Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-12-2003, 07:42 PM   #1
RedKingGold
College Starter

Major Applewhite

While reading through the Vick/Brees olden debate posted on the First Round pick thread,...I remembered Major Applewhite because I had seriously considered him to be a possible sleeper of the draft two years ago. I did not anticipate him to be an all-pro QB, but I thought he could be like a Jake Delhomme/Trent Dilfer kind of guy. I watched him almost bring Texas back in that Big 12 championship game against Colorado, and I was impressed by the poise and read/recognition ability from him. I guess his armstrength was just not enough

Did any of you guys see him, if so,....what happened to him? I believe he was drafted in the 6th-7th round,....but I forget exactly. What happened?

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 07:47 PM   #2
mckerney
Coordinator

He went undrafted, signed with the Patriots and retired shortly thereafter. He got an offer from someone (the Pats I think) to be a QB coach, but I think he declined.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 07:51 PM   #3
mckerney
Coordinator

Dola:

Looks like he's a coach for the Longhorns now.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 07:57 PM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Yeah, he probably wasn't going to make the team in New England, was offered a asst. coach position in Texas, and decided to retire
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 08:04 PM   #5
MrBug708
Head Coach

Why would you coach for a guy who screwed your career?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 08:23 PM   #6
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBug708
Why would you coach for a guy who screwed your career?

Because putting down "assistant coach at Texas" looks damn good on your resume, especially for a first job. He'll have a head coaching job withing 7-10 years at that clip.

One of the best all time names in any sport!
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 08:33 PM   #7
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I don't think there was any hostility from Applewhite toward Mack Brown at all. In fact, Brown offered the coaching position to Applewhite before his senior season, telling him that he had a job as an assistant if he didn't make it in the NFL.

Applewhite wasn't terribly athletic. His skill as a QB came from his intelligence. He was smart enough to realize that he has a much better future as a coach than as a player. To whom, I bet going into coaching was a better job than trying to catch on to a practice squad and bounce around from team to team for a a few years hoping to get a chance. If he manages his career right and keeps improving, he'll probably get a shot at a major D-IA head coaching job in his early 30s.

I think the was also smart enough to know that game in and game out, Chris Simms was a better QB. Sure, Major had moments where he came in and sparkled, but that's exactly why most backups are backups -- they can be spectacular in limited play, but in being the starter their limitations will be exposed. Think Frank Reich. The guy was the QB of the biggest point-differential comebacks in NFL and NCAA-IA history. But who will argue that Frank Reich was anything more than an outstanding backup QB?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 08:37 PM   #8
Huckleberry
College Starter

Nobody screwed Applewhite's career. I can't believe people are so dense.

Applewhite is a grad assistant at Texas and is itching to leave because he thinks Greg Davis sucks as a coach. He's right about that. On a related topic, Applewhite was vocal about playing Vince Young instead of Chance Mock because of Young's superior talent.

That's right, Major Applewhite the coach was in favor of benching the starter in favor of the younger and more talented backup.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 12:19 AM   #9
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

i can believe mr. bug is so dense

also greg davis is a douche nozzle
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 12:51 AM   #10
sooner333
College Starter

Major Applewhite=Josh Heupel with a better arm and possibly a bit slower. Heupel was not benched over the more gifted athletically Nate Hybl who transferred from Georgia. Applewhite was benched in favor of the more physically talented Chris Simms. Both are now graduate assistants at their alma maters.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 01:49 AM   #11
daedalus
Pro Rookie

This is the same route that both Billy Donovan and Steve Alford went with, isn't it? I mean, yes, Alford was a reach pick for a desperate local team but he sort of knew he wasn't going to go that far in the NBA and went to coaching early on. Both are pretty high profile coaches now. Maybe the same thing can happen with both Heupel and Applewhite?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 08:12 AM   #12
RedKingGold
College Starter

Yes,...but in the right system could Applewhite have been a contributor. What will be interesting is to see what Dorsey does in a 49er uniform. IMHO, Rattay could be traded this offseason if there is a suitor for him. Unfortunately, many teams already have a large sum of money tied into their QB's. Here is the list of teams possibly (notice,...possibly) looking for a QB replacement.

Buffalo:
Bledsoe is getting older and struggled this year, maybe they will select their guy of the future this year

Miami:
If Wannsteadt is gone, I believe they will look to draft/sign a guy to replace Fiedler. Griese is a goner

Tennessee:
Do not be surprised if they go after someone to back up McNair. He is going to be entering his 9th season, and the fact that he gets banged up every year has to get the Titans into at least looking for a serviceable backup (Billy Volek,....um,...yeah)

Cleveland:
I think they could get an extension for Couch done. But this depends on if Davis stays or goes. Davis has made a point of saying that Couch will not be his quarterback. If Couch is released, I definatly see him getting some play on the market

Pittsburgh:
Maddox will probably get an extension this year,...but the way their offense has struggled, they should look for a QB here

Oakland:
When is the last time Gannon played. Maybe I just haven't noticed because their team is pretty bad. The Raiders just need a complete overhaul, but I they will also likely keep Gannon (he got MVP for something) and draft the future (Eli Manning?)

San Diego:
Drew Brees progress or lack there of has to frighten every one in the Charger organization. I still think they will stick with their young QB

I will cover my beilief about the NFC QB's later today

As Linda Richmond says, iscuss!"
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 08:14 AM   #13
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Major Applewhite= Perfect head coach name. He should coach Army.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 09:46 AM   #14
Huckleberry
College Starter

As a Cowboys fan, I would love for San Francisco to trade Rattay and hitch their hopes to Ken Dorsey or Major Applewhite.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 10:59 AM   #15
TroyF
Coordinator

RedKing,

Lets see, in order:

San Francisco: No way in hell they trade Rattay. The rumor is Garcia will be the one gone. Dorsey should move in as the backup.

Buffalo: Will certainly draft a QB

Miami: Will probably have two new QB's. They'll sign a veteran and have Fiedler backup. They'll draft a rookie to develop.

Tennessee: May draft a QB, but they will not trade for one. They are very happy with Volek.

Cleveland: Will probably, like Miami, import two QB's. Couch is gone and will get some play in the market. How much remains to be seen.

Pittsburgh: Everyone knows they are going to draft a QB. Worst kept secret in the league.

Oakland: See Pittsburgh

San Diego: Who knows. I don't even think they know. I'd expect them to bring in another QB though. If Brees isn't the real deal (which I don't think he is), they cannot afford to sit on their hands and throw another year away waiting for him to be a good player.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 11:30 AM   #16
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

my thoughts on the QB situation of every team is in this thread:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...921&perpage=50

I think the only thing that has changed is the Giants. I wouldn't be shocked by a Fassell firing, and a QB being selected early (although O-line is a much more pressing need).
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote