Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Back Surgery Question(s)

The Mrs is going in for surgery on Fri..

She is having a couple of her vertebrae shaved so the herniation's fall back into place and alleviate her pain.

I am wondering

1) Has anyone had this done, or know someone close to them that has?

2) What is the recovery time?

The Doc is saying she should be down for 4 days and then moving around, we don't have little ones that need carrying, but she will have to start driving if possible on Tues because I have to go back to work (Commission based sales job, if I am out, no money being made)

3) Pain with the surgery?

How is the pain related to the surgery, how has the pain left after the surgery.

I am mainly concerned if I have to take more time off, it kills the pocket book, but I need to be with her if it is not like the doc says it is.

MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I'm sorry I can't give you any specific information, I've had a lingering back problem that I've been blissfully ignoring.

However, I guess the first question that pops into my mind is, "Is the surgery open or arthroscopic?" Quite often people say they have less pain with the arthroscopic surgeries (in general), but I couldn't judge that. I have a friend who had herniated disc surgery done arthroscopically and he said it wasn't bad. But I don't know how similar his procedure was to your wife's.

The other thought that comes to mind is that it sounds a little like bone spur removal surgery. I had a big spur removed from one of the bones in my hand, the pain from that was pretty easy, though I've had a lot of surgeries so maybe I'm biased, plus it's never been in my back... I was back at work the next day, though not really using my hand. By the following week (I think I had the surgery on a Thursday), I was feeling mostly alright.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, and good luck to your wife!
/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Sgran
High School Varsity

Can't help much with surgery knowledge, but I encourage everyone with back/neck pain to try yoga. It has done wonders for me, alleviating back pain and restoring movement, particularly in my neck. I should mention that I take a type of yoga specifically designed for this purpose.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Yeah, my wife has tried everything...

Here is where the scary part was...the MRI was 1 1/2 weeks ago..the DR personally called and told her that she was being referred to a Neurosurgeon. Last Wednesday she went to the Dr, he looked at her MRI, the report and ran some testing and wanted to schedule her for surgery that Friday, I wasn't in town so they have her placed for this Friday.

It was severe enough that both doctors have stated they can't believe she is not paralyzed from the waist down.

SO, we have finally opted for Surgery 9 yrs later.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:03 AM   #5
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Bleh, on the way to the hospital...

She is scared as usual and barely slept last night..
Old 05-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Bleh, on the way to the hospital...

Keeping you both in my thoughts for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Hope everything goes well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru
You know, even though I've had 10 surgeries at this point, and expect at least 1 more this year alone, I always get nervous right before the surgery. Not as much the night before, but definitely day of. Admittedly, I have had some...complications with surgeries before, but it always strikes me as odd as to how anxious I get, given how many I've had.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Best of luck for your wife Dennis.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Thanks for the well wishes, we are home now, the surgery went well according to the doc, once the bad parts were removed everything shifted back into place and he said she should notice that her pain is gone once the surgery pain wears off.

We will see, she almost passed out from the pain with me walking her to the room.

Since I am playing nursemaid, I will be right by her side with the laptop for the next few days.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

well at least it'll hopefully correct the problem!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks for the well wishes, we are home now, the surgery went well according to the doc, once the bad parts were removed everything shifted back into place and he said she should notice that her pain is gone once the surgery pain wears off.

We will see, she almost passed out from the pain with me walking her to the room.

Since I am playing nursemaid, I will be right by her side with the laptop for the next few days.

Glad things went well! Give her our best.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Good luck Dennis and Mrs. Macro

I had back problems bad enough to need an epidural so I can only imagine what she is going through.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #13
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

Glad to hear it went well.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote