Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Official College Football Thread - Championship Week

Pretty interesting start this week. The Big Ten is using a Craigslist ad through a third party to quietly pay people $75/person to go to the Big Ten Championship game.

The Big Ten Championship is Looking for ‘Event Seat-Fillers’ | Kegs 'n Eggs Blog

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Pretty interesting start this week. The Big Ten is using a Craigslist ad through a third party to quietly pay people $75/person to go to the Big Ten Championship game.

The Big Ten Championship is Looking for ‘Event Seat-Fillers’ | Kegs 'n Eggs Blog

No. It's not. That's already been exposed as a hoax.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

A source close to the Wiscy AD told me that they are planning on using mannequins and ballistic dummies to "enhance" the look of the crowd.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
No. It's not. That's already been exposed as a hoax.

Ah, just saw the description of how they pulled it off. Pretty funny stuff.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

There are conference championships, so that's accurate.

Of course, winning or even playing for your conference championship doesn't matter in the broad sense to the outcome of the national title, but I guess it's good for bragging rights.

I'm sure Brad Edwards or someone has already mathematically proven even this won't matter, but the only interest I have in this weekend, aside from hoping for some good football games, is seeing LSU lose and OK State beat OU by 3 TDs. That would at least generate some potential for movement and controversy.

I still can't believe that out of 60 AP voters, 20 have OK State ranked 5th or lower, several outside the top 10 (as low as 14). That's a total screw job. They might not be better than Alabama, but on total body of work, I think they're probably more deserving than Alabama (assuming they beat OU). The only hope I'm holding out is many skeptical voters are keeping them back waiting to see what happens against OU, and then will move them up if they impress. Otherwise... total screw job.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Question: If Georgia wins the SECCG, they get an automatic BCS bowl bid.
Each conference can only send 2 teams, maximum to the BCS Bowls.

So, would a Georgia win mean that LSU and Alabama cannot both go to the Title game? Or can the SEC somehow get 3 teams in the BCS bowls by having 2 of them in the title game?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
digamma
Torchbearer

The rule was changed in 2007 to allow 3 teams. Prior to that the conference champion would have been left out.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Question: If Georgia wins the SECCG, they get an automatic BCS bowl bid.
Each conference can only send 2 teams, maximum to the BCS Bowls.

So, would a Georgia win mean that LSU and Alabama cannot both go to the Title game? Or can the SEC somehow get 3 teams in the BCS bowls by having 2 of them in the title game?

This article has a discussion about the possibility of three teams from the SEC.

MrSEC.com

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-01-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
Ksyrup

The only way 3 teams make it is in this exact scenario - two of them would have to make the title game for the third, which would have to be the conference championship game winner, to also make it.

That may be more of a reason for voters to make sure Alabama and LSU play in the NCG than any unfairness to OK State or another team, because if UGA wins and voters want to put OK State against LSU, then Alabama cannot play in a BCS bowl (or, if LSU gets blown out somehow, and OK State would play Alabama for the title, LSU gets left out of the BCS).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-01-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #11
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
A source close to the Wiscy AD told me that they are planning on using mannequins and ballistic dummies to "enhance" the look of the crowd.

A guy in my class said he and some buddies are going and fillers are paid $9.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #12
Ksyrup

You know, thinking through my last post, college football is so screwed up, that there is LESS of a chance for OK State to play for the title if LSU LOSES than if they win. Think about that.

If LSU loses, UGA is automatically in, and the only way both LSU and Alabama get to play in a BCS bowl is if they both are in the title game. And so my guess is voters would not move OK State (or Stanford, or VT, etc.) up, becacuse then either LSU or Alabama is totally out of the BCS, which I don't think anyone thinks would be right.

But if LSU wins, and OK State beats OU by 3 TDs, then I could see a slim chance that OK State moves to #2, Alabama drops to #3, but Alabama still gets an at-large bid, which would be fair.

So OK State should be rooting for LSU to win. Otherwise, they are likely locked out of the title game.

Bizarre.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

OSU needs to beat the living hell out of OU for a chance. I still think OU wins, but I don't think the margin is that big either way.

A practical thought that won't go anywhere, if the Big 12 was done last week like other conferences, OSU and 'Bama could spend this week playing for a spot against LSU. The "And 1" could be dealt with even after the conference championships so the bowls games have everything sit up from the get go.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
A guy in my class said he and some buddies are going and fillers are paid $9.

Seems surprising to me I guess. Wisky travels very well usually and Id assume the same from Michigan St. I guess the fans just arent as excited about this B10 championship as they are bowl games.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #15
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
If LSU loses, UGA is automatically in, and the only way both LSU and Alabama get to play in a BCS bowl is if they both are in the title game. And so my guess is voters would not move OK State (or Stanford, or VT, etc.) up, becacuse then either LSU or Alabama is totally out of the BCS, which I don't think anyone thinks would be right.

I think you're giving the voters way to much credit in going to the second or third level of thinking this would require.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #16
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You know, thinking through my last post, college football is so screwed up, that there is LESS of a chance for OK State to play for the title if LSU LOSES than if they win. Think about that.

But if LSU wins, and OK State beats OU by 3 TDs, then I could see a slim chance that OK State moves to #2, Alabama drops to #3, but Alabama still gets an at-large bid, which would be fair.

So OK State should be rooting for LSU to win. Otherwise, they are likely locked out of the title game.

Bizarre.

Basically it sounds like Okie St has no chance. I didnt even think of it from this angle but you are absolutely correct.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I think you're giving the voters way to much credit in going to the second or third level of thinking this would require.

It's also overthinking it.

I believe the voters have made it pretty clear what the top two teams are, and even a fluke loss by LSU to UGAg isn't likely to do anything more than flip which order they consider them.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #18
Ksyrup

It's not overthinking it from a theoretical standpoint. If, for some reason, OK State had a better than slim/none chance of leapfrogging Alabama, I would expect someone to point this out.

I'm not really thinking about it from an LSU perspective, but a "what if OK State does the improbable and blows out OU?" perspective. I think LSU is in, win or lose, but I'm just thinking through scenarios where OK State could jump Alabama. The only way I think voters would allow that is if LSU wins. If LSU loses, they wouldn't give in to the temptation to jump Alabama, if it meant Alabama was out of the BCS entirely.

But yeah, I guess I agree with your general thought that I'm giving the voters way too much credit to think it through like this. But still, I'd expect there to be a few twitter/internet folks who would point this out Saturday night into Sunday, so that some voters would be aware of it.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-01-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's not overthinking it from a theoretical standpoint.

Oh no, that's fine, it's a valid hypothetical/theoretical. I was just trying to say that it isn't going to get that far.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #20
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Seems surprising to me I guess. Wisky travels very well usually and Id assume the same from Michigan St. I guess the fans just arent as excited about this B10 championship as they are bowl games.

Wisconsin gave back 2K in tickets.

http://nebraska.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1301085
Old 12-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #21
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

Crazy. If Michigan had made it, I would have really wanted to go to the first Big Ten Championship Game ever.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #22
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
OSU needs to beat the living hell out of OU for a chance. I still think OU wins, but I don't think the margin is that big either way.

A practical thought that won't go anywhere, if the Big 12 was done last week like other conferences, OSU and 'Bama could spend this week playing for a spot against LSU. The "And 1" could be dealt with even after the conference championships so the bowls games have everything sit up from the get go.

Except OSU hasn't played the second best (or best in a lot of people's minds) team in the conference yet.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #23
Ksyrup

I thinnk Matthean's assumption for his comment is that OK State and OU would have played before this week, and OK State would have won. Obviously, a 2-loss OK State is out of the title game picture.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #24
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I thinnk Matthean's assumption for his comment is that OK State and OU would have played before this week, and OK State would have won. Obviously, a 2-loss OK State is out of the title game picture.

+1. Hence the comment "if the Big 12 was done last week."
Old 12-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #25
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I couldn't convince my wife to let me take a 7 hour road trip to Indianapolis to watch the first ever B1G Championship to watch the Badgers take on MSU.

Game time getting closer.. getting pumped up now.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #26
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
+1. Hence the comment "if the Big 12 was done last week."

Right but that is a huge assumption. Its not like OSU is playing Kansas. So to say this would be a good week for the playoff is completely ignoring that the big 12 saved some of its better games for the final weekend of the season. I am not against a playoff but sometimes the arguments for playoffs (or "+1's") take a lot of liberties with assumptions.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #27
Ksyrup

I think he's talking not only theoretically with respect to this particular season, but in general going forward. Basically, if the Big 12 ended its season a week early, and some team was 11-1 and fighting for a spot in the NCG, then this would be a good weekend for a playoff match-up. But as it stands, the Big 12 season is extended, and that match-up can't occur.

I'm not sure he was expressing any particfular confidence in OK State, other than for this season, if they beat OU and ended up 11-1, they'd be the Big 12's entry in a possible playoff. I don't think this is really about OK State at all, other than they happen to be the team this year (if they beat OU), but what the Big 12 could/should do to facilitate a playoff.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-02-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #28
Easy Mac

oh dabo. (skip to 1:47).

Last edited by Easy Mac : 12-02-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

What the heck, do they randomly interview coaches in the Clemson parking lot after practice or something?

My other initial reaction is that for a question that he said he didn't like, he sure had a long answer.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #30
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

He mentions he had heard about what was said so he might have prepped for it, or just knows his history. SoCar has been vastly a nobody before Holtz showed up.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #31
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

What, no talk about the expected brawn versus brute force matchup of UCLA-Oregon tonight? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Odds that Chris Petersen's name is mentioned as many times as UCLA's #1 running back Franklin. I'll say it's even odds.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #32
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

BEST REGULAR SEASON IN SPORTS.

eyeroll.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
eyeroll.

I see your eyeroll & raise you one.

What else compares, the NB ... oops, nevermind
Old 12-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #34
Swaggs
Coordinator

WVU, with a last second FG win last night over USF, earned a share of the Big East championship.

If Cincy can beat UConn at home on Saturday (Cincy is favored by 10 points), WVU will likely get a shot at the Orange Bowl (and quite possibly vs our old friend Virginia Tech).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #35
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I see your eyeroll & raise you one.

What else compares, the NB ... oops, nevermind

Seriously.

I love MLB, NFL and NCAA basketball, but I'd give them up in a second to have college football year round.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #36
Ksyrup

I think the Dabo/Spurrier "controversy" is a fine example of the stupidity of reacting to something you were told about second-hand, and/or the dangers of reading into something written what clearly wasn't there when spoken.

In writing, it looks like Todd Ellis was giving a full Spurrier quote. When you hear him saying it, it's obvious Ellis himself added the "we ain't Clemson" part. Which, IMO, is standard rivalry smack talk, anyway.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-02-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #37
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Your regular season isn't shit if all of the games boil down to I WONDER HOW THE POLLSTERS WILL VOTE. It's like an election where the results are decided by a three legged race. Each week. Blindfolded. Into a canyon.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-02-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #38
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dabo Swinney's rant over misattributed Steve Spurrier quote creates Twitter stir - Page 2 - ESPN

edit to add: Here's the real telling thing about all this I think
Quote:
Bothered "the quote" was getting attention, when he believed the focus should be on Saturday's ACC title game, the Clemson coach concluded, "So, you can print that, tweet that, whatever."

Your not-rivalry with South Carolina is more interesting than the ACC title game ... I'm pretty sure that says something about the state of the landscape in college football.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-02-2011 at 12:16 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #39
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
WVU, with a last second FG win last night over USF, earned a share of the Big East championship.

If Cincy can beat UConn at home on Saturday (Cincy is favored by 10 points), WVU will likely get a shot at the Orange Bowl (and quite possibly vs our old friend Virginia Tech).

Now if OU would beat OSU and WVU beats VT, we get to see what people would do trying to decide between 'Bama and Stanford who gets to go to the title game when neither won their conference.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #41
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Seriously Fox? A 30 minute pregame show for a "championship" game featuring a 6-6 UCLA team with a lame duck coach?

I'm sure the block was scheduled for no matter who got there. What would you prefer they do? Just run 30 min of ads? An hour-long Stanford special? P0rn?

Also, isn't that the beauty and magic and grandeur of what makes this sport so fantabulous? That on any given Saturday or Thursday or Friday that someone might beat someone else with a clever title attached to the game like The Hateful Family Reunion or some such? I mean, it's these money grabs sacred events that protect us from an educationally degrading playoff, right? Let us herald those South Division champions of the Pacific-12!

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-02-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #43
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think you'll find many college football traditionalists that will argue in favor of "conference championship games".

That said, this game would have looked far more appealing had USC not been on probation...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #44
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
That said, this game would have looked far more appealing had USC not been on probation...

I dunno, then people would be screaming because this game was already played 2 weeks ago.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #45
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Seriously Fox? A 30 minute pregame show for a "championship" game featuring a 6-6 UCLA team with a lame duck coach?

I wouldn't put anything beyond Fox for a pre-game. You saw their Champions League final pre-match last year, right?

Worst pre-game in the history of sports, ever.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You'd prefer more commercials in-game? That's probably the option in lieu of the additional inventory that the pregame provides.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #47
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I don't think you'll find many college football traditionalists that will argue in favor of "conference championship games".

I imagine you're right about that.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #48
bhlloy
Coordinator

UCLA plays really well on downs 1-3 and then decides to put 6 defenders out on fourth down and gives up the easiest 40 yard run I've ever seen. This could get ugly.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #49
bhlloy
Coordinator

lol, or not
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote