Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-11-2003, 11:53 PM   #1
bbor
Pro Starter

Doc for CY

Who's Doc?

Quietest 20 game winner......shhhhh....don't tell CY voters,they still like Loiza.It's a shame he will get looked over,he has had a masterful season.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- Roy Halladay was at a complete loss to explain how it felt to be a 20-game winner.

"I can't tell you yet," he said. "It's hard to tell after just happening. Maybe it's something that really sinks in in the offseason. But I enjoyed it."

Halladay became the first 20-game winner in the majors this season, pitching a five-hitter that led the Toronto Blue Jays over the Tampa Bay Devil Rays 3-1 Thursday.

Halladay (20-6) has seven complete games this year, including his past three starts. He beat the New York Yankees 8-1 on Sept. 1 and then had a 10-inning, 1-0 shutout five days later over Detroit.

"He's amazing," Blue Jays manager Carlos Tosca said. "If there's a better pitcher out there right now, we haven't seen him. He's the whole package."

Roger Clemens was the last Blue Jays' pitcher with three consecutive complete games, doing it in August 1998.

"He's as good a pitcher as there is in the league. There's no question about it," Devil Rays manager Lou Piniella said.

The 26-year-old righty's career-high streak of 23 scoreless innings ended when Tampa Bay scored an unearned run in the sixth.

"I've been real happy with the fact that we've been able to go out and continue to make good pitches and not try and do too much," Halladay said.

Halladay struck out three, walked two and needed only 93 pitches to win. He is the Toronto's first 20-game winner since David Wells went 20-8 in 2000.

Halladay went 19-7 last season. He made his major league debut in 1998 with Toronto and, after struggles left him back in Class A in 2001, has bounced back to become an ace.

"Another thing that I've been noticing lately is, as his reputation grows and grows, it seems the opposing pitcher wants to try and match him pitch for pitch," Tosca said. "I think they take their game up to another level, which makes it even more incredible the things that he does."

Two of Tampa Bay's hits were bunt singles. Another came on an infield single.

"He's above average every pitch and he knows what to do with it," Devil Rays designated hitter Al Martin said.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.

bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 12:00 AM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

Canadians shouldn't talk baseball...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 12:05 AM   #4
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOL!

Anyway, Halliday is a great pitcher. Arguably the best arm in the AL, but he doesn't win the Cy this year. Loiza has to win it, unless he totally self-destructs at the end of the year.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:06 AM   #5
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
Canadians shouldn't talk baseball...

I was talkin about Taco bell eh

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:09 AM   #6
JeeberD
General Manager

And look what the QOTM was just now...

Quote:
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT

Every thread eventually ends up with you two covered in cum and going to Taco Bell.

-CamEdwards (View All Quotes/Submit A Quote)

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 12:12 AM   #7
bbor
Pro Starter

ROTF!!

We at your place or mine this weekend?

Old 09-12-2003, 12:26 AM   #8
Travis
Pro Rookie

Each of them still has what, 2 or 3 more starts? If Esteban can keep his ERA below the 2.80 mark, he wins the Cy Young, if he goes above that and Doc can get under 3.20, then he may have a chance with having (as of now) 6 more complete games (Loaiza has 1 thus far). That, and Halladay will need to finish at least 2 wins ahead of him to have a shot.