Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-10-2005, 04:52 PM   #1
Fouts
College Starter

OOTP - converting reliever to starter

I have this reliever who throws 98-100mph with ratings of 100 stuff, 55 control, 64 movement. He wasn't too reliable as a reliever for his first two years, era's of 4.80 and 3.78, respectively.

So, I had a starter go down and inserted him in the rotation. He has an endurance of 4, so around the 80 pitch mark he would tire (I play out all my teams games). His first four game were;

7.0ip, 2h, 0r
5.1ip, 2h, 1r
6.2ip, 4h, 0r
7.1ip, 5h, 1r

He is 2-0 and we won 3 of his 4 starts. So it seems to be a success.

Has anyone else had continued success with converting a reliever to starter? Do you think there is a higher chance of throwing out their arm in OOTP?

Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:21 PM   #2
korme
Go Reds

10 point scale? It has been my experience pitchers with 5 END or less do not fare well at all as starters. Interesting.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
Vince
Pro Starter

I can't believe you're geting more than 5 innings out of him at 4 endurance.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

He's probably on a 5 point scale.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:57 PM   #5
Fouts
College Starter

10 point scale for endurance, but 100 for ratings. Yeah I stay with him until he gets wild. His last outing he gave up 3 runs in the first and left in the 4th inning.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:04 PM   #6
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

I got a guy 4 out of 5 endurance who won 17 for me as my #1 starter. I got another couple of good pitchers and he fell apart. He always would seem to pitch for two great innings and then just lose it. Then he got hurt. He is now the best closer in the game. I don't even mind letting him go a few innings if I am short on available arms in extra innings.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:50 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Generally unless the guy is 6 out of 10, you cant even think of starting him effectively. A guy thats 4 in duration may only be 30-39/100, im suprised he pitched so long for you. Version 6x is pretty darn hard to build duration with in ST.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:43 PM   #8
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Fouts is playing out the games, so he can get more out of this guy than the AI would. In a simmed game the AI will take him out when gets tired, which will be more often than not between 4-6 innings depending on pitch count. If you're playing out games you can sometimes get away with using a guy with lower endurance as a starter because you can let him go. He'll get pounded if he goes too long, but my experience has been that the playing out AI is much easier on starters than the simming AI.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:11 PM   #9
JW
College Prospect

I've had mixed success in doing this in all versions thru 6.5. I used a reliever with 4 out of 5 endurance in one season of my current fictional league with very good success for about half a season.

I also like to find young relievers with high ratings and high endurance and try to convert them to starters, since there seem to be so many young relievers available with high ratings, at least in my league. That also has mixed results.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote