Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Survivor: Tocantins

Yep, a new season of Survivor premieres tonight (Feb. 12th @ 8:00 EST). Lots of videos where you can see the new participants are up at the official website........

Survivor: Watch Full Episodes and Video and Join the Ultimate Fan Community - CBS.com

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

looking forward to it as always
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I noticed that there are only 16 contestants listed on the website. I believe that previous iterations of late have had 18-20 contestants to start. I wonder what kind of changes they'll be making to the gameplay. Perhaps they'll be moving more towards a conventional game like what they had in some of the early versions of the game. Maybe a non-elimination surprise in a week or two? Perhaps only two players at the final council vote?

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-12-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I look forward to tivoing this, falling hopelessly behind, and eventually tuning in the the finals just so I can get insanely angry at the jury questions.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

They are due for an all stars again.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hope they hold off on that for a while. It's usually more interesting with a new cast.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I noticed that there are only 16 contestants listed on the website. I believe that previous iterations of late have had 18-20 contestants to start. I wonder what kind of changes they'll be making to the gameplay. Perhaps they'll be moving more towards a conventional game like what they had in some of the early versions of the game. Maybe a non-elimination surprise in a week or two? Perhaps only two players at the final council vote?

China had 16 players I believe.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
digamma
Torchbearer

Is this one of Dark Cloud's invented sports?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:51 AM   #9
wade moore
lolzcat

16 used to be the standard cast. After the first All-Stars (i think?) they started bloating the casts. I like the smaller cast.

Still enjoy this show even though it seems to have lost it's appeal with America compared to what it once had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:55 AM   #10
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Funny but we were talking about Friends, Survivor, and Battlestar Galactica the other day. We'll really miss Battlestar Galactica when it goes off the air, and really liked Friends...however, when Survivor moved to Thursday nights and went head-to-head, we went with Survivor. I'm not so sure we'd do that now.

Then again, we have a DVR so we can record two shows at once so it's not an issue now.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #11
LloydLungs
College Prospect

The thing is, in my book Survivor is the best its ever been, MUCH better than when it was popular early in its run. Go back and watch Australia, the second season. The stretch run of that season is unwatchable in retrospect. Other than the Jerri blindside, there is very little in the way of entertainment. It's a strategic black hole. "Nice" people just sit there and wait for their turn to be picked off, week after week.

I do think the casts are lacking the common touch now, but strategy has gotten so good and so refined, it's still a pleasure to watch. Even today's dumber players are at least trying to play and strategize. I think the show will end after season 20, but I really wish it would go on for awhile longer so we could see game tactics mature further.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #12
Swaggs
Coordinator

Anyone still watching this?

I just caught up on the past two and have enjoyed it.

Coach is fun to have along as a villain -- the type of guy you hope gets voted out every week and then, once he does, you get bored with the show.

And, the blonde, cyclist guy is pretty funny during his private moments.

I like what they are doing with Exile Island and think the Taj-Brandon thing could turn into a pretty interesting dynamic if they both make it to the merge. Plus, the fact that they are both independently wealthy makes it interesting.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #13
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I still am watching it. Still fairly early in the season though to have full opinions of people. I don't have anyone so far that I instantly am rooting for though.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Anyone still watching this?

I just caught up on the past two and have enjoyed it.

Coach is fun to have along as a villain -- the type of guy you hope gets voted out every week and then, once he does, you get bored with the show.

And, the blonde, cyclist guy is pretty funny during his private moments.

I like what they are doing with Exile Island and think the Taj-Brandon thing could turn into a pretty interesting dynamic if they both make it to the merge. Plus, the fact that they are both independently wealthy makes it interesting.

Still watching with the Mrs. and enjoying Coach as the villian. AllI can say this guy is got to be the the biggest full of himself human on this planet. I agree Taj is playing a real smart game and it looks like fromt he preview she is going to get even more advantage next week. Maybe she finds one of the hidden idols?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #15
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Been weatching so far. Coach is annoying as hell but I think his "assistant coach" may pass him in the annoyance factor very shortly.

I didn't realize that Brandon also had money (haven't paid close enoughattention to all the back stories) but I did catch the Eddie George's wife part for Taj. Why on earth would she say that? I would think that is one of the last things that you would want to get out in a game like this just to keep the "she doesn't need the money" idea from even entering the picture.

That old lady is also pretty annoying, and stupid to the point of being funny. I can't believe her initial strategy was to find the one time idol so she could be use it the first tribal council and not worrying about trying to blend into the tribe at that point. I actually wish that plan had worked out just so she could see how quickly her ass gets voted out in tribal council number 2.

On another note, how stupid was that one girl when she was talking about the person on their tribe who "didn't make the walk with us to the camp". (I really can't remember the names well enough yet) She actually claimed that she was mad at her because of it. Uh, you voted her "out" of that trip.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #16
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Still watching with the Mrs. and enjoying Coach as the villian. AllI can say this guy is got to be the the biggest full of himself human on this planet. I agree Taj is playing a real smart game and it looks like fromt he preview she is going to get even more advantage next week. Maybe she finds one of the hidden idols?

I'm guessing since Brandon found the one at his camp he tells he where to look at her camp (which would probably mean that they both end up at exile again).
Old 03-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #17
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Still watching. Not to be judgemental, but I would've thought Eddie George would have a hotter wife.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #18
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Still watching. Not to be judgemental, but I would've thought Eddie George would have a hotter wife.

She was in the singing group SWV (who I actually do remember from when I was in Jr. High). I think she said she had just had a baby and was trying to work off the baby weight in one of the first couple of episodes.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #19
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
She was in the singing group SWV (who I actually do remember from when I was in Jr. High). I think she said she had just had a baby and was trying to work off the baby weight in one of the first couple of episodes.

Here is amore kind image of her when they got married a couple of years ago...not to bad actually. I guess babies really do a number on a woman.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #20
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Still watching and enjoying it. I echo what everyone else says about coach. And I also though it was really dumb of Taj to admit she is Eddie Georges wife.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #21
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:

Ah, I remember as well. Sisters With Voices.

Also, the wild doesn't do too well to your looks. I have to remember most people look much better at the finale; a few look better after they've starved for a few weeks.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #22
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Ah, I remember as well. Sisters With Voices.

Also, the wild doesn't do too well to your looks. I have to remember most people look much better at the finale; a few look better after they've starved for a few weeks.

Sugar definitely got hotter as the season went along.

Remember Stephanie, from a few seasons ago (the one whose tribe kept losing and then they brought her back the next season w/ Bobby John)? I remember thinking she was really good looking and then she looked pretty crappy at the finale.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #23
Swaggs
Coordinator

I love the early 90s...

Old 03-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #24
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

"I like 'em BIG! I like 'em CHUNKY!"

- Moto-Moto the Hippo from Madagascar 2
Old 03-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #25
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Okay the last episode I saw had a 3-12-09 air date. Did I miss an episode this week? If not can anyone help me out and let me know when the next episode is going to air?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #26
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Okay the last episode I saw had a 3-12-09 air date. Did I miss an episode this week? If not can anyone help me out and let me know when the next episode is going to air?

no episodes tonight due to the start of March Madness, next episode on a special night, next Wednesday.

FM
Old 03-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #27
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post

Next Wednesday the 25th.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #28
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks guys.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #29
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

That was setting up to be one helluva tribal council and it never happened. Oh, well. Maybe next week.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:16 AM   #30
Thomkal
Head Coach

yeah that was disappointing. But figured Joe was going to have to leave the game ever since they started talking about his injury. Too bad for him, but he seemed on the outside of any alliances so probably wasn't going to last long anyway. I am really wanting Tyson gone now.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #31
Swaggs
Coordinator

Great episode tonight.

Unfortunate outcome, but that is one of the few episodes that I truly was not sure who was going home until the votes were counted. It will be interesting to see what happens down the stretch. Anyone would be smart to keep Coach in the game, because I cannot see him getting any votes in the finals (unless someone feels completely jilted by an ally), but I'm not sure everyone else is going to be able to tolerate him for much longer.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:12 PM   #32
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Hated the outcome tonight. I don't know who I want to win now.

Is coach losing his mind? Maybe this ends when he wakes up one night thinking that one of his stories has come true and he butchers the tribe out of "self defense".
Old 04-16-2009, 11:21 PM   #33
Swaggs
Coordinator

Coach is clearly out of his mind. He apparently got fired from his job because he told his school that he would only be gone a week and some people have said that he told the school he was going to be gone to receive cancer treatments. He has also been quoted as saying that he is going to be the next big thing on the big screen.

I hate that Brendon got knocked out, but it was good television. He, Coach, and Tyson are three of the more interesting/unique characters in Survivor history.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:28 PM   #34
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Great episode tonight, always fun to see a blindside.

Coach is one of the most insane people I have ever seen on this show.

They should give him and the boy scout troop leader their own show.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #35
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm sure a psychologist could go back into Coach's background and find the reason for his extreme need to lie to get attention. He obviously had something early in life that triggers that need.

Yet another Survivor contestant goes down holding an idol. PLAY THE IDOL WHEN IT'S NEEDED! Far too many people overestimate their security in the game.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:26 AM   #36
Thomkal
Head Coach

Not happy with the outcome either. I almost have to walk out of the room or turn the volume down when Coach or Tyler speak anymore. I'm hoping Tyler winning 2 individual challenges in a row will be enough to get people to see him as a threat and get him out of there.

Last edited by Thomkal : 04-17-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #37
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Not happy with the outcome either. I almost have to walk out of the room or turn the volume down when Coach or Tyler speak anymore. I'm hoping Tyler winning 2 individual challenges in a row will be enough to get people to see him as a threat and get him out of there.

I intentionally avoid the teasers for the next episode, so I have no clue what comes next. But Coach and Tyler are getting increasingly cocky with their moves. They're going to make a misstep and face a mutiny where their voting alliance turns on them. It's happened several times before and it will happen again. I'd be shocked if it didn't happen in the next episode or two.

I will say that I've been really disappointed with Taj's failure to emerge as a quiet leader. Early in the game, it appeared that she would control the game. She did make mention last night that her intent was to sit back as long as the other tribe was picking off each other. I still am not sure that's the best situation. She missed a golden opportunity last night. She was thinking more short term (saving herself another week) instead of long term where she could have really solidified an alliance and removed the current threat of Coach and Tyler's alliance.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #38
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Once again, I'm weeks behind without much time to get caught up.

Two questions:
- how far in are we (i.e. how many left)? I think my tivo got messed up during basketball.
- is it worth watching past episodes or should I just jump back in now.

No spoilers please.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #39
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

Two questions:
- how far in are we (i.e. how many left)? I think my tivo got messed up during basketball.

No spoilers please.

There are ummm 8 players left I think? so that would be something like 6-7 more episodes I guess.

This hasn't been a bad season, but not the best ever either. I've enjoyed most of the recent episodes. The early ones were dominated by some very unenjoyable characters I felt but probably necessary to watch to see how the ones left got to where they were.

This last week was the best episode so far this season and overall a really good one I felt.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #40
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

I will say that I've been really disappointed with Taj's failure to emerge as a quiet leader. Early in the game, it appeared that she would control the game. She did make mention last night that her intent was to sit back as long as the other tribe was picking off each other. I still am not sure that's the best situation. She missed a golden opportunity last night. She was thinking more short term (saving herself another week) instead of long term where she could have really solidified an alliance and removed the current threat of Coach and Tyler's alliance.

I agree. Before the merge I mentioned to a friend how impressive she's been as she had set herself up quite well for when the tribes merged, but that's all pretty much gone now. She really needed to ride Brendan to take out Tyler and JT at some point before turning on him.

I think her only shot at doing anything now is to try and pull JT and Stephen back in along with getting Sierra and Erin to knock off Tyler. Tyler has to go if anyone from that group wants to win. He's set himself up very well to take Coach and/or Debbie to the end because I'm sure he realizes he beats both of them easily in the final vote.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #41
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Two questions:

No spoilers please.

I think that you should watch the past two episodes, both of which were very entertaining, and you will be caught up just fine. They merged two episodes ago and there wasn't really much to miss before that (I'm sure nothing that wouldn't be addressed in the "Previously on Survivor" segment). The last two were very good due to Coach getting more and more outlandish and the merge.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #42
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Two questions:

No spoilers please.

FYI......there were no new episodes during the basketball tourney, so you didn't miss anything.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #43
molson
General Manager

This is the first season I've watched since #2 (Thanks TIVO!), and I'm enjoying it. Everything seems a lot more to the point, most everything has to do with the game. Not a whole of subplots involving the contestants.

Last edited by molson : 04-17-2009 at 04:07 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:36 AM   #44
Galaril
Pro Starter

Coach is fucking nutz! Tyson is really cocky but until someone beats him in individually immunity he has thew right I guess. And I agree with Atocep that he will most like want to take ole Deb and Coach since thy have no chance of getting more vote than him. Taj really needs to make a move soon. Sierra is next and then either Erin or Taj. Finally, 4 are looking like JT, Tyson Coach, and Deb maybe Stephen if Coach gets booted. It also looks like the four guys are pulling closer together and may start to get rid of the girls. If I were the ladies Erin, Taj, and Sierra I would try to get Stephen to come over to there vote and at least force as long as one of them wins immunity.

And I don't get what was so endearing about Brenden? He just seemd like another stereotypical Cal health food product owner/pretty boy type.

Last edited by Galaril : 04-18-2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #45
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Stephen looks like this guy I went to college with, James Adams. His middle name was Melvin and one of my roommates found out and started calling him Melvin instead of Jim. Jim also kept a diary, which my roommate photocopied and posted on our bulletin boards. I couldn't read it though since it was in German.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #46
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I think that you should watch the past two episodes, both of which were very entertaining, and you will be caught up just fine. They merged two episodes ago and there wasn't really much to miss before that (I'm sure nothing that wouldn't be addressed in the "Previously on Survivor" segment). The last two were very good due to Coach getting more and more outlandish and the merge.

Agree that the past two episodes should catch you up with what has been going on.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #47
Thomkal
Head Coach

That was one of the most satisfying tribal councils in Survivor history.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #48
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It was nice to watch him get blind sided.

Time for coach to crawl to Sierra for help next week, that should be good.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #49
Groundhog
Coordinator

Holy crap!

I've never in my entire life given two craps about this show, but the girl I've been seeing is addicted and I sat down with her and watched the Dragon Slayer episode the other week, and now I'm god damned hooked... I've watched all the earlier episodes, and I read the recap online about what happened in the latest episode, and I can't believe it! Very much looking forward to watching how that went down...
Old 04-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #50
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Agreed. Usually the public choice to go home (in this case Sierra) knows when they really aren't going home. It was fun to see the shock on her face when she realized she wasn't and the shock on the faces of the people who thought she was going home.