Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2003, 02:45 PM   #1
cincyreds
High School Varsity

OT: Cowboy fans unite! Who will we draft?

And please no Cowboy haters please.

I have seen and read where the Cowboys may give up their #5 pick in order to get the Saints # 17 and # 18 picks. Would this be a good move?

What are the chances of the Cowboys drafting somebody like Kyle Boller?

Cowboy fans or other NFL fans, honestly who do you see us drafting this weekend?

cincyreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:47 PM   #2
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Two ones for a higher one? Sounds good, but I guess it depends on needs and what is out there.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:55 PM   #3
Calis
College Starter

Are the Saints wanting Newman? Or what's their idea behind moving up?
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:59 PM   #4
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that the Saints would be more interested in Robertson if they made that move. They picked up some secondary help in FA, but didn't really address LB or DL needs.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:03 PM   #5
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I have heard the Saints are very high on Newman, and Trufant....but I agree with albionmoonlight that if we move up it should be for Robertson. That being said I have also read reports that say the Saints want to move up, but they do not plan on giving up both 1st round picks, they say they will keep 2 first rounders, so I am not sure what they will be doing. If we traded up and got Newman or Robertson I would be very very happy, I just hope it doesn't cost us both 1st rounders.

I am not a Cowboys fan...but I could see them going in many directions with thier pick...They could go for Newman who appears to be a great CB, Robertson/Kennedy- to put a big body next to Glover to help take some pressure off of him and let him be more of the pass rusher he is....or Suggs give them some more help on the D-line....The Cowboys are in a good position- they might be able to trade down a few spots and still get the player they really want.

Another thing that might make a trade up more likely for the Saints is today they signed TE Ernie Conwell and before it was looking like we would take TE Jason Witten in round 1, now that TE is not as much as a need (Saftey either with the trade for Tebucky Jones) it is more likely that the Saints could trade (possibly with the Cowboys) to draft Newman or someone else....Personally I would like to see them come out of round 1 with Boss Baily and one of the DTs, possibly Sullivan or Joseph.

Last edited by Doug5984 : 04-14-2003 at 03:11 PM.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:07 PM   #6
Calis
College Starter

Ahh good, basically I'm happy as long as Newman doesn't go to the Cowboys.

No offense to Cowboys fans, I just want better for K-State'ers.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:16 PM   #7
cincyreds
High School Varsity

I respect you guys opinions and responses.

There was a mock draft done over at cbssportsline last week that had the Cowboys moving down and the Saints moving up to #5 and it had Dallas at picks #17 and #18.

I was shocked to see this also, but it would be great to get 2 good solid first rd picks, my Boys need it.

Most of all though, we need a QB and I have also read that Parcells likes Boller, but so do the Packers.

I'll see if I can find where I saw and read the information and post a link, if I can find it again.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:22 PM   #8
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I don't know if the trade will be with the Saints, but I would be shocked if Dallas does not trade down.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:30 PM   #9
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Isn't the draft the 26th-27th, or is it this weekend?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:32 PM   #10
cincyreds
High School Varsity

It is this weekend, SunDancer.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:38 PM   #11
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Cincy, it is the 26th-27th.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:48 PM   #12
Kodos
Resident Alien

Re: OT: Cowboy fans unite! Who will we draft?

Quote:
Originally posted by cincyreds
And please no Cowboy haters please.

Well, I guess I am uninvited. I can't wait to see what the Cowboys' braintrust (term used loosely) has in store for this year's draft.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:39 PM   #13
tucker342
Pro Starter

The Cowboys should draft Brad Banks. He's better than who ever is there starting quarterback right now...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:31 PM   #14
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, draft Banks, but draft him in the second round...and maybe trade up to get him.

Ohh, or how about the UNLV quarterback. He's a marginal prospect. A sure fire 3rd round pick for Jerry Jones.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:40 PM   #15
AgPete
College Prospect

If the Cowboys stick with their #5 pick, the three picks I would be happy with are CB Terence Newman, DE Terrell Suggs and QB Byron Leftwich. Newman seems to be the popular pick with mock drafts and Newman and Suggs are the two I'd be happiest with.

The Cowboys have zero depth at corner but Derek Ross was a pleasant surprise and for those who didn't watch Cowboys games last year, Ross may be one of the best corners in the NFL for a few years. Still, the best man behind him is Mario Edwards and Newman would be a huge upgrade over him if he becomes what people predict. It would be nice to see two potential all-pro corners on the Cowboys.

The Cowboys though need some help on the defensive line and linebacker. If Suggs is anywhere close to his contemporary Dwight Freeney, he would help the Cowboys immensely. It's hard not to upgrade over Ebenzer Ekuban. Dallas also lost Brandon Noble and they had problems pressuring quarterbacks at times so if Suggs can be the pass rushing threat some think he will, a team of Suggs, Glover and Ellis would wreck havoc on offensive lines. Suggs could perhaps also be moved to linebacker, especially if Parcells wants to change the small, quick linebackers that Dallas has typically gone for in past years. Apparently, Suggs isn't as safe a pick as Newman, and I see shades of Albert Haynesworth in him. A young promising defensive lineman but he may not be the first year impact Freeney was.

The Cowboys need to find a replacement for Aikman as soon as possible. I wouldn't be upset with Leftwich but I don't think Parcells will be around to see what he can do if they're going to depend on another rookie quarterback. I'd like to see them give Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson another chance and find a dependable vet somewhere in free agency.

If the Cowboys can't pick any of those three, I'd like to see them trade down and the offensive line would be my first choice to draft for. Rumors are flying that Parcells is a big fan of OT Jordan Gross. I'm not convinced Larry Allen will ever be a dominant offensive lineman again, especially if he can't stay healthy anymore and there are a lot of "iffy" young guys on the line as well as the underachiever Flozell Adams who just signed a fat contract which may be bad news. I wouldn't mind a defensive tackle in the lower first round either.

Dallas definitely needs to look for the next Emmitt Smith too. #22's are one in a million and no running back looks to be worth a first round pick this year but I'd be happy if they spent second or third round picks on Larry Johnson (Maybe a low first round pick on him), Willis McGahee (Huge gamble but worth it if he pans out), Lee Suggs and a few others.

It's a quarterback rich draft and I'd be happy if Dallas spent a second or third round pick on another QB to act as insurance for their young guys that haven't proven anything yet.

The only two positions I'd be shocked if the Cowboys drafted high are wide receiver and safety. Woodson and Roy Williams are good enough for this and next year and if the Cowboys just need to find someone to throw the ball to Galloway, Bryant and Glenn.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote