Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-14-2004, 12:32 AM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

MNF needs to get fixed

They need to come up with a flexible system so we can have some meaningfull late season games. Tonights game was entertaining but I would much rather have seen a game like the Steelers-Jets game that had playoff implications. BTW, for those of you who don't agree, your match-up for next week is the Pats vs. The Dolphins.

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:50 AM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

true
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:50 AM   #3
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
those of us who don't agree are named FOX and CBS.

And teams in the playoff hunt who wouldn't like being told a week or two in advance they'll wind up playing on Monday and getting a short week to prepare afterwards.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:52 AM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

those of us who don't agree are named FOX and CBS.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 01:07 AM   #5
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Actually, I think in the very latest negotiations, this was discussed and agreed to.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slu...oday&type=lgns
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 01:14 AM   #6
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

So, every stadium in the league has to leave every Sunday and Monday night open just in case their team is in playoff contention??? Doesn't make much sense to me...

As far as I'm concerned, the league does a pretty good job with scheduling on MNF...it's not their fault McNair is hurt and the Chiefs have shot themselves in the foot more times than I'd care to count. Nor is it their fault that Ricky Williams decided to go on holidays and leaves the Dolphins high and dry...otherwise, next week may have been a great game.

Can't have a flexible schedule...just isn't feasible...and if you did, how would you decide which playoff conetending teams would play on MNF...coin flip...rock, paper, scissors??
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 05:29 AM   #7
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka
So, every stadium in the league has to leave every Sunday and Monday night open just in case their team is in playoff contention??? Doesn't make much sense to me...

As far as I'm concerned, the league does a pretty good job with scheduling on MNF...it's not their fault McNair is hurt and the Chiefs have shot themselves in the foot more times than I'd care to count. Nor is it their fault that Ricky Williams decided to go on holidays and leaves the Dolphins high and dry...otherwise, next week may have been a great game.

Can't have a flexible schedule...just isn't feasible...and if you did, how would you decide which playoff conetending teams would play on MNF...coin flip...rock, paper, scissors??

Well said Johnny. The fact is, is that these teams are predetermined in the offseason and accomodations are made at those specific venues and advertisers can then bid on these games. They do try to have the best games but you just can't tell what is going to happen throughout the season. Many of these games were "supposed" to be important or good games at the least, but some of them just don't pan out that way. Although a Rock, paper, scissors tournament would be great, it just isn't feasable for the league, the players, and venues and most likely a lot of other outside resources prepare for a "short notice" Monday night game. There are a ton of factors we as fans do not realize that goes into the preparation and production of one of these games, so as outsiders, its very easy to say, why doesn't the league tell Team A and Team B they are going to play each other next monday, without thinking about all of the factors including travel.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 05:37 AM   #8
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Yep, working as designed. I'm afraid there will be no patch for Monday Night Football.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:19 AM   #9
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Not to mention fans. For fans that live outside of town and have to travel to see the game (esp. with young kids)--a game that finishes at 4:00 on Sunday afternoon differs from a game that finishes at Midnight Tuesday. Also, fans who buy tickets planning to fly in to see the visiting team will be screwed if they get their plane tickets early.

I know that TV is god--but the League should at least consider the live fans before they follow through on their plans to do this.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:54 AM   #10
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I doubt the ratings get much better with a stronger matchup.

If you want to take a stab in the dark at meaningful games, just schedule divison matchups. You have a 50% chance of involving a playoff team, and a strong chance of involving a rivalry of some sort.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:55 AM   #11
spleen1015
Coordinator

I see it coming.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:15 AM   #12
Flasch186
Coordinator

i couldve sworn this is already a done deal for next season, the last half of the season. I love it, and hope the Jags are in contention adn get ALL of their games to night as I have to work on Sunday days.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:51 AM   #13
Gallifrey
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Yep, working as designed. I'm afraid there will be no patch for Monday Night Football.

What? Jim please patch that Chiefs defense! Ouch. They almost lost another game after they hit the magic number of 35.
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:10 AM   #14
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I think part of the problem is Hank Williams Jr., get rid of the old boy already! If I have to hear that damn song again I am going to scream. I already miss the first part of the game because I refuse to listen to the song, and half the time wind up watching something else.

The other problem is with them trying to do stuff other than the game. That whole "You got sacked" thing sucks. I don't care about any practicals jokes players play, I want football! The halftime show should be talking about the first half and highlights from the previous day's games. Heck, growing up, that was my favorite part of the show, and its popularity probably led to NFL Primetime on ESPN.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:10 AM   #15
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic

Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:13 AM   #16
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

From Google searching, I've determined that the NFL and Disney are awaiting the end of the season to resume negotiations. Fox and CBS have already re-upped and I think have left wording in the contracts this time to allow switching for MNF. One site mentioned "sweetening" the deal for Disney by allowing up to seven games in the second half to be switched, which would imply that there would be a decision point where MNF could choose the desirable games during the second half of the season. The question would be, "Does that decision point come each week, about two or three weeks in advance of the game date to allow venues time to prepare, or is there a point at midseason where Disney/ABC picks the games they want over the last half of the season?"

As of right now, though, Disney/ABC still haven't signed off on anything. NBC is supposed to be angling for MNF if ABC doesn't get it and the Thurs/Sun night games may not end up on ESPN, but perhaps on USA (owned by NBC) or even on NFL Network, so Tags could persuade more cable operators to carry the channel.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:19 AM   #17
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer
The other problem is with them trying to do stuff other than the game. That whole "You got sacked" thing sucks. I don't care about any practicals jokes players play, I want football! The halftime show should be talking about the first half and highlights from the previous day's games.

Yeah, and why does Al Michaels think he needs to channel the spirit of Dennis Miller all of a sudden? He's been trying to yuk it up regularly since Miller got the boot.

At least they got rid of the segment where the players got to showcase their musical talents...

Last edited by Klinglerware : 12-14-2004 at 11:20 AM.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:19 AM   #18
mightyshoe
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallifrey
What? Jim please patch that Chiefs defense! Ouch. They almost lost another game after they hit the magic number of 35.

Patch the whole league. Watching last nights game, I forgot that anyone plays pass defense anymore. Passing seemed a little too easy for everyone.
mightyshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:46 PM   #19
revrew
Team Chaplain

Something that desperately needs to happen: Al Michaels and the Boob need to have their work reviewed from last week by someone who knows football. I'm tired of these two football "geniuses" botching the rules, not seeing what is happening on the field, and commenting as if they don't have monitors in the booth with them. They should learn from their mistakes, not repeat them.

Example: Last week Michaels went on and on about how KeyShawn's TD should have been overturned. Yet it was one of the easiest and most obvious cases of a receiver catching the ball in bounds and being forced out I have ever seen. It should NOT have been overturned; the replay refs made the right call. Now...I'll allow Michaels to make the mistake the night it happens. Mistakes happen (especially when you're as blind as Michaels is). But in this week's game he went on AGAIN about how KeyShawn's TD should have been overturned. Hello?? Did you not watch your own broadcast from last week? Are there no performance reviews for these two? No wonder people keep giving Madden a job.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:31 PM   #20
robbgmaier
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew
Something that desperately needs to happen: Al Michaels and the Boob need to have their work reviewed from last week by someone who knows football. I'm tired of these two football "geniuses" botching the rules, not seeing what is happening on the field, and commenting as if they don't have monitors in the booth with them. They should learn from their mistakes, not repeat them.

Example: Last week Michaels went on and on about how KeyShawn's TD should have been overturned. Yet it was one of the easiest and most obvious cases of a receiver catching the ball in bounds and being forced out I have ever seen. It should NOT have been overturned; the replay refs made the right call. Now...I'll allow Michaels to make the mistake the night it happens. Mistakes happen (especially when you're as blind as Michaels is). But in this week's game he went on AGAIN about how KeyShawn's TD should have been overturned. Hello?? Did you not watch your own broadcast from last week? Are there no performance reviews for these two? No wonder people keep giving Madden a job.
Well, don't anyone get the impression that I'm defending Al and the other guy here, but this isn't correct. If the referee on the field signals "forced out", that decision can not be overturned on by replay challenge. However, if the referee simply signals a catch, without the accompanying "forced out" motion, then the only determining factor for replay is whether or not two-feet (or one knee or one elbow) come down in bounds. No matter how obvious a force out is, if it isn't called on the field, it can't be used to determine if the player should have been ruled in bounds on replay. That this is at least a little stupid is not lost on me. So the replay booth screwed up quite badly.

But back to slamming Al Michaels. The ensuing on-side kick, he repeatedly berates the Seahawks for not calling for a fair catch. THE BALL WAS KICKED INTO THE GROUND YOU IDIOT. Can't have a fair catch on a ball that has already bounced, even if the bounce was 1 inch from the initial impact. I'm sure I could think of more if I hadn't just taken some drowsy inducing cold medicine.

Last edited by robbgmaier : 12-14-2004 at 11:33 PM.
robbgmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 07:38 AM   #21
JimboJ
High School Varsity

I don't mind Michaels so much, but Madden HAS to go! Those two have absolutely no chemistry whatsoever. Michaels seems almost afraid to disagree with Madden, and he feels compelled to laugh at Maddens lame attempts at humor.

Madden became poplular because he was different, and had a style that no one else had. Now that everyone is out there trying to imitate him, he just seems old and tired.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 08:47 AM   #22
rlfreeze
n00b

I think that they should schedule a couple games on Monday night. Let ABC choose which game they want. Give the other game to a cable network like TBS or ESPN.
rlfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 11:39 AM   #23
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I remember Taglibue once mentioning that 2 games would be slated for monday night at the beginning of the season, with the bigger game being nationally televised and the smaller one locally televised. I like this plan because it has a better chance of showing a bigger game and fans don't get screwed over by having their game changing date.

I absolutely loathe Al Michaels and the ESPN announcers. I really hope that NBC gets the rights to air primetime games.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:29 PM   #24
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlfreeze
I think that they should schedule a couple games on Monday night. Let ABC choose which game they want. Give the other game to a cable network like TBS or ESPN.

But that won't happen, because FOX and CBS want to keep the games (and they have equal right to) that they want. Its about creating a balance between all the networks.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 05:35 PM   #25
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I remember Taglibue once mentioning that 2 games would be slated for monday night at the beginning of the season, with the bigger game being nationally televised and the smaller one locally televised. I like this plan because it has a better chance of showing a bigger game and fans don't get screwed over by having their game changing date.

Problem is that then MNF loses its 'specialness' of having only one game being showed to everyone on a network. Perhaps that doesn't matter, but it is a consideration. And perhaps CBS and FOX bring it up to sneakly prevent ABC from taking another game from there.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:42 PM   #26
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew

I'm not 100% on the push out rule, but isn't that judgement call on the field (that wasn't made on that play) that isn't reviewable? That and I'd like to see the replay where Key got pushed out considering Bierra went for the ball, wiffed, allowing Johnson to catch the ball and in the process barely bumped against him because he had such horrible positioning on the play (yes, I'm very happy we're starting Boulware now instead of Bierra). That play should have been reviewed period, had they come back and called it a touchdown and said why, fine, but that was absolute BS that it was never reviewed and I personally wouldn't have agreed with a pushout call had it been made on the field (again, if it was called, I completely missed it and don't remember seeing any indication that it had been made).
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote