Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-11-2008, 01:14 AM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

New Ice Hockey text sim: GM Hockey 2009

I saw this over at Blues News a new Ice HOCKEY TEXT BASED SIM GM Hockey 2009. Has anyone heard about this before. I guess there is a demo or a trial of 25 times playing the fullversion so people interested can check it out. The developer or the guy at least who made the site has some "interesting" ways to describe the game. It could be good or the ice hockey version of maximum football In anycase links below and it is $30 with a trial like I mentioned.

GM Hockey 2009 presentation

demo full version:http://logiqueeclectic.fr-bb.com/ann...rsion-t545.htm

Last edited by Galaril : 10-11-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
Danny
Head Coach

Wow, a lot of interesting features. From looking at and reading about the screenshots, this sounds like it would be a really fun game if executed well.

Last edited by Danny : 10-11-2008 at 02:34 AM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:07 AM   #3
Icy
Pro Starter

Looks really interesting and i'm in full hockey fever thanks to NHL09, will give the demo a try.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

It ain't bad but the translation is horrendous..

Does anybody know if theres any future eastside hockey stuff in the pipeline?

or at least direct me to a site that does

Last edited by Apathetic Lurker : 10-11-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:03 AM   #5
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

sorry, this here makes it a pretty crazy kind of game:

I mean, come on...

sigh...

FM
Old 10-11-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Has there been a sports text sim where you can actually die?

And then you can pray to be resurrected? lol

Last edited by Ajaxab : 10-11-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
Logan
Head Coach

Hahahahahahahaha. That's all I got.

Oh, and someone please find a way to speed up the original EHM because I'd still be playing it. Thanks.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
duff88
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Hahahahahahahaha. That's all I got.

Oh, and someone please find a way to speed up the original EHM because I'd still be playing it. Thanks.

The freeware? It's pretty damn fast, you can go through a season in like 4 hours. Just turn on manually updated stats, turn off computer team news and turn on news reset monthly.
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
sorry, this here makes it a pretty crazy kind of game:

I mean, come on...

sigh...

FM

Eh... This actually makes me want to play it more.So the developer is a militant Quebecoius. I'll play it hoping to see Western New York break off from the rotten downstate area and become rich selling hydropower and keeping all the profits. Sigh...dreams...But its the translations that are killing me.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #10
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

Wow, I don't know... the translation may be rough, but aren't you all intrigued by this game? Whether it is viable long-term, with prospect development and whether the AI is worth a damn is something to take a look at for sure... seems like eveything is tweakable... I guess we need a patient soul to run this through some tests and see if it has potential... at the least, it does deserve a sniff or two...

Anyway have insights on the game? Especially the development of players and the AI's ability to draft/trade/sign players both in the short and long term...
kserra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #11
duff88
College Prospect

From a personnal point of view, I played the french version a few years ago and wasn't overly impressed; the good stuff is lost among a ton of useless features, and the engine was far from perfect. There were some good ideas, but it seems like the developper had a hard time figuring out what was good, and what should be left out.

I'm sticking to EHM.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #12
Danny
Head Coach

I played through 9 games of the regular season. So far results seem realistic. The game has some fun ideas and I actually like the idea that personalities die, and the little extra random things that a lot of people might find silly or not like. The fantasy hockey aspect was a fun thing that it would be interesting if other games added.

What I don't like most so far is not being able to sim a period of time or be able to have the computer pick for me or at least see a list of players by an overall rating in the initial player dispersal draft. I also don't like that I can't automate any of the strategies/features for my team.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks Danny.. look forward to hearing more.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #14
Danny
Head Coach

Another gripe. You always have to keep the minimum position requirement on your roster. If a player gets hurt (even if it's only for 2 games) you have to call up someone else. Then if that injury puts you under say 4 centers, the player called up either needs to be a center or you need to convert a player with a possible ratings loss. You can't just have someone fill in for a game or two at another position.

Also to note, while I don't mind, you don't play out your games. You get a period by period update and then towards the end of the game it always has a scoring chance or two listed and whether or not the goal was scored. There is no user action inside of a game.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #15
Danny
Head Coach

The newspaper feature is really nice. Along with little updates and small touches to make the interactions feel real. The game actually integrates past events into its news and analysis.

The visual/graph displays of player progression for stats/attributes and the bar graph depth chart are also nice.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Oh.. and real players?
Old 10-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #17
Danny
Head Coach

Yes, it has all real players and coaches.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #18
Danny
Head Coach

Overview of GM desk

I just noticed the finance stuff in GM desk. You set prices for everything (tickets, beer, popcorn, hotdog, etc) and it shows you where you rank in the league. It allows you to pick sponsors, and select a television contract. You have to reach a certain market share from your television contract or you lose money. It also had a couple nice graphs for attendance and tv market share.

There is a matchups screen which shows your record and you matchup with every other team in the league.

There is a GM Desk which shows your popularity, influence, respect, ability to negotiate. It also allows you to ask a favor of Fat Tony (potential sabotage against another team) or allows you to blame or congratulate a coach or player in the newspaper. There is another screen which shows the presidents, fans and players faith in you.

Other screens in this in this category are GM History and GM records. The records includes TONS of records both for players playing for you while you are GM and your performance.

The last screen here is the GM pool which I mentioned before. This is the fantasy league. You draft a team of fantasy players from various teams across the league and compete in this pool with all the other GM's. There is bonuses for finishing in one of the top 3 spots such as "respect attribute raised to the max".

Here's one interesting random event that just happened as an example. Yesterday, one of my lesser forwards was robbed and his juniors trophies were stolen so that affected his mood. I think the random events are cool, but there is a slider if you don't like them. It also allows you to purchase additional seats and make upgrades
Old 10-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #19
Danny
Head Coach

In the archives there is history for the draft, awards, full transactions including trades, signings and waivers, records book and referee results.
The options includes tons of option for the AI and almost every other aspect other than automating tasks.

There is also full World Championships though I haven't gone through that yet, so all those options are grayed out.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #20
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Another gripe. You always have to keep the minimum position requirement on your roster. If a player gets hurt (even if it's only for 2 games) you have to call up someone else. Then if that injury puts you under say 4 centers, the player called up either needs to be a center or you need to convert a player with a possible ratings loss. You can't just have someone fill in for a game or two at another position.

This would be a deal breaker for me, I hate having to micro manage my lineup in a game.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #21
Danny
Head Coach

Game is pretty challenging so far. A lot of things I like, I just wish I could automate tasks and sim more than one day at a time. Those two things might be deal breakers for me in not buying the game.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #22
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This would be a deal breaker for me, I hate having to micro manage my lineup in a game.

Yeah, I posted right after you about the issues I found likely being deal breakers for me too. I'll probably take the time to post the issues on the forums as like I said, there is a lot I like so far. Just let me automate things like this and sim more than one game at a time and I would likely make the purchase. Still playing though, I'm about 25 games into the season, I want to least get through one, so I can experience all they have in here.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #23
Danny
Head Coach

The one good thing about the issue Lathum replied about is at least the game prompts you and makes it easy to make the switch. when a player gets hurt a popup window comes up asking specifically who you want to call up for him. Then when the player comes back, a popup comes up asking if you want to put him back in the lineup and for whom or send him down to the minors. At least you don't have to wonder or go looking around to fix your roster.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #24
Danny
Head Coach

My captian Joe Thornton just asked to meet with me. He told me if I could trade for his best friend J. Gorges and if I did, he would be a happy man. I now have 5 turns to trade for this guy, if I do Thornton gets a boost to his inspirtation which effect willingness to negotiate, performance, etc... if I fail he will become frustrated.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:08 AM   #25
Danny
Head Coach

Just had the mid-season press conference and they actually asked me appropriate questions like is so and so really on the trading block (a guy I put on there), what is the reason for your offensive struggles. They even asked why my scouts were sitting at home for much of the first half of the season (I forgot to scout for a period of about 20 games). They mentioned that some of my players have complained about having to wear ties (I set dress code to ties). A bunch of other questions were asked, This was a neat feature.

Last edited by Danny : 10-12-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:20 AM   #26
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kserra View Post
Wow, I don't know... the translation may be rough, but aren't you all intrigued by this game? Whether it is viable long-term, with prospect development and whether the AI is worth a damn is something to take a look at for sure... seems like eveything is tweakable... I guess we need a patient soul to run this through some tests and see if it has potential... at the least, it does deserve a sniff or two...

Anyway have insights on the game? Especially the development of players and the AI's ability to draft/trade/sign players both in the short and long term...

Trade AI seems very good so far. I made quite a few trades as my team was not constructed well since I rushed through the dispersal draft. I'm not sure I got the better end of any deal, but it was possible to get some solid young players if I gave up something good in return. I picked up LW Upshall, RW Dustin Brown, D Meszaros, D J Gorges, and D B Coburn. However, to get these players I had to give up S Sullivan, Visnovsky, Brisebois, Boynton, Raycroft, Korulyouk, Moulson, Schultz and my 2nd and 3rd round draft picks.

Signings and the draft I haven't gone through yet; however, there is no player who has been released or placed on waivers that wouldn't be in the NHL. And there is very little quality in free agency during the season, so the AI seems good here.

Last edited by Danny : 10-12-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:49 AM   #27
Danny
Head Coach

Guess the demo stops you at the all-star break. I posted on their forums with a couple of my issues. I'll see how they respond to them.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #28
Galaril
Pro Starter

Sounds promising. If the developer can "fix" the few issues. I think the big three are roster setup as mentioned already forced you to stick to for example 4 centers when one gets injuried is a big one. Also, the abiltiy to be able to sim more than one game and I would purchase as well. I think these are fairly easy fixes considering the fact the game already has a ton of stuff in it.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #29
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks again Danny, I'm giving the demo a look thanks to your posts.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #30
Danny
Head Coach

A good sign for the game is I was left wanting more when the game told me the demo went as far as it could. I finished some of my homework today and wanted to boot the game back up and continue on my franchise. I also appreciate the response I got when I posted on their forum A Couple Issues

The developer responded to my critiques well. He explained the intentions for doing what he did and said he would see what he could do for future regarding the issues I mentioned. As I said there, I am actually leaning towards getting this game in the future as I've been wanting an enjoyable hockey sim since the original EHM as I never enjoyed the new versions of EHM.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #31
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Getting ready to start the demo right now.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:16 PM   #32
Danny
Head Coach

I'd recommend installing the image pack located here for real logos and player/coach/hall of fame photos Web
Old 10-12-2008, 07:19 PM   #33
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm still holding out for Black Ice Hockey.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:49 PM   #34
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I'd recommend installing the image pack located here for real logos and player/coach/hall of fame photos Web

Thank you!

Wow... so far I'm really engrossed and quite impressed at all that's in the game so far.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #35
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

hmmm... my Red Wings are 1-1 in the real world... feel the urge to jump into this world... I need some hockey fix... but I want long term playability above anything else...
kserra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #36
Flasch186
Coordinator

Maximum Football: the Hockey Mod is coming out soon.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #37
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kserra View Post
hmmm... my Red Wings are 1-1 in the real world... feel the urge to jump into this world... I need some hockey fix... but I want long term playability above anything else...

If Danny makes the purchase, he's your guy as he's already at the AS break and hopefully can tell us what the offseason is like.

So far, nothing has jumped out at me as unrealistic.. but it's early in my game play. I will say, if I'm still having as much fun when the demo is up as I have the last hour or so, it will be a purchase for me.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #38
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'll see if Scotty Bowman can lead this Blues team to the promise land!
Old 10-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #39
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

How much does this game cost? I haven't tried the demo yet, but I've discovered that I've become more of a "game" guy than a "simulation" guy, so this might be my thing.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #40
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
How much does this game cost? I haven't tried the demo yet, but I've discovered that I've become more of a "game" guy than a "simulation" guy, so this might be my thing.

$30
Old 10-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #41
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

I'm much the same now, above anything else I want a game to be fun. I haven't played many sims the last few years because of the lack of fun for me.

Last edited by Danny : 10-12-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #42
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

This looks interesting. Thanks for the info. Downloading the demo and photo pack now...

-Cork
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #43
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

If anything, it brings a lot of innovation and fun to the text sim genre. Picking my players for my fantasy team was fun and something I'm going to like watching parallel with my season.

Tried to pick up Shanahan and he told me he has no confidence in me.. lol..

Lots of really cool things that bring the universe to life.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:12 PM   #44
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
If anything, it brings a lot of innovation and fun to the text sim genre. Picking my players for my fantasy team was fun and something I'm going to like watching parallel with my season.

Tried to pick up Shanahan and he told me he has no confidence in me.. lol..

Lots of really cool things that bring the universe to life.

I completely agree. The game has lots of potential, but there are a few annoyances that need to be addressed. I'll list a few.

1. The game should not constantly force the player to stay above the minimum salary cap when a player gets injured. This can be a problem if a team has a lot of players on 1 year deals since you can't offer a salary raise during the last year of a players contract.

2. The game could use a regular front end with an advance day button. It was real confusing starting out because the game didn't tell you how to advance.

3. Is there a way to claim a player off of waivers?

Overall, the game seems pretty fun. I will definately put this one on my "games to keep an eye on" list.

-Cork
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:16 PM   #45
duff88
College Prospect

I made a comment earlier in the thread about how I didn't like the french version of the game I played a few years ago. Well I played the demo last night, and I have to say that I had a great time with it, the game has improved a ton and I'm definitely going to consider buying it.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #46
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Post any suggestions/improvements you might have on the forums over there.. the develper has been responding to Danny's thoughts.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #47
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Nice find,

I enjoyed the demo so much I had to buy it. I really like the newspaper and the unique random events that happen. I seems the AI is very solid.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:57 PM   #48
Galaril
Pro Starter

Glad people are liking this.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #49
tarcone
Coordinator

Im taking the day off work tomorrow for a doctors appointment. going to check this out.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:59 AM   #50
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

I played a few days as the NY Igloos. A lot going on.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote