Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2003, 02:01 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Exclamation Iraq/Russia Spy Ties Found

Top-secret Iraqi intelligence documents found in Baghdad show that Russia funneled spy secrets to Saddam Hussein and that Moscow was still training Iraqi spies last fall, in violation of U.N. sanctions, reports say.

The captured documents also show that the Kremlin gave Saddam lists of assassins who could do "hits" in the West and that Iraq and Russia signed deals to share intelligence and help get "visas" so agents could go to Western countries, the London Telegraph reported.

One document also suggests that Russia believed Iraq had a nuclear-weapons program -- at the same time the Kremlin was publicly denying it.

The Arabic documents -- the first in a likely flood -- show cooperation between Russia and Iraq that's far more extensive and recent than previously reported. There were even copies of Christmas cards exchanged by Iraqi and Russian intelligence chiefs, the report adds.

A U.S. official described the reports as "plausible."

If true, they could raise grave doubts about U.S.-Russian relations and President Bush's belief that he looked into Russian President Vladimir Putin's "soul" and knew he could trust Russian leader.

They also raise new questions about Russia's motives when it formed an axis of the unwilling with France and Germany to block U.S.-British efforts to have the U.N. Security Council to get tough with Saddam.

Bush has complained to Putin that Russian companies sold Iraq military gear like satellite jammers, intended to interfere with U.S. weapons, and anti-tank weapons, possibly funneled through Syria. Russia denied it.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported documents found in personnel files of Iraqi intelligence agents show they got spy training as recently as last September from the "Special Training Center" in Moscow, complete with diplomas. One agent's file -- found at an annex to Iraq's Mukhabarat spy agency -- showed he completed "acoustic surveillance" training last Sept. 15, and got a diploma with Russia's double-eagle insignia, the report said.

Such training would violate U.N. sanctions.

Other documents -- mostly intelligence reports from anonymous agents and the Iraqi Embassy in Moscow -- show that Russia and Iraq also agreed to exchange information on Usama bin Laden, the Telegraph said.

One report, dated March 5, 2002, and marked "Subject -- SECRET" is from an Iraqi intelligence agent who relates that a Russian colleague gave him details of a private chat between British Prime Minister Tony Blair and Italian Prime Minister Silvio Belusconi that took place Feb. 15.

Blair "referred to the negative things decided by the United States over Baghdad" -- which Bush presumably told him in private -- but Blair refused to take military action in Iraq until after a new government was set up in Afghanistan.

A document dated March 12, 2002, says the Russians warned Iraq that if it refused to comply with the United Nations, it would give the United States "a cause to destroy any nuclear weapons," the Telegraph said.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:06 PM   #2
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

"Axis of the unwilling" lol everyone's a Nazi but us.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:08 PM   #3
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

No wonder Russia had been very defensive about this whole war. I guess we wait now until we uncover billions of dollars worth of coverups and shady deals between France and the Iraqi oil companies.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:13 PM   #4
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Russia spied on Blair for Saddam
Old 04-14-2003, 02:21 PM   #5
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

You mean the RUSSIANS had alterior motives?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:21 PM   #6
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Re: Iraq/Russia Spy Ties Found

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
There were even copies of Christmas cards exchanged by Iraqi and Russian intelligence chiefs, the report adds.
Do the Hallmarks in Iraq really carry that wide a selection of Christmas cards?
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:27 PM   #7
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I has been known for a while that Russia made some extra cash contracting out its intel services.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:29 PM   #8
andy m
High School Varsity

i thought the Russians were proponents of AMD myself.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:32 PM   #9
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
AMD? Andy's menstrual discharge?
Old 04-14-2003, 02:36 PM   #10
User #2735
n00b

I hate this. I was really hoping the Russian government was becoming something we could trust.
User #2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:33 PM   #11
CAsterling
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by User #2735
I hate this. I was really hoping the Russian government was becoming something we could trust.

I trust the Russian goverment - about as much as I trust the American goverment
Old 04-14-2003, 04:39 PM   #12
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by CAsterling
I trust the Russian goverment - about as much as I trust the American goverment

Stunning
Old 04-14-2003, 04:45 PM   #13
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

You have to forgive CAsterling. He doesn't appreciate the difference of our Constitution and Bill of Rights, as compared to the Russian "Constitution". Being a Brit and all, I would suspect there are still hard feelings and jealousy from 1775-1781.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:53 PM   #14
CAsterling
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
You have to forgive CAsterling. He doesn't appreciate the difference of our Constitution and Bill of Rights, as compared to the Russian "Constitution". Being a Brit and all, I would suspect there are still hard feelings and jealousy from 1775-1781.

No, I have no hard feelings, I'm enjoying my visit to the colonies, must say I like what you rebels have done with the place
My favourite moment over here - being asked - "Why don't the English celebrate the 4th of July "

Seriously, though, I don't have any major problems with the setup of the American goverment, I just don't trust goverments, (whether they be French/English/American/Russian/German etc)especially those whose leaders main motivation is to get re-elected.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:55 PM   #15
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Ah, so a monarchy would be better. I knew there was a reason to throw out the king.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:58 PM   #16
CAsterling
High School JV

definitely a monarchy would be great - as long as the Monarch isn't Prince Charles
Old 04-14-2003, 05:12 PM   #17
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

somebody is starting to sound like English Bob.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:19 PM   #18
tucker342
Pro Starter

I don't trust our goivernment at all... But I don't trust any governments

Also, we help out dictators all the time. But it's different because we're America?
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:53 PM   #19
CAsterling
High School JV

Nothing wrong with helping out dictators - dictators are legitimate rulers too (and some of them actually improve their nations and help their people).

Personally I looking for an acceptable dictator to be a quality henchman for - the benefits are amazing.
Great life style for a few years, tons of money to deposit in foreign banks and then assuming the escape plan works a life of luxury at the end (or a shallow grave if it goes wrong).
Old 04-14-2003, 08:42 PM   #20
ACStrider
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
somebody is starting to sound like English Bob.

A.K.A. the Duck of Death...Great movie ref. Fritz!

"With a king or a king, one would tremble so as not to be able to shoot. With a president, well, why not shoot a president?"

Last edited by ACStrider : 04-14-2003 at 08:44 PM.
ACStrider is offline   Reply With Quote