Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Thumbs down Jason White wins the O'Brien Award

Fire away, IMTG.

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 11:13 AM   #2
Huckleberry
College Starter

At least this one is interesting. Jason White has Ken Dorsey disease. An extremely capable QB when it comes to sitting in a well-protected pocket for 5 seconds and hitting a wide open receiver. Throw some pressure at him and he looks like any other average quarterback.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 11:21 AM   #3
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

he sucks
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 11:27 AM   #4
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by IMetTrentGreen
he sucks

Those seven letter speak volumes. Jason White is one sorry QB and OU is a team the just throws the deep ball all day. Kansas State exposed them...
Old 12-12-2003, 11:48 AM   #5
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Yes, I agree.

I could go to my local 7-11 right now and get any cashier, plug them in at quarterback for OU, and they would have the same 40/8 touchdown to interception ratio that Jason has. Like Jason, they could also throw the deep fade and drop the ball over the receiver's shoulder without him breaking stride.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 11:54 AM   #6
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally posted by Noop
Those seven letter speak volumes. Jason White is one sorry QB and OU is a team the just throws the deep ball all day. Kansas State exposed them...

Did you watch a game OU played besides K-State?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 11:56 AM   #7
Samdari
Roster Filler

I remember a great 5 TD day he had against TAM, and they highlighted them on the highlight shows.

Never threw the ball more than 5 yards, yet the great athletes catching the ball ran 30+ yards. He did not even hit them in stride most of the time. I did not understand why the talking heads were raving. Credit for the 5 TDs which should go to White for those - 10%. Credit that does - all.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:01 PM   #8
digamma
Torchbearer

Samdari,

That was sort of the point I was hinting at. When OU's offense was clicking it was based on slant routes and quick timing patterns. Sure, they aired it out some, but the offense was not based around a vertical passing game.

I think you are selling white a bit short in that ATM game. I think he was something like 17-19 on the day. Whether his passes are between the numbers or not, he was putting the ball in places where his receivers could make catches AND make plays.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 12:10 PM   #9
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by digamma
Whether his passes are between the numbers or not, he was putting the ball in places where his receivers could make catches AND make plays.

Well, does he still get credit when he makes bad throws, but his receivers are able to catch them and make plays after because their opponents were not within 10 yards? I don't get it.

I don't really think a 7-11 clerk could step in and do that well. White just was not the best QB in college football this year, let alone the best player.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:43 PM   #10
Calis
College Starter

I would argue that most major 7-11's would actually have 5-6 cashiers that could fill in just as well if not better than White.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 12:57 PM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Calis
I would argue that most major 7-11's would actually have 5-6 cashiers that could fill in just as well if not better than White.

I think it's against the rules to have that many players on the field at once...
Old 12-12-2003, 02:33 PM   #12
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by digamma
Did you watch a game OU played besides K-State?

Yes, Texas, Oklahoma State, Alabama and of course Kansas State...
Old 12-12-2003, 05:12 PM   #13
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

they should make an award for qb's who get to stand in the pocket for as long as they want and throw to wide open recievers. past winners would include:

gino toretta
chris wienke
byron leftwich
ken dorsey

some people, especially the dolts on this board, have no concept of how stats are affected by the rest of the team. ou is a machine. many moving parts all affecting the whole. they are a bunch of good players, who are well coached, who put up such numbers because no one can match their intensity and confidence. only three teams know how to attack them, kansas state, a&m last year (there is a reason ou hired kevin sumlin, you know. same reason mark richt hired van gorden for dc) and osu. they use various methods of isloating ou's defenders. as a whole, when they get to gang up on people, they are awesome. one on one most of them are exposed. they are the best team, but don't have the best players

so he threw for 40/8. big whoop. if brent rawls wasnt such a headcase it would have been 50/5. if chris simms played there it would have been 55/3. jason white has always been a mediocre qb, and his "miraculous" turnaround can only be attributed to a better team around him. is jason white better than chris simms? of course not. but simms got awful protection, no running game, lazy coordinators and all but one wr who was worth anything

bottom line is, ksu did expose him. they got to him, he got rattled just like any other qb, and sucked. he cant throw on the run, he can't even run. if he doesnt have time to find the open guy, set his feet and throw in perfect form he's useless, as they found out against ksu

i wouldnt expect you guys to understand. i might as well be talking to children. i just like to vent here more than anything.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 05:18 PM   #14
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I don't have an opinion on Jason White one way or the other (as I find Big 12 football rather unwatchable), but the above post from IMetTrentGreen just comes off like somebody saying "Well, if you don't agree with me, you must be an idiot." Based on that inference, no matter what content is in the message, the whole thing loses all credibility because of the tone.

Am I the only one who feels that way?
Old 12-12-2003, 05:23 PM   #15
sooner333
College Starter

Jason White aired it out a lot more than I remember Heupel doing (who was really a great precision QB, he knew the game so well and had such a good idea of what the defense would run), and Nate Hybl couldn't read a defense.

If you watched the K-State game, you may remember the fade route he threw to Clayton. Danielson said it was textbook and it couldn't be done much better. I've seen White throw it on stride to Brandon Jones a few times as well. Believe me, White is a good player. There's a reason Nate Hybl couldn't lead the team to a high powered offense. Not a bash on Nate, as he's in the NFL, I just think White is superior (and that is apparent since White has basically had the starting job when healthy since Kansas game 2001).

I don't think there are many players who have the all-around game like White. He may not be the best at every part of passing, but he puts them all together. He can hit the recievers he know will have running room, hit them in stride, etc. He used to be a runner and now has developed his game to his ability. I don't know if he deserves the Heisman, but he's far from a "sorry QB" or "sucks". With Chris Rix running the offense, who knows how many years this team would have travelled, back, but I'm guessing to the Garrick McGee years.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 05:47 PM   #16
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Pumpy Tudors
Am I the only one who feels that way?

No.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 11:57 PM   #17
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

I thought it was funny the imettrentgreen call this board a bunch of dolts.

What is Ken Dorsey doing these days? (and don't say 7-11 cashier)
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 12:25 AM   #18
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by judicial clerk
I thought it was funny the imettrentgreen call this board a bunch of dolts.

What is Ken Dorsey doing these days? (and don't say 7-11 cashier)

Isn't Dorsey the 49ers 3rd string QB, or did they let him go?
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 08:19 AM   #19
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally posted by General Mike
Isn't Dorsey the 49ers 3rd string QB, or did they let him go?

Yeah, he's still there.