Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Baseball scoring questions.

Batter hits a fly ball to the outfield, runner tags and scores. Obviously called a sac fly, batter is not charged with an AB.

Batter hits a ground ball out to the 2nd basemen, runner from 3rd scores, batter is charged with an AB

With runner on first, batter bunts, runner advances. Batter gets credit for a sacrifice, not charged with an AB

With runner on first, batter grounds out to the 2nd basemen, runner advances to 2nd. Batter is charged with an AB.

With runner on first, batter flies out to the outfield, runner tags from first and moves to 2nd. Batter is charged with an AB.

I guess "that's just the way it's always been!" is the only answer here?

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
gstelmack
Pro Starter

My guess would be that sacrifice involves some form of "intent". Fly ball to outfield to score a run or bunt to move a runner over are essentially the batter giving up or "sacrificing" their at-bat for the good of the team, while the other cases are the hitter swinging away and just not hitting very well.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

And I think the others, where there is no "sacrifice", would be scored as a fielders choice (probably not on the case of the 4th fly ball you mentioned, but still)

Last edited by PackerFanatic : 05-22-2009 at 11:17 AM.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

The one I will never understand is the dropped 3rd strike, and the fact the batter can take 1st. That just seems absolutely silly to me.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
molson
General Manager

If you bunt with someone on base, and they advance, but you're thrown out, the scorer (I think) has the discretion to not award a sacrifice, if it appears you were bunting for a hit.

I don't know if a scorer has a simliar discretion on a ground ball, if you're clearly intending to sacrifice yourself to advance a runner, to award you with a sacrifice.

It's a lot cleaner, I guess, to assume that bunt is for the purpose of sacrificing, and the ground ball was with the intent of a hit that just had a happy outcome.

It's similar with the sacrifice fly, I guess. We just assume that the flyball that scores the runner from third was on purprose, because its really impossible to tell the difference from play to play.

Last edited by molson : 05-22-2009 at 11:20 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Eh, that's basically "completing the put out." Ball needs to be fielded cleanly to result in an out.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If you bunt with someone on base, and they advance, but you're thrown out, the scorer (I think) has the discretion to not award a sacrifice, if it appears you were bunting for a hit.

I don't know if a scorer has a simliar discretion on a ground ball, if you're clearly intending to sacrifice yourself to advance a runner, to award you with a sacrifice.

It's a lot cleaner, I guess, to assume that bunt is for the purpose of sacrificing, and the ground ball was with the intent of a hit that just had a happy outcome.

It's similar with the sacrifice fly, I guess. We just assume that the flyball that scores the runner from third was on purprose, because its really impossible to tell the difference from play to play.

With a runner on 3rd, and less than 2 outs, obviously the most ideal option is to get a hit. I guess walking would be secondary(although that does increase the odds of a double play). It's just odd that making sure to not pull the ball and get the runner in is penalized, whereas "Im trying to hit deep fly ball" is condition free.

And the SF or Bunts are counted against the OBP and SLG(I think), but not the Batting Average.

Last edited by stevew : 05-22-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
With a runner on 3rd, and less than 2 outs, obviously the most ideal option is to get a hit. I guess walking would be secondary(although that does increase the odds of a double play). It's just odd that making sure to not pull the ball and get the runner in is penalized, whereas "Im trying to hit deep fly ball" is condition free.

And the SF or Bunts are counted against the OBP and SLG(I think), but not the Batting Average.

The reason for the latter is that OBP is a function of times reached base divided by total plate appearances (hits + sacrifice hits + walks + HBP/PA) while BA is strictly hits/AB. OBP counts everything, BA counts only times reached base divided by the number of times the ball is put in play in a non-sacrifice situation.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #9
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
The reason for the latter is that OBP is a function of times reached base divided by total plate appearances (hits + sacrifice hits + walks + HBP/PA) while BA is strictly hits/AB. OBP counts everything, BA counts only times reached base divided by the number of times the ball is put in play in a non-sacrifice situation.

OBP doesn't credit getting on base due to a defensive error I think. Maybe it should. Perhaps low HR/BB/K hitters create more defensive errors over the course of a season by putting more balls in play, or maybe faster players make the defenders nervous or cause more rushed throws.

Last edited by Big Fo : 05-22-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
OBP doesn't credit getting on base due to a defensive error I think. Maybe it should. Perhaps low HR/BB/K hitters create more defensive errors over the course of a season by putting more balls in play, or maybe faster players make the defenders nervous or cause more rushed throws.

No, but it doesn't count towards BA, either. Both OBP and BA take a ding there.

I think defensive errors are generally regarded as "your ass should have been out. Be happy you're on base, but don't expect any brownie points."

Last edited by SackAttack : 05-22-2009 at 02:01 PM.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote