Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
Bee
Pro Starter

Armageddon Empires

Haven't tried it yet, but it's been getting a lot of positive spin on several other forums. I've downloaded the demo and am going to give it a spin tonight. It's a turn based strategy game with some card/board game aspects to it. From what I've read the UI is a little difficult to get used to and the game is pretty complex initially but the manual is helpful. You can download the demo here and check out the game:

http://www.crypticcomet.com/games/AE...n_empires.html

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:35 PM   #2
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I've tinkered with the demo, and the game seems to have potential. I haven't invested enough time in it to say for certain, and some of the features are a mystery (i.e., I discovered some cool alien stuff, but have no idea how to utilize it).
Old 08-02-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

downloading. Will try it out
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

doesn't seem like it's my style. Interesting and I might fuss with it a bit more to be sure though.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:32 AM   #5
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar View Post
I've tinkered with the demo, and the game seems to have potential. I haven't invested enough time in it to say for certain, and some of the features are a mystery (i.e., I discovered some cool alien stuff, but have no idea how to utilize it).

Some of that stuff I think you attach to specific unit types, so you pull up the unit and then drag and drop it on them. Then a "paperclip" appears on the side of the unit card. I think you can only attach stuff when the units are in a fortress or something (obviously, I haven't figured out that much either).
Old 08-03-2007, 06:38 AM   #6
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
doesn't seem like it's my style. Interesting and I might fuss with it a bit more to be sure though.

I haven't decided on it yet. It's much more of a board/card game than I was expecting and I found the combat portion to be a ridiculous clickfest, but I actually enjoyed playing around with it after figuring out the basics. If I didn't have several other games I'm spending time with right now I'd probably have bought this, but I'm on the fence right now.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Love the artwork. Not the all time greateast but, for some reason, just reminds me off alot of the artwork in 70's/early 80's RPGs like Living Steel & Gamma World.

Having said that, I haven't dug too much into it. Definitely have to read the rules before I start since I didn't know what the hell I was doing.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #8
Bee
Pro Starter

For anyone wanting a crash course in how the game plays, I recommend checking out this thread over at Octopus Overlords. It's an AAR that shows screenshots and gives you a pretty good idea of what's going on. It helped me a lot in my attempt with the demo.

Here's the link:
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpB...ic.php?t=53139
Old 08-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #9
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Here's a link to a long thread over there with a lot of questions and answers. I liked the game enough to buy it and I'll be trying it out in the next few days.

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpB...er=asc&start=0

-Abe

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:29 PM   #10
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Any current impressions, Abe? I've seen some very high praise for this game.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:30 PM   #11
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I bought it, its okay, has some replayability, but i wish there were more cards.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:44 AM   #12
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I really like AE, definitely worth the purchase in my opinion. I enjoy the developers blog as well, it's always an interested read.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #13
Galaril
Pro Starter

I finally broke down and got this and it is really great! It is especailly great hope it can even be played on alowly work laptop in an airport or plane
BTW Here are a few great links for anyone still on the fence first a review by Bill Trotter over at the Wargamer.com site. If you don't know who Bill Trotter is he is to wargame reviews what Bill Abner is to sports game reviews.

Secondly, link is to the developer blog which is really good and alot of information about this games "under the hood".

Definitley check out Bill Harris' walkthrough it is great and on the blog lefthand margin. Also, he is getting ready to official announce his next game to be completed in 08. It is now being called the alias of project Brimstone" until he announces the title. He describes it as "Diplomacy" meets "Dune" with a bunch of George RR Martin's "Game of Thrones" thrown plus a little "Ticket to Ride" for good measure. It will have a very deep diplomatic model with multiple levels of relationships. Sounds promising.

Lastly, I have linked to the games forums over at Wargamers that is serving as the official "unofficial" forums for the game since the developer doesn't have his own yet.

Trotter review
http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/arma...es/Default.asp
Forgotten Lore Blog:
http://www.crypticcomet.com/blog/
Forums:
http://www.wargamer.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=228
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:12 PM   #14
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

neh. The UI killed this for me personally. But that's just me. Made it impossible to learn the game.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #15
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
neh. The UI killed this for me personally. But that's just me. Made it impossible to learn the game.

To each his own. But, you really owe it to yourself to try to fight through the UIs short comingsd to get to a truly great game with TONS of immersion and replayabilty. I too had a tough time and after failing to get into it three times for a few days each time I finally gritted it out to get past the UI. And now I can see why somethings in the UI are actually better the way they are.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:48 AM   #16
flounder
High School Varsity

I just picked this game up a few weeks ago and have been playing it nonstop since then. It did take me a while to figure out the user interface, though.

If anyone hasn't played it lately, Vic has released a free expansion pack called Cults of the Wasteland that adds some new independent factions to the game. It adds a neat twist and some hard challenges.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #17
HerRealName
College Prospect

AE is incredible. The Cults expansion really helped make it a better game because it was too easy with a little experience before the expansion. I think I read that the developer is working on another smaller expansion as well. The UI is rough and there are waaaay too many clicks required to play the game but I still consider this a classic despite the drawbacks.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote