Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-14-2004, 08:46 AM   #1
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

PING: People who live in (or know about) Duluth, Minnesota

Hi folks,

So, next Tuesday the wife & I will be driving up to Duluth from Chicago for a few days. We're going up there, kind of last-minute, for my brother's wedding. He's getting married before he's shipped off to Iraq.

Anyway....

I've not been to Duluth before, though I did live in the Twin Cities for a while. I have two questions, one a "need" and one a "want".

1. (Need) I'm in fantasy football playoffs as a high seed in 3 leagues, and it's likely I'll need to set a lineup that week. Does Duluth have any decent Internet cafes?

2. (Want) It's likely we'll have some downtime when the bro is off doing stuff. The wife & I are fond of cafes, good bars/pubs and used bookstores. Any recommendations along these lines?

Thanks in advance.

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:53 AM   #2
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Duluth isn't very large, but there seems to be two different business parts. Canal Park is down by the lake and sounds like something you would like. The other is the more chain store style area and that is by the Miller Hill Mall area. I recommend just going down to Canal Park and you should be able to find everything you want and need.

Now I only go thru there about twice a year and it is always in the summer which is a much busier time. I might be missing a bunch as well because we don't really explore the town to much.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:34 AM   #3
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

It's fucking cold.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:02 AM   #4
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
Hi folks,

So, next Tuesday the wife & I will be driving up to Duluth from Chicago for a few days. We're going up there, kind of last-minute, for my brother's wedding. He's getting married before he's shipped off to Iraq.

Anyway....

I've not been to Duluth before, though I did live in the Twin Cities for a while. I have two questions, one a "need" and one a "want".

1. (Need) I'm in fantasy football playoffs as a high seed in 3 leagues, and it's likely I'll need to set a lineup that week. Does Duluth have any decent Internet cafes?

2. (Want) It's likely we'll have some downtime when the bro is off doing stuff. The wife & I are fond of cafes, good bars/pubs and used bookstores. Any recommendations along these lines?

Thanks in advance.

w00t! Finally I can help someone with these kinds of questions.

1. I know there is an internet cafe somewhere in downtown Duluth. Now don't get scared as it's not that big. I can't remember the name of it, but it's obvious in that it's name tells you that it's an internet cafe. Browser's Cafe comes to mind. It is right on Superior Street close to Lake Avenue. Should be in the phone book as well.

2. Duluth is a beautiful city and it's not nearly as "fucking cold" as Fargo is. I just moved back home after living there for a year and a half. I didn't get out as much as I'd like to, but I can give you a few recommendations.

Cafes - Never been to the Lake Avenue Cafe, but I had a couple of friends that worked there, so I'd assume that it's a pretty cool place. Should be right on Lake Avenue in the downtown area. There's also a place called Beaner's Central though it might be a bit out of the way. More friends work at this place and it's located a ways west. It's a coffe house/cafe that serves some good food, but there isn't anything more than a board menu. You can also get beer there (mmm Newcastle) as well and music is played there just about every night. It'd be off the Interstate on the Central Avenue exit. Cool place, so I'd recommend going there if you've got the time. Say hi to either of the two girls named Steph from Jeff should you end up going there.

Bars/pubs - Not totally my bag as I usually drank in the dumpy places. There's a place called Fitzger's (on East Superior St.) which has a very nice hotel and this different, little underground section. From what I hear, there's this old-style pub that should be downstairs along with a little gift shop and an upscale restaurant called Bennett's. Place is defintely worth checking out and not too far from downtown. Otherwise, there should be plenty of places in and around Canal Park. Most locals go across the bridge to Superior, Wisconsin as the bars don't close until 2:30 over there. Get's pretty crazy over there though.

My favorite place to eat there is Pizza Luce. Maybe you've heard of it as it's based in the Twin Cities. Pizza/Mexican restaurant right on the corner of Lake Avenue and Superior.

Where are you staying?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:12 AM   #5
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Thanks for the info folks (especially Afoci & sov)!

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:23 AM   #6
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Assuming there's only one Holiday Inn in Duluth, then you're right downtown. There's a restaurant at the very top of the building that rotates sometime during the day and provides a great view of the city. Don't know if the food is any good though.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that you've got to check out Skyline Parkway if you've got the time. The best view of the city and lake can be found there. I spent many hours up there contemplating life.

I forgot to mention anything about used bookstores as I don't really know anything about the subject. I remember there being one place on Superior St. a few blocks east of Lake Ave. It looked kind of dumpy and may have closed, so that might not be much help.

Enjoy the stay!

Last edited by sovereignstar : 12-14-2004 at 11:25 AM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:56 PM   #7
Craptacular
College Starter

Don't look at Superior (the city across the border in WI, not the lake) ... it's fugly.

Last edited by Craptacular : 12-14-2004 at 06:56 PM.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote