Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Credit Score Question

Is there any way to get my credit scores without signing up for a "free" privacy service? I got my free credit report, but it doesn't include scores. Anybody know?

JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

"Apply" for an auto loan at your bank if you're really wanting to know without too many hassles.

Last edited by mauchow : 05-21-2009 at 10:58 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I haven't tried it, but AnnualCreditReport was the one I heard was run by the credit card companies at the behest of the government. The FTC backs it up The Federal Trade Commission's Information on Free Annual Credit Reports
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:26 PM   #4
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I haven't tried it, but AnnualCreditReport was the one I heard was run by the credit card companies at the behest of the government. The FTC backs it up The Federal Trade Commission's Information on Free Annual Credit Reports

You can get a free, no-strings-attached credit report there, but they won't give you your credit score.

You have to pay for the FICO credit score (and make sure it's FICO, a lot of those freecreditreport.com type places just give you some random number they make up themselves.)
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Fair-Issac is the only legit FICO. There is something called an auto adjusted FICO too, if you want a car.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:42 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
"Apply" for an auto loan at your bank if you're really wanting to know without too many hassles.

That would actually ding your report, not much, but still.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
You can get a free, no-strings-attached credit report there, but they won't give you your credit score.

You have to pay for the FICO credit score (and make sure it's FICO, a lot of those freecreditreport.com type places just give you some random number they make up themselves.)
I didn't know there was a difference - shows what paying/being paid in cash and meticulously avoiding credit cards and even checks has gotten me. I'm gonna be so screwed if I ever try to secure an auto loan or home mortgage
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #8
RainMaker
General Manager

The only place you can get your actual FICO score is at myfico.com. The rest are what's called FAKO scores. They do their best to essentially guess what your FICO score is. I've seen it be real close but also seen 30-40 point differences in the two.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:14 AM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Eh. As long as you pay your student loans on time and avoid collections on stuff like old phone bills you'll be just fine
Quote:
I didn't know there was a difference - shows what paying/being paid in cash and meticulously avoiding credit cards and even checks has gotten me. I'm gonna be so screwed if I ever try to secure an auto loan or home mortgage
Old 05-22-2009, 05:03 AM   #10
DanGarion
Coordinator

I'd suggest you check out Credit Karma, it's pretty cool and free.

FREE Credit Score & FREE Credit Tools. No Credit Card Needed
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #11
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Thanks. I think the whole credit score is a ripoff, but it's what I need to get a place to live. At least my wife found a coupon code for MyFICO that took a few bucks off.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #12
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Just walk into a car dealership and ask to test drive the most expensive POS on the lot....run the report and ask for a copy. They have to provide you a copy.

It will ding you 1-3 points the brackets are 50+ points wide
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #13
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Here are recommended places you can get your scores:

Source Cost Description Score range
ANNUAL CREDIT REPORT SERVICE
Congress recently established this outlet to make it easier for consumers to get their credit reports and credit scores from the three national credit reporting agencies.

Web:AnnualCreditReport
Phone: 1 877 322 8228
U.S. Mail:
Annual Credit Report Request Service
P. O. Box 105281
Atlanta, GA 30348-5281 The price for credit scores is being determined by the Federal Trade Commission Credit Reports and Scoring.

One free credit report per year from each credit reporting agency.
Each credit reporting agency offers a different type of credit score to consumers. FICO score via:
Equifax 300-850
Experian score 330-830
TransUnion score 150-934

MYFICO.COM
The consumer Internet site of Fair Isaac Corporation which developed the FICO score.

Web: myFICO - FICO Credit Scores | Get a Free Credit Report Online
$14.95 for one FICO score and credit report. $44.85 for all three FICO scores and credit reports from the three credit reporting agencies (2005 pricing). This score is most often used by lenders. It lets you see how prospective lenders would evaluate your credit history. FICO score from Equifax, Experian and/or Trans Union 300-850

INDIVIDUAL CREDIT REPORTING AGENCIES:

Equifax
Web: Equifax: Credit Reports, Credit Scores, Protection Against Identity Theft
Phone: 1 800 685 1111

Experian
Web: Credit Report and free credit score at Experian.com
Phone: 1 866 200 6020

TransUnion
Web: TransUnion - Check Your Credit Report and Credit Score Online, Instantly and Securely
Phone: 1 800-888-4213
Prices for credit scores with credit reports vary from $14.95 to $34.95 (2005 pricing). Each credit reporting agency offers a different type of credit score to consumers. FICO score via:
Equifax 300-850
Experian score 330-830
TransUnion score 150-934

MORTGAGE LENDERS
Credit Score is free when applying for mortgage or home equity loan. This score will likely be the actual score used to evaluate your application. Ask your lender to be sure. FICO score from Equifax, Experian or Trans Union 300-850
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #14
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:

Get an American Express card (the classic type, not the "Blue" or any other crap like that) and make a habit of paying for things like gas, groceries, etc. with it.

I had the same problem for years as I would (gulp)...actually save my money and then buy it when I had the money for it. But I got sick of things like cell phone & utility co's requiring deposits, getting less than optimal auto loan rates, etc.

Using Amex frequently (and paying it promptly every month) helps to show sustained credit-usage & increase your credit score without actually being an interest-bearing burden. Just be sure to treat it like you would the money in your bank account.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote