Pro Starter

Michigan - Nebraska Ending

WTF was that?

Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:20 PM   #2
kingfc22
Head Coach

Officiating was a JOKE tonight.

Hats off to Nebraska for a solid defensive effort in the 4th quarter.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 12-28-2005 at 11:20 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
timmynausea
College Starter

That was pretty crazy.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:21 PM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

How much money did the refs have on Nebraksa? Some extremely suspect late-game officiating. And apparently having 40+ guys covering half the field doesn't warrant a "too many men on the field" penalty.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:21 PM   #5
Blade6119
Coordinator

Horrible officiating, but both teams went on the field....wow...Good job by the 2 nebraska players to notice it was still going and save that
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:21 PM   #6
vex
Grizzled Veteran

wow.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:22 PM   #7
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

He should have pitched it back to Breaston. He might of scored.

While the Nebraska defense and yet another 4th quarter collapse by Michigan were the main reason for the result this game has got to go down as the:

WORST. OFFICIATED. GAME. EVER.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:24 PM   #8
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Am i correct in saying that even if that was called off-setting penalites on the last play, Michigan gets another play... right? (game can't end on defensive penalty)
Old 12-28-2005, 11:25 PM   #9
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

A fitting end to the worst officiated game I think I've ever seen in my life. I can't even count the mistakes they made on Nebraska's behalf.

And Herbstreit, geez. Why didn't he just go down on the field, unzip Callahan's pants and go to work right then and there?

Just a fitting end to Michigan's worst season in my lifetime.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:30 PM   #10
biological warrior
High School Varsity

After 8 years we sort of have an answer to who was the 97 champs. Agreed totally how many times did UM have to call a t.o. to get some calls reviewed.
biological warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:30 PM   #11
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

How in the freaking world do the refs just jog off the field after blowing the final whistle? Who in the Hell were these guys? Some Pop Warner refs?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:31 PM   #12
dacman
College Benchwarmer

A friend of mine's dad is on the Alamo Bowl committee. Can't wait to hear what he has to say. They were not happy AT ALL about being stuck with a Sun Belt crew for this game and his worst fears were clearly realized.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:31 PM   #13
Celeval
Pro Starter

I dunno... I think if that went in for the touchdown, there wouldn't have been offsetting or anything else called. Bad call by #89 to try and bring it in himself... he had three guys there with him and only two (one?) Nebraska defender left. One more pitch would have won it.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:31 PM   #14
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

I am still in shock. Is it really the collegiate system that you have to burn a timeout in order to get a review? Even if it is overturned? I call BS.

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:34 PM   #15
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
How in the freaking world do the refs just jog off the field after blowing the final whistle? Who in the Hell were these guys? Some Pop Warner refs?

This is what is most mind-blowing to me. How can every member of the crew leave the field without throwing a flag? There were like 40 cornhuskers on the field, a few wolverines stepped on then back off, and there was like 20 miscellaneous guys on the field.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:35 PM   #16
biological warrior
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSpeechCoach
I am still in shock. Is it really the collegiate system that you have to burn a timeout in order to get a review? Even if it is overturned? I call BS.
I call BS too. remember UM v. ND earlier in the year? There was a review on EVERY play. Just peopel on the booth not doing their jobs. The college system need to change to NFL replay system, which I feel is superior.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:36 PM   #17
biological warrior
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
This is what is most mind-blowing to me. How can every member of the crew leave the field without throwing a flag? There were like 40 cornhuskers on the field, a few wolverines stepped on then back off, and there was like 20 miscellaneous guys on the field.
They wanted to fly back to Vegas AND cash in those vouchers.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:36 PM   #18
Celeval
Pro Starter

Something to consider... if this was a Sun Belt crew; I'm pretty sure the Sun Belt didn't HAVE replay during the season. So this would conceivably be brand new to the officials.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:37 PM   #19
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I guess the refs see no problem with this scene (yes, this is a play in-progress):

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 12-28-2005 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:39 PM   #20
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
I dunno... I think if that went in for the touchdown, there wouldn't have been offsetting or anything else called. Bad call by #89 to try and bring it in himself... he had three guys there with him and only two (one?) Nebraska defender left. One more pitch would have won it.

It wouldn't have felt right, though. You're probably right that they would have let the play stand, being incompetent idiots. But there were Michigan people all over the field down there, and Breaston would have used them as picks, had Ecker pitched it back to him.

The one that really frosts me the most (out of many, like how does a ball travel 15 yards forward if it's not batted and it's not thrown) was the missed pass interference call at the goal line with two minutes to play. That was about as blatant an arm grab as you'll ever see, and right in front of the official.

Then, while they're setting up for the punt, the stupid refs sit around for 10 seconds discussing the weather before starting the 25-second clock.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:39 PM   #21
st.cronin
General Manager

I think the replay rules vary by conference - I don't think there's a unified rule. I have no idea what the rules would be for a bowl game.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:42 PM   #22
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess the refs see no problem with this scene (yes, this is a play in-progress):

Between that picture (I didn't see the play live or on tape yet) and the off-field controversy with the SmurfTurf Bowl, I believe I have today been swung into the camp of "okay, there's too damn many bowl games".
Old 12-28-2005, 11:44 PM   #23
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I think the replay rules vary by conference - I don't think there's a unified rule. I have no idea what the rules would be for a bowl game.

The bowls all are using the Big Ten replay system.

The Sun Belt did not have replay. This was this particular crew's first ever experience with a replay system.

I find it odd that a Sun Belt crew did this game. Were there really no available SEC, ACC, Pac-10 crews? Hell, Conference USA and the WAC both have teams in Texas and are "more bigtime" conferences than the Sun Belt.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:45 PM   #24
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

And that picture doesn't come close to showing how ridiculous it was. Sportscenter chose not to show the rear angle shot which showed about 40 Cornhuskers occupying the entire left side of the field while the play was only about 1/2 way done. No flag on the play is just completely ridiculous.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:46 PM   #25
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

You know the funny thing about that picture? I count three officials in view, all in pretty good position to make a play call.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:46 PM   #26
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
And that picture doesn't come close to showing how ridiculous it was. Sportscenter chose not to show the rear angle shot which showed about 40 Cornhuskers occupying the entire left side of the field while the play was only about 1/2 way done. No flag on the play is just completely ridiculous.

Mostly agreed.

The problem is that 40 is a major understatement. Hart was forced to move to the right after recovering the ball because Nebraska was basically defending the left half of the field with the rest of their players and coaches.

As it turns out, it may have forced a call by those incompetent refs if he had run left and run into one of the illegal men on the field.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:48 PM   #27
st.cronin
General Manager

I want to congratulate myself on putting a 50 on Nebraska +12.5 ... easiest money i made all year.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:49 PM   #28
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
It wouldn't have felt right, though. You're probably right that they would have let the play stand, being incompetent idiots. But there were Michigan people all over the field down there, and Breaston would have used them as picks, had Ecker pitched it back to him.

The one that really frosts me the most (out of many, like how does a ball travel 15 yards forward if it's not batted and it's not thrown) was the missed pass interference call at the goal line with two minutes to play. That was about as blatant an arm grab as you'll ever see, and right in front of the official.

Then, while they're setting up for the punt, the stupid refs sit around for 10 seconds discussing the weather before starting the 25-second clock.

Agreed on the PI, not agreed on the fumble. I thought that was a fumble. If you noticed the Michigan QB just walked off the field. Let me add if they would of called that an Incomplete Pass I would of been OK with that call.

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 12-28-2005 at 11:49 PM.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:53 PM   #29
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

LMAO!!! That is such a funny damn picture CT.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:53 PM   #30
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:

ESPN has some serious Nebraska ties, at least in the studio.

I still have never forgiven ESPN for that moment, in January of 1998, when at about 3 in the morning Pacific time, they announced that the coaches poll had flipped, giving Nebraska a share of the National Championship.

There was absolute pandemonium going on in that studio. You could hear yelling and screaming, the announcers were clearly delighted.

Since ESPN sponsored that poll and the votes are kept secret, I've always wondered if the crew on that morning rigged the votes. Michigan held a large lead in the vote until then primarily because of the illegal kick-play that wasn't called that got Nebraska that win over Missouri earlier that season.

Of course, that was the situation that provided the final impetus for the BCS, which only works well in situations like that (and this year's) where there's a clear #1-2.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:54 PM   #31
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Between that picture (I didn't see the play live or on tape yet) and the off-field controversy with the SmurfTurf Bowl, I believe I have today been swung into the camp of "okay, there's too damn many bowl games".

which one, the one of the Boise State folks turning it into a heckle the Eagles session? Or the Eagles play by play guy allegedly calling the bowl game the MPC Empty Seat Bowl Game?

yeah, I think BC made their displeasure with being a 3rd place team and going to a 7th place bowl game pretty obvious, didn't they?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:55 PM   #32
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Any chance of a game ending scene like this in the second edition of TCY?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:00 AM   #33
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight
Any chance of a game ending scene like this in the second edition of TCY?

No, I've never much liked gimmicks in any of my games. That sort of thing only works well if it's sufficiently rare and varied.

I will, however, consider cracks about Sun Belt officials fair game.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:06 AM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
which one, the one of the Boise State folks turning it into a heckle the Eagles session?

That part was what I was talking about, I hadn't seen anything about the other (until searching for more after you mentioned it)

from Boston.com
And while BC (8-3) has been designated the ''home" team and will wear its maroon jerseys, the Eagles are not likely to enjoy anything in the way of a home-field advantage. That will belong to Boise State (9-3), which will look to extend a 31-game winning streak on the famed blue turf of its 30,000-seat Bronco Stadium, where the Eagles noticed nary a BC logo on the field.

That was the first perceived slight.

Another came Monday night during a bowl function, the Beyond the Game Dinner, where BC's entourage was limited to a certain number of guests. Meanwhile, it seemed like come one, come all for Boise State.

''That's when it was apparent to me this was not just another bowl game," said senior defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka. ''We were playing a road game."

BC was subjected to yet another slight during the banquet when speakers at the podium turned the function into an impromptu Boise State pep rally by concluding their remarks with, ''Go Broncos!"

Mike Atkins, chief executive officer of MPC Computers, even took a shot at ''the arrogant Boston media," and called out BC radio play-by-play man Jon Meterparel for alleging referring to the game as ''The Empty-Seat Computers Bowl" -- which Meterparel denies.

I'm sorry, but somewhere amidst all of that crap, it dawns on me that there's simply too many bowls when a backwater like Boise freakin' Idaho is hosting a game, when the title sponsor doesn't have enough sense to STFU (gee, bet they won over a whole bunch of consumers in Boston with his remarks), and yeah, if they're playing a bowl game on a field that looks like something from the Backyard Football location options.

You know me, I'm about as Southern as they come & that makes me pretty unlikely to spend much time defending Baaaaston College (hell, I still don't like having 'em in the conference frankly) but the ACC needs to cut this turkey loose. Going to that game isn't a reward, it's freakin' punishment.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-29-2005 at 12:07 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:10 AM   #35
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Apparently they also made fun of Kiwanuka's name.. and if there's one thing that Mathias takes personally.. it's his family.. (his grandfather was the first PM of Uganda, and was assassinated by Idi Amin)..

I don't think BC will be back

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-29-2005 at 12:23 AM. Reason: grandfather, not father
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:12 AM   #36
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

and speaking of too many bowls..

Now that the NCAA has allowed all teams a 12th game.. you should need 7 wins, with a MAXIMUM of 1 win against 1-AA opposition counting towards that 7 win mark. (in some cases, local rivalry, sure.. it means you'd still need to go 6-5 vs 1-A opposition)/

56 of 117 1-A teams are playing in bowl games this year. That's too many.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:13 AM   #37
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
ESPN has some serious Nebraska ties, at least in the studio.

I still have never forgiven ESPN for that moment, in January of 1998, when at about 3 in the morning Pacific time, they announced that the coaches poll had flipped, giving Nebraska a share of the National Championship.

There was absolute pandemonium going on in that studio. You could hear yelling and screaming, the announcers were clearly delighted.

Since ESPN sponsored that poll and the votes are kept secret, I've always wondered if the crew on that morning rigged the votes. Michigan held a large lead in the vote until then primarily because of the illegal kick-play that wasn't called that got Nebraska that win over Missouri earlier that season.

Of course, that was the situation that provided the final impetus for the BCS, which only works well in situations like that (and this year's) where there's a clear #1-2.

There's some crazy talk in there, Jim. I would recommend going to bed and sleeping it off.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:17 AM   #38
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
There's some crazy talk in there, Jim. I would recommend going to bed and sleeping it off.

Sure, it sounds bad. But the scene that morning was surreal. If you had seen it, you might agree. They were actually celebrating on the set.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:19 AM   #39
Huckleberry
College Starter

Some of them may have been Nebraska fans, others may have simply been celebrating the fact that the poll switch gave them another week of stories without having to actually investigate or report anything.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:22 AM   #40
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I guess this makes up for the extra 2 seconds they got in another game???
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:23 AM   #41
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval

TRUE! Don't any of these guys ever stay up late at night in their dorm rooms/apartments and watch Rugby on FSC?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:28 AM   #42
biological warrior
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
and speaking of too many bowls..

Now that the NCAA has allowed all teams a 12th game.. you should need 7 wins, with a MAXIMUM of 1 win against 1-AA opposition counting towards that 7 win mark. (in some cases, local rivalry, sure.. it means you'd still need to go 6-5 vs 1-A opposition)/

56 of 117 1-A teams are playing in bowl games this year. That's too many.
28 bowl games?!!!!!!? Yes that does seem like too many. Soon all teams will be plaaying in a bowl game regardless of record. I think bowls (mainly smaller ones) should be at large bids. Making sure that teams rotate into different bowls each year.In other words NO Conference ties to bowls, instead make criterias based on strength of schedule and quality wins and plug those into a computer of sorts to determine who goes where.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:31 AM   #43
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biological warrior
In other words NO Conference ties to bowls, instead make criterias based on strength of schedule and quality wins and plug those into a computer of sorts to determine who goes where.

And I go just the opposite ... leave the conference ties for at least one slot to most games but reduce the number of bowls, ensuring pretty good teams for those that remain & giving bowls at least a chance to draw some sort of crowd.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:33 AM   #44
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

If people want to put up money for these bowl games (and they obviously do), I say let them play. It's all about money anyway.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:34 AM   #45
biological warrior
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
And I go just the opposite ... leave the conference ties for at least one slot to most games but reduce the number of bowls, ensuring pretty good teams for those that remain & giving bowls at least a chance to draw some sort of crowd.
Your plan makes too much sense though. You have a good plan and might I include at least an 8-3 or 8-4 record to be eligible for a bowl game, I'd also love to see an ACC or SEC team play in the LV Bowl once in a while instead of the usual PAC-10 v. MWC/WAC.

Last edited by biological warrior : 12-29-2005 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:36 AM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If people want to put up money for these bowl games (and they obviously do), I say let them play. It's all about money anyway.

And that's pretty much where I've come down until today ... but things seem to have now gone from "ridiculous ... but it's their money" to "this has gotten absurd & it's time to rein it in".
Old 12-29-2005, 12:40 AM   #47
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16
I guess this makes up for the extra 2 seconds they got in another game???

A lot has been written about that one. To summarize:

With 28 seconds to play, Carr called a time out. He started ranting and raving on the sideline (as we saw him do quite a bit tonight). He convinced the officials to set the clock to 30 seconds, when he claimed he first asked for the time out.

As is incessantly played on the highlight films of this season, with one second remaining, Henne found Manningham open in the end zone with the touchdown that separates Penn State from a nice controversy as to who should be playing in the Rose Bowl next week.

The difference here is that we don't know how the final 28 seconds would have unfolded. It wasn't clear when Carr asked for a time out, there wasn't a camera focused on him. But it's likely that the three plays before the final play would have been called differently had there been less time on the clock, starting back when Michigan had a 1st-and-10 on the 16 with about 10-12 seconds to play.

We also don't know that Michigan could have scored tonight with a first-and-goal with two minutes to play. They still needed a touchdown, though at least they could have both run and passed. But this was a very different type of situation.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:48 AM   #48
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:

As long as the corporate sponsors feel they're getting their money's worth from the publicity, I'm fine with it. Just don't ask me to watch 6-5 Memphis play 7-5 Akron.

Remember, the NCAA can not do much to stop these bowl games. As long as bowls are allowed and corporations put up the required seed money, they are forced to allow teams to play.

Now, the NCAA could change eligibility rules. But to do so might not have the effect they're looking for. For instance, they could say you need 7 wins to compete in a bowl. That would reduce the number of bowls, but it would affect the big conferences more than the little ones.

Or they could up the minimum payout to $2 million (it is $750k right now). That would eliminate all of the bowl ties for the minor conferences, and we'd have a situation where 10-1 TCU stays home while 7-4 Michigan plays with Sun Belt officials. It's not a good idea to come up with solutions that reduce the opportunity for good minor-conference teams to play big bowl games.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:54 AM   #49
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

ditto the fact that people watch them.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:00 AM   #50
saldana
Pro Starter

this is from the article about the game on ESPN. com

"The game ended on a bizarre play, with Michigan's Chad Henne throwing a short pass and his teammates lateraling no fewer than five times up and down the field before the play fizzled out with many extra players and coaches on the field."

going along with the ESPN loves nebraska theme, i enjoy that they dont mention that almost every single one of the extra players, and the only ones that actually had an impact on the play, were from nebraska.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote