Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2003, 12:56 PM   #1
KWhit
Coordinator

Pen and Paper RPGs

You guys that have been playing NWN have got me thinking. Does anyone on here play any of the pen & paper role playing games like AD&D?

I used to play as a kid and it was a blast. Seems like it has to potential to be fun as an adult as well, but I'd like to get some first hand accounts as to your experiences as adults.

I'm not all that geeky (believe it or not) and my feeling is that most people I could hook up with to play would be uber-nerdy types that I'd not really enjoy spending time with.

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 01:01 PM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Depends. I played pretty much from age 6-27 or so. Had a great time. I still do it once or twice a year when I go back home. Can be great fun. Sure there are plenty of uber-nerdy types out there. They are to be avoided, but there is likely a group of mature, smart, interesting socially-apt people out there who just enjoy it.

I think the game is much more fun as an adult. If you are able to get away from the hack'n'slash/numbers aspect of it and focus more on characters, story, etc. it can be quite rewarding.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 01:02 PM   #3
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Re: Pen and Paper RPGs

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
You guys that have been playing NWN have got me thinking. Does anyone on here play any of the pen & paper role playing games like AD&D?

I used to play as a kid and it was a blast. Seems like it has to potential to be fun as an adult as well, but I'd like to get some first hand accounts as to your experiences as adults.

I'm not all that geeky (believe it or not) and my feeling is that most people I could hook up with to play would be uber-nerdy types that I'd not really enjoy spending time with.

You know I used to work for Dragonware hobbies? I bet you had been in there if you played when you were younger.

I played way too much when I was younger, and wish I could find a group to play with again, but I've I had no luck finding anybody.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 01:07 PM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

I played back during the predictable ages - took years working on one character, and really enjoyed it.

I recently joined a PnP campaign playing once a month. Regrettably, due to a tediously slow pace set by the DM and lots of pointless "role-playing" (quotes used disparagingly) it fell apart, just as I was getting comfortable with the new 3rd Ed rules. (Which I believe are a vast improvement, overall)

I never got into the other genres, but definitely believe that the RPG concept is a really good one.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 01:07 PM   #5
KWhit
Coordinator

Hey GD, we're practically next-door neighbors. It would be great if we could find another 2-3 "normal" guys and start a campaign.

And yes, I used to go into Dragonware all the time. Spent way too much money there actually.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:11 PM   #6
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I play PnP at least once a month with a regular group. It is mostly social, but a good time.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:13 PM   #7
KWhit
Coordinator

How did you go about finding that group Fritz?
Old 05-19-2003, 01:33 PM   #8
condors
College Starter

well i have had horrible luck "looking" for groups to join, i am a dm and when a few of us from the old gang get together we will play and it will be a blast but we are all in our mid 30's and wife and kids gets in the way of regular gaming so we play when we feel like it. works out well but i want to game some more, there is a comic book\d&d store and i have tried to join 3 groups 2 of which i felt so akward the minute i met them(kids much younger and one group "dressed" the part) the other group was ok and went for a few months but they decieded to relocate things and it would mean 4 hours on the road to play 2 hours for me its just too far.

Best thing for a good time with small group is Warhammer its more like a game of chess with dice but sure is fun espcially when my skaven defeat those silly knights of brettonia
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 01:37 PM   #9
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hmm, never much played pen and paper games, but in college I did "MUD" (multi-user dungeon) a lot. Pretty addicting, trying to advance levels. Basically a C++ program which runs on a telnet port. It served for the most part as a real time chat where you ran around killing things. Knowing the guys who ran it, we were able to program some new areas (built one based on the Running Man, before they edited it out ), monsters (>kill dolaposter) and objects.

http://www.circlemud.org/

Hmm, looks like someone DID actually archive .New Sparta, the Cheers bar, and the Blood Bowl stadium....but not the Running Man arena. Oh well.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 01:41 PM   #10
Bee
Pro Starter

cuervo,

Are you playing on Avlis with NWN? It reminds me a great deal of some of the old MUD's I used to play.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 01:49 PM   #11
cuervo72
Head Coach

Bee - no, I haven't played (any mud type game) in years, probably since '94 or '95. WAAAAYYYYY to addictive (I'd have no time for this board!)

Ha, just found another reference to New Sparta (http://www.1plus3.com/chaos/area.php3?area=23100)....cool. Of course, they list author as unknown

Last edited by cuervo72 : 05-19-2003 at 01:50 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 01:52 PM   #12
Eilim
High School Varsity

Was once a big time PnP player. I think I own every Forgotten Realms 2nd edition book put out. Was in a weekly gaming group for about 7 years, but was more of the develop a story/social type of game than most. (One of our players actually got a book published based on our adventures)

Eventually it died out as the group of us started moving further apart and starting families. At 30, I just don't have it in me to go looking around for a new gaming group.

Nowadays I work on my MUD project (that will probably never see the light of day), tinker with my NWN world and buy up any decent looking computer rpg I can find to get my fix.

-Eilim
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 01:56 PM   #13
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I was brought into it by a close friend and co-worker. He recruited the others as well. Over time we have culled players from the group.

Like many others, I played when I was a teen and then gave it up. I only went back for something to do.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:57 PM   #14
Syrinx
H.S. Freshman Team

I have played D&D off and on as an adult. The most recent gaming group consisted of my wife, two buddies of mine from college, one of their wives, and another friend. We used to play every other week (for about 2 years), but haven’t played more then three times since taking a break just before Thanksgiving. It was a very good experience, with a lot more imagination and character development then in many of the high school and college games I played earlier in my life.

I played in both high school and then college with a couple of large groups, but after school I moved to Boston for a few years, where I didn’t know anyone who played. I didn’t start back up until moving back and meeting up with some of my friends who used to play. We started back up, in part, because of the new 3rd Edition Rules. Neither my wife, nor the other wife in the group had played while they were in school, so it was new to them. The new rule set is a lot easier to teach and learn.

I also tried a brief campaign with some co-workers a year or so ago, but it was too much trouble to maintain. If I didn’t have contact with my college friends, who I was already comfortable gaming with, I don’t think it really would have worked out.
Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 02:10 PM   #15
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

My bud and I thought about going to the local geek store to find a game, but a survey of the people playing left us with the impression that they were goons. I don't know how I would find a "new" group.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:28 PM   #16
GrantDawg

Quote:
Hey GD, we're practically next-door neighbors. It would be great if we could find another 2-3 "normal" guys and start a campaign.

And yes, I used to go into Dragonware all the time. Spent way too much money there actually.

I'm in, but I can't supply any people that I can think of. I still know the former owner of Dragonware (she actually built a castle just up the road here) and a few of her friends still play some, but I wouldn't call them "normal" (I mean, she built a freakin' castle!). The most important thing would be to find a solid DM. I went and sat in on one of their games, and the guy running it was pretty bad. I have a friend who would probably do a great job, but he lives in Alpharetta.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:00 PM   #17
KWhit
Coordinator

Unfortunately, I don't know anybody who plays at all. I used to DM back in the day, but I don't even know the new rules. I think we played AD&D version 1, but I'm not sure. I'll give this some more thought and see if I can come up with anyone.

It might be fun to sit in on a game now and then to get re-aquainted with the game.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:02 PM   #18
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't know anybody who plays at all. I used to DM back in the day, but I don't even know the new rules. I think we played AD&D version 1, but I'm not sure. I'll give this some more thought and see if I can come up with anyone.

It might be fun to sit in on a game now and then to get re-aquainted with the game.

if you play, make the move to 3rd ed rules. They are much better. The best way to describe it would be going from standard measure to the metric system.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:09 PM   #19
KWhit
Coordinator

Yeah. Just from playing NWN I can tell that the system is much more robust.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:53 PM   #20
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I played PnP for a while . now its purely pc rpg .
Old 05-19-2003, 04:14 PM   #21
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I have a big stack of AD&D books that I still keep, but never do anything with them. Last time I ever tried to get together with anyone in real life to play, they were dolts that I could not stand to be around. Not counting the time I got together with some guys and came up with some great characters, and then the suicidal girlfriend of one finally got her death wish and a couple of the guys got on a downward spiral and we never got back together...good story, eh?

I kept the books, because I am still interested in it, but don't know if it would ever work out now with a kid, and crazy work schedules. Ho hum.

Along that line I am interested in war/strategy games, other RPGs like The Morrow Project, and so on. I have almost never found people to enjoy those things with...

I used to play in Muds, back in the early-to-mid 90s. They are still kinda interesting, but not enough to engage in on a regular basis. The ones that really caught my eye, that were going to have global simulations, involving militaries, economics, etc, never fully materialized.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 04:21 PM   #22
oykib
College Starter

I have to echo the problems mentioned here. As you get older it is much more difficult to find other players. I had a pretty regular group going with my brothers and cousin when I was a kid.

PnP RPGs have really declined, though. I remeber the Golden Age, right before MtG made its appearance. I think that the combo of collectible card games and the explosion of video and computer games really killed PnP. Now, most of the guys who you'd get in a group are playing Everquest or something.

Most of the companies that published the Rpgs are now defunct.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 04:56 PM   #23
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I used to play D&D and the like all the time.

A few of my friends stilll play via IRC here and there, since we've moved all over (it works fairly well with a small enough group).

In fact, if anyone is interested, I'd be more than happy trying to get a game going on IRC for the FOFC crew.

Any takers?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 05:32 PM   #24
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I might be, it is just that my schedule is most likely not convenient for anyone else.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:39 PM   #25
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I played often as a kid, but quit playing in my teens. Last year, a coworker decided to get a group together. We've played about 15 times, usually in 8 hour streaches. Since we are all married (mostly), we have to get what we can in the time "allowed". We started with 2nd Edition D&D and recently moved to 3rd Edition. Pretty good move, I think.

Recently, I bought the 5th Edition Hero rules and am trying to learn them so I can take the guys into superhero land. I'm definately looking forward to that. Who knows, maybe I can write a book from their story?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 09:22 PM   #26
RendeR
Coordinator

If there is anyone in the new enalgnad are who wants to get a game together say a couple times a month, please let me know. I've been hoping to get into a pen and paper game for a long time now, I used to play all the time growing up.

Ren
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 07:48 AM   #27
Blade
College Prospect

I used to play all the time as a kid...mainly 2nd Edition DnD. I have played off and on for the past few years, and I have tried all manner of systems: 3rd Edition DnD, Vampire, Star Wars, Palladium, and Rolemaster.

Of course, if anyone asks me what I am doing on the night when I go play a PnP, I tell them I am off to play poker...

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 08:28 AM   #28
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I still remember being in the 3rd or 4th grade back in the late '70s and someone teaching me. Soon bought that pink Basic set, and was hooked.

I've tried to get a few sessions going in the last few years, but the old gang is now pretty much scattered around, and the few who are close enough have work / family priorities that have made it impossible to start.

I haven't played an PnP D&D since 3rd edition came out - just no freaking time.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:48 AM   #29
Celeval
Pro Starter

KWhit, GrantDawg -

Depending on timing, etc., I might be interested in getting into a regular to semi-regular campaign. I'm not the DM you're looking for, though.

Kevin
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 09:33 AM   #30
condors
College Starter

coffee warlord,

i am interested what kinda of times do you normally play?
what edition? i am familar with all 3

anyway you can drop me an email at lordmalbin at hotmail

got lots of questions
Old 05-20-2003, 09:40 AM   #31
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I was more referring to a new game for the FOFC crowd. The one game I'm in at the moment I doubt anyone would be able to get into.

But, for the record, I'm a 3rd edition advocate, although we've (me and a friend) have a thing for low magic games, and have been monkeying with d20 modern to produce a workable set of rules for such a game. It actually could be pretty spiffy.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:10 AM   #32
condors
College Starter

well i am up for it
Old 05-20-2003, 10:11 AM   #33
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee Warlord
and have been monkeying with d20 modern to produce a workable set of rules for such a game. It actually could be pretty spiffy.

I just saw a set of d20 modern rules in a bookstore. Can't remember the name of the book though. Twilight 2000 turned me off to modern games (but I loved traveller and gamma world).
Old 05-20-2003, 10:38 AM   #34
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Celeval
KWhit, GrantDawg -

Depending on timing, etc., I might be interested in getting into a regular to semi-regular campaign. I'm not the DM you're looking for, though.

Kevin

That's is three, and my friend from Alpharetta said he would run. What kind of time frame are we talking (every couple weeks, once a month) and length (8 hours or a couple hours) and where (my home is a possibility, but I have a baby due in the next month or so).
Old 05-20-2003, 10:38 AM   #35
Calis
College Starter

Heh modern day stuff, very first P&P game I ever played was the old school Top Secret, man I loved that game. Then I went on to play Rifts for a good amount of time, with a dash of the White Wolf Games thrown in. My group was mostly P&P whores, we liked the idea of new games, short attention span though.

I haven't played any P&P in years, I really don't have any desire to either for some reason, but that might be more to do with the people that I would I play with if I did, I think I'd hate it.

In conclusion I'd like to add, Shadowrun owns all, by far my favorite setting.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 11:36 AM   #36
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Where is Cougar? He would figure out how to run an online RPG.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 12:18 PM   #37
Calis
College Starter

It's actually real easy to run one online in mIRC and using a dicebot, I was in a pre-release "guild" for NWN, and we played quite a bit online. It's a pretty good time.

I'd probably be interested in trying this out sometime, that's if people decided to play something other than D&D, I'm just bored all to hell with that, and most fantasy settings in general.

Sachmo- What's this Hero rules? Is it a standalone game? Who makes it? Just curious, I think a Superhero-based RPG could be a lot of fun, but I've yet to ever try one out.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 12:23 PM   #38
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Calis
It's actually real easy to run one online in mIRC and using a dicebot, I was in a pre-release "guild" for NWN, and we played quite a bit online. It's a pretty good time.

I'd probably be interested in trying this out sometime, that's if people decided to play something other than D&D, I'm just bored all to hell with that, and most fantasy settings in general.

Sachmo- What's this Hero rules? Is it a standalone game? Who makes it? Just curious, I think a Superhero-based RPG could be a lot of fun, but I've yet to ever try one out.

The main imprint of Hero System was Champions. I had a good time with that game back in the day. Running it could give you a headache, though. There was a lot of math involved. It wasn't particularly tough. But it was tedious to keep track of.

I suppose as an adult it might not be that bad.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:24 PM   #39
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
I just saw a set of d20 modern rules in a bookstore. Can't remember the name of the book though. Twilight 2000 turned me off to modern games (but I loved traveller and gamma world).

Yeah, I'm not that big of fan of modern games. This was working the d20 modern rules (a good system) into a low magic medieval setting. I really enjoy the 'realistic fantasy' genre of gaming. IE very little uber magical stuff, more harsh, cold steel kinda worlds, with mystical things being rare & unknown.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:24 PM   #40
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Dola.

Dear god NO Champions.

I despise that system/game with the fire of a thousand hells.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:28 PM   #41
condors
College Starter

palladium role playing game is very suited to this

or the eeks conan d&d campaign setting
Old 05-20-2003, 12:30 PM   #42
condors
College Starter

any here ever play rolemaster?

i wouldn't mind putting my books to use and running a campaign again
Old 05-20-2003, 12:32 PM   #43
oykib
College Starter

Actually, the best system for superheroes was probably DC Heroes from Mayfair games. A lot of people don't like it because they prefer the marvel characters or were turned off by the simplicity of the system. But it was the only one that properly mimicked comic books.

I was going to do a Dragon Ball campaign using that system with my brother and a few friends, but it never got off the ground.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:34 PM   #44
oykib
College Starter

Dola--

Rolemaster was cool. Elfquest had the same system. It was the most fun I ever had fantasy gaming.

I also thought that the system for Pendragon was cool. But the range of characters that you could use was too limited.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:43 PM   #45
Travis
Pro Rookie

Rolemaster is one of the best systems I've played, but we also used a modified initiative system that enhanced the "realism" of combat a bit more too.

Way better than 3rd edition anyways.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:45 PM   #46
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

I like rolemaster, and thought the character deveolopment was great, but the mechanics were a bit complex.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:48 PM   #47
oykib
College Starter

You know-- I think I got Rolemaster mixed up with Runemaster.

Rolemaster was actually the one that MERP was based on, wasn't it?
Old 05-20-2003, 12:55 PM   #48
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
That's is three, and my friend from Alpharetta said he would run. What kind of time frame are we talking (every couple weeks, once a month) and length (8 hours or a couple hours) and where (my home is a possibility, but I have a baby due in the next month or so).

I heart GrantDawg and his DM friend.

I would prefer to get together for a sizable chunk of time (so the travel time is worth it for all of us). I'm pretty excited about this right now, so I want to play often - once every 2 weeks, maybe. I'm sure real life will bring things back down to earth fast, but until that happens I want to get in my gaming fix.

Just to throw something out there, why don't we do a Saturday thing every 2 weeks for 5-6 hrs.

Also, my house is available. It's in Conyers. I have a bonus room that would probably work well. It might be good to rotate the venue so that the travel is spread out among us (but I really don't care too much about that as long as I don't have to drive to Alpharetta EVERY time).

I gotta re-learn the rules though (it's been forever since I played).
Old 05-20-2003, 01:00 PM   #49
KWhit
Coordinator

Dola -

I had forgotten about Top Secret. I loved that game.

I also enjoyed Star Frontiers - the system wasn't that great, but I GMed a fun campaign in which the players were space-detectives. It was great fun to try to come up with some elaborate mystery they had to solve. I think that's where my love for storytelling and writing comes from.

I played SO many of these games. DC Heroes was really good too. I also played a Marvel RPG for a while that was fun. What else? There was a 007 RPG that was fun for us, too.

I was never a meta-gamer. I was always more interested in the role-play than I was the combat or tactics. I loved to put my character in crazy situations and try to talk or think my way out of them.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:07 PM   #50
GrantDawg

Quote:
I heart GrantDawg and his DM friend.

I would prefer to get together for a sizable chunk of time (so the travel time is worth it for all of us). I'm pretty excited about this right now, so I want to play often - once every 2 weeks, maybe. I'm sure real life will bring things back down to earth fast, but until that happens I want to get in my gaming fix.

Just to throw something out there, why don't we do a Saturday thing every 2 weeks for 5-6 hrs.

Also, my house is available. It's in Conyers. I have a bonus room that would probably work well. It might be good to rotate the venue so that the travel is spread out among us (but I really don't care too much about that as long as I don't have to drive to Alpharetta EVERY time).

I gotta re-learn the rules though (it's been forever since I played).

Let me see what kind of time he has available. Most likely that is going to be fine. What do you think, Celeval? Every other Saturday?