Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-07-2003, 07:59 PM   #1
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Bush wants 87 Billion to fight terror

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...d=544&ncid=716

Link Above

WASHINGTON - President Bush (news - web sites) said Sunday night he will ask Congress for $87 billion to fight terrorism in Iraq (news - web sites) and Afghanistan (news - web sites), appealing for troops and money from other countries, even those who opposed the U.S.-led war.

Bush, in a speech from the Cabinet Room, said the United States would not intimidated into retreat by violence.

"The terrorists have cited the examples of Beirut and Somalia, claiming that if you inflict harm on Americans we will run from a challenge," Bush said. "In this they are mistaken."

Bush spoke just four days before the anniversary of the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. Seeking support for his policy, he said, "The surest way to avoid attacks on our own people is to engage the enemy where he lives and plans.

"We are fighting that enemy in Iraq and Afghanistan today, so that we do not meet him again on our own streets, in our own cities."

Bush addressed the nation from the Cabinet Room in his first major speech on Iraq since May 1 when he stood on the deck of the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln and declared an end to major combat operations. Since then, more Americans have died in Iraq than were killed during the war. The overall death count is 287 — 149 since May 1.

The violence — including four major bombing attacks in a month — have raised alarms about Bush's handling of Iraq. Republicans and Democrats alike have urged Bush to change course and seek more troops and money from other countries.

Questions also have been fueled by the administration's failure to find any of Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s alleged illegal weapons or Saddam himself.

Bush said Iraq and the Middle East are critical to winning the global war on terror. Bush's plan for Mideast plan appeared to be unraveling after Saturday's resignation of Mahmoud Abbas, the U.S.-backed Palestinian prime minister.

Bush described Iraq as the central front in the war against terror and said that "enemies of freedom are making a desperate stand there, and there they must be defeated.

"This will take time and require sacrifice," he said. "Yet we will do what is necessary, we will spend what is necessary, to achieve this essential victory in the war on terror, to promote freedom and to make our own nation more secure."

Bush said the current number of U.S. troops in Iraq — 130,000 — is sufficient but that more foreign troops are needed. He said two multinational divisions, led by Britain and Poland, are serving alongside the United States, and that American commanders have requested a third multinational division.

Some countries have asked for an explicit U.N. peacekeeping authorization, and Bush said Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) would seek a Security Council resolution to authorize deployment of new forces.

Referring to France, Germany and Russia, Bush said that "not all of our friends agreed with our decision (to) ... remove Saddam Hussein from power. Yet we cannot let past differences interfere with present duties."

Hey its only what, 300 dollars a person. Who cares about education, food and housing. No one needs the essentials.

edit: correct a formating issue

Last edited by nilodor : 09-07-2003 at 08:00 PM.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 08:15 PM   #2
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Hey its only what, 300 dollars a person. Who cares about education, food and housing. No one needs the essentials.

And what is the federal govt's role in education, food and housing besides feeding the bureaucracy? Seems like everyone wants to prevent 9/11 from happening again but are unwilling to pay for it or accept the actions to reduce the threat of terrorism. That is an awful lot of money but what are the consequences of not doing it?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 08:23 PM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

"That is an awful lot of money but what are the consequences of not doing it?"

And an awful lot of money has already been spent. A hell of a lot more than the $87 billion. My question is what will this $87 billion do that all the money spent before did not do?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 08:46 PM   #4
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Think what you will about this, but this is actually one of the areas the federal government is supposed to do something about. Education is a state issue, food and housing are personal responsibility issues.

Last edited by Bonegavel : 09-07-2003 at 08:46 PM.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 08:46 PM   #5
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
"That is an awful lot of money but what are the consequences of not doing it?"

And an awful lot of money has already been spent. A hell of a lot more than the $87 billion. My question is what will this $87 billion do that all the money spent before did not do?

Why doesn't everyone state that same valid question for all of the trillions they have spent/wasted for domestic and foreign programs? With something like this (keeping a strong hand in the Middle East), it is unfortunate (and expensive) but better, imo, than giving it over to the UN and their appeasement towards terrorism, in which we would be back to where we started.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:48 PM   #6
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by BoneGavel
Think what you will about this, but this is actually one of the areas the federal government is supposed to do something about. Education is a state issue, food and housing are personal responsibility issues.

That was what I was getting at. I would ask the question to nilodor (who probably can be excused for being from Canada) and to many others: why do you automatically assume (or want) the federal govt to be responsible for those things?
Old 09-07-2003, 08:53 PM   #7
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Buccaneer
And what is the federal govt's role in education, food and housing besides feeding the bureaucracy? Seems like everyone wants to prevent 9/11 from happening again but are unwilling to pay for it or accept the actions to reduce the threat of terrorism. That is an awful lot of money but what are the consequences of not doing it?

The president ran on a "No Child Left Behind" domestic platform, so whether or not he is feeding the bureaucracy, he either needs to allocate some money to improving education or he can be considered a liar or an ineffective president.

I am disappointed that people are beginning to blur the 9/11 attackers into the former Iraqi administration. There are dozens and dozens of more sound ties to the terrorists than Saddam Hussein, so why try to frighten people into thinking that unless we pay tons of money, we are going to get attacked again unless we rebuild Iraq?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 08:54 PM   #8
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
That was what I was getting at. I would ask the question to nilodor (who probably can be excused for being from Canada) and to many others: why do you automatically assume (or want) the federal govt to be responsible for those things?

Just "watching your back", Bucc.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 09:12 PM   #9
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Swaggs, isn't there recent intelligence saying that Al-Qaeda is rebuilding in Iraq? Iraq nowadays would seem to be a logical place for increased terrorism and terrorist training, esp. if we were to pull out and have the UN "take over".

As far as the domestic platform, I am of the opinion that he should not have run any promises for increases in domestic programs (but instead to reduce the role of the feds and give more responsbilities to local and state govt). But it seems that a majority of the country as so f'n brainwashed in wanting to hear a president (or a presidential candidate) saying and promising these things. As with all noble intentions, it nearly all become so politicized and bureaucracisized (I know, that's not a word) that it renders return on costs to be so minimal (yes, military programs included). But when you got Kennedy et al screaming that much more money is needed (for everything, apparently), it truly becomes a wasteful money pit. I just wish many people would see that and be appalled at the incredible waste for very little return.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:28 PM   #10
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Your right, I totally forgot how different the social structure is in the United States compared to Canada.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 09:38 PM   #11
sabotai
General Manager

"Why doesn't everyone state that same valid question for all of the trillions they have spent/wasted for domestic and foreign programs?"

Well, I for one do. And I see no reason why they need to spend $87 billion more on this. But then again, that's because no one has shown what the $87 billion will go towards. "To fight terrorism" is not good enough. HOW is it going to fight terrorism? That's the question.

"he either needs to allocate some money to improving education or he can be considered a liar or an ineffective president."

I vote for both.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:10 PM   #12
Swaggs
Coordinator

Bucc, I have not heard that Iraq has become any more of a breeding ground or not, but it would not suprise me. The nation has been thrown into disarray, with the power outages and food supply altered. I was against the war from the start, but believe it was probably for the best of the people of Iraq in the long run, but one of the risks we now have is that for every person killed, or that every family displaced, or that every family that has now fallen on hard times--these folks are going to be searching for a cause and will be easy prey for terrorist recruiters. I am much more feaful of seeing small, random terrorist attacks in small town, USA (a al the type seen in Israel) now, than I have ever been. It is interesting (from a historical perspective) that we are trying to build a "sphere of influence" in the Middle East to combat terrorism, much as we did during the Cold War to combat Communism.

As for your second paragraph, I will accept and respect that you believe the more Republican-based model of government is a more effective way to run the country, but I obviously disagree. Mostly because I have seen the way my home state of West Virginia (and other states) has been critically damaged through "self-governing." I know half the people in the country feel that local government should govern, rather than federal, but when big business monopolize a region or a state, then the people are not governing, the dominant businesses are, and that is a toss up situation, in my opinion.

One other point that you raise, from a different perspective. I have been keeping a semi-close eye on the CA recall/election situation and amazed at how revolted the conservatives in CA are by Arnold proclaiming himself as Pro-Choice. The only way I can see that any state governor's pro-life/pro-choice preference would have any value (and it is far removed) is when the appoint judges who may, someday, become Supreme Court Justices. Interesting that the issue is such a sticking point and may become a factor in the election (should the recall pass).
Old 09-07-2003, 11:20 PM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"he either needs to allocate some money to improving education or he can be considered a liar or an ineffective president."

I vote for both.

Not that I want to get into this, but I thought the same thing my first time though reading this. Actually, a couple of lines from Sports Night came to mind:

Dan: Is this guy drunk or a moron?
Casey: Like there's no chance he could be both?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 12:04 AM   #14
sabotai
General Manager

Sports Night was an awesome show. Any situation can be boiled down to a Sports Night quote.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:06 AM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sports Night was an awesome show. Any situation can be boiled down to a Sports Night quote.

It seems too short a show for that (not even two full seasons) but I can do that with a Simpsons quote. Don't get me wrong- Sports Night is the only show I have DVDs of and I loved it (mostly- there are a couple of abysmal subplots in the second season, but I won't go there), it's just that it was so short.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-08-2003 at 12:07 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 06:05 AM   #16
Blackadar
Retired

Yup, Bush wants $87 billion to fight more wars.

To drive gas prices up, so his buddies in the oil industry can make even more profits.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:34 AM   #17
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackadar
Yup, Bush wants $87 billion to fight more wars.

To drive gas prices up, so his buddies in the oil industry can make even more profits.

That is exactly it. The man loves to watch American Soldiers die. They probably don't even die in wars, he takes them to the white house and torchures them with really expensive gas. He is a cruel man. What I love is that we invaded Iraq for cheap gas, he gets ripped for helping his buddies out, now that gas is expensive he gets ripped because his buddies are raping us. What do you want?

On a side note, I am just wondering, does Bush just get to say, give me $87 Billion or does it have to be passed by Congress? It is tough to put the blame all on one guy when he has over half of Congress agreeing to some extent with his plan.

On another side note, it is funny how quickly people forget 9-11. Not that it happened, but it can happen again. Wasn't that long ago you could see American flags hanging from nearly every house and car. They have now been replaced by football flags. Not long ago (nearly) everyone agreed we needed to stop terrorism, now we want to, but lets just wait until something happens again, because I think the first time was lucky. We basically have come to a point now, we have 2 choices, keep dumping money into schools that use it to build new schools that are excessively fancy and hire 15 principals and we can all listen to teachers complaining that they are making 30k-50k a year and get over 3 monthes off. It isn't like teachers were paid 100k 10 years ago, so stop bitching. It is like a priest bitching he can't get laid by anyone other than alter boys and ex-slut nuns. It is part of the job. The other choice we have is the change a little, try to be ahead of terrorism and stop just allowing it to happen elsewhere. It isn't happening here, but we have soldiers in Iraq right now who would probably be more than happy to see some funding go towards stopping the terrorist activities in Iraq right now.

Now reply like so. Bush is evil. The schools are underfunded. How much do we need to dump into terrorism? The republican congress blindly follows Bush.

Then after another place in the US blows up and 10000 people die, blame bush! What did he know? People will scream only 2 years ago he said he was going to stop this! What happened? Yep, I wish my high school had 1 more assistant principal whose only job appeared to be the worst sub teacher in the history of the school, but god damn he looked good a school board meetings. The man ran a mean power point.

Time to drink some more paint thinner.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:39 AM   #18
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Swaggs, you are from a state that has been led by the King of Pork, Sen. Byrd.

Plus, please don't call it a Republican model because it is more of a Libertarian model.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:47 AM   #19
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
"Why doesn't everyone state that same valid question for all of the trillions they have spent/wasted for domestic and foreign programs?"

Well, I for one do. And I see no reason why they need to spend $87 billion more on this. But then again, that's because no one has shown what the $87 billion will go towards. "To fight terrorism" is not good enough. HOW is it going to fight terrorism? That's the question.

I vote for both.

How much money should be spent on fighting terrorism in Iraq and Afghanistan?

How is it going to fight terrorism? I'm assuming that the money will be used to pay for the continuing military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. I could be wrong. We might buy 87 billion dollars worth of daisies to hand out to Al Queda members. Or maybe 86.9 billion dollars worth of daisies... then spend a million dollars on a big party in Kabul so we can engage Al Queda in "dialogue" in a festive setting.

As to the lying, ineffective man in the White House... how did he lie? And how has he been ineffective? This isn't meant as flame bait, but as a legitimate question. I constantly read comments like this, but I rarely hear explanations given, and I don't think I've ever seen anybody offer up a better plan for dealing with the economy or terrorism.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:42 AM   #20
Butter
Coordinator

So, Bucc, you're ok with $87 billion being spent (on top of the billions already spent) to rebuild Iraq and Afghanistan but you're not for it to be spent on education or housing for Americans, because that's not the federal government's responsibility?

Just checking to see if I'm right.

And Cam, the reason you have never seen anybody offer a better plan for dealing with the economy is because you must believe that tax cuts are a cure-all. Otherwise, there are plenty of better ideas for dealing with the economy out there.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:59 AM   #21
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

typical answer. "Oh, there are better ideas. Just don't ask me to name them."
Old 09-08-2003, 11:00 AM   #22
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

dola: some of the 87 billion might be spent on rebuilding Iraq and Afghanistan, but the president specifically said that the money would be used to fight terror in Iraq and Afghanistan. To me, that doesn't mean it's going to be used to rebuilt infrastructure.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:18 AM   #23
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by CamEdwards
typical answer. "Oh, there are better ideas. Just don't ask me to name them."

Well, when you're starting with one of the worst possible ideas, where else can you go but up?

And I am just avoiding the typical arguments on here by not stating the other arguments, 'cause then Bucc will come in and talk about how states need to pay for everything and then it'll just be a big mess. Besides, we already know each other's position, so let's just assume the arguments have been made and heard.

Last edited by Butter : 09-08-2003 at 11:22 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 11:22 AM   #24
Dutch
"Dutch"

Fighting terrorism half a world away is expensive.

But here's the deal, we are either pro-active or reactive. You choose.

In a reactive world, things are cheap. We do nothing. We wait for a terrorist to shoot a shoulder fired rocket at a civilian airliner in Chicago. Then, instead of being proactive, we react, we spend 25 billion dollars on anti-air defenses on all civlian planes. With additional 2 or 3 billion dollars a year (forever) on refitting and maintenance and new plane additions.

Perhaps next the terrorist place a dirty bomb in the New York subway. Now we spend 20 Billion dollars on high-tech Chemical Detectors in airports, train stations, bus stations, major buildings, blah, blah, blah. Then of course there is the annual spending to maintain all this high tech bullshit.

So the terrorist say, "Good, now they are spending 50 billion dollars on those threats, with 10 billion dollars a year to maintain....let's see what we can screw with next?"

I think we get the drift....

What other options are there than living like that?

How about being pro-active. Let's go hunt the killers on their turf until the problem is solved. We can do a lot of other things while we are killing terrorists in the mean time. We can work on improving the image of westerners to easterners. We can rebuild nations who used to have 15th century warlords screwing their people and causing hatred towards their own scapegoats (America).

These things happen, we don't just curl up and die. When piracy prevailed in the 17th century, did the world curl up and die? No, they organized themselves, and fought piracy thousands of miles from home. It was expensive, it was brutal, people died. But civilization prevailed in the end. Piracy was reduced to next to nothing.

I don't want to spend a dime of our nations money on fighting terrorism. But by not spending the money, the terrorists don't go away. 9/11 caused billions of dollars of damage from terrorist fears alone. If we don't go after them, it is guarenteed they will go after us.

So support our troops.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 11:34 AM   #25
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Swaggs, you are from a state that has been led by the King of Pork, Sen. Byrd.

Plus, please don't call it a Republican model because it is more of a Libertarian model.

You have made yourself very clear that you think Byrd is an ineffective senator, but he usually gets about 80% of the vote in WVa, so your options are to move to WVa and vote against him or accept that he does not represent you, your state, or your positions and get over the hate.

Bucc, long before Byrd was "the King of Pork," the fine folks from New York and elsewhere came to West Virginia, bought land cheaply from our leaders (and took it from others who did not want to sell), used it to mine coal and build railroads with cheap immigrant labor, and when things dried up, they left the state without putting any of the money back in or developing any new types of business.

That is the model I am referring to, and in my opinion that is an example of what happens when you let government go to a local level. The local governments are not powerful enough to say "NO" to the businesses that provide work in small communities. So, you allow the business to regulate themselves in pollution output or labor standards, for example, and they have the option to take advantage of the surrounding environment or people. I know I am not going to change your stance on this, but that is why I prefer the federal government having the responsibility of governing over the state and local government governing.

Last edited by Swaggs : 09-08-2003 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:34 AM   #26
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dutch
So support our troops.

So, by not supporting a giant open-ended spending increase, I'm not supporting the troops? Sure, whatever.

If we're going to have a professional military, let's have one! Let's pay these men and women what they're worth, not let them hover around and below the poverty line. What kind of message does that send? It says "you're not important".

I don't believe the terrorism problem will ever go away. In fact, I think that fighting a war provoked by UN violations (how many countries have violated UN protocol?), and supported with evidence flimsier than a napkin is shameful. But I supported the effort to remove Saddam from power, thinking that overall Iraqi's lives would be made better, not that we would be safer. I think that there are much better ways to go about restoring stability in the world than spending nearly $100 billion fighting wars that have no perceivable objective aside from "making us safe". We will never be truly safe. We're not even safe from our own citizens.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:49 AM   #27
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally posted by Butter_of_69
Well, when you're starting with one of the worst possible ideas, where else can you go but up?

And I am just avoiding the typical arguments on here by not stating the other arguments, 'cause then Bucc will come in and talk about how states need to pay for everything and then it'll just be a big mess. Besides, we already know each other's position, so let's just assume the arguments have been made and heard.

Humor me. Otherwise I might think you're just trying to come up with excuses for why you have no better idea.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:58 AM   #28
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
So, by not supporting a giant open-ended spending increase, I'm not supporting the troops? Sure, whatever.

If we're going to have a professional military, let's have one! Let's pay these men and women what they're worth, not let them hover around and below the poverty line. What kind of message does that send? It says "you're not important".

I don't believe the terrorism problem will ever go away. In fact, I think that fighting a war provoked by UN violations (how many countries have violated UN protocol?), and supported with evidence flimsier than a napkin is shameful. But I supported the effort to remove Saddam from power, thinking that overall Iraqi's lives would be made better, not that we would be safer. I think that there are much better ways to go about restoring stability in the world than spending nearly $100 billion fighting wars that have no perceivable objective aside from "making us safe". We will never be truly safe. We're not even safe from our own citizens.

Another dola:

So you're willing to support the president if he ups the pay of our military? That's going to cost a heck of a lot more than 87 billion dollars. And, of course, once we have a "professional" military, will we then be able to actually use that military without drawing your scorn? And let's not forget, the men and women of our armed services volunteered for the job, knowing full well what the pay was going to be.

Secondly, will terrorism ever go away? Probably not. Will it be worse if we don't fight it? Absolutely. Again, what's your workable alternative? It's fine to complain for the sake of complaining, but at some point you need to bring something to the table.

By the way, we're not talking about "restoring stability to parts of the world". We're talking about protecting this country from people who want to see you and your family dead. I could give a rats ass about how stable the Middle East is, except for the fact that it matters how safe my kids are going to be.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:06 PM   #29
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Humor me. Otherwise I might think you're just trying to come up with excuses for why you have no better idea.

So you seriously believe that there's no other good idea to jump-start a failing economy besides giant tax cuts?

I'll respond to you after my lunch break. I only have 5 minutes to lay out the basic points right now: How about NOT creating giant deficits? We all know the crap theory that tax cuts lead to increased tax revenue. With a tax cut this large, I would challenge anyone to find any way to offset this by tax revenue growth. It just doesn't make sense. It won't work, unless you wait 30 years for natural wage increases to make up the difference, at which point the country is bankrupt thanks to losing a trillion bucks each year. Also, better job training is needed to build a more skilled, higher-tech workforce in the current economy. The transition from a heavy-industrial to a service economy is rough, but not one that can be eased without increased educational spending. The increased deficit spending lately is also killing the value of the dollar around the world. The European economy is absolutely killing us right now, and we have no plan to work our way out of it. We have to prove to the world that we are a better place to locate business than the burgeoning EU or the cheap Asian marketplace. And there's not much worse way to do it than having a poorly-trained workforce.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:19 PM   #30
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

How will our troops fight terrorists in the middle east without funding? This isn't magic, you know!

Quote:

You mean like all other militaries in the world? I am not important, how about that! I am in the military right now. I live in an average house, I have a wife and 2 kids. We have one car and may get a second when we get back to the States. We have no debt. Who should be in my place? A guy who makes 100,000 dollars a year? The soldiers in the Turkish Army wash their clothes in mud puddles in the streets in the Eastern parts of this country. German soldiers work 24 hours on and 24 hours off (the ones I talk to anyway). Being in the military sucks...it's the purest form of socialism in America....it's not a holiday, it's not done for yourself, it's done for your country. That's not a line of bullshit, there are hundreds of thousands of people who are willing to pay the price for our countries freedoms. So don't tell me I should be paid the same as some System Administrator in New York City making 100,000 dollars a year. It doesn't work that way! The lowest common denominator always wins. You want equality, I'd say it's a lot easier to make that guy in New York City get paid pennies than to pay us both 100 grand a year. That's socialism, I don't want it. I like knowing that my service helps make sure some American is out there living the good life and maybe one day after I do my time, I might be worthy to get paid a little more.

Quote:
I don't believe the terrorism problem will ever go away.

Terrorism will never go away, I agree. But there will always be heat in Africa. When the jungle catches on fire, we shouldn't not put it out because it will still be hot after we put the big flames out! We need to reduce terrorism from a mass murdering tool and reduce it to as little as humanly possible.

Quote:
In fact, I think that fighting a war provoked by UN violations (how many countries have violated UN protocol?), and supported with evidence flimsier than a napkin is shameful.

What more evidence do we want than we put the Iraqi people under sanctions for 12 years at the agreement of every nation on this planet. If you are willing to say that the entire world is just as guilty as George W. Bush, then you may have more than a napkin to argue with, but until then....nobody should be buying that.

Quote:
But I supported the effort to remove Saddam from power, thinking that overall Iraqi's lives would be made better, not that we would be safer. I think that there are much better ways to go about restoring stability in the world than spending nearly $100 billion fighting wars that have no perceivable objective aside from "making us safe". We will never be truly safe. We're not even safe from our own citizens.

I am very glad that the people of Iraq are getting a chance to get out of their rut. There is no excuse for a country as rich as Iraq is to have 99% of their population living in poverty. So there is marked good news already!

But as for "making us safe" being impossible. Many people believed that pirates would always endanger the lives of world travelers, steal their money and their ships, reduce trading, made imported goods nearly impossible to buy due to high import prices, and weaken fair economies forever...

Sure pirates still exist, but they are stealing music on-line, not raiding cargo ships in the Atlantic.... they didn't just go away, somebody had to go out their and fight them. Just something to think about!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 02:27 PM   #31
Butter
Coordinator

You make some good points, Dutch. We disagree on others.

I have work to do this afternoon, sadly, so I'll cut short my end of the discussion.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:28 PM   #32
andy m
High School Varsity

maybe they could have a telethon.

"and now we hit the $20 billion barrier, thank you loyal citizens! that is enough money to level a small city in iran!"

just my 2 cents. only $86 billion and 98 cents to go.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:36 PM   #33
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
So you seriously believe that there's no other good idea to jump-start a failing economy besides giant tax cuts?

I'll respond to you after my lunch break. I only have 5 minutes to lay out the basic points right now: How about NOT creating giant deficits? We all know the crap theory that tax cuts lead to increased tax revenue. With a tax cut this large, I would challenge anyone to find any way to offset this by tax revenue growth. It just doesn't make sense. It won't work, unless you wait 30 years for natural wage increases to make up the difference, at which point the country is bankrupt thanks to losing a trillion bucks each year. Also, better job training is needed to build a more skilled, higher-tech workforce in the current economy. The transition from a heavy-industrial to a service economy is rough, but not one that can be eased without increased educational spending. The increased deficit spending lately is also killing the value of the dollar around the world. The European economy is absolutely killing us right now, and we have no plan to work our way out of it. We have to prove to the world that we are a better place to locate business than the burgeoning EU or the cheap Asian marketplace. And there's not much worse way to do it than having a poorly-trained workforce.

So we should establish some sort of job training program to turn the traditional manufacturing worker into a highly skilled, high-tech worker? How much would that cost?

Also, keep in mind that more and more companies are outsourcing those highly paid service jobs to places like India and Russia. As one of the authors of a Federal Reserve study said, "Why would a company pay a worker $60 an hour here when the same work can be done for $6 in India?"

Why indeed. Here's what the Federal Reserve had to say (in a nutshell). The jobs aren't coming back. If you have to blame someone, blame your boss and yourself. The CEO's used the latest recession to rethink how they do business, and we've responded by being more productive than ever. Fewer people to do the job means fewer jobs available.

And remember, we're not talking about the economy. The economic picture looks pretty rosy, and the Democrats trying to wrest control of the White House away from Dubya better start realizing the difference between the economy and the jobless rate. It's always been tied together, but the recent data suggests that's no longer the case.

So, ulitmately, your answer is to provide high tech training to workers, who will then be even more qualified when they don't get hired because companies aren't replacing workers laid off in the last recession.

And how much is this going to cost again?

The Bush tax cut did one thing for people without work that your plan doesn't. It actually gave them some cash. I'm not sure what your increased job training would give them, except a one way ticket to Mumbai and a $6 an hour coding job.

Thanks for actually giving me an answer, however.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:16 PM   #34
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks for actually giving me an answer, however.

Sure.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:37 PM   #35
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Another little problem with the need for more money in job-training is that the money is already there. Pell Grants, Student loans, and if you have been laid off JEPTA (I believe that is the right letters) grants will pay you to re-train. There is absolutely no financial reason for people not to enter job training if they desire it. The problem is, many don't want job training. They want high paying jobs to be open for them with their high-school diploma. That day is waning.

That reminds me of when I was in a job-field training school 12 years ago (I won't mention which). There were several people in that school who where in there 4th or 5th program of that sort. They were going from school to school, getting federal grant money and student loans, and as long they never graduated they could just keep going. They did not have to pay the loans off untill they completed a course, and of course they had no intention of repaying even then. I think some of that has been fixed since then, but sure, we need another federal program for people to abuse since people were not intellegent enough to use the federal programs already in place!
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 04:51 PM   #36
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Cam: I'll take the mantle and throw out a few more ideas.

1) By all accounts the problem with the economy was/is lack of consumption. Companies didn't hire people because they didn't need to make products for people who weren't buying. The tax cuts should have put more money into the hands of consumers, ie the middle class. I believe the best way to accomplish this would have been a reduction in the payroll tax. Yeah it would have led to deficits, but we obviously don't care about those anymore. The payroll tax is regressive and reducing it will lead to increased spending.

2) The deficit is a real problem. A short term deficit, even one this massive really isn't, but the best Bush has offered is that the deficit will be cut to 250 billion a year in five years. This is a program of long-term financial instability. It will catch up with us. Bush's answers have continued to be his same mix of less taxes/more spending. Something has to give.

3) The ease at which companies relocate off-shore and outsource work needs to be addressed. This won't be a magic bullet, but will at worst be a strong signal to American business. I don't know enough of the procedural tricks that could be used, but one idea would be to limit government contracts to US headquartered companies with a certain percentage of the workforce in the US. This may not be the best solution, but its at least worth giving a look.

4) I think we should work with our trading partners to increase pay standards around the globe. I don't like Dean's idiotic idea of cutting trade with all countries that don't follow our laws, but a commitment to leveling the playing field not just for American exporters, but also for American workers would be a welcome change.

5) Stop spending money on political propaganda and fundraising trips. Sure this won't make much of a dent, but it really pisses me off to see both parties use multi-color charts and banners that get charged to the taxpayer. Bush has changed some rules to charge more of his fundraising trips to the government provided he makes a policy speech as well. That's why he always has a speech each time he goes fundraising. How about the politicians in charge be the first ones to tighten the belt?

Lets start with these ideas. I think we will probably be in agreeance on a number of them.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:10 PM   #37
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

JPhillips,

Not only are we in agreement with a couple of these ideas... a couple of them are already being discussed.

I know, for instance, that there's a proposal in Congress to do exactly what your third idea suggests. While it might work for the government, obviously there's no legal way to require private companies to not outsource overseas.

As far as consumption goes, the lack of a manufacturing base has been a problem going back 20 years. I read a quote out of the Federal Reserve study that showed in 1981, 49% of the jobs in America were in the big manufacturing companies. Now it's around 20%, and those jobs aren't coming back. We're still buying stuff, but it's being made overseas or with increasing amounts of automation.

Also, payroll taxes have been reduced. Have you not noticed that in your paycheck? I've noticed about $100 a month more.

Appreciate the thoughtful response. I've got to get ready for a speech tonight, but I'll revisit this either this evening or tomorrow.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:22 PM   #38
Blackadar
Retired

I do support our troops - I want them to come home alive.

So support our troops.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:28 PM   #39
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackadar
I do support our troops - I want them to come home alive.

So support our troops.

So you support them, but the man who is fighting to give them more funding to help ensure their safety as they fight for ours doesn't. Man, this logic thing is fun once you catch on. Got anything else for me besides blah blah, they shouldn't be there, blah, blah, blah, (building goes boom) blah, why didn't Bush stop this?

You lefties are turning me more righty everyday. To think I once switch hit.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:12 PM   #40
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
So you support them, but the man who is fighting to give them more funding to help ensure their safety as they fight for ours doesn't. Man, this logic thing is fun once you catch on. Got anything else for me besides blah blah, they shouldn't be there, blah, blah, blah, (building goes boom) blah, why didn't Bush stop this?

Don't ask, don't tell.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:22 PM   #41
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Swaggs, sorry, you deserved a much better response than the hyperbolic one I gave. I only had a few minutes this morning and that was my first knee-jerk reaction. I know very well what Sen. Byrd to bring home the goods that otherwise would not have gone to WV. But like with all such re-distribution of wealth, it always come at the expense of others. I pick on Byrd because not once in his long career had he ever spoke out against govt waste. To the contrary, he has been a strong proponent of continuing waste expenditures and re-distributions.

Butter: The Constitution clearly states the role of the federal govt (like in national defense) and the role of the states (10th Amend et al). Me jumping up and down yelling is not going to change anything but if anything, I want to get people thinking along the lines of an alternative to increased federal govt spendings. I think you are smart enough to know of the many hundreds of billions of dollars that wasted through needless expenditures and bureaucracy (which includes the military as well). Why is nearly everyone accepting that and not holding them accountable for the way they are spending your money? $87b is only a drop in the bucket and simply just more of the same mentality. But Congress and most of the American public just wants to turn a blind eye towards this shameful and unconstitutional practice.

To all: I know, practically speaking, that you can't just turn off fundings. It should be gradual, including the war on terrorism. When you (or your family or your company) runs up debts, isn't one of the key solutions is to cut costs? Because of the appetite for spending and the ignorant willingness of the public, they will keep it up - forcing more companies and jobs overseas, less revenues for local and state govts (with the majority of income taxes going to Wash.) and less accountability in the abundant wastes? That is why you don't want to have a strong central govt - less accountability and control by the citizens. Why do you keep sticking your heads in the sands on wasteful federal expenditures except for the occassions when you can make a political jab?
Old 09-09-2003, 06:34 AM   #42
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci

Welcome to the dark side. If you PM me your address, I'll send out your copy of the official Vast Right Wing Conspiracy Kit.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:27 AM   #43
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Welcome to the dark side. If you PM me your address, I'll send out your copy of the official Vast Right Wing Conspiracy Kit.

Like I have said in another thread, it really helps for sports betting. Example. The Houston Texans beat the Miami Dolphins. Reason. Miami doesn't have oil. MUHAHHAHAHAHAHAA!
Old 09-09-2003, 08:52 AM   #44
Butter
Coordinator

Actually, it WAS Reagan/Bush behind the whole "Bills never winning the Super Bowl" thing. Look it up.

Better yet, don't.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:56 AM   #45
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

No, sadly, the right wing was behind the Bills. But Clinton screwed that one up for us. Damn that Clinton!!!!!
Old 09-09-2003, 09:15 AM   #46
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by JPhillips
4) I think we should work with our trading partners to increase pay standards around the globe. I don't like Dean's idiotic idea of cutting trade with all countries that don't follow our laws, but a commitment to leveling the playing field not just for American exporters, but also for American workers would be a welcome change.

I think you're on to something (and that the majority of your post was very well-reasoned), but I have a slight bone to pick.

It's always easier to be general than to be specific. It's always easier to say "we've got to do something" than it is to say exactly what you think we should do.

I'm not asking you to be an immediate expert in all things about the global economy -- so I understand the position you're in. But at the same time, this is what befalls all of us who admittedly lack the expertise to really engage in a deep policy discussion. We all can agree that [insert issue here] is a real problem, and that something needs to be done. But whenever someone steps up with an idea how to address it, it gets shot down for a variety of reasons.

In part, this is simply because if there were a really helpful and effective idea sitting out there to tackle a tough problem (like the one of globalized wage differentials and labor standards) somebody would have done it. If it were just as simple as the US "exerting some influence" (a phrase which conveniently has no associated cost or risk involved) then we'd already have done it.

I don't know enough about Dean's proposals to exert influence via our trade patterns to know whether they are indeed "idiotic." But if we're not willing to restrict trade with countries that don't meet the standards that we desire... exactly what are we going to do establish your stated goal of a "commitment to leveling the playing field?"

Again - this isn't really intended as a sucker punch at you to expose that you are not a global political expert... it's more of an observation in the generic that it's always easier for the guy who sticks to the fuzzy stuff to savage the guy who tries to be specific.

Last edited by QuikSand : 09-09-2003 at 09:16 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:30 AM   #47
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by JPhillips

missed this until I saw QS tackle it in one the above post.

I can agree with some of the other things that you listed, but #4 is just off base.

The ideal situation from the American point of view is for people around the world to be free enough from want to foster stability, but not doing so well that it challenges our economic, technological, educational, and social supremacy.

I am not suggesting that "us vs them" is zero sum, but clearly there is an advantage to being head and shoulders above other countries.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:46 AM   #48
QuikSand
lolzcat

Open the door to talking about working conditions and labor costs in other countries, and you have to follow all the dominoes in the chain, too.

The easiest thing for us to do is to complain that it's unfair every time a US manufacturer movs to Mexico, and then turn around and when we're buying our kid's new tricycle, we get the one with the hecho-en-Mexico label, because it's $15 cheaper.

If we really want those peasant laborers in Malaysia to be treated fairly and equitabley, and brought up to a worthwhile standard of living for their efforts... that's fine and very noble. But we have to be willing to pay twice as much for the stuff that comes out of their shops.

It seems like we Americans have already found our place on this debate-- we reserve the right to grouse and grumble when it hits close to home, and then keep right on with our established standard of living, which in part depends on people around the world working for panuts to make things for us.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:18 AM   #49
GrantDawg

Not that QS is a Dean supporter or anything.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:18 AM   #50
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
mmmm peanuts