Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Marvin Harrison

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3378829

Who saw that one coming? Whilst that story is somewhat brief, what few details are there seem pretty well damning.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-02-2008 at 04:07 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ouch. For everyone.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I wasn't paying attention to the NFL Draft, did Harrison get traded to the Bengals? It's the only way this makes sense to me...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Wow. I wonder what that guy said to him.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
path12
Coordinator

Old 05-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
larrymcg421
Head Coach

At this point, it seems like the best a Harrison fan could hope for is that he's just protecting someone who used his gun. That would be stupid enough, but if he's actually the shooter, then I don't see how he's playing for the Colts next year.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This kinda gives a darker, more Taxi Driver, feel to the way the camera always catches Harrison sitting on the bench stoic, silent and on his lonesome.

...furthermore, if I were some multi-millionaire athlete, and I owned a car wash, you could go there for 365 days in a row, and you would never actually find me there.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Apparently Outside the Lines covered this just now, and added these details:
- may have been a fistfight in the bar before the gunfire
- the bar had had problems with this guy before
- gun fire "exchanged" (more than one shooter?)
- the guy who was injured had done time for homicide

So it sounds like it may have been a case of a known bad guy causing the trouble. Still, if Harrison is shooting at somebody he's not going to be playing any time soon even if he does manage to avoid doing time.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Best case scenario: Harrison went to calm the chap down, at which point the gentleman pulls out a gun. Harrison acts quickly, shooting the gun from his hand and saving the damsel who was subsequently injured when the scoundrel's weapon shattered a pane of glass.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

holy shit
Old 05-02-2008, 04:47 PM   #11
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wow. Stunning. In a bad way.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Hmmmm....now it comes out that there's not one, but two seperate incidents in the past which involve Marvin choking out small children.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2025485
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C0A9659C8B63

Charming.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #13
wade moore
lolzcat

Ugh. This hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #14
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I'm suprised this hasn't turned into a thread about the Patriots yet!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #15
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Maybe he should've celebrated in the endzone when he had a chance.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:08 PM   #16
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I wonder if Roger Goodell will treat Harrison like any other player and suspend him for a significant amount of time, or give him a pass because he's been a "good citizen" in the past.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #17
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I wonder if Roger Goodell will treat Harrison like any other player and suspend him for a significant amount of time, or give him a pass because he's been a "good citizen" in the past.

I'm guessing not:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Hmmmm....now it comes out that there's not one, but two seperate incidents in the past which involve Marvin choking out small children.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2025485
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C0A9659C8B63

Charming.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #18
miami_fan
Coordinator

I guess we can retire the "when was the last time you heard of Marvin Harrison being asked to talk to police" line now, huh?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:34 PM   #19
ColtCrazy
College Starter

As a huge fan that's seen every Harrison home game since he came in the league all I can say is.....WOW. It's one of the last guys I would have expected if you told me a Colt was going to be involved in a shooting incident. This just blows me away. So much doesn't make sense or add up, but it's clear Marvin knows more than what has been said.

It's not been a good past 8 months for Harrison with injuries and now this. If he's guilty...

Okay...to be positive here, maybe this makes him a popular WR now, don't all the popular ones today have to be a little crazy?
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #20
Daimyo
College Starter

Wow. As a Colts fan this is very hard to take. Harrison always seemed like a guy who could snap someday and do some bad shit, but I'd always hoped it was just vanilla social akwardness.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #21
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

How many times do we need to say it... if you're an NFL player and you want to shoot somebody, have the class to do it before the draft so your team can replace you.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #22
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Those articles are three and five years old. It's not that its coming out now, its that for whatever reason nobody paid much attention in the past.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #23
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Wow. As a Colts fan this is very hard to take. Harrison always seemed like a guy who could snap someday and do some bad shit, but I'd always hoped it was just vanilla social akwardness.

They always compared his quite look and intensity to that of an assassin. Still, you wouldn't think he would be capable of this. This is a blow to every Colts fan today.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #24
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
They always compared his quite look and intensity to that of an assassin. Still, you wouldn't think he would be capable of this. This is a blow to every Colts fan today.

Who's "they"?
Old 05-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #25
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Who's "they"?

Sorry, a lot of the local journalists have done that in the past. I've seen in it in articles from the Indy Star before.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #26
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Okay...to be positive here, maybe this makes him a popular WR now, don't all the popular ones today have to be a little crazy?

A little crazy is doing situps for the media in the driveway of your home. Batshit insane is choking kids and shooting people outside clubs.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:52 PM   #27
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Sorry, a lot of the local journalists have done that in the past. I've seen in it in articles from the Indy Star before.

Gotcha. I was thinking Jack Tatum passed his nickname on....
Old 05-02-2008, 05:53 PM   #28
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
A little crazy is doing situps for the media in the driveway of your home. Batshit insane is choking kids and shooting people outside clubs.

Should make him even more popular, right? Nope, not a very positive spin. It'll be interesting to see what comes out of it after all the initial speculation dies down and more facts start to come out (and Marvin does some more talking to the police)
Old 05-02-2008, 05:55 PM   #29
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Gotcha. I was thinking Jack Tatum passed his nickname on....

LOL. Tatum needs to come back and give Harrison a couple of hits to try to knock some sense into him if 1/3 of what's being said is true.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #30
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
- the bar had had problems with this guy before

I can't say this often enough apparently: if you are a pro athlete making hundreds of thousands or many millions of dollars, DON'T GO TO A BAR OR A STRIP CLUB OR A NIGHT CLUB! You're just asking for trouble. At least once a month some guy is pissing his career away at one of these places.

I read the headline and was waiting for a bar to appear in the text somewhere...
Old 05-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #31
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I can't say this often enough apparently: if you are a pro athlete making hundreds of thousands or many millions of dollars, DON'T GO TO A BAR OR A STRIP CLUB OR A NIGHT CLUB! You're just asking for trouble. At least once a month some guy is pissing his career away at one of these places.

I read the headline and was waiting for a bar to appear in the text somewhere...

and even better, don't OWN one! What the hell is Marvin thinking?
Old 05-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #32
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:

For the most part, I agree with you; however, the percentage of NFL players that get in trouble in clubs is relatively small. How many players own or go to clubs and don't get into trouble?

Also, let's give him benefit of the doubt. It's not like he's convicted or anything, right? Innocent until proven guilty, right?
Old 05-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #33
molson
General Manager

The trash-talkers are actually expressing their daily frustration in a healthy way. It's definitely the quiet ones who are more prone to bursts of anger.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #34
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Also, let's give him benefit of the doubt. It's not like he's convicted or anything, right? Innocent until proven guilty, right?

That only applies to the government trying to obtain a criminal conviction. It doesn't apply to message boards or public opinion, nor should it.

Last edited by molson : 05-02-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #35
Logan
Head Coach

Plus they already said the gun used was registered to him, and in PA, that's an automatic charge.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #36
Vince
Pro Starter

That's sad. At the Superbowl a few years ago, I ran into his mother, and actually went out of my way to congratulate her on not only the success of her son, but his "good character." Sigh...I guess I should wait to pass judgement until ALL the gory details come out, but man.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 05-02-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #37
Kodos
Resident Alien

This is kind of like if Jerry Rice ran afoul of the law.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #38
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
For the most part, I agree with you; however, the percentage of NFL players that get in trouble in clubs is relatively small. How many players own or go to clubs and don't get into trouble?

My point is kind of the reverse: of NFL players and NBA players who get into trouble (curiously, I'm not sure I've seen the same for MLB players), a significant percentage of the incidents involve a night club of some sort. You can pretty much count on it coming up in a description of the incident.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:06 PM   #39
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
My point is kind of the reverse: of NFL players and NBA players who get into trouble (curiously, I'm not sure I've seen the same for MLB players), a significant percentage of the incidents involve a night club of some sort. You can pretty much count on it coming up in a description of the incident.

I see what you say but are these guys supposed to not live their lives?

A bar is a legit buisness and a sound investment. Eddie George has a bar in Columbus, you don't see him shooting people on the streets.

I think the people who get into trouble would find a way to get into trouble regardless.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:06 PM   #40
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- these guys would be in trouble even if they weren't in the NBA/NFL
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:11 PM   #41
miami_fan
Coordinator

Wow, Marvin has gone from choirboy to thug in what....5 hours?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #42
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Wow, Marvin has gone from choirboy to thug in what....5 hours?

Amazing isn't it.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #43
molson
General Manager

If the NFL satisfied that Harrison did this, he has to be done in the NFL, doesn't he? Shooting at someone is worse than being involved in dogfighting. He was maybe a foot or less away from being a murderer.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #44
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If the NFL satisfied that Harrison did this, he has to be done in the NFL, doesn't he?

For a hand wound? You're kidding, right?

Quote:
Shooting at someone is worse than being involved in dogfighting.

Depends upon who you shoot, and why.

For all I know Harrison flipped & tried to gun down some guy in cold blood & is simply a really bad shot, I'm just saying I'm not sure there's anything short of a murder conviction that is really a surefire slam dunk career ending suspension at this point.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #45
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

I'm just saying I'm not sure there's anything short of a murder conviction that is really a surefire slam dunk career ending suspension at this point.

Are there any active major pro athletes who have shot another person (that we know about?)
Old 05-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Are there any active major pro athletes who have shot another person (that we know about?)

Wanna parse the difference between shooting one and stabbing two?
Old 05-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #47
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Leonard Little killed someone driving drunk, and got, what, a 2 game suspension?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:53 PM   #48
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
For a hand wound? You're kidding, right?

Assuming he actually pulled the trigger and it wasn't self-defense, he'll be charged with attempted murder, won't he? Doesn't much matter that he "only" happened to hit the guy in the hand. I'm sure he'll be able to plead it down if he goes that route, but he's looking at some damn serious charges to begin with. We'll see where it ends.

This is completely shocking to me. I turned on ESPNews around 6pm and sat stunned for 10 minutes when I saw this report. I hope it's not true, and that at worst, he's covering for someone else who used his gun.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #49
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Leonard Little killed someone driving drunk, and got, what, a 2 game suspension?

Shooting at someone is 100,000X more dangerous than driving drunk.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Assuming he actually pulled the trigger and it wasn't self-defense, he'll be charged with attempted murder, won't he?

Or some version of reckless conduct, or improper discharge of a firearm, or reckless endangerment. I imagine it depends on what the prosecutors think they have some change of proving/winning.