Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-02-2005, 02:59 PM   #1
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Atlanta Big Show

Anyone in Atlanta listen to this? I think it's sports.

I'm listening to the Boston show down at radio row from Jacksonville and they are sitting next to these guys.

It's unreal how loud they are. They like bark into the microphones and yell every 5 seconds. You can hear them on the Boston broadcast. I think they had to call the security guys to get them to calm down.

rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:02 PM   #2
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Is that Cotter and Dimino? Meh, it could be worse...it could be Buck Belue and that assclown he has for a partner.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
Suicane75
Coordinator

Sounds like compelling radio.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:03 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

LOL, I think I just bought spots in that show.
I believe that's Chris DiMino & Chris Cotter
http://790thezone.com/People/People.aspx
Old 02-02-2005, 03:04 PM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

the Boston sports guys are yelling at them while on the air because the Atlanta guys are so loud and obnoxious.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:06 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I suspect the Boston guys just don't like DiMino because he's from Brooklyn
Old 02-02-2005, 03:06 PM   #7
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I don't know but you could clearly hear them barking - dog barking - every 30 seconds.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:09 PM   #8
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
I don't know but you could clearly hear them barking - dog barking - every 30 seconds.
Sounds like the 2 Live Stews.

AIGHT! AIGHT! AIGHT!

Edit - The Stews are from 1 to 4, so what you were hearing was probably the end of their show.

Last edited by VPI97 : 02-02-2005 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:11 PM   #9
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Could be. They weren't sure of the name of the show. Just they were from Atlanta.

1-4 sounds about right. This has been going on all afternoon.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:18 PM   #10
KWhit
Coordinator

Yeah, that's the stews you're talking about. Horrible show, IMO.

But I like the Big Show.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:22 PM   #11
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
Yeah, that's the stews you're talking about. Horrible show, IMO.

But I like the Big Show.
I like the Stews

I used to despise DiMino when he was partnered up with Cellini...it was like putting two grumpy old men together and giving them microphones. Everything sucked and everyone's opinion was automatically wrong but theirs....he's better now that he's not with Cellini, but, at times, he still tends to get condescending.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oh crap, I didn't even think to connect this to 2 Live Stews. The dog barks are a dead giveaway, dollar to donuts it was them.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:55 PM   #13
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Oh crap, I didn't even think to connect this to 2 Live Stews. The dog barks are a dead giveaway, dollar to donuts it was them.

Yup.

You're in the DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG HOWWWSE.

AIGHT! AIGHT! AIGHT!

Don't really care to much for the 2 live stews. Like them better'n O'Reilly, which is the other talk show choice in the ATL. Unbelievably, I think they actually managed to get their show on Sirius satellite radio.

I think DiMino is an ass, but he has forgotten more about baseball than most people will ever know. I really enjoy his interviews with some of the older, perhaps lesser known baseball Hall of Famers.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:14 PM   #14
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Sounds like the 2 Live Stews.

AIGHT! AIGHT! AIGHT!

Edit - The Stews are from 1 to 4, so what you were hearing was probably the end of their show.

Those the dudes featured in SI a few weeks back?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:36 PM   #15
Buzzbee
College Starter

Not sure, as I don't keep up with SI. However, I can give you some background and perhaps that will answer your question.

The 2 live Stews are Doug Stewart and Ryan Stewart, and yes they are brothers. Oh, and they are also bruthas. Ryan played football at Georgia Tech and played in the NFL with Detroit for a few years until an injury ended his career. I don't think Doug played college ball. They've been somewhat successful and have managed to get their show picked up by Sirius. JonInMiddleGa would have to tell you how successful they've been.

Their show definitely caters to the bruthas, since it is just Ryan and Doug being Ryan and Doug, but does manage to get some crossover (I think) from general sports enthusiasts.

Hope that helps.

If you care, you can listen to them from 1-4 (eastern) at www.790thezone.com. While you are at it, you might want to listen from 4-7 to Chris DiMino and Chris Cotter. This is especially true during baseball season if you are a baseball fan, as DiMino is a walking baseball encyclopedia.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:39 PM   #16
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Eh... I generally find 790 to be annoying in general. I stick with 680 The Fan. Far better in my opinion. At the very least, they don't talk about what women they want to bang every 20 minutes when I want to hear sports talk!
Old 02-03-2005, 03:38 AM   #17
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I've gotten to where I try my best to work my schedule to where I'm in the office from 1pm-4pm whenever possible, so I can hear the Two Live Stews. I find them to be, by far, the most entertaining thing on the radio. It definitely has a Saturday-morning-at-the-barbershop feel to it.

It's a black thang. You wouldn't understand.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:55 AM   #18
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Those the dudes featured in SI a few weeks back?

Yes, the Stews were in SI, and I'm sure that is who the thread is about not the big show. DiMino wouldn't bark on a microphone (unless you paid him extra).
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 07:14 AM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog

That's a pretty good assessment of it I think.

Their show audience skews about 75% black(highly unusual for any sportstalk), while the shows on either side of them are less than 1/3rd black. Their total audience is larger than either of those shows though.

From a sales standpoint, it's a two-edged sword. For broad rotators (i.e. spots that aren't tied to a particular daypart, just somewhere like between 6a-7p) it helps drive up both total audience & total cume (aka the number of people who listened to the station at some point), but on a daypart basis, their cume is significantly lower than the other dayparts, especially when you begin to income-qualify the listeners (the higher the income, the more disparate it appears to be).

Their pretty polarizing for listeners, and they create an interesting conundrum of sorts. Stations like to hold audience as long as possible to increase their TSL (Time Spent Listening) and 2LS looks like a turn off for the regular listeners. At the same time, they're providing listeners that don't use the station any other time. The solution? As an old programmer that one is pretty easy -- get 'em to "turn down the attitude" by about two notches, which is about where it was when they first started. Problem there, and I think it might be a big problem at this point, if they turn it down a little, they might just lose the audience they have while failing to gain anybody they've already turned off.

Y'know, looking at this stuff, I'm reminded that I really don't miss the way I used to make my living
Old 02-03-2005, 07:34 AM   #20
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Their show audience skews about 75% black

Is that an estimate based on the callers (who I'd think are 75% or more black), or from actual market surveys?

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 02-03-2005 at 07:34 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 07:36 AM   #21
Ben E Lou

Dola:

They'll never get me to consistently listen up until 1pm, because of Boortz. I'd be curious to know how many black folks in the Atlanta area listen to him. I have a feeling that the percentage is higher than most would guess for conservative/libertarian talk radio.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:40 AM   #22
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Is that an estimate based on the callers (who I'd think are 75% or more black), or from actual market surveys?

Real numbers (past six months combined). IIRC, because I've taken a cursory look at the subject before, the trend is more pronounced now than ever.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:50 AM   #23
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Real numbers
Old 02-03-2005, 07:57 AM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dola:

They'll never get me to consistently listen up until 1pm, because of Boortz. I'd be curious to know how many black folks in the Atlanta area listen to him. I have a feeling that the percentage is higher than most would guess for conservative/libertarian talk radio.

You might be disappointed.

11% of both his average quarter-hour audience & total cume audience is black.

That works out to about 5.7% of P18+/Black who ever listen between 830a-1p, and about 1% of the demo listening at any time during the show.
Interestingly, when you put an income qualifier on that, say
P18+/Black/HHI $50k+, it only bumps it to 6.4% cume., and at $75k+ it jumps to about 8.5%

For comparison, about 20% of all P18+/Other (i.e. White) listen at some point, about 22% of P18+/Other/HHI$75k+ (an income figure that includes nearly half the WP 18+ in Atlanta BTW).
Old 02-03-2005, 09:09 AM   #25
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
I've gotten to where I try my best to work my schedule to where I'm in the office from 1pm-4pm whenever possible, so I can hear the Two Live Stews. I find them to be, by far, the most entertaining thing on the radio. It definitely has a Saturday-morning-at-the-barbershop feel to it.

The few times I've been home and heard them, I've enjoyed them. I've heard them have Wes Durham, who does play by play for Georgia Tech and may be the whitest man who ever lived, on (I think he is a regular one of the days during the week), and man, does that make for entertaining radio.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:11 AM   #26
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
The few times I've been home and heard them, I've enjoyed them. I've heard them have Wes Durham, who does play by play for Georgia Tech and may be the whitest man who ever lived, on (I think he is a regular one of the days during the week), and man, does that make for entertaining radio.
Man, I definitely wouldn't call Wes the whitest man who ever lived. He's got that white-boy-with-an-attitude thing down pat. He's doing play-by-play for the Falcons as well now, so I'm quite familiar with him.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:18 AM   #27
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Man, I definitely wouldn't call Wes the whitest man who ever lived. He's got that white-boy-with-an-attitude thing down pat. He's doing play-by-play for the Falcons as well now, so I'm quite familiar with him.

That was maybe a stretch (or then again, maybe the Falcons have given him a little bit of soul).
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:23 AM   #28
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
(maybe the Falcons have given him a little bit of soul).
Actually that may be the case. At the playoff game that GrantDawg and I attended, I heard Li'l' John, Dre, Snoop, Usher, and Ludicrous, among others, coming from the PA. Just from watching games at other stadiums, the Falcons seem to have the some of the blackest crowds in the league.

Jon: I'm guessing my Boortz-meter is skewed because he lets callers who disagree with him go to the front of the line, so it seems like the callers are 20-30% black. Plus, I figured Boortz was getting more spill-over listeners from The Royal Treatment.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 02-03-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:31 AM   #29
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

So black people yell a lot?

Last edited by rkmsuf : 02-03-2005 at 09:31 AM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:38 AM   #30
Ben E Lou

Quote:
So black people yell a lot?
Culturally, you are talking about a FAR more "expressive" one than white culture. A nearly all-black gathering is usually *much* louder than a nearly all-white one.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:43 AM   #31
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Culturally, you are talking about a FAR more "expressive" one than white culture. A nearly all-black gathering is usually *much* louder than a nearly all-white one.

Heh, this is a subject that is the source of much laughter with one particular friend of mine. We often use each other as the sounding board for "why do you folks do that" questions, something that began with the planning of a party at my house which left him with a number of questions he'd been dying to ask for years, things about "Why do white folks ...".

{Some of which were "why do white folks" questions I had wondered a few times myself }
Old 02-03-2005, 09:44 AM   #32
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

Sadly, Soul Man failied to explore this topic so I was unaware.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:08 PM   #33
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Sadly, Soul Man failied to explore this topic so I was unaware.

He played those Beach Boy records loud.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 04:53 PM   #34
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I wonder... I know the Two Live Stews are loud and stuff, but there are a few shows on 680 where you have one white guy and one black guy (Rude and Dukes, Fro and El). Is it a case of with two black guys, they feel more comfortable in being all loud and expressive?
Old 02-03-2005, 05:38 PM   #35
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
I wonder... I know the Two Live Stews are loud and stuff, but there are a few shows on 680 where you have one white guy and one black guy (Rude and Dukes, Fro and El). Is it a case of with two black guys, they feel more comfortable in being all loud and expressive?
I'd say most definitely. Plus, in this case, my guess is that the very idea of the show was to be a very "black" show.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:44 PM   #36
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Btw, I think more people would listen if they didn't do that inane dog barking thing... that always bothers me .
Old 02-03-2005, 06:19 PM   #37
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Fro and El's Guys Night Out is, by far, my favorite show on Atlanta radio. It's the only one besides Rude and Dukes that I can stand to listen to for the entire show.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:27 PM   #38
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I guess I prefer Rude and Dukes, but Fro and El are good as well. I usually end up listening mostly to Buck and Kincaid, since they are on during the ride home. I think I like them more than most people .

Perry and Dooley, on the other hand... ugh.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:30 PM   #39
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
I guess I prefer Rude and Dukes, but Fro and El are good as well. I usually end up listening mostly to Buck and Kincaid, since they are on during the ride home. I think I like them more than most people .

Perry and Dooley, on the other hand... ugh.
I cannot listen to Kincaid for longer than 30 seconds anymore. That used to be my top show, but his attitude just grates and grates and grates until I can't stand to hear his voice.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:54 PM   #40
KWhit
Coordinator

Rude and Dukes??!!?!?!?!?!?

Are you f*cking kidding me?
Old 02-03-2005, 08:15 PM   #41
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
Rude and Dukes??!!?!?!?!?!?

Are you f*cking kidding me?
Consider the alternative.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:23 PM   #42
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I like Rude and Dukes .

And yes, look at the alternatives.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:18 PM   #43
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
I cannot listen to Kincaid for longer than 30 seconds anymore. That used to be my top show, but his attitude just grates and grates and grates until I can't stand to hear his voice.

Ditto. I used to listen primarily to 680 back when Max Howell was there. I enjoyed Buck and Kincaid to a large degree. However, with the departure of Max and the arrival of Bill O'Reily I began to look elsewhere. Now when I flip back, Kincaid's obnoxious, egotistical negativity is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Oh, and Buck has given up even trying to feign that he isn't a UGA homer. Blech!

As for Rude and Dukes. I really like Dukes. REALLY. I just can't STAND Rude. Maybe it's because I listened to him for so long on 96 Rock that his shtick is old, but whenever he starts rambling about anything other than sports, I reach for the dial.

I do like Ellinger, but think Fro is an idiot. I would like to see how Dukes and Ellinger would pair up. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that after about two weeks, Dukes would pound him into the microphone and out my radio.

FWIW, DiMino and Cotter are usually what I listen to on the drive home, and usually catch their "belly up to the bar" segment. Basically they pose about 5-6 questions that are usually relevant to current events that can be answered with a very short answer. An example might be: Instead of Janet Jacksons boob at halftime, who's boob would you rather have seen? Or, if you could eliminate one rule from the NFL rulebook, what would it be? Likewise, if you could add one rule to the NFL rulebook, what would it be?

In the mornings I flip between Boortz, Mayhem, and Rude and Dukes, depending on my mood and what each is talking about.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:14 PM   #44
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Eh, I'm not too fond of Belly Up to the Bar... I'd like to hear some opinions on the sports news of the day. But as long as they aren't talking about what hot woman they want, I guess I can stomach it .
Old 02-04-2005, 08:09 AM   #45
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Consider the alternative.

To each his own, but I enjoy 790's morning show. I like Southern Comfort and The Big Show better, but I prefer all of 790's shows to 680.

As my dad would say, "That's why they make Fords and Chevrolets."
Old 02-15-2005, 04:56 PM   #46
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Btw, I think more people would listen if they didn't do that inane dog barking thing... that always bothers me .
You obviously weren't a Q-Dog.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:34 AM   #47
Celeval
Pro Starter

I was usually dead on 790 when I was in Atlanta - liked the Stews (but usually only in mid-sized doses... like lunch hour), mostly liked Cotter/Dimino. Baseball season especially.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:41 AM   #48
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Ditto. I used to listen primarily to 680 back when Max Howell was there.

What happened to Max? Max was a good one, although I missed that return to radio. I listened to him with the original 680 The Fan before it was cut off. I also liked the teaming of Jeff Van Note and Larry Munson (although I've never been a Munson fan - at least they would have meaningful topics, which is better than his "insight on sports" segment if you ever hear that on 750...most of it is spent waxing on about his 'movie group' where he goes to see movies each weekend with college girls in Athens).
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:10 AM   #49
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
What happened to Max? Max was a good one, although I missed that return to radio. I listened to him with the original 680 The Fan before it was cut off. I also liked the teaming of Jeff Van Note and Larry Munson (although I've never been a Munson fan - at least they would have meaningful topics, which is better than his "insight on sports" segment if you ever hear that on 750...most of it is spent waxing on about his 'movie group' where he goes to see movies each weekend with college girls in Athens).

I didn't realize he had left the "Southern Sports Tonight" and "Conference Call" radio shows, but apparently he has ...

http://www.maxhowell.com/about.html
MAX’s Current Radio Resume: Max has moved to the Emerald Coast and has created his own morning drive, sports talk show that is heard on the only 100,000 watt FM sports talk station in America. Early trends indicate huge success. He is still a part-time co host with 680 the Fan in Atlanta, broadcasting from his own studio in Florida. Cox Communications is now televising MAX’d OUT live from 6 AM to 8AM and throughout the Emerald Coast on Channel 6 and/or Channel 2. The show is also broadcast by “Live Streaming on this Website.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:17 AM   #50
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That's a pretty good assessment of it I think.

Their show audience skews about 75% black(highly unusual for any sportstalk), while the shows on either side of them are less than 1/3rd black. Their total audience is larger than either of those shows though.

From a sales standpoint, it's a two-edged sword. For broad rotators (i.e. spots that aren't tied to a particular daypart, just somewhere like between 6a-7p) it helps drive up both total audience & total cume (aka the number of people who listened to the station at some point), but on a daypart basis, their cume is significantly lower than the other dayparts, especially when you begin to income-qualify the listeners (the higher the income, the more disparate it appears to be).

Their pretty polarizing for listeners, and they create an interesting conundrum of sorts. Stations like to hold audience as long as possible to increase their TSL (Time Spent Listening) and 2LS looks like a turn off for the regular listeners. At the same time, they're providing listeners that don't use the station any other time. The solution? As an old programmer that one is pretty easy -- get 'em to "turn down the attitude" by about two notches, which is about where it was when they first started. Problem there, and I think it might be a big problem at this point, if they turn it down a little, they might just lose the audience they have while failing to gain anybody they've already turned off.

Y'know, looking at this stuff, I'm reminded that I really don't miss the way I used to make my living
Any update on their audience and success, Jon?

I ask because I believe they're syndicated now, but don't appear to have changed their style much at all.