Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

2009 FOFC Softball Thread

'Tis the season!

Three games this weekend to kick off the year. Subbing on Thursday, and Friday and Sunday are regular teams. We should be good this year, as we have a majority of both teams back (Sundays we were runner ups, Friday's we were 3rd) We have one person over 25, and all of us are entering our third year in softball. I have a feeling we'll do a lot of damage this year.

I am holding down 4th in the linup and playing LF/RF depending on game.

I know others are out there, so who's playing?

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I played four nights a week the last two years but am cutting back to 1 or 2 with the newborn. Third base here and fourth or fifth in the lineup depending on the night.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
Travis
Pro Rookie

Softball or slo-pitch? If it's the latter we're probably getting started in about a month (did I mention that I *loved* waking up to it snowing today?). I missed the last two months of last year with a broken leg so I'm pretty much raring to go. Got a new bat to break in too.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Softball or slo-pitch? If it's the latter we're probably getting started in about a month (did I mention that I *loved* waking up to it snowing today?). I missed the last two months of last year with a broken leg so I'm pretty much raring to go. Got a new bat to break in too.

Yep.

What bat ya got? About time for a new one, probably a season left in my Demarini.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
Travis
Pro Rookie

We play in an ASA league (and go to a couple ASA tourneys each year) so with the rule changes regarding bats I wanted to grab one of last years models and ended up getting the Easton Synergy SCN9 Stealth. It was one of about 2 or 3 that seemed pretty universally praised when I was doing research last year (only one that was a current year model) and they actually carried them locally (local shops are getting better lately, but still not common to find all of the nicer sticks this far north).

Easton Synergy SCN9 Stealth

Last edited by Travis : 04-14-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

That's the one I want. I'll need reports.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
Travis
Pro Rookie

I've been out to an indoor cage here a few times so far and I like it. Has pretty good pop and feel, especially for being right out of the wrapper. Feels a bit different (it's the first two piece I've used), but I'm not the type to need things to be just so to be able to swing a bat. Going to be a couple weeks yet (hockey this weekend, going to a wedding the next) before I can get out to live hit and see what the distance is like on it but I do have very high hopes.

That said, I'll give you this as a disclaimer. We play with a mat (no strike zone) and usually a 12-15ft arc limit on non fenced diamonds. That said, I'm not exactly what you'd call a line drive hitter. I tend to like to think I can always hit it 10ft past wherever the outfielders are no matter what bat I'm using or where they're standing, heh. I've been working on "situational hitting" a bit more the last few seasons but I'm a pure slugger at heart. So yeah, I should be able to tell you just how high I can sky a ball to the second baseman pretty soon

Last edited by Travis : 04-14-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:51 AM   #8
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Started Sunday after being rained out the previous week. Played second base and batted second.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:57 AM   #9
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I play in a fast pitch league which starts the 1st of May.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I played fastpitch throughout high school and college but just started playing slow pitch. My first game is tonight, and i am super excited about it. Except its an all female league. I really wanted to play co-ed but GoldenEagle was worried I'd get hurt.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
sooner333
College Starter

Just got done playing IM softball which consisted of three double-elimination tournaments, All Men, Co-Ed, and Men's Open (non Greek teams). We beat last year's performance of not winning a game and I believe won five or so this time around. I can't wait until next year.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #12
Travis
Pro Rookie

First practice is tomorrow night, but in doing some looking online, found what will (in a few weeks when I can get one sent here) be my new bat bag.

Tanel 360° RAGE

Last edited by Travis : 04-21-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
DanGarion
Coordinator

Wish my team was going to play, but it looks like after years of them being together it's falling apart... (I've only been with them for 2 years). So I got 3 bats just collecting dust.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #14
DeToxRox
Head Coach

We won Friday night 17-5. I went 2-5 with 2 doubles and 3 RBI. Still getting on top of the ball so I had two ground outs plus a line out.

Sunday we lost 26-20. Terrible weather. Sheets of rain halfway through but it was the 10 PM game so we agreed to finish it. Was 4-5 with a double and 4 RBI. Had a bad error in the field but I am pretty sure everyone did.

Our Friday night team is loaded. This league has been won 4 years in a row by a group of guys who play together 3 other nights. They all rake. I think this year we can take them though because our team is just absurd.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #15
Travis
Pro Rookie

First real practice of the year tonight. Had one a couple weeks ago but due to weather got a brutal turnout (3 total including myself) then had to cancel last week's (as it wasn't even going to be 10˚C out). It's a balmy 17˚C here today, so we'll get our couple hours in, I'll meet 2 of my 3 new players for the first time tonight (the other was 1 of the 3 to show up to the first "practice") and try and get a lineup figured out for our first game.

Which is Wednesday.

Either way, I'm stoked the season is finally here. Now if my knee would just cooperate and stay healthy, things'd be perfect.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #16
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Softball is for women like DeTox.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #17
tarcone
Coordinator

A friend went to a tourney this weekend that some of his friends were playing in. One of the AA division teams out of California was there. He said they were all 6'5" and about 240. All in their 40s.
One guy hit a ball over a 430 foot sign and it was still going. Those guys are amazing.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #18
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
A friend went to a tourney this weekend that some of his friends were playing in. One of the AA division teams out of California was there. He said they were all 6'5" and about 240. All in their 40s.
One guy hit a ball over a 430 foot sign and it was still going. Those guys are amazing.

You happen to know the team name? Just curious if they're one of the teams that comes up for the Edson tournament during the August long. There is some wicked ball at that tournament.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #19
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

1st game of the season was tonight for us. We absolutely crushed them 18-1, that team was horrible. I went 4 for 4 with two doubles and two singles and zero RBI (I'm leadoff hitter). In the field, I was only so-so. I play 3B and did have an error (stupid error where I pulled a Bill Buckner), but had a double play later in the game to make up for it.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #20
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Softball is for women like DeTox.

Your just mad your wife wouldn't let you sign up.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:23 PM   #21
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Played in the rain and mud last night. Great for hitting, horrible for fielding. I went 6 for 8 hitting, but had two errors when my plant foot hit the slip n slide mud.

I took a face first slide into second on a double. First one in almost 16 years.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #22
Travis
Pro Rookie

Opening day for us yesterday. Woke up to a beautiful morning and made the comment, "Well, if it's like last year, it'll be raining by 2."

I was wrong, it was raining by 1. On the plus side, even though it rained pretty good for a while, it wasn't enough for the city to close the fields (they do the official update at 4) so at that point we have to show up and decide what we want to do at game time. By 6 it had started to taper off and by 6:30 (our start time) it was a bit windy, but the rain had stopped for the most part. We played the one new team to our league (only 7 teams this season, so we've got 24 games scheduled and will play at least once, if not twice a week for the summer. I think we only have two weeks off from now until the end of August).

We're the home team and given that we've only been able to get in one practice, I'm very curious to see how our D will look. Mixed bag early as we give up 2 in the first but respond with 7 (max of 7 per inning except for the 7th inning which is open). We trade 0's, then we put up a couple to start to make the game seem like it's going to get out of reach, then the fielding bug hits. A couple of over anxious plays in the outfield lead to 6 for them and suddenly the 11-2 game is 11-8 after 4. The top of our order is coming up relatively empty, but our leadoff hitter smokes a couple of solo shots to help get the offense going again. Our middle trio strokes the ball well all night (aside from one looking K by that groups leadoff hitter) and we push our the score to 18-8 through 6. We don't clean up well though, giving up a couple bobbles and miscues in the top of 7 but never allow the game to get into dangerous territory. In the end it's an 18-11 win for the good guys.

I was hitting in the 7 spot (second cleanup hitter with the way our lineup works) and had a nice night in my first action since last July. 4-4 with a single, 2 doubles and a home run. A tidy 6 RBI night to kick off the season and it wasn't even nice enough to be using my new bat.

Next game is Monday against the league president's team and we play again that week on Wednesday followed by the first of our two weeks off during the season. More updates to follow.

*Note: Sorry I couldn't give the low down on the SCN9 just didn't want to risk using it even though temperature wise it wasn't too bad. Went with the old Anderson Rocket Tech which seems like it'll never break and always does well for me in less than pristine conditions.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #23
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Joined a team for the first time in 15 years. Our first game was Tuesday.

At least I didn't whiff or anything. A hard grounder to short, two easy fly balls to center. So an 0-for-3, ending three different innings, in a game our team won, 14-2.

No plays in the field at all.

Could have been worse. I didn't embarrass myself, my arm still works, and I'm only mildly sore from running. But I'm not at a level where I can help this team much.

It's weird trying to play sports again after 40.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #24
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Joined a team for the first time in 15 years. Our first game was Tuesday.

At least I didn't whiff or anything. A hard grounder to short, two easy fly balls to center. So an 0-for-3, ending three different innings, in a game our team won, 14-2.

No plays in the field at all.

Could have been worse. I didn't embarrass myself, my arm still works, and I'm only mildly sore from running. But I'm not at a level where I can help this team much.

It's weird trying to play sports again after 40.

Where do you play out of Jim?
Old 05-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #25
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Where do you play out of Jim?

Ann Arbor Rec-Ed. Fairly low-level slow-pitch league.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #26
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Ann Arbor Rec-Ed. Fairly low-level slow-pitch league.

Nice. Obviously being about 30 minutes from you I knew we probably would be in different leagues, but worth a shot. I'm playing right now at Liberty Park. Lot of fun, but sadly with the more teams come more douchebags. It's amazing how many people there think Sunday Night softball is their ticket to the Show.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #27
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Played in the rain and mud last night. Great for hitting, horrible for fielding. I went 6 for 8 hitting, but had two errors when my plant foot hit the slip n slide mud.

I took a face first slide into second on a double. First one in almost 16 years.

Good grief, how do you get 8 at bats in a game? How long are your games typically? We play 7 innings or an hour, and generally I might get 3 at bats.

Last night we played 11 innings, time had expired after 6. We kept battling back and forward when the dust cleared we were up 16-15. I was 3-4 with three singles to left field (I'm a very predictable hitter) and a 3 foul at bat (3 fouls = out) Unfortunately we have to bat everybody who shows up and 15 showed girls showed up or i would have gotten more at bats. I love playing third base in slow pitch, I had ball after ball hit at me, and i made a diving catch to end the 8th with the winning run on third base. All the male fans were impressed that a female could dive! Next game tomorrow!
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #28
Poli
FOFC Survivor

It was over two games/hours.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #29
Logan
Head Coach

I'm playing in a casual, co-ed slow pitch NYC league with friends. You're required to play with 4 girls in the field and can't have more than 3 guys hitting in a row. Our first game, the team was terrible but our defense was worse. Every ball was getting through and they kept getting extra bases on overthrows. I had 2 doubles and drove in 2 runs but popped out with the bases loaded and 1 out when we were down 3.

Last week we played a team who pasted another in their opener and we won 12-6. It was a really solid effort all around. Lot of line drives and our defense as a team was great. I had another 2 doubles plus a single, and made a really nice play at 3rd on a hard hit ball down the line. Played an inning at 1B (we had 13 people so rotated a decent amount) and I made a sick scoop on a low throw from our SS and also tricked the ump into giving us the call when I came off the bag a split second early during a bang bang play with the bases loaded and 2 out. I have to thank the home team for that though - they forgot to bring the bases which meant I was pulling my foot off a cardboard box instead of the usual double bag.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #30
Travis
Pro Rookie

Hey all. I started up a dynasty thread for the season here and will be posting my thoughts on the SCN9, the Anderson Matrix and (after cold weather games) the Anderson Rocket Tech. So far not much to report other than I hit really well in our first game with the RT and was just entirely too over eager last night with the SCN9, so while I didn't hit all that well, it certainly wasn't the bats fault, hopefully Wednesday will showcaase it's potential a bit better.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #31
DeToxRox
Head Coach

We're 3-2 on Fridays, in a super competitive league, but we have only scored 16 runs our last 4 games. Thankfully our D has been awesome and we've just given up 10 over that span. I'm hitting about .500 in that league with a HR and about 10 RBI, but we just are trying to do too much up to bat.

Sundays is a different story. We're 2-1, with two rainouts. Our manager actually keeps stats in that league. I'm hitting .769 (10/13) with 2 triples and 2 doubles. I have 8 RBI and 9 runs scored. We should win that league. Our only loss was a 26-20 game in a downpour without two of our regulars.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #32
Logan
Head Coach

We played last night under the lights and lost 9-4. We put up the runs in the first two innings and got shut out the rest of the way. I lead off the inning in two of my three at bats...the first was a solid line drive into left center that I would have turned into a double if I didn't slip on the turf rounding first and then a terrible pop out to 3rd. In the bottom of the 7th and with a runner on 1st, I drilled a grounder up the middle that the female SS made a sick play on and she got the force at 2nd. It's such a difference when the girls can play, especially defense...I believe 4 of their runs came on balls hit into RC that our girls missed and the ball kept on going.

Big turning point in the game came in the bottom of the 6th. We were only down 3 at that point, our lefty cleanup hitter up with a runner on 1st and he ripped a shot into left center that the CF made a ridiculous diving catch on - full web gem quality. Should've been a 2 run HR...and that runner ended up getting thrown out at 3rd on a stupid effort to gain an extra base on a single by the next guy.

I continued to pull in everything at 3B though, which was my lone bright spot.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #33
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Hey all. I started up a dynasty thread for the season here and will be posting my thoughts on the SCN9, the Anderson Matrix and (after cold weather games) the Anderson Rocket Tech. So far not much to report other than I hit really well in our first game with the RT and was just entirely too over eager last night with the SCN9, so while I didn't hit all that well, it certainly wasn't the bats fault, hopefully Wednesday will showcaase it's potential a bit better.

I love my Rocket Tech, I use it a lot regardless of the weather, the bat just kicks ass. My other bat is a DeMarini Evo AX, which is just about broke in.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #34
lungs
Pro Rookie

We'll start on the 19th.

Our manager and sponsor just got hauled in for drunk driving and will be heading to jail.... so we'll see how that affects things.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #35
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Good luck to all of you playing softball this summer. I have never played softball. I'll be bowling instead. I'd start a bowling league thread, but I'm not comfortable being alone. Somebody hold me?
Old 05-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #36
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I am starting the season on the DL. I dislocated my shoulder on Sunday.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #37
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Good luck to all of you playing softball this summer. I have never played softball. I'll be bowling instead. I'd start a bowling league thread, but I'm not comfortable being alone. Somebody hold me?

I am in a bowling league, but my league is during the winter (I live in the North, but am from the south, so don't enjoy most other activities around here in the winter such as ice hockey).

So you and I can both be alone in a bowling league thread, but we'll be posting in it during different months!

Old 05-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #38
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I am in a bowling league, but my league is during the winter (I live in the North, but am from the south, so don't enjoy most other activities around here in the winter such as ice hockey).

So you and I can both be alone in a bowling league thread, but we'll be posting in it during different months!
Oh, that's awesome. I've been in a winter league for the past two years. I am now entering my second year of summer league. I am switching leagues this winter to one that is sanctioned by the USBC. I'm very excited, as I'll finally have a certified average.

But I digest.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:14 PM   #39
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh, that's awesome. I've been in a winter league for the past two years. I am now entering my second year of summer league. I am switching leagues this winter to one that is sanctioned by the USBC. I'm very excited, as I'll finally have a certified average.

But I digest.

Yep, I'm in a USBC league, get patches for every game I bowl over 180 or 200, etc. I'm not that good of a bowler though (according to bowl.com, I averaged 141 the last two years and only 139 this year).. whereas people I bowl with average over 200 (I bowled against one guy who bowled a 299 this season). I mainly just go as an excuse to get out weekly during the winter. I hate being stuck inside and I bowl with some friends from work.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #40
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I am starting the season on the DL. I dislocated my shoulder on Sunday.

What a slacker, I've dislocated both of my shoulders on numerous occasions and I keep playing! SUCK IT UP AND GET BACK OUT THERE KID!
Old 05-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #41
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I had just two hits in five at bats, scoring once, over our two games this weekend. I played some left center before finishing at second base.

Sadly enough, I consider myself an adequate outfielder and I was clearly the best outfielder we had Sunday. I made 4 putouts, including one while I was on my horse going to the fence. After moving to second base (we changed pitchers, and the first pitcher is more of an "outfielder") I made two more putouts while our four outfielders made eleventy billion errors in the field. I think we lost by about 20.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #42
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Yep, I'm in a USBC league, get patches for every game I bowl over 180 or 200, etc. I'm not that good of a bowler though (according to bowl.com, I averaged 141 the last two years and only 139 this year).. whereas people I bowl with average over 200 (I bowled against one guy who bowled a 299 this season). I mainly just go as an excuse to get out weekly during the winter. I hate being stuck inside and I bowl with some friends from work.
Well, this is enough to get me to start a bowling thread later. I invite everyone to come make fun of us.

I averaged 173 this winter. I am setting a goal of 180 for the summer season which starts tomorrow. I hope to get at least one 600 series during the summer, too.

I will blab more about this in a new thread later. I did once try to put a softball in my mouth.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #43
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I did once try to put a softball in my mouth.

While posing like that figure skater in the "cool images" thread?
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #44
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
While posing like that figure skater in the "cool images" thread?
When I'm involved, there's always another layer to the madness.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #45
tarcone
Coordinator

Well, the parents of my 9 yr olds softball team are planning on getting a rec-league, beer drinking co-ed team together for some Friday night fun.
It wont be until mid-Summer to Fall.
I am going to be the pitcher.
I told them I would be the pitcher if I didnt have to wear a hockey mask or shin guards. So lowest level rec league is for me.
No 20 year old Albert Pujols wanna-be types breaking my legs trying to turn a single into a double please.
Man its been about 8 years since Ive played. I cant wait.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #46
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I bowl in the winter too. Won the league championship this year! Thank god for handicaps, as I'm not good at all.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #47
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

We won again tonight to go 2-0 on the season. The score was 9-4, but it was probably the lowest scoring game I've ever been in softball until the 6th inning (1-1).

I went 3 for 3 with 2 doubles and a single, bringing me up to 7 for 7 on the season.. but in the field I have been horrible. I haven't thrown away the ball or anything, but I play 3B pretty close in, and I've been getting to a ton of balls, but not fielding them cleanly to my left. So I end up getting my glove on it, knocking it down and frustrating our Shortstop to no end. I had another double play tonight that I made to make up for things, but still.. ugh.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #48
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We won our first game tonight. After doubling to left center, I scored on a groundball to left field. The throw came to plate and whacked me on my left wrist. Interestingly enough, I found out after the game that I work with the guy who made the throw.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #49
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I am taking off the first season due to an injury. I went out and watched my team play on Thursday and noticed that everyone has switched to the Miken Psycho. I am thinking about getting a new bat for second season, but I am not sure if I am ready to blow another $200+ on a bat yet.

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #50
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Fantom - You play at Liberty?