Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-11-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
DanGarion
Coordinator

iPhone 2.0

Anyone getting one of these tomorrow. I'm hoping both my wife and I will be able to get ours tomorrow. We held off on getting the first ones, and I'm going to be a complete hypocrite since I usually denounce Apple, but I really want one now. A lot of the stuff the iPhone does are things I already do with my current phone (Browse, Gmail, Reader, Maps) but it does it so much better.

I'm just hoping the supply is going to be good enough so we can get two 16 GB ones tomorrow.

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
samifan24
Pro Starter

I really, really want one but I can't afford one right now. When I actually sat down and crunched the numbers, I found that I can't afford that very high premium for the course of the two year contract for what is ultimately a luxury item. I compared the costs associated with the iPhone over the life of its contract in a blog post here.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Passacaglia
Coordinator

On my bus ride in, I saw a bunch of people lined up outside a strip mall. At first, I thought there was some giveaway at the Starbucks in it, then I realized they were all lined up outside the at&t store next to it. I'd say about 50 people were in line.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

People must be much richer than I am to be able to afford a $1000/year cell phone bugdet. I think I spend about $100/year on my cell phone and that's about as much as I'm willing to pay.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
People must be much richer than I am to be able to afford a $1000/year cell phone bugdet. I think I spend about $100/year on my cell phone and that's about as much as I'm willing to pay.

Priorities. I'm in the same boat as you, but I'd imagine that most people *could* spend $1000 per year on it if they cared about it more than other things.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #6
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

Where do you find an $8/mo. plan?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i wish i could downgrade my plan to a cheaper one, but i already bumped it up this year to a more expensive one for the bitch, so i guess i'm screwed into paying what i'm paying.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #8
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Dola,

I'm going to get one, just not today. The iPhone Dev Team has announced they've already jailbroken the 2.0 software, but I'm going to wait and see how well it works. I've gotten used to running some stuff on my current iPhone that only works after it is jailbroken.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I'm in as soon as I can get one. Probably will start looking in earnest tomorrow. Not interested in waiting in line for one.

I'm going to cancel a business line coming into our house, and get rid of my existing cell phone. The iPhone monthly charges will end up costing me just a bit more than my current charges, but the iPhone will do more.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #10
Rich1033
High School Varsity

A friend of mine went to pick one up today at about 7:30am and found out most stores around here only have between 20-40 phones. After that they are taking preorders and those people get first dibs when more phones come in.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #11
DanGarion
Coordinator

Well one reason we can splurg to get something like this is that I get free cable TV already and only pay 20 bucks a month for phone service at our home. One of the nice benefits of working for the cable company.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #12
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'd love to have one, but can't justify the costs. Ah well.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #13
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I've got an iTouch ipod and because of that wouldn't touch an iPhone with a bargepole.

The UI is horrible to utilise compared to a normal iPod and I'd expect the same to be the case on the iPhone, simply put having proper buttons to press makes things a lot more reliable and easier to use.

(or put it this way - I prefer to borrow my wifes old-style iPod when I go to the gym)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #14
Rich1033
High School Varsity

They are telling everyone all preorders will be filled within 7 days. Sucks for me since I wanted one for my flight to Seattle on the 19th, thats cutting it close.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #15
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Activation is down. Poor America.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/03/iphone-activation-down/

Last edited by sachmo71 : 07-11-2008 at 12:36 PM.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #16
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Sounds like the launch is a complete mess. iTunes server has been down worldwide, so people can't activate.

I tried calling a nearby AT&T store from a land line, but the reception was all garbled, then it switched to a busy signal. I tried calling again but only got a dead line. Great quality for a mobile phone company.

Glad I didn't get up early to wait in line. I'll wait until next week to start looking.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 07-11-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #17
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz View Post
Sounds like the launch is a complete mess. iTunes server has been down worldwide, so people can't activate.

I tried calling a nearby AT&T store from a land line, but the reception was all garbled, then it switched to a busy signal. I tried calling again but only got a dead line. Great quality for a mobile phone company.

Glad I didn't get up early to wait in line. I'll wait until next week to start looking.

Why were you calling the store? Don't think they are busy enough already?
Old 07-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #18
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Are they using itunes to answer phones as well?
Old 07-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #19
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Where do you find an $8/mo. plan?

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/rates/minute.do

I pay $20 every 90 days. $7/mo I guess.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #20
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/rates/minute.do

I pay $20 every 90 days. $7/mo I guess.

That is what we have for my son, $20 at a time for 200 minutes. I wish I could have that but I "need" (yes, I know it's not a need but I choose to not live without it) texting and internet on my phone. We have 2 blackberrys with TMobile and pay $140 a month for 1000 minutes, unlimited internet, and unlimited messaging.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #21
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

LOL:

http://gizmodo.com/5024372/apple-can...ases-ibrick-3g
Old 07-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #22
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post

1254 tries? Geez? After like 5 I'd call it a day.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #23
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
Why were you calling the store? Don't think they are busy enough already?

I called the store to check on availability. I had heard that some of the local AT&T stores were pretty quiet at the last launch.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #24
DanGarion
Coordinator

You know what really sucks, is they have more then enough of them at the Apple Store, BUT you can only buy one per person so I have to wait till my wife gets off work for us to go.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #25
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl View Post
That is what we have for my son, $20 at a time for 200 minutes. I wish I could have that but I "need" (yes, I know it's not a need but I choose to not live without it) texting and internet on my phone. We have 2 blackberrys with TMobile and pay $140 a month for 1000 minutes, unlimited internet, and unlimited messaging.

i use my computer for internet access and text-based messaging.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #26
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
1254 tries? Geez? After like 5 I'd call it a day.

I believe the iphone just keeps trying to connect until you shut it off. And brick your phone.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #27
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

None in stock at the Apple Store near me for tomorrow. Mall of America store has some, but I'm not motivated enough to drive 45 minutes for one. I'll look again on Sunday/Monday/Tuesday.

I don't get a sense it will be too hard to get one of these.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:41 PM   #28
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

My mom got one today and mine should be here next week. She got the last one (it was white) at our AT&T store. I wanted a black one so I let her get that one and I will gladly wait. I need to get screen protectors and a case in the meantime anyway. Anyone know the best cases out there or what?
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #29
DanGarion
Coordinator

So I got 2 iPhones yesterday. Stood in line for 5 hours at the Apple Store. My wife really wanted one after she saw all the cool stuff it could do when I was checking it out for myself and with our anniversary coming up I thought it would be a nice little early 2 year anniversary gift. Was well worth the 5 hour wait, I didn't really get bored I was standing by a some people that were fun to talk to.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #30
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz View Post
I don't get a sense it will be too hard to get one of these.

The whole state has been sold out for two days now.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:36 AM   #31
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I saw a huge line at the apple store and was wondering what the hype was.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #32
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I didn't catch most of the thread, but I have an iPhone 2.0. And by that, I mean I have a first gen iPhone with the 2.0 firmware. The only thing you gain with the 3G is faster cellular internet speed (meh) and a haphazard GPS (can't even give you turn-by-turn directions).

The new apps show a lot of promise, especially some of the games. There's an app I am waiting to be released which essentially allows you to "bookmark" where you parked your car. This will be VERY nice.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #33
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I didn't catch most of the thread
"I can't be bothered to read what any of you simpletons wrote. The thread starts now, after my post."
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #34
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I didn't catch most of the thread, but I have an iPhone 2.0. And by that, I mean I have a first gen iPhone with the 2.0 firmware. The only thing you gain with the 3G is faster cellular internet speed (meh) and a haphazard GPS (can't even give you turn-by-turn directions).

The new apps show a lot of promise, especially some of the games. There's an app I am waiting to be released which essentially allows you to "bookmark" where you parked your car. This will be VERY nice.
They didn't do the turn by turn because they were afraid of pissing of law enforcement. I have heard that their might be a Telenav addon though...
Old 07-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #35
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Why would they piss of law enforcement when plenty of GPS systems have that ability?
Old 07-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #36
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I can get the iPhone for $199 and my work will pick-up the data package but I'm waiting. The other guys in my department just unpacked theirs and I'm going to let them 'eff about with the thing to see if I want to plop down $200 just to be able to be more accessible with off hours email.

I currently have the sony-ericsson walkman (for which I paid $170 a year or more ago - ouch - I wanted a phone/mp3 player and this phone sucks ass) and that allows me to at least not be emailed to death while I'm at home. I'll probably cave, but I'm a stubborn fuck.

Last edited by Bonegavel : 07-15-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #37
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Why would they piss of law enforcement when plenty of GPS systems have that ability?
I don't know, that's what someone said to me.

I just saw this though...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/14/a...y-paste-not-a/

Quote:
There's been a lot of random misinformation about the iPhone 3G floating around out there, like David Pogue's baffling comment that the device's GPS antenna is "too small" to support turn-by-turn directions, and Apple's iPod and iPhone marketing head Greg Joswiak recently sat down with AppScout to clear up some of the confusion. Greg says that Apple has an internal priority list of features for the iPhone, and that the company went as far down the list with the 3G as it could -- and that copy / paste support simply didn't make the cut. Similarly, there are no technical issues preventing turn-by-turn directions, just other "complicated issues" (read: legal agreements) that need to be sorted out, and Josiwak expects developers to "amaze us." as things "evolve." Hopefully that means that nav app TomTom's got in the labs will evolve its way into the wild sometime soon. Finally, Joswiak said that he's not aware of any technical reasons an office suite isn't already in the App Store, but that the lack of a cross-application file structure could impede development. Yeah, and maybe the lack of copy / paste, you think?
Old 07-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #38
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
"I can't be bothered to read what any of you simpletons wrote. The thread starts now, after my post."

Precisely.

Quote:
They didn't do the turn by turn because they were afraid of pissing of law enforcement. I have heard that their might be a Telenav addon though...

That's bullshit if they've said that (which I haven't seen, sounds like a conspiracy theory, but I'd love to be proven wrong). There are plenty of phones out there, not to mention, you know, GPS devices, that give turn-by-turn GPS directions.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:36 PM   #39
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Precisely.

That's bullshit if they've said that (which I haven't seen, sounds like a conspiracy theory, but I'd love to be proven wrong). There are plenty of phones out there, not to mention, you know, GPS devices, that give turn-by-turn GPS directions.
See my next post please....
Old 07-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #40
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
See my next post please....

Yeah, that sounds much more plausible. Basically, they don't have licensing to turn-by-turn software or haven't written their own or are waiting for someone like TomTom to come out with a version or something to that affect. I have a much easier time believing that. And, personally, I love the TomTom software and if they created something for the iphone it would work great (although I doubt it would be innovative in any way -- probably the same as the Pocket PC version). But the whole idea that they don't want trouble from law enforcement is just absurd. Phone GPSes (like TomTom on a Pocket PC) typically just have a warning that you have to accept that says you're paying attention to the road, essentially.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #41
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I really, really want one but I can't afford one right now. When I actually sat down and crunched the numbers, I found that I can't afford that very high premium for the course of the two year contract for what is ultimately a luxury item. I compared the costs associated with the iPhone over the life of its contract in a blog post here.

It sounds like prospective buyers have to be careful--the cost structure will be the same whether your calling area has 3G service or not. The premium for this phone can be justified if you have active 3G in you area (and is a pretty fair price for high speed data), but perhaps not so much if AT&T data in your area is spotty.

The reviews say that call quality is light years ahead of the original iPhone, so perhaps that may be some incentive to buy the 3G version anyway (with the hope that the 3G network is eventually built out more).
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #42
Bonegavel

Doing the math, it doesn't pay for met not to get this phone since work is picking up the tab for voice/data. I'm getting the 16gb. I feel so dirty, but hey, I like the ipod.

Now I know what Linux guys feel like when they have to buy stuff running windows. Where's the shower.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #43
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

You should not feel dirty. You should feel clean, enlightened and blessed. :-D

Old 07-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #44
Bonegavel

Quote:
You should not feel dirty. You should feel clean, enlightened and blessed. :-D

Uuuchht.

Went to the local apple store (lehigh valley mall) for lunch to pick up a protective cover for the phone and I felt like I walked into an alternate reality.

Greatest part was one of the Macs on display was frozen. hehe. Slick looking, I'll give you that.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #45
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
Uuuchht.

Went to the local apple store (lehigh valley mall) for lunch to pick up a protective cover for the phone and I felt like I walked into an alternate reality.

Greatest part was one of the Macs on display was frozen. hehe. Slick looking, I'll give you that.

I'm right there with you, I felt dirty walking into that store. But I got a nice sweet little phone. I love Mighty VNC, pretty sweet being able to VNC to my home PC.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #46
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm right there with you, I felt dirty walking into that store. But I got a nice sweet little phone. I love Mighty VNC, pretty sweet being able to VNC to my home PC.

You can VNC from your iPhone to your home PC? That is pretty sweet. What percentage of the screen can you see on your phone and how much scrolling do you have to do?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #47
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

I have a question i'm a little confused on. I have a good priced family plan from back when it ws cingular and my phone line is upgrade eligible. I'm thinking of getting the Iphone but want too know if I would have to sign a new 2 year contract with a new plan or just sign a 2 year contract to the plan I already have?

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #48
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
You can VNC from your iPhone to your home PC? That is pretty sweet. What percentage of the screen can you see on your phone and how much scrolling do you have to do?

Lots of scrolling, especially since I run at 1600x1200. But it works....
Old 07-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #49
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantle2600 View Post
I have a question i'm a little confused on. I have a good priced family plan from back when it ws cingular and my phone line is upgrade eligible. I'm thinking of getting the Iphone but want too know if I would have to sign a new 2 year contract with a new plan or just sign a 2 year contract to the plan I already have?

I believe you would need to sign a "new" two year contract. It sounds like in the second option you would just "add" two more years to your exciting contract/plan and I don't believe you can do that with any of the AT&T iPhone plans.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #50
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantle2600 View Post
New contract, no way other then that...