Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-01-2005, 07:50 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The English cannot criticise us on Music EVER AGAIN.

This is the song and video that currently outsells the #2 song in England by a 4-1 margin.

THIS IS THE CRAZY FROG!

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:06 PM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

A ringtone easily outdistances Coldplay for #1 song. Ha!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I cannot get it out of my head. It is from the same record company that gave us Right Said Fred's "I'm too Sexy"
Old 06-01-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Apparently, the guy who created this was quoted as saying he wouldn't even buy it.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:35 PM   #5
Desnudo
Coordinator

Was an anatomically correct frog necessary?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:35 PM   #6
Ksyrup

Welcome to 1984.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-01-2005, 08:36 PM   #7
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Now I feel the need to watch Beverly Hills Cop
Old 06-01-2005, 08:38 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That is the frogs penis hanging out, isnt it?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:40 PM   #9
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Bah twice through and it still doesn't annoy me as much as Hampster Dance did.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:20 PM   #10
MikeVic
Head Coach

I don't find it BAD... it has the Bererly Hills Cop thing going for it.. like a remixed theme with some other nosies added in.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:40 PM   #11
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I'd rather be strapped down and made to listen to Ben E Lou records while the Afoci rubs sour cream all over my body than to see that video again.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:53 PM   #12
JeeberD
General Manager

God. Awful.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:13 AM   #13
Karim
College Starter

That's messed up.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:03 AM   #14
Coder
College Prospect

Unhappy

It's created by a Swede :o

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:29 AM   #15
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie

Also bear in mind that the 'single' market in the UK is largely defunct - very few people bother purchasing singles these days unless they're young kids (hence the amount of stuff which I'd be dubious about putting the label 'music' upon in our charts at times ... that being said, I'm loving the last Hilary Duff album that my daughter got ).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:32 AM   #16
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
I'd rather be Subby than to see that video again.

Fixed it for ya.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:47 AM   #17
John Galt
Pro Starter

Maybe you all missed the part where Americans made William Hung a star. Physician, heal thy self!
Old 06-02-2005, 06:53 AM   #18
Ksyrup

If Geico doesn't sell insurance in the UK yet, they should jump at the chance now.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:54 AM   #19
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
Maybe you all missed the part where Americans made William Hung a star. Physician, heal thy self!

Hung was a comedy act, pure and simple. People weren't buying that for the music, but for how poorly he performed it. Not the same.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:55 AM   #20
DeToxRox
Head Coach

It'd be really ironic if this was the #1 song in France

(apologies in advance to our French bretheren)
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:56 AM   #21
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Hung was a comedy act, pure and simple. People weren't buying that for the music, but for how poorly he performed it. Not the same.

Well this is a comedy act It was originally made to be a polyphonic ringsignal for cell-phones.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:03 AM   #22
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder
Well this is a comedy act It was originally made to be a polyphonic ringsignal for cell-phones.

Well, that's funny to us, but not to them. The song itself isn't funny. The video isn't what is selling, the song is. Obviously, people are enjoying the ringtone itself, not just the frog video attached to it.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:10 AM   #23
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Well, that's funny to us, but not to them. The song itself isn't funny. The video isn't what is selling, the song is. Obviously, people are enjoying the ringtone itself, not just the frog video attached to it.

Actually, I don't think people are liking it.. they're hating it! When the composer came to England to "promote" the single, The Sun had a guy following him wherever he went playing that song.. just to show him what a pain it is to constantly hear the song wherever you are.. he eventually left the country a bit early ;-)

Old 06-02-2005, 07:25 AM   #24
Ksyrup

So people are buying it because they hate it? I have no doubt that millions of people probably hate it, but millions of people buy Celine Dion albums every year, too.

Maybe this song is Brewmeister Smith's comeback attempt at world domination, after he was thwarted by the Mackenzie Brothers 25 years ago.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:32 AM   #25
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I could see how the video would sell the song....but not by that much.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:10 AM   #26
KWhit
Coordinator

Ding Ding.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:10 AM   #27
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bam bam.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:20 AM   #28
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:

At NY clubs, there were a lot more people dancing to "She Bangs" than laughing at it. Given the sheer volume of sales he had and the constant radio play, I just don't think you can pass it off as a "comedy act, pure and simple."

The English usually have a much greater tongue-in-cheek sensibility to their pop (i.e. Robbie Williams) so this isn't terribly surprising. I'm just saying after Americans made William Hung a hero (not to mention the travesties of "Ice Ice Baby," "The Angry American" and "Who Let the Dogs Out"), I think we still owe the world an apology.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:30 AM   #29
Ksyrup

For dancing purposes, the song is what the song is - it still has the same beat, so that doesn't mean much to me, other than to suggest that Ricky Martin is over. But there's no denying that Ice Ice Baby was awful. Who Let the Dogs Out...eh. Overplayed, but not intrinsically embarrassing, I didn't think. Plus, aren't those guys from Jamaica anyway?

What is The Angry American?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:35 AM   #30
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

You know with Coldplay's ego, they have to be pretty damn steamed right now at being crushed by an animated frog.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:54 AM   #31
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche
You know with Coldplay's ego, they have to be pretty damn steamed right now at being crushed by an animated frog.

Oh no, Coldplay's cool with it, infact, Coldplay's lead has invited the Crazy Frog to dinner to smooth things over.

Whoops. Coldplay's lead has invited the Crazy Frog to BE dinner to smooth things over.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:31 AM   #32
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
For dancing purposes, the song is what the song is - it still has the same beat, so that doesn't mean much to me, other than to suggest that Ricky Martin is over. But there's no denying that Ice Ice Baby was awful. Who Let the Dogs Out...eh. Overplayed, but not intrinsically embarrassing, I didn't think. Plus, aren't those guys from Jamaica anyway?

What is The Angry American?

Yes, but Who Let the Dogs Out was certainly an American promotion and now wherever you go in the world, you are forced to hear it at every sporting event.

Angry American was of a very different sort. It was a country song by Alan Jackson (I think). It's connection to FOFC was that I think HM said it brought a tear to his eye every time he heard it (he may have even said it had the best lyrics he had ever heard). I'm sure some people here will defend it, but I consider it to be one of the worst songs of all time. I think it is just embarrasingly bad and loaded with cliche after cliche, IMO.

I looked it up - I was wrong - it was by Toby Keith (and the parenthetical title was "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue").
Old 06-02-2005, 10:37 AM   #33
Ksyrup

I think I remember the song you're talking about - never heard it, but I remember that thread and the lyrics HM posted. Patriotic country songs are always over-the-top ridiculous and cliche-filled, IMO.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:47 AM   #34
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think I remember the song you're talking about - never heard it, but I remember that thread and the lyrics HM posted. Patriotic country songs are always over-the-top ridiculous and cliche-filled, IMO.

That's probably right. I just was surprised that so many people loved it - it just inspired a horrible backlash in me. Either way, American sins in awful music make it pretty hard to condemn the English for this ringtone debacle.

I think the only country that has committed more musical wrongs (per number of good songs produced) has got to be Canada.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:52 AM   #35
Ksyrup

Aside from the obvious ones everyone cites to (Corey Hart, Celine Dion, Shania Twain, etc.), I'm actually a pretty big fan of Canada's rock and singer/songwriter artists. It just seems the only ones anyone ever hears about int eh US are the ones who suck.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:54 AM   #36
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Having produced Bare Naked Ladies gives Canada a lot of leeway in my book.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:55 AM   #37
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Aside from the obvious ones everyone cites to (Corey Hart, Celine Dion, Shania Twain, etc.), I'm actually a pretty big fan of Canada's rock and singer/songwriter artists. It just seems the only ones anyone ever hears about int eh US are the ones who suck.

I think Canada has some great, unappreciated acts over the years (I've always loved the Tragically Hip), but they have truly produced some awful acts. The recent marketing of Avril Lavigne as the new "punk" star really rubbed me the wrong way. It's not that she is an artist without merit, but how a Canadian teen pop artist became "punk" simply because she could snarl will forever baffle me. Surely, your hatred for Gwen could be better directed toward the evil Canadian artists.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:00 AM   #38
Ksyrup

Avril Lavigne doesn't bother me at all...but then again, I've never heard a complete song of hers, either. I purposely shelter myself from stuff I know I won't like. Sometimes that's not always possible, though. Remarketing is nothing new, either - look at that guy from Orgy who used to be in the hair band Rough Cutt, or Butch Walker from Marvelous 3 was in hair band Southgang. Or hell, look at Tori Amos...! It happens.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:01 AM   #39
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight

Ha! I was going to listen them among Shania and Celine but figured 3 examples were enough...
Old 06-02-2005, 11:02 AM   #40
st.cronin
General Manager

I actually like Celine Dion. I don't really get why so many people hate on her.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:11 AM   #41
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Avril Lavigne doesn't bother me at all...but then again, I've never heard a complete song of hers, either. I purposely shelter myself from stuff I know I won't like. Sometimes that's not always possible, though. Remarketing is nothing new, either - look at that guy from Orgy who used to be in the hair band Rough Cutt, or Butch Walker from Marvelous 3 was in hair band Southgang. Or hell, look at Tori Amos...! It happens.

But with Avril Lavigne, there was no remarketing. She was simply labelled "punk" even though all of her songs were bubble gum pop about teen relationships and breakups. As far as I could tell, the media decided the ability to snarl was what made someone a punk artist since they had no clue what punk was about. I can't find the EW cover I remember, but I think this is the beginning of the accompanying story (tragically a subscription is required):

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,384096_7|43996||0_0_,00.html

She is regularly referred to as the "Punk Princess" even though she has no musical relation to anything punk.

Anyway, I'm done ranting about this today. This gets me almost as mad as Bud Selig.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:28 PM   #42
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I actually like Celine Dion.

Then you'll freakin' LOVE this...

Celine as Michael - hxxp://gorillamask.net/dionjacko.shtml

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:33 PM   #43
st.cronin
General Manager

ok, that was strange, Jeeber...
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:51 PM   #44
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight

I would've gone with Rush, but to each his/her own.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote