Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-15-2005, 09:33 AM   #1
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Ty Law

A Chief pending a physical. Reported on sports radio.

Thank you and good day.

rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:36 AM   #2
moriarty
College Starter

That was so succinct it was refreshing. Who knew you could report on sports without adjectives like Boo-Yahh?

Last edited by moriarty : 07-15-2005 at 09:36 AM.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:37 AM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I could rifle through a sportscenter in 5 minutes and send the people on their way.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:52 AM   #4
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
That was so succinct it was refreshing. Who knew you could report on sports without adjectives like Boo-Yahh?

I agree, it was superb. I took it over to Grandma-ma's and showed it to Pooky and Ray-Ray. They both agreed that it was as cool as the other side of the pillow. Then I went shopping at the Gap.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:59 AM   #5
MikeVic
Head Coach

Not a Steeler.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:23 AM   #6
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Wow. I didn't think that would happen. He must have received little serious interest from anyone else because the Chiefs have almost no cap room and had held steady to a min salary deal. It'll be interesting to to see the bonus structure.

It will be interesting also to see what this means for Eric Warfield. With Surtain, Law and Ambrose, will the Chiefs feel the need to carry Warfield during his suspension? He would be injury insurance at this point, since right now he would likely be the nickel back without the suspension.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:39 AM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
I could rifle through a sportscenter in 5 minutes and send the people on their way.
If only you were the man in charge at Bristol.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-15-2005 at 11:39 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:41 AM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
If only you were the man in charge at Bristol.

SI

I pitched this but they insisted in changing the concept to 4 minutes and 30 seconds of Stuart Scott mugging and 30 seconds of scrolling news.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:58 AM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Would your sportscenter be brief? Yes. Would your sportscenter be credible and accurate? Ehhh... not so much.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 01:15 PM   #10
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
I pitched this but they insisted in changing the concept to 4 minutes and 30 seconds of Stuart Scott mugging and 30 seconds of scrolling news.

Set up a webcam.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 01:21 PM   #11
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Still hasn't happened.

If he's not getting good money I can see him signing a one year deal with New England. That will be his best shot to regain his old form and hit pay dirt next year. Despite the public squabbles I think Belicheck and Law can put personal matters to the side.

Last edited by jeff061 : 07-16-2005 at 01:21 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:13 PM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

agree with jeff. unless Law is a real money-hungry nutjob and doesn't care about winning, despite what he has professed in the past (that winning is awesome, NE is awesome), i see him coming back to NE for a minsal or lowsal deal until it's reported otherwise.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:28 PM   #13
Swaggs
Coordinator

Jets sound like the front runner to me.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:50 PM   #14
vtbub
College Starter

per USA Today:

In an ESPN radio interview yesterday, Ty Law hinted that a return to the Patriots is a possibility, according to the Boston Herald. Law stated that he spoke with Bill Belichick, who called him directly.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:52 PM   #15
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I would love to have him back for a year, even if the Pats are currently loaded with defensive backs.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 04:19 PM   #16
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

agreed jeff. his experience would go a long ways towards improving some of the younger guys on the team in the future. Hell, I'd love to see him swallow his sword and return to the Pats and sign a 3 year deal for medium-money and annouce he's going to retire at the end of it and take up a postion as Dbacks coach with the Pats. He was such a crucial part of the elevation of this team and the definition of it, I will/would hate to see him sign somewhere else.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:35 PM   #17
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
Hell, I'd love to see him swallow his sword

I don't think he needs to do that to come back.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:10 PM   #18
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
Hell, I'd love to see him swallow his sword...
FALL ON. Fall on. Ack.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 08:52 PM   #19
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah. i don't know what i was thinking. I think i combined "fall on his sword" and "swallow his words" or something stupid. I blame not enough sleep and up too early for work.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:15 PM   #20
Desnudo
Coordinator

I blame your latent homosexuality.

Last edited by Desnudo : 07-16-2005 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:16 PM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

me too. actually i was going to say that, but then i figured that'd give too many people too much ammo.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:10 AM   #22
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Set up a webcam.

My first hire will be the boom goes the dynamite guy.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:15 AM   #23
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Ok, let's try this again.

A Jet pending a physical. Reported on ESPN.

Thank you and good day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated: Aug. 8, 2005, 9:50 AM ET
Law's publicist says Law to join JetsESPN.com news services
Related Video:
Players and coaches involved in melee

Ty Law has agreed to a multiyear deal with the New York Jets on Sunday, his publicist Elita Lee, told the New York Times on Sunday.

Ty Law
Cornerback
New England Patriots

2004 SEASON STATISTICS
Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int
28 23 5 0 0 1

The Jets had reached an agreement in principle on most of the major components of a deal with the free-agent cornerback, sources told ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli. However, there remained some financial sticking points and tricky contract language to iron out after negotiating sessions on Thursday and Friday.

Law, who has spent the offseason rehabilitating from a left foot injury that limited him to seven games in 2004, also must pass a physical examination.

The contract is expected to be for at least three years and could average $6 million per season, sources told ESPN.com. On paper, the contract might well be longer in term, but it is generally agreed that, for practical purposes, both sides anticipate that Law will play three seasons. What will be the most interesting element in the deal is its structure because the Jets must protect themselves against injuries or the possibility that Law is not yet 100 percent.

New York has stayed in touch with Law and his agents for the past few months, and the retirement of veteran corner Donnie Abraham two weeks ago left the Jets in need of a replacement.

A healthy Law would be a high-profile addition and help compensate for the exit of Abraham, who retired to spend more time with his family and to pursue a number of business opportunities.

Law is said to have great admiration for Jets coach Herm Edwards, a superior salesman and recruiter, and the two have spoken at various times in the offseason. Law has also gotten sales pitches from Jets tailback Curtis Martin and secondary coach Corwin Brown, both of whom were onetime teammates of his in New England. He also has a 5-year-old daughter who lives in New York.

Law, 31, last year turned down a four-year, $24 million offer from New England, which released him in February for salary cap reasons. He had been adamant this offseason about not accepting a minimum-salary contract and has publicly stated he wants a deal commensurate to his status as a four-time Pro Bowl performer. Privately, though, Law has conceded to confidants that he understands he will probably not land a contract that meets all his demands. It appears the Jets will pay him a signing bonus of at least $5 million as part of his deal.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:20 AM   #24
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Nice. But sorry, Scoop, Woodward and/or Bernstein you are not
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:22 AM   #25
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I try hard.

I'm also working on a story about off track betting in the Hymalayas. It's a smaller story but I'm sure you've heard of it.