Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2003, 02:05 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(Beisbol) Winter Meetings are hotting up nicely...

JD Drew has just been traded (along with Eli Marrero) to the Braves for Jason Marquis and Ray King.

great trade for the Hotlantans, I'd say.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 02:10 PM   #2
The_herd
College Starter

Very nice trade it appears. I think Marrero is a great pickup, with JD Drew it all depends on whether or not he can translate the immense hitting ability he has into numbers this season.

The Red Sox signed Faulke also, by the way. Sports greatest pissing contest continues.

Last edited by The_herd : 12-13-2003 at 02:11 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 02:11 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

More Winter Meetings information

Speaking of matters Steinbrenner is handling himself, an official of one team that spoke with the Yankees on Friday said the Yankees are keeping Gary Sheffield at a distance while they "move in on Vladimir Guerrero." Neither the Yankees nor Guerrero's agent, Fernando Cuza, made an appearance in New Orleans on Friday. But the official said the Yankees had become sufficiently convinced that Guerrero's interest in them was sincere that they were launching a major effort to sign him.

At the same time, they haven't told Sheffield the three-year, $39-million contract he thought he'd negotiated was officially defunct -- but only because they aren't telling Sheffield anything about anything at the moment.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:16 PM   #4
The_herd
College Starter

I really can't see Vlad playing in New York. If there is anyone in baseball that doesn't have the personality for it, its him. The guys sits alone in the dressing room and plays video games all day and really doesn't talk to any of his teammates. The Yankees and Sheff are a match made in heaven, an aging player with an ego larger than his talent would fit perfectly with an aging owner with an ego larger than New York itself.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:19 PM   #5
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if this is Steinbrenner's way of putting pressure on Sheffield.

Other Rumors:

Theo Epstein and Arn Tellern (I think that's his name), Nomar Garciaparra's agent, have sat down and officially begun long term contract negotiations. It's believed the Sox are waiting for Miguel Tejada to sign, to "set the market" for Nomar.

Keith Foulke signed a 3 year, 21 million dollar contract with the Red Sox today, with a vesting option for a fourth year.

The A's may go after Matt Mantei or Urgeth Urbina to replace Keith Foulke, and also look to maybe be a big time player in the Tejada negotiations.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:20 PM   #6
Cuckoo
College Starter

I think Cards also got Adam Wainright who is supposed to be a stud young pitcher, so that at least makes it look a little better for St. Louis.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 02:22 PM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah, but they will really really miss Drew this year I have a feeling
Old 12-13-2003, 02:26 PM   #8
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by SirFozzie
yeah, but they will really really miss Drew this year I have a feeling

For all 300 AB's a year he seems to typically provide them.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:29 PM   #9
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

From Jayson Stark, confirming the Sox plan for Nomar

The Red Sox are in discussions with Nomar Garciaparra as they attempt to work out a contract extension with their shortstop. If the Sox and Garciaparra are unable to come to a contract agreement, the Dodgers would love to trade for him. At this stage, it's believed Boston's pecking order for a shortstop begins with trying to re-sign Garciaparra long-term. If that doesn't work out, they'd probably look to sign Miguel Tejada. Trading for A-Rod is the final scenario for the Sox, but that trade is now just about comatose.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:42 PM   #10
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ouch: Not a good set of winter meetings for the A's.

Looks like they're going to lose out on Cameron as well, as Cameron is stating he wants to play for an East Coast team (which means the Mets are the favorites)
Old 12-13-2003, 03:10 PM   #11
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I would give anything to be involved in the winter meeting. I am more interested in baseball this week than I am all season long. Even in real life as well as games, the regular season is a necessary and tedious evil to get through as quickly as possible to get to the off-season.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 04:01 PM   #12
Vince
Pro Starter

A buddy of mine who did the statistical analysis stuff with me earlier this year is in NO right now for the job fair that is being held while the Winter Meetings are going on. In the airport in SF on the way there, he was sitting across the way from Sabean, Baker and Stan Conte (Giants' Trainer). Pretty cool stuff.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 08:34 PM   #13
The_herd
College Starter

Cameron has signed with the Mets. 3 year deal worth $20-21 million.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:00 PM   #14
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Cuckoo
I think Cards also got Adam Wainright who is supposed to be a stud young pitcher, so that at least makes it look a little better for St. Louis.

Adam Wainright was believed to be the best pitching prospect in the Braves system.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 03:24 AM   #15
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd
Cameron has signed with the Mets. 3 year deal worth $20-21 million.

I see the Mets are in the business of paying too much for talent again.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 03:48 AM   #16
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

since I'm too lazy to follow baseball at all anymore, can somebody tell me what San Diego is doing, if anything?
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 06:25 AM   #17
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

In the "Staredown until one party blinks" contests:

NY Yankees vs Gary Sheffield: Game, Set and Match to the Yankees, as Sheffield has accepted the Yankees last offer of $39 million over three years. Sheffield hadn't liked it due to the amount of deferred no-intrest money, but he blinked when the Yanks indicated that they'd pull the offer completely off the table. All this needs now is Sheffield to return the signed contract to the Yankees.

Tom Hicks vs John Henry (A-Rod vs Manny): Texas had apparently thought that they had the Sox where they wanted to. Instead, it's the Rangers who are now pressuring the Sox to make this deal. It's not known if the Rangers will drop the demand for some contractual relief from Martinez's contract:

yabanci:Haven't heard anything lately.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:28 AM   #18
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by yabanci
since I'm too lazy to follow baseball at all anymore, can somebody tell me what San Diego is doing, if anything?

They're waiting until the arbitration deadline, so that they can pick up what they think will be cheap non-tenders.

Personally, I think that there will be no David Ortiz level deals this winter. Every GM is gonna be playing the market. I think that if it doesn't turn into the old free agent shopping spree light, that it'll prove some level of collusion.

Last edited by oykib : 12-14-2003 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:07 PM   #19
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Bowden just said on ESPN News that the Manny-Arod deal is "taking on tremendous momentum" and could be announced very soon.

The rangers are pretty desperate to make this I think.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:39 PM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"The Detroit Tigers kept up their free-agent spending Saturday night, agreeing to a $6 million, two-year contract with outfielder Rondell White."

I know this news blurb didn't really register on anyone else's radar except Dave Dombrowski's and White's mom's but this is kindof disappointing. The Royals had been looking for an "impact" outfield bat with roughly $4M earmarked for that. Now, $4M doesn't get you Vlad or Sheffield, but it does let you shop in the middle class with overrated players like Reggie Sanders and malcontents like Juan Gonzalez and Raul Mondesi. As someone who always has the words "Fred Taylor" escape his lips at fantasy draft time, I prefer injury risk rather than overrated and malcontent. White fit in well for the time he was in KC and if he only cost $3M per year for 2 years, that's kindof disappointing.

Still, KC has had a good offseason so far, bringing back Appier, Randa, Leskanic, Anderson (what a steal!), and Grimsley while getting Santiago, Stairs, and Sullivan. So, with the bullpen and rotation set. All that's really left is to snag a backup catcher, utility midfielder, and "impact" outfielder to put in the lineup next to Sweeney and Beltran and replaced Ibanez.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 02:34 AM   #21
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Geeeeeez Louise the Orioles are having a huge couple days.

Signed Tejada today, Ivan Rodriguez has apparently signed a deal (via ESPN News) and they are being reported as the leader in the Big Bad Vlad race.

There won't be any claims about East Coast Bias in reporting baseball next year in the AL, Boston, Baltimore and New York all made significant moves. The Blue Jays didn't stand pat either. Killer division next year.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:02 AM   #22
oykib
College Starter

Tampa Bay made some killer moves as well...

Just not in the good way.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:18 AM   #23
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by SirFozzie
There won't be any claims about East Coast Bias in reporting baseball next year in the AL, Boston, Baltimore and New York all made significant moves.

Sure there will be.

The Angels have added two top arms to their rotation and are still looking to do more. The Mariners haven't lost a thing. The A's still have the best rotation in the league, and a history of continuing to succeed after losing big free agents.

Anyone who ignores the AL West because of the AL East moves shouldn't call themselves baseball writers.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 04:27 AM   #24
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The AL Central is the AFC North. Whatever team comes out of that, will only because they are in that division.

The West? Only one team improved (Anaheim). Seattle's running in place, Texas is a 55 win team without A-Rod, and Oakland took 4-5 steps back in the off season.

But team by team, no division has improved as much as the AL East.

But I'll let you continue to think that way, Chief. We all have our fantasies (say... winning a World Series since 1918?)

(Getting the shot in before any Yankee fans can do it for me)
Old 12-15-2003, 04:59 AM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Ain't arguing that the AL East hasn't improved the most. It's clear that it has.

I'm just saying if anyone just plays up the AL East and ignores the AL West, as you suggested some might, they could very likely get burned. For all that the O's and Jays are improving, I still think the A's, M's and Angels are all better than those teams (and, yes, I am including the O's as if they had Tejada, Pudge and Vlad all signed up).

M's may be running in place as you say, but that's still a regular 90-plus win team. The A's still have the Big Three and a solid farm system that has consistently proven to come up with replacements when needed. And the Angels still have the core of a World Series champion and have added two of the best arms in free agency.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:30 AM   #26
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Mariners are a year older, and they lost Cameron (IIRC), and Edgar's just about done.

Oakland is losing out on every free agent they go after. Their phenom looks to have busted out in the 2nd half of the year, and their starting pitchers have a couple question marks.

Anaheim looks to be the class of the division.

I just see the Central and West sending just the Div Champ, with the East again sending two, out of the Orioles/Red Sox/Yankees, probably NYY and BOS as Orioles also need help at pitching.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:42 AM   #27
SackAttack
Head Coach

Don't count out the Jays yet, Foz.

I think they'll be more likely to finish 2nd than the Yanks will.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 05:48 AM   #28
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh it's entirely possible, even probable, that it will be two out of the AL East. It's kinda hard to ignore the talent Boston and New York has. I think my main contention is how much Baltimore and Toronto will also contend. I think they will be solid teams, but I don't think they are there quite yet.

I will also give this advice regarding the A's and M's, as a bitter AL West fan. Every time you think these guys are done, there they are again. The M's lose the Big Unit, Griffey and then A-Rod--and after all these guys are gone, they have the best season the AL has ever seen. The A's lose Giambi--and win two straight division titles.

You're right about those question marks, but until they actually fall back to the pack, I am going on the assumption those teams will be just fine, especially since the core of their talent (pitching) remains largely untouched.

I think with a little help from the injury Gods and a return to form by our pitchers, the Angels will be right there for the division championship. But Seattle and Oakland have proven again and again to be much better than the obstacles constantly set before them. Once again, I definitely recommend you don't overlook either of those teams when looking at the AL playoff picture--even the wildcard.

CR

Old 12-15-2003, 07:07 AM   #29
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by SackAttack
Don't count out the Jays yet, Foz.

I think they'll be more likely to finish 2nd than the Yanks will.

I'm really impressed by the Jays offseason so far. Unfortunately, they're just in the wrong place. If they get any sort of injuries, they're cooked. $120M+ buys a lot of depth and that's the big advantage Boston and New York have over them. The Orioles are looking to make a big name splash but unless Tejada, Vlad, and Pudge can pitch, too, this team is following the Texas route: all hitting with no money for pitching.

SI

Old 12-15-2003, 07:21 AM   #30
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

If the Blue Jays were in the central, I'd say they'd be favorites. The Orioles could have enough hitting to make a difference. But they don't have a complete package like the Yanks and Sox do.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:34 AM   #31
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
$120M+ buys a lot of depth and that's the big advantage Boston and New York have

Well, except in the place where depth would be most helpful, starting pitching, Boston and NY are not at all deep. NY is going to lose 3 starters. They have replaced them with two, but not necesarily improved their rotation. And, who is going to make the 25 starts Kevin Brown misses? Boston has somehow always had only 2 major league caliber pitchers at a time. Now they have a third, but that's hardly depth.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:44 AM   #32
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It's amazing how quickly things rise and fall. At one point, the ARod deal was all but dead. Then, Tejada signed for 6 years, $72M, and suddenly, the Sox can't bear paying Nomar that much, so this deal might get done. Last I read, the Rangers are willing to accept a pitcher instead of cash along with Manny, so Kim or Williamson may be shipped with Manny, then the Sox would deal Nomar to the Dodgers for Odalis Perez.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:10 AM   #33
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
Well, except in the place where depth would be most helpful, starting pitching, Boston and NY are not at all deep. NY is going to lose 3 starters. They have replaced them with two, but not necesarily improved their rotation. And, who is going to make the 25 starts Kevin Brown misses? Boston has somehow always had only 2 major league caliber pitchers at a time. Now they have a third, but that's hardly depth.

Let's see:

Pedro
Schilling
Lowe
Wakefield

That's four major leaguers at a time, with the fifth being any one of five players. That's one of, if not THE best.. first four in the league.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 09:14 AM   #34
MrBug708
Head Coach

Lowe and Wakefield are just where they should be in that rotation, average 3/4 starters
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 09:16 AM   #35
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBug708
Lowe and Wakefield are just where they should be in that rotation, average 3/4 starters

Lowe is more than that...he is a very solid #2 on most teams...
Old 12-15-2003, 10:55 AM   #36
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari

I love the lack of perspective from some teams and their fans. Go ask Arizona, San Diego, Colorado, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, the other New York team, Montreal, Texas, Detroit, Cleveland, Kansas City, Minnesota, the White Sox, or Tampa Bay if they would like to have those awful problems the Yankees or Red Sox have. I don't think you're going to find much sympathy for trotting out Lowe every third day when these teams get to send out Brad Radke, Brandon Webb, and Darrell May every second day much less Nate Cornejo, Colby Lewis, and Jason Davis.

For the longest time, John Smoltz was the #3 starter in Atlanta behind Maddux and Glavine. Hell, their #4 was usually someone who won 15 games, be it Steve Avery, Denny Neagle, or a couple of others. Doesn't mean that they're a #3 or #4 to the rest of the league.

The short and long of it is that the Yankees and Red Sox can go out and add Brown, Vazquez, and Schilling and 2nd and 3rd pitchers while practically every other team in the league would have them as their ace.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-15-2003 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:13 PM   #37
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm glad to see people are noticing the Jays. I think their offense is good enough to beat any team.. their pitching was always the problem. If some of the guys they brought in this year do well (Lightenberg, Lilly, Chen, Batista, Hentgen), they can contend for at least a wild card. I wonder if Kerry will be the closer, since they need one badly...

Looks like I'll still be watching baseball this year.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 02:44 PM   #38
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
All-Star outfielder Carl Everett agreed Monday to a contract with the Montreal Expos that guarantees him $7.5 million over the next two seasons, The Associated Press reports

Well, this comes out of nowhere.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:45 PM   #39
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

I think that's where Carl comes from also...
Old 12-15-2003, 02:50 PM   #40
Ksyrup

Quote:

Not really. TB was his only serious interest, and they signed Jose Cruz, Jr. This amkes a lot of sense for Montreal and is a good pick up. I wish Detroit would have made that offer to him.

I can't understand why Philly signed Roberto Hernandez. Isn't he Mike Williams and Jose Mesa rolled into one?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-15-2003, 02:51 PM   #41
rkmsuf
Head Coach

With the Foulke signing A-Rod is coming to Boston...take that downtown and print it...
Old 12-15-2003, 03:01 PM   #42
Ksyrup

Sounds like it, if the rumors that Texas has dropped its insistence on Boston adding $25M to the deal are true, and that they'll take a pitcher instead.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:03 PM   #43
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by rkmsuf
With the Foulke signing A-Rod is coming to Boston...take that downtown and print it...

"Fuck those fuckin' fans who come out here and say they're Cub fans that are supposed to be behind you rippin' every fuckin' thing you do. I'll tell you one fuckin' thing, I hope we get fuckin' hotter than shit, just to stuff it up them 3,000 fuckin' people that show up every fuckin' day, because if they're the real Chicago fuckin' fans, they can kiss my fuckin' ass right downtown and PRINT IT."
Old 12-15-2003, 08:33 PM   #44
Craptacular
College Starter

I can't wait to see the Brewers' big FA signing this year!! Let's hope they continue the fine tradition set by such stars as Jeffrey Hammonds, Sean Berry, Matt Stairs, Jose Hernandez, Bob Hamelin, and Matt Nokes.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:35 PM   #45
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by rkmsuf
I think that's where Carl comes from also...

No, Carl comes from the place with the padded rooms and the men with the white coats.

I'm kindof ticked at the Royals now. Not that they haven't had a good offseason, but supposedly they have $4M earmarked for an outfielder and both Cruz Jr and White signed for less than that. And I'd prefer either of those to a Carl Everett, Juan Gonzalez, or Raul Mondesi. They're more like Reggie Sanders (ie overrated) than a problem.

SI

Old 12-15-2003, 08:46 PM   #46
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
I'm really impressed by the Jays offseason so far. Unfortunately, they're just in the wrong place. If they get any sort of injuries, they're cooked. $120M+ buys a lot of depth and that's the big advantage Boston and New York have over them. The Orioles are looking to make a big name splash but unless Tejada, Vlad, and Pudge can pitch, too, this team is following the Texas route: all hitting with no money for pitching.

SI

re: Baltimore: agreed.

as far as Toronto goes, depth is nice, but having a team full of All-Stars is never a guarantee. I think Toronto has a nice balance between pitching and hitting at this point, and more importantly, like Florida a year ago, they're young and hungry. The Yanks may well finish 2nd, but I also consider Toronto my dark horse favorite in that division. I honestly think it's gonna be Boston-Toronto-New York-Baltimore for the top four, and I also think that it's going to be very, very close between 2nd and 4th in that division.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 09:40 PM   #47
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by SackAttack
re: Baltimore: agreed.

as far as Toronto goes, depth is nice, but having a team full of All-Stars is never a guarantee. I think Toronto has a nice balance between pitching and hitting at this point, and more importantly, like Florida a year ago, they're young and hungry. The Yanks may well finish 2nd, but I also consider Toronto my dark horse favorite in that division. I honestly think it's gonna be Boston-Toronto-New York-Baltimore for the top four, and I also think that it's going to be very, very close between 2nd and 4th in that division.

Sure, there are no guarantees in baseball, but I think it really tips the tables in your favor to have a team full of All-Stars, tho. Play 2002 and 2003 over again 100 times and the Marlins and Angels do not win the majority of times because they just aren't as talented as some of the other teams out there. It's just cool that we saw them actually do it.

Toronto's a nice sexy pick like when you choose a #6 seed to win their regional in the NCAA tournament because it looks like the matchups fall just right. But there's a reason they're a 6 seed and they're even more likely to be home after the first weekend. I still gotta say the Red Sox are the favorite unless the Yankees run out and sign a couple of others or the Red Sox do something monumentally stupid (oh, so Texas will trade A-Rod if we include Pedro. Great, where do we sign!). Still, key injuries, particularly on the starting rotation (Pedro, Brown- I'm looking your direction) have the potential to decimate any team and if that happens, who knows. I'm almost willing to say the wild card *won't* come out of this division because Oakland and Seattle are still looming out west and I'd rather have an unbalanced schedule against Anaheim and Texas instead of those four teams.

SI

Old 12-16-2003, 07:48 AM   #48
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
I can't wait to see the Brewers' big FA signing this year!! Let's hope they continue the fine tradition set by such stars as Jeffrey Hammonds, Sean Berry, Matt Stairs, Jose Hernandez, Bob Hamelin, and Matt Nokes.

Isn't Bud Selig's hair up for arbitration?
Old 12-16-2003, 07:55 AM   #49
Ksyrup

The latest from rotoworld:

Nomar Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellem, flew back to California yesterday after a meeting with the Red Sox convinced him that the team had chosen to consummate a deal for Alex Rodriguez.

It's expected that Nomar will go to the Dodgers if (or when) the A-Rod deal gets done. According to the Boston Globe, the Red Sox probably won't get Odalis Perez in the trade. Instead, they'll acquire top pitching prospect Greg Miller and perhaps another young arm or two. Miller may then get sent to the Rangers in the A-Rod deal. Also according to the Globe, the Sox already have a deal lined up for a quality left fielder to replace Manny Ramirez. It's unclear who the player is, but Richard Hidalgo, Magglio Ordonez and Geoff Jenkins are among the possibilities. Also mentioned were Adam Dunn and Austin Kearns, either of whom might be able to be had by a team willing to take Danny Graves' contract.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-16-2003 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:02 AM   #50
Ksyrup

Here's an interesting rumor I hadn't heard until now:

According to the Seattle Times, the Mariners are close to acquiring Omar Vizquel from Cleveland, probably for Carlos Guillen.

The Indians would save $4.5 million in the deal and might also get a prospect or two. Vizquel could turn down the trade, but it's believed he's willing to go back to the town where he started his career.