Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-30-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

WSOP Main Event Discussion Thread (Spoilers Possible)

I didn't see one of these out there, so I thought I'd kick one off prior to our CST this evening. There will be spoilers posted - for those waiting to watch the WS on ESPN whenever they decide to air it (November? February?).

Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Cardplayer.com Sun Jul 30 13:03:00 PDT

John Phan raises pre-flop, and he is called by Joe Berry and Sam Farha. The flop comes 9h 6h 4h, Phan raises, Berry calls, and Farha re-raises. Phan folds and Berry smooth calls. The turn brings another 6, and once again, Farha bets into Berry who just calls. The river brings a 10, and Farha moves all-in. Berry calls and Farha flips over pocket 9s for a full house. Berry shows pocket 6s, and Farha can't believe his opponent turned quads against his top set. Farha is eliminated.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 07-30-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
With 8000+ entrants, there are gonna be bad beat stories galore.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Cardplayer.com Sun Jul 30 17:20:00 PDT 2006

With $1,375 left, Jennifer Harman joins a mult-limped pot. The flop comes 8d 4c 2d and a player acting before Harman makes it $600 to go. Harman then pushes all-in. A player behind Harman then makes it $3,000 to go and the original raiser folds. Harman shows Q8c while her remaining opponent in the pot turns up the 4d2c. The turn card brings the Ks and the river brings the 7d. Jennifer Harman has been eliminated from the Main Event.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 07-30-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
I didn't see one of these out there, so I thought I'd kick one off prior to our CST this evening. There will be spoilers posted - for those waiting to watch the WS on ESPN whenever they decide to air it (November? February?).

September or October, actually, they're airing the main event first.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Thats 2 years in a row Harmen has taken a rough beat
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:41 PM   #7
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
Thats 2 years in a row Harmen has taken a rough beat
How rough a beat is that? Seems to me she overplayed her hand.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:43 PM   #8
heybrad
Norm!!!

I'm am in no way a poker expert, but it seems to be the Harman is terrible (at least in that hand). If you allow that many people to limp into a pot, wouldn't you have to consider that somebody hit something better than a pair of 8's with Q high? Reading that sounds like every low limit table I've ever played at.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

unless the player with 2 4 was in the big blind it is a bad beat
Old 07-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #10
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad
If you allow that many people to limp into a pot, wouldn't you have to consider that somebody hit something better than a pair of 8's with Q high?

It doesn't say what the blinds were, but it looks like she was pretty short stacked and figured top pair with a good kicker was good enough to try to double up with.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:52 PM   #11
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Now, this is a bad beat, what is KJd doing in a hand after heavy preflop raising?

Mike "The Mouth" Matusow Eliminated
At the ESPN featured table, Mike "The Mouth" Matusow calls all in on for approximately $10,000 on a flop of 9diamond4diamond7spade, after heavy preflop betting. Both players flip up their hands, Matusow with 7club7heart and his opponent with KdiamondJdiamond. The Aheart falls on the turn, and Matusow now has to dodge only a diamond or he will double up. The river brings the 3diamond, and a very dejected Mouth is sent to the rail.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:54 PM   #12
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
unless the player with 2 4 was in the big blind it is a bad beat
Top pair and that's a bad beat? I mean she did have a backdoor flush draw, but really just having top pair and getting beat doesn't seem like a "bad beat" even on that board. I mean if this had been the same situation and the guy had 56 for an open ended straight which he then completes would people be saying it's a bad beat? A queen is a decent kicker, but hardly the nuts.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:59 PM   #13
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

advice: how do we post the actual suits instead of the words? I know I've seen it on this board now and again
Old 07-30-2006, 07:59 PM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
Top pair and that's a bad beat? I mean she did have a backdoor flush draw, but really just having top pair and getting beat doesn't seem like a "bad beat" even on that board. I mean if this had been the same situation and the guy had 56 for an open ended straight which he then completes would people be saying it's a bad beat? A queen is a decent kicker, but hardly the nuts.
I'm not sure of the context of your post?
Old 07-30-2006, 08:02 PM   #15
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

What the bad beat folks are saying is that it's a shame that 24x was in the hand after the flop.. but in a multi way pot, you have equity, exactly cuz no one expects anyone to have 24 post flop
Old 07-30-2006, 08:03 PM   #16
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Now, this is a bad beat, what is KJd doing in a hand after heavy preflop raising?

Mike "The Mouth" Matusow Eliminated
At the ESPN featured table, Mike "The Mouth" Matusow calls all in on for approximately $10,000 on a flop of 9diamond4diamond7spade, after heavy preflop betting. Both players flip up their hands, Matusow with 7club7heart and his opponent with KdiamondJdiamond. The Aheart falls on the turn, and Matusow now has to dodge only a diamond or he will double up. The river brings the 3diamond, and a very dejected Mouth is sent to the rail.

I'm guessing this is from some sort of ESPN poker blog? Can someone clue them in that the internet poker world can comprehend 9d4d7s? It's painful reading this stuff.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:04 PM   #17
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It's cardplayer, they use graphics that don't come over when you copy and paste.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:09 PM   #18
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
It's cardplayer, they use graphics that don't come over when you copy and paste.

Ah, I see. Thanks.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:10 PM   #19
heybrad
Norm!!!

Anybody know of a site where you can easily search any players results in the main event? I have a buddy playing and can't seem to find which group he's in or how he's doing.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:12 PM   #20
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:

No?

Sun Jul 30 17:57:00 PDT 2006
Daniel Negreanu Wins a $21,100 Pot
Three players at Daniel Negreanu's table call $700 pre-flop. The flop comes AJ5. Negreanu bets $1,000 and gets one caller. He bets $3,000 on the turn (8) and is called. He bets $5,500 on the river (K) and is called. His opponent shows A-K while he shows 76. With the pot, Negreanu is up to $41,500 and is among the day's chip leaders.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:13 PM   #21
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Hmm... weird.. mine don't.

I use FF
Old 07-30-2006, 08:17 PM   #22
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Hmm... weird.. mine don't.

I use FF

Ah, I use IE. I just tried it with Firefox and it did that 9diamond stuff.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:40 PM   #23
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I kind of lost interest after Ron Jeremy got eliminated.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:06 PM   #24
hoopsguy
General Manager

Cheer up, Vic. Anna Benson is making her run this year.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:58 PM   #25
primelord
Pro Rookie

Our own dixieflatline is sitting with ~$13,000 at the dinner break. GO dixie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:30 PM   #26
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Interesting: there's six more bracelet events that will be running during the main event? That's goofy.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:03 PM   #27
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Cardplayer.com Fri Jul 28 18:40:00 PDT 2006
Hardest Beat EVER
Jack Mahalingam is all-in for $5,000 and is called an opponent in late position. Mahalingam shows 8s8c and his opponent has 5h5c. The flop is 6s5s5d (!!) and his opponent flops quads. The turn is a 9s giving Mahalingam a gut-shot straight flush draw (his only way to win). The river is the 7s giving Mahalingam the straight flush and the hand.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 07-30-2006 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:36 PM   #28
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Cardplayer.com Fri Jul 28 18:40:00 PDT 2006
Hardest Beat EVER
Jack Mahalingam is all-in for $5,000 and is called an opponent in late position. Mahalingam shows 8s8c and his opponent has 5h5c. The flop is 6s5s5d (!!) and his opponent flops quads. The turn is a 9s giving Mahalingam a gut-shot straight flush draw (his only way to win). The river is the 7s giving Mahalingam the straight flush and the hand.

That's actually not a bad beat, because all of the money went in before the flop. The 88 was a 4 to 1 favorite over the 55. The one card straight flush is just one of the 80% of winning combinations for the 88.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:37 PM   #29
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Interesting: there's six more bracelet events that will be running during the main event? That's goofy.
They are second chance tourneys. I'm pretty sure they've run them before, although there are more this year.

And I use FF and have no trouble pasting from CardPlayer. Weird.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:37 PM   #30
sabotai
General Manager

Pffft. Technicalities. It still sucks royally for the guy holding the pocket fives.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:46 PM   #31
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Ah, I use IE. I just tried it with Firefox and it did that 9diamond stuff.
I got it to work - before entering the message, I choose "Switch Editor Mode" and voila:

"Pre-flop, an opponent pushes all-in for $6,000 and Brian Wilson calls. Wilson shows 1010 and his opponent shows JJ. The flop is Q94, giving Wilson 4 cards to a flush. The turn (Q) and river (Q) are no help though, and Wilson loses the hand. Currently, he has fallen to $11,600."
Old 07-31-2006, 12:42 AM   #32
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

i am busto. check 92o if you want the details.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:07 AM   #33
Subby
lolzcat

Josh - you had a nice run - that was a tough hand, to be sure...

Looking forward to your trip report - I hope you and your wife enjoy the hell out of the rest of your time out there...

Congrats again for just getting there.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:10 AM   #34
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Pffft. Technicalities. It still sucks royally for the guy holding the pocket fives.

Yeah, it sucks, but like the others here, I can't cal that a bad beat. He got his money in with by far and away the worst hand. The expected result is what happened.

If he'd have went all in on the flop and gotten called, it would have been one of the worst beats I've ever seen.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:01 AM   #35
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Raymer has done it again. Last year he got shortstacked very early, then had an enormoush rush at the end of day one that really got him going for the whole tourney.

Well the same thing happened this year. He struggled for most of the day below the $10,000 threshold, finally built it up to $19k or so, then lost to a straight which brought him down to $6k. That was the last update I saw before I went to bed. Now I look this morning and see he's got 48,900. How does this guy fucking do it?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 07-31-2006 at 09:02 AM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:53 AM   #36
Jas_lov
College Starter

I don't know how Raymer does it. If he makes a run deep this year it would just be god like. Considering the past few main event winners before him never make it out of the first day it is remarkable. We'll see how Joe Hachem does today. I have a feeling he will play very tight early as he has the biggest target above his head. I predict he will make it to day two as he is a good player as evidenced by his WSOP thus far. He just has to be very careful and pick his spots to get lucky like Raymer is so good at doing.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:10 PM   #37
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I gotta believe there are quite a few donkeys who see Raymer in a pot and say to themselves "I want to knockout out the former champ" go in with mediocre cards, and get beat.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:14 PM   #38
larrymcg421
Head Coach

BTW, did you guys see that not only is David Williams doing well, but so is his mom? It would be interesting if they drew the same table.

I'm assuming Moneymaker is playing today? I hope he does well. People give him a bad rap, but it's almost entirely undeserved. He's not as good as Raymer, but he's a hell of alot better than Robert Varkonyi.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 07-31-2006 at 12:15 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:40 PM   #39
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Heh, wish I was there to see it:

Sun Jul 30 13:22:00 PDT 2006
Louie Anderson F-Bombing it Up
Louie Anderson has been penalized for using the F-bomb.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:45 PM   #40
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Heh, wish I was there to see it:

Sun Jul 30 13:22:00 PDT 2006
Louie Anderson F-Bombing it Up
Louie Anderson has been penalized for using the F-bomb.

How do they penalize someone at one of these tournaments?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:49 PM   #41
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight

You have to sit out for a set length of time. (Usually ten minutes for the first offense.)
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:49 PM   #42
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
You have to sit out for 10 minutes. So you basically lose any blinds that pass your spot when you are sitting out. For multiple offenses, I think they simply increase the time.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:55 PM   #43
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Also, if Roman Polanski is still able to make movies, there is no way that this would be a career killer for Mel.

Um.. Cart.. wrong thread, dude.

I remember Matusow early in last year's tournament racking up 50 minutes or so at one go. He'd get penalized and add another F-Bomb just to make the guy say the new amount of time
Old 07-31-2006, 01:56 PM   #44
dacman
College Benchwarmer

BTW, if anyone wants someone else to follow -- Jeff Sealey is a FOAF. Played yesterday -- spent most of the afternoon at the same table as Jesus Ferguson, Annie
Duke, and Jason Lester.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:57 PM   #45
cartman
Death Herald

Uh, that's wierd. I see it in the other thread as well. ???
Old 07-31-2006, 02:03 PM   #46
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ah yes.. here we go, the famous Matusow blow up

Finally, Mike the Mouth Matusow, after a brief featurette regarding his prison sentence, gets into it with the dealer at his table. The dealer accuses Matusow of throwing cards at him. The floor is called over, and The Mouth is brewing - he's ripped, because he insists that he did NOT throw the cards at the dealer, and when the table members back up his story, he calms down and takes his seat again. He's whispering to the guy next to him, very quietly, and let's an f-bomb go as he's telling a story. The dealer IMMEDIATELY raises his hand and calls the floor to give Matusow a ten minute penalty! Matusow is incredulous, and begins to swear at the floorman.

"Fuck that!" - Mike
"Twenty minutes." -floorman
"That's Fucking ridiculous!" -Mike
"Thirty Minutes." -floorman
"Fuck you too" -Mike
"Forty Minutes." -floorman

and he earns a 40 minute penalty, as the rest of the table is left shocked and awed, and the prissy little dealer is quite satisfied.

(on his way out he gets a near-standing ovation)
Old 07-31-2006, 02:07 PM   #47
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
"Fuck that!" - Mike
"Twenty minutes." -floorman
"That's Fucking ridiculous!" -Mike
"Thirty Minutes." -floorman
"Fuck you too" -Mike
"Forty Minutes." -floorman

and he earns a 40 minute penalty, as the rest of the table is left shocked and awed, and the prissy little dealer is quite satisfied.

(on his way out he gets a near-standing ovation)
For stuff like that, can't the other players slow-play to keep the blinds from circulating so much? What if the entire table took a break in unison?
Old 07-31-2006, 02:11 PM   #48
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Dola -

Congrats to dixieflatline for making it to the WSOP Main Event, sitting down, taking down a few hands, out lasting a handful of pros, and living the life for a few days.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:15 PM   #49
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For stuff like that, can't the other players slow-play to keep the blinds from circulating so much? What if the entire table took a break in unison?

Actually, this happened when Matusow got a 10 minute penalty in the 2005 WPT championship, where he pulled out a miracle card on the river, and said something like "F*** me, I'm lucky" (denigrating his skill) and got hit with the 10 minute penalty.

Most of the table thought that was kinda shitty, and slowplayed it, so Matusow only missed one hand.

On the other side, a player got hit in last year's WSOP Omaha Event when he was the massive chip leader heads up. Caused a huge uproar, since the blinds were getting up there, he had to stand and watch 10 minutes of chips being shuttled from his stack to his opponents..
Old 07-31-2006, 02:26 PM   #50
primelord
Pro Rookie

For what it is worth, all of the dealers at the WSOP have 0 tolerance for the F bomb. In the 1k event a guy sitting next to me dropped an F bomb very quitely in a normal conversation to the guy to his right. It wasn't directed at anyone and it wasn't in anger in anyway. The dealer immediately called the floor and the guy got a 10 minute penalty.

The guy was pretty pissed about it, but the dealer said that they were instructed to not let anything slide this year. If they heard an F bomb for any reason they were to immediately call the floor. They also announced that fact to all the players before hand.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote