Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-05-2003, 04:32 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Just sharing...

Tonight is the first home game of the football season. They are officially dedicating the game to Hannah. (You can find a thread with the full story HERE.) I have been asked to read the dedication over the P.A., then offer a prayer. This, and another incident that happened a couple of weeks ago, have made me realized that I haven't fully dealt with the situation for myself. When I originally heard the news, I was at camp with over 50 adolescents from our community, including two very good friends of Hannah's. I think I immediately went into "ministry mode"--being more concerned about how I was going to break the news to the kids and care for them rather than dealing with it for myself. My wife was also out of town on a girls' weekend at the beach, so I had to call and tell her the awful news as well. (Hannah was a kid who was VERY much on Jennifer's heart.) Then, Jen and I both got home the night before the funeral, and kids were calling and coming over ot the house to hang out and process their grief. I don't think I ever allowed myself to grieve personally over this, and it is just starting to come out now I think.

The event that happened a couple of weeks ago was really tough. I was adjusting my database of kids for the new school year. (moving the graduates into an alumni list, moving the new freshmen from the middle school list to the high school list, etc.) I was doing this in preparation for sending a couple of mailouts to kids. I utterly froze when I got to Hannah's name. I knew what needed to be done, but somehow it just didn't seem right to do it. I certainly couldn't be so insensitive as to continue to send mail to their home, but the alternative seemed even worse. Finally, with tears welling up, I did what had to be done.

I deleted her name completely from the database.

In 15 years of doing this, I've NEVER deleted a kid while they were in high school. I know that in that I've beaten the odds, but it was still a very surreal experience. I hope and pray I never have to do it again. Anyway, for those so inclined, I'd sure appreciate your prayers tonight. I'm not looking forward to this.

--Ben

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-05-2003 at 04:42 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 04:38 PM   #2
Vince
Pro Starter

So sorry Ben. My thoughts are with you and yours tonight.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 04:39 PM   #3
Franklinnoble
Banned

I can think of no greater tragedy, and no more painful sort of grief, than having to bury one of your children. I wanna go home and give my son a hug now...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 04:41 PM   #4
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Skydog,

You're absolutely in my prayers, as are Hannah's family and friends. I simply can't imagine losing one of my three kids. I pray I never have to experience that.

Good luck tonight, and God bless.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:46 PM   #5
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

SkyDog:

Good luck man. It's not going to be easy.. but it's going to help.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:31 PM   #6
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Good luck with what you have to do, but while it will be difficult and emotional, draw strength from the knowledge of why it is you that this has fallen to. It is a great honor, it seems to me, to be asked to do something like this for Hannah, her family and the community as a whole. God bless.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:32 PM   #7
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

When things like this have required me to have a role I did not relish; God has always lifted me up to handle the moment. He knows you are a strong person and are looked up to by the youth of your community, and he will see you through this, as I am sure you know.

Mourning and grieving is something I do not do very well, and I always thought it was a sign of strength for me to remain stiff upper lipped. Now as I get older, I see it is a weakness in me and not a trait to be proud of.

Good luck tonight. It is sad that the greatness of life has to have moments like this at all.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 06:39 PM   #8
Buccaneer
Head Coach

There is a place for public prayers, even at school-sanctioned events, despite what critics say. Be filled.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 06:57 PM   #9
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

sad story, still touches me everytime I see that thread bumped to the top and I don't even know the girl. I can't even imagine how sad it can be for you. You're in my thoughts, Ben...

FrogMan
Old 09-05-2003, 07:39 PM   #10
samifan24
Pro Starter

You have my prayers tonight, Ben. I hope you find peace. Those kids and that community are lucky to have you, please just take care of yourself after you're done taking care of everyone else. Good luck tonight.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:52 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Prayers for you and the others trying to cope with this situation.
May you all find peace.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:20 PM   #12
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

My prayers are with you. I know you did well.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 10:02 PM   #13
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ben, I'm sure you did Hannah proud.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:04 PM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

My prayers are with you as well.

Take care.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 11:15 PM   #15
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Update:

My voice cracked and I had to speak through tears for the last few sentences, but it was appropriate. The cheerleaders lined up as they would have with Hannah there, with her megaphone in place, filled with flowers. Here's the text I ended up with:

Quote:
We'd like to take a moment to remember a dear friend, classmate, family member and teammate....Hannah Elizabeth Dodd.

Hannah's friendly nature and cheerful disposition made her special not only to her Tucker High SChool family but to many from the St. Pius family of students and parents as well. So, tonight, we all feel the loss.....yet we share in the joy of knowing such a delightful young lady as Hannah Dodd.

We have not forgotten...

Hannah's cheerleading megaphone stands in her place on the track.

We have not forgotten...

Hannah's initials have their place on the back of each Tiger football helmet.

We have not forgotten...

Our friend, our teammate, our Hannah. We remember, with a smile in our hearts.
Then, after a brief prayer, a little sophomore girl with a voice like an angel sang the National Anthem a capella. It was absolutely stirring. I don't think there was a dry eye in the place when it was over.

I felt lucky to get to do it.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:34 PM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Nicely said. I don't know how you did it, just reading your post made me sad. You're a strong person and definitly someone who is admired by many after your speech tonight.

Wow, truly sad.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 12:10 AM   #17
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Update:

My voice cracked and I had to speak through tears for the last few sentences, but it was appropriate. The cheerleaders lined up as they would have with Hannah there, with her megaphone in place, filled with flowers. Here's the text I ended up with:

Then, after a brief prayer, a little sophomore girl with a voice like an angel sang the National Anthem a capella. It was absolutely stirring. I don't think there was a dry eye in the place when it was over.

I felt lucky to get to do it.

Goosebumps just reading.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 12:55 AM   #18
General Mike
Pro Starter

I read through the original thread for the 1st time just now, and I have to say how sad it made me feel. It reminds me of a situation that happened with a friend of my brother. I don't really know what else to say.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote