early, I raise and trictrac re-raises. I just call. Teh flop brings an 8, but its 2nd pair. I call trictrac down and see his pocket kings, dang.

Hand #6: AKs in the big blind. I raise and get heads up with shrksfan. Long story short here b/c this is flying by. I hit a pair of kings on the flop, bet out and shrksfan calls me down, catching runner runner club-flush with his 46s to beat me down.

Hand #9: I raise with AQs early. a late position player raises and I call. The flop is bad for me, I end up folding to a bet and raise behidn me(which ended up being AA)

By hand #20 I've played in 10 hands, raising about half of them with great starters like the above, and have only won two(I backed into a straight checking it down w/ QJo.. ace flop runner runner King/ten). I am sitting at $219, down about 14 BB in about 11 minutes. That's what happens when good cards go bad real fast.

At some point in here we go 6 handed, adding tomoyasu and faderen to the ends of hte table.

Hand #39: The cards go to crap, which gives me a nice break, though I would have loved a run of aces to get me back ahead. Here I get K9 suited on the button. Folded to me, I raise and MR_Zeldar plays back at me. I call. I flop a 9, and bet, he raises, I re-raise and he folds.

Hand #41: I have pocket kings UTG. I raise, and tomoyasu re-raises me. faderen calls behind and I cap it. The flop sucks. AJ4. I bet, tomoyasu calls and faderen folds. I bet into the turn and the river, seeing all my money disappearing before my eyes, but nope! tomoyasu has QQ. My KK takes down $223.

Hand #42: I get a free flop against Zeldar with J4, flop comes AQx diamonds, I have the jack of diamonds. I act first and bet out, zeldar folds and this little flurry gets me back up to $354.

Hand #45: This will either make me or break me. I have aces in the cutoff. I raise, and FOUR call me. Flop comes 553. faderen bets out before me, I raise and trictrac cold calls/faderen calls. I bet the 6 on the turn(checked to me), and the 9 on the river. fadeern calls me down. He had A4, crap on the flop, turned an open-ended straight draw, and the odds went my way.

45 hands, a 20 hand drop from $500 to about $180 followed by a 6 hand climb back to $512. Amazing.

Hand #54: I have ATo in the BB. faderen raises out of the SB(folded to him) and I just call. The flop comes 97x, he bets and I call. The turn is a ten, he bets, I raise and he calls. The river is an 8, putting 4 to the straight on the board. He checks, and I'm not willing to risk the check-raise if he had J7 or some crap. I check. He had A7, my ten on the turn wins a $138 pot for me and puts me at $560.

Hand #64: I win a couple of rounds of blinds back when I limip in the SB with Q2 suited, flop a queen, bet out and take a small $38 pot from zeldar and shrksfan

Hand #71: Really I should be ahead by a ton with these starting hands. I get AA again, raising it UTG, watching the entire table fold to me. Bah!

Hand #75: KJs in the cutoff. one limps to me(a new player, diflo), and I raise, I buy the button and get heads up with diflo. I flop a king, bet and diflo folds, I take down the pot and am up to $577.

At almost exactly 9am, I get a sign from the poker gods to go to work(and to quit while I'm a bit ahead, perhaps?). Party pretty much crashes and I leave with $567.

NET: +$67

I had such amazing cards, there are days where those cards are a $500 win in 75 hands. After that start, however, I am quite pleased to have pulled out a $67 gain today.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:00 AM   #46
Radii
Head Coach

test, bump? Two updates and I can read them but they don't register.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:43 AM   #47
hoopsguy
General Manager

Can read them here. Have enjoyed following your dynasty. I don't play enough limit, so this is an interesting read for me.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 05:20 PM   #48
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Whew. Took me a while, but I finally caught up reading this dynasty. Great stuff Radii!

Been a while since your last post though. Taking a break?
Old 05-20-2004, 06:00 PM   #49
Radii
Head Coach

yeah, I got my ass handed to me over a about 8 straight sessions(including the one I posted in the general board about losing a buyin in about 20 minutes), and took about 5 days off. I am switching back down in limits a ways, and am currently working on a ultimate bet bonus. Once I'm more comfortable with the site(first time I've played there) I plan on writing up whatever kind of play I settle in on. Right now it's $1/$2 6 man tables.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:58 PM   #50
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I've had a lot of swings in poker lately...

First weekend back at my regular live game, I win $47 ($25 NL cash game with usually ~6-7 people). Next weekend, I lose $46 at the same game. The next day I lose $160 in maybe 90 minutes playing $3/6 at Turning Stone. I don't really know how that happened - I didn't play poorly - I only really dumped money into two hands (QQ with rainbow undercards on the flop where a flush rivered me in the end and Q2d where I turned a flush and my 2nd-best hand lost to the nuts). It just all happened so fast - I'm not really upset with what happened; it was just not my day. That same day, I won $40 playing Roulette for nearly an hour - so clearly it wasn't just bad luck I was having. Then tonight, I go to my normal cash game, and win fucking $76. I have no idea what to think of my play right now.