Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-25-2003, 08:28 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

simulatedsports.com

Hey guys,

I know some of you still play this (either the bball or the horseracing game). Are any of you having problems getting to the site?

This weekend is the switchover for my favorite league, and I have been trying forever to get in (the past 24 hours or so) to make HTML copies of important things (not to mention to check out the switchover), but no dice.

When I click to go there in the address bar, it tries to load it up, but it never gets there.

If anyone knows what the hell is going on or has another way to get into the site, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 08:31 PM   #2
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

I have been having that exact same problem with this site. I doubt it's related to the web-wide virus because I started having this problem about on Friday afternoon, about 7-8 hours this was brought live but before the virus.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 08:32 PM   #3
cmp
Pro Rookie

Been trying to get in all day with no luck either. I got to check out my results for last night's games and then tried to get in this morning and had no luck. Don't know how to find anything about what's going on though.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 08:45 PM   #4
daedalus
Pro Rookie

The Sim seems to have been having problem this weekend.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 08:47 PM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Well, at least I'm not the only one.

A, I had problems getting into here last night, too, but they eventually cleared themselves up. I even had problems getting into the old site. And, no, this was not early on when the boards were getting switched over, but late, late last night (like 11 p.m. PST Friday).

One last question, A: what Web-wide virus?!? I haven't heard anything, but thats ounds awfully ominous to me.

gold101, I have emailed p6k at a couple addresses. Hopefully, we'll hear back from him, although my guess is he will be getting way too many emails to respond to us all (assuming everyone is in the same boat we are).

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:50 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by daedalus
The Sim seems to have been having problem this weekend.

Is it the sim, though? Or the site? The sim seemed fine. Scores were up, with PBP and box scores and the like. And in the past, if there was a sim problem, things just didn't get updated and we would get a message from p6k.

This is different, as we can't even reach the site. That means server problems, probably, which, unfortunately is also probably not under Jeremy's control, putting us at the mercy of having to wait for the end of the weekend before the server maintenance guys get back to work.

Chief Rum

Old 01-25-2003, 08:56 PM   #7
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Upes, my bad. I meant that as in the site was having problem. The HR side is having issues as well.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:04 PM   #8
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Chief, here's a news report of the virus attack that occurred last night virus slows internet

The quick summary is that a rapidly spreading worm virus targeting MS SQL Server 2000 databases that weren't patched overwhelmed the net in general starting late last night/early this morning slowing down net traffic in general and bringing down many sites. I'm pretty sure Jeremy uses SQL Server 2000 for SimulatedSports Basketball; who knows whether the site can be opened before Monday. I'm sure he's aware of the situation and will hold-off running critical functions of the game until the site is accessable again.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 10:10 PM   #9
jerem77
Mascot

I haven't been able to get in all day either. I'm eager to check the league 5 w-3/w-12

Last edited by jerem77 : 01-25-2003 at 10:11 PM.
jerem77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 10:55 PM   #10
daedalus
Pro Rookie

By the way, according to the front page (simulatedsports.com):

Quote:
Dellhost.com, our hosting service, is temporarily down. They claim that there is a major internet outage that is affecting many sites, but I haven't found any besides sites they host that are affected. They could not give me an estimated time that things will be back to normal. Try the links below to see if the site is back up. I will be delaying the posting of races until at least 12:00 PM NOON EST Sunday (maybe later) because of the outage. Thanks for your patience.

So, looks like we're stuck for a bit.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:52 PM   #11
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Shouldn't take them too long to fix. I got a call about 9am this morning and got everything cleared up at my company by about noon. They just have to isolate any problem computers, apply a patch and reboot.

Hopefully that is all they have to do.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 12:09 AM   #12
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by daedalus
By the way, according to the front page (simulatedsports.com):

So, looks like we're stuck for a bit.

How the heck did you get to the front page, daedalus? My browser continues to fail to even get there.

Chief Rum

Old 01-26-2003, 12:15 AM   #13
jerem77
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by SplitPersonality1
Shouldn't take them too long to fix. I got a call about 9am this morning and got everything cleared up at my company by about noon. They just have to isolate any problem computers, apply a patch and reboot.

Hopefully that is all they have to do.

Thats assuming that the host company is actually working to solve the problem. If irst checked it at 8 this morning, it now after midnight. While I love the game, I have been unhappy with the server they run on. On my highspeed internet connection I still can't get into the site during game time, not to mention the many off-peak times I've had trouble with it as well. Hopefully the new pay options will allow them to find a more reliable host.
jerem77 is offline   Reply With Quote