Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-26-2005, 07:17 PM   #1
HerRealName
College Prospect

Total College Basketball Demo

I was just checking for BBCF info and I saw that the TCB demo was released. Here's the link - downloading now...

http://72.29.67.246/GDS/TCBDemoinstall.EXE

HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 07:21 PM   #2
hoosiergoody
Mascot

Find me a lawyer to get the divorce papers ready... my wife won't see me for months now...

Typing while the game downloads. Who said Christmas was on the 25th?
hoosiergoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 07:32 PM   #3
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Excellent!!!

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 07:46 PM   #4
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Woooooooooo!
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Jeez, only 120 MB and it's saying 2 hours to d/l.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:50 PM   #6
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Yeh, I'm only getting 55 kbps. Get off the server a-holes.

Old 12-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #7
Flasch186
Coordinator

dont take this the wrong way but is this as buggy as the BBCF one? I still havnt gone back to BBCF until they fix the PBP and stuff. why would I when WWSM is so polished (except I cant get the f'n patch right now cuz im on digi-download!!)? Anyways, Im jonesin' to play BBCF but some of the PBP and things that happen are too wacky, right now....

so I ask again? What does everyone think of this TCB?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 08:09 PM   #8
HerRealName
College Prospect

I've installed and started it up.

The game starts off with coach set up with several levels of head coach skill. When you go to choose your school, you're given a list of interested schools. I'm guessing this list of interested teams changes with the level of head coach skill chosen previously but I haven't checked to be certain yet.

After the initial set up you start off with the chosen team in the off season so you can hire/fire staff, choose recruiting services and start recruiting before the season even starts. I like this initial game set up a lot rather than the wasted first season in BBCF. I screwed up and used all my budget too fast and didn't leave enough for recruiting so I'm starting over. In addition to the scouting service, you can also choose to attend summer camps to watch recruits you are targetting. That's a nice touch that I haven't been able to utilize yet.

The interface is intuitive and looks great. This is nearing must-buy status and I haven't played a game yet.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:11 PM   #9
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
dont take this the wrong way but is this as buggy as the BBCF one? I still havnt gone back to BBCF until they fix the PBP and stuff. why would I when WWSM is so polished (except I cant get the f'n patch right now cuz im on digi-download!!)? Anyways, Im jonesin' to play BBCF but some of the PBP and things that happen are too wacky, right now....

so I ask again? What does everyone think of this TCB?

I haven't progressed enough to know for certain but I expect the PBP to be pretty solid right from the start. Gary has the advantage of using TPB as a base for this game so that is a huge built-in advantage over Arlie.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:18 PM   #10
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Great stuff so far. Simmed one season and all I can say is I'm ready to lay down my money. A great atmosphere and seems like pretty accurate stats with nothing really that odd yet.

I liked the college football game, but never really was able to get into it that much while playing the demo. For some reason, this seems much more interesting too me (nothing against the football game, just my pereference).

Hopefully can buy soon...
SlyBelle1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 08:24 PM   #11
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Multiplayer, right?
Old 12-26-2005, 08:27 PM   #12
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
Multiplayer, right?

Has options for it on the create league screen. No idea how it works, I mainly play solo.
SlyBelle1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 08:29 PM   #13
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName
I haven't progressed enough to know for certain but I expect the PBP to be pretty solid right from the start. Gary has the advantage of using TPB as a base for this game so that is a huge built-in advantage over Arlie.

but how is the play by play log? is it in detail to read after? if you dont watch or coach your game but just sim.

Is the play-by-play recorded for every game for review even if just simulated?

Last edited by jbmagic : 12-26-2005 at 08:52 PM.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 08:58 PM   #14
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
The game starts off with coach set up with several levels of head coach skill. When you go to choose your school, you're given a list of interested schools. I'm guessing this list of interested teams changes with the level of head coach skill chosen previously but I haven't checked to be certain yet.

Yes that is correct. If you want to start at the elite of the elite you have to go into custom mode and set all your ratings to 90-100.

Quote:
After the initial set up you start off with the chosen team in the off season so you can hire/fire staff, choose recruiting services and start recruiting before the season even starts. I like this initial game set up a lot rather than the wasted first season in BBCF. I screwed up and used all my budget too fast and didn't leave enough for recruiting so I'm starting over. In addition to the scouting service, you can also choose to attend summer camps to watch recruits you are targetting. That's a nice touch that I haven't been able to utilize yet.

One of the guys has set up a quick recruiting guide at the GDS forums. Its a system unlike ones used in other games and my team has told me they love how it works after they figured out that they couldn't just do the same things they did in other college bball games.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:59 PM   #15
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Multiplayer, right?

MP will certainly be a feature and work similar to how it did in TPB but you cannot create or access a MP league with the demo
Old 12-26-2005, 08:59 PM   #16
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
but how is the play by play log? is it in detail to read after? if you dont watch or coach your game but just sim.

Is the play-by-play recorded for every game for review even if just simulated?

No, at this time PBP logs are not kept. If its something that is really wanted they could be added in as an option either before release or shortly thereafter depending on how testing finishes up.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:02 PM   #17
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
No, at this time PBP logs are not kept. If its something that is really wanted they could be added in as an option either before release or shortly thereafter depending on how testing finishes up.

thanks Gary

i think PBP log is important to have for people that like to sim only for solo and online leagues.

it will be nice to read the play by play logs and see how the game play out.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:07 PM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
thanks Gary

i think PBP log is important to have for people that like to sim only for solo and online leagues.

it will be nice to read the play by play logs and see how the game play out.

i disagree. if i'm playing solo and simming all the games i will NEVER check a PBP log. If i want to see what's going on i'll watch a game. if i don't watch the game then I'm fine with the game assuming that I don't care. in my mind if you're simming games in solo play then you're just trying to quickly get through a season and the game shouldn't keep PBP logs for you. for MP i can understand certainly.

but don't kill yourself on it Gary.

And good to see the demo out, can't wait to DL it and give it a go (12% done)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:29 PM   #19
ScottVib
High School Varsity

FWIW the recruiting guide is right here:

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum...ead.php?t=9747
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:31 PM   #20
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Thanks Scott - I suggest you guys check it out while you wait for the download to complete
Old 12-26-2005, 09:46 PM   #21
HerRealName
College Prospect

I liked what I saw out of recruiting so I played an exhibition game. My money is yours for the taking, Gary.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:13 PM   #22
Tasan
College Starter

I really like having the logs available BECAUSE I sim and don't play out the games. I love looking at the log of a close win or loss in FBCB to see who took the shot and if OT was involved I love to see how that broke down as well. Please have this as an option, so if we want it we can have it, and if not then just turn it off.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:32 PM   #23
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

so does watching multiple game tapes for the same player give you more notes and a better idea of how good they're going to be?? i sure hope so!
Old 12-27-2005, 12:15 AM   #24
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

First impressions:

You really need to lead the player through the process more. It literally took me 10 minutes to figure out that I needed to click the little arrow thing to move the game out of the first week. Also, I didn't realize that the budget it shows you for your recruit scouting reports is your entire recruiting budget, so I spent far too much.

I loaded the save it does right after league creation to go back and fix that. Forgetting that I was at an earlier stage, I hit the recruiting button and got a window informing me that recruiting is not available after the 26th--a window that apparently has no button allowing it to be closed. Had to close the game and restart.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:16 AM   #25
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

How the hell is going to say a player who likes prestige is more likely to go to Michigan State than Indiana b/c they have a more prestigous program?

Most NCAA Championship Titles

* 11 - UCLA
* 7 - Kentucky
* 5 - Indiana
* 4 - North Carolina
* 3 - Duke

Most Final Four Appearances

* 16 - North Carolina
* 15 - UCLA
* 13 - Duke
* 13 - Kentucky
* 12 - Kansas
* 9 - Ohio St
* 8 - Indiana

Most Final Four Wins

* 24 - UCLA
* 17 - Kentucky
* 13 - Duke
* 13 - North Carolina
* 12 - Indiana

Most Final Four Games

* 28 - UCLA
* 26 - North Carolina
* 23 - Kentucky
* 24 - Duke
* 23 - Kansas
* 15 - Ohio St
* 15 - Indiana

Something tells me that if a player was to narrow the choice down between Indiana and Michigan State prestige wouldn't be the reason MSU gets the kid over Indiana. And b/c of this, I won't even download this game to give it a chance.

Last edited by dubb93 : 12-27-2005 at 12:17 AM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:19 AM   #26
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm going to assume you're kidding dubb. because the guy who wrote the recruiting tips is just a beta tester anyways.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:19 AM   #27
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93
How the hell is going to say a player who likes prestige is more likely to go to Michigan State than Indiana b/c they have a more prestigous program?

Most NCAA Championship Titles

* 11 - UCLA
* 7 - Kentucky
* 5 - Indiana
* 4 - North Carolina
* 3 - Duke

Most Final Four Appearances

* 16 - North Carolina
* 15 - UCLA
* 13 - Duke
* 13 - Kentucky
* 12 - Kansas
* 9 - Ohio St
* 8 - Indiana

Most Final Four Wins

* 24 - UCLA
* 17 - Kentucky
* 13 - Duke
* 13 - North Carolina
* 12 - Indiana

Most Final Four Games

* 28 - UCLA
* 26 - North Carolina
* 23 - Kentucky
* 24 - Duke
* 23 - Kansas
* 15 - Ohio St
* 15 - Indiana

Something tells me that if a player was to narrow the choice down between Indiana and Michigan State prestige wouldn't be the reason MSU gets the kid over Indiana. And b/c of this, I won't even download this game to give it a chance.

Prestige also means recent history.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:20 AM   #28
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Seriously, that is like saying a player from Georgia is more likely to go to Florida than Georgia b/c Florida has a more prestigous program(if he was interested in prestige). It's a stupid statement, and I wouldn't play a football that had Florida starting with a more prestigous program than Georgia.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:23 AM   #29
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Seriously, that is like saying a player from Georgia is more likely to go to Florida than Georgia b/c Florida has a more prestigous program(if he was interested in prestige). It's a stupid statement, and I wouldn't play a football that had Florida starting with a more prestigous program than Georgia.

Florida won a title in '96, Georgia not since '80.

So your point?
Old 12-27-2005, 12:25 AM   #30
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

I'm betting because in recent years, Mich. State has been better than Indiana. (College B-Ball Experts help me out here) For example, using your list, why would a recruit choose Duke over UCLA? Oh right, because Duke has been better the last three-four years by far.
Jesse_Ewiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:28 AM   #31
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Florida won a title in '96, Georgia not since '80.

So your point?

That there is no prestige difference between the 2 schools, ala Michigan State and Indiana. There is no difference.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:29 AM   #32
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That there is no prestige difference between the 2 schools, ala Michigan State and Indiana. There is no difference.
You're the one that used it as an example.

EDIT: I would say there is a difference, and as someone else said, you are basing this on past history, not recent results. Most players don't truely know about a schools tradition until their official visit IRL.

Last edited by vex : 12-27-2005 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:30 AM   #33
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Huh? WTF are you going on about? Michigan State is much more prestigious to any kid coming up today. They probably can't remember a time when Indiana was elite. Hell, I barely can.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:30 AM   #34
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

You do realize there's a distinct chance the guy who wrote up te recruiting FAQ was choosing two teams at random, right?
Jesse_Ewiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:33 AM   #35
Galaril
Pro Starter

Outlaw77 has his file up on his site for real conference names and teams and is working on the courts which look great.

http://www.totalsportssimulations.co...on_view&idev=3
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:33 AM   #36
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You're the one that used it as an example.

Well, you mistook my example. What was meant by it, is that Michigan State isn't an elite prestigous basketball program. Indiana has fallen in recent years, but in my mind they are around where Michigan State is.

Michigan State is no Duke or North Carolina, and Indiana is no Vandy or UTEP in terms of prestige. They are both inbetween those levels.

Last edited by dubb93 : 12-27-2005 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:36 AM   #37
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

FWIW, the default prestige has Indiana at a generous 85 and Michigan State at 94.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:39 AM   #38
Zippo
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
First impressions:

You really need to lead the player through the process more. It literally took me 10 minutes to figure out that I needed to click the little arrow thing to move the game out of the first week. Also, I didn't realize that the budget it shows you for your recruit scouting reports is your entire recruiting budget, so I spent far too much.

I loaded the save it does right after league creation to go back and fix that. Forgetting that I was at an earlier stage, I hit the recruiting button and got a window informing me that recruiting is not available after the 26th--a window that apparently has no button allowing it to be closed. Had to close the game and restart.

The arrow direction is in the email I believe and why did you have to close the game to restart? Why didn't you just click any other buttons to move to the other screens? I don't think the recruiting screen being disabled locks up the game.

Last edited by Zippo : 12-27-2005 at 12:39 AM.
Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:42 AM   #39
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
FWIW, the default prestige has Indiana at a generous 85 and Michigan State at 94.

BAH, I'm just biased. Who knows, I'll probably end up giving it a try sometime this week.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:42 AM   #40
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

okay...so i've got a "thing"

i really do like the "customize your coach and get job offers based on how you set him up" thing.

but i'm wondering if there isn't a way to add an option that will like...allow the user to apply for a job at any of the team. because otherwise i think there'll be a bunch of complaints from people who just want to play with one team and don't want to poke around and create several coaches till they can get a job at that school...
Old 12-27-2005, 12:43 AM   #41
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo
Why didn't you just click any other buttons to move to the other screens? I don't think the recruiting screen being disabled locks up the game.

Oh. Duh. It looked like a popup window that had taken focus. I kept trying to click it off, never even thought of hitting something else.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:44 AM   #42
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo

i really do like the "customize your coach and get job offers based on how you set him up" thing.

but i'm wondering if there isn't a way to add an option that will like...allow the user to apply for a job at any of the team. because otherwise i think there'll be a bunch of complaints from people who just want to play with one team and don't want to poke around and create several coaches till they can get a job at that school...

I think the splash screen when you clsoe the game mentions that you can take control of any team in the full version.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:47 AM   #43
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think MSU is considered elite strictly because of Tom Izzo.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:49 AM   #44
timmynausea
College Starter

I was curious about the Michigan State vs. Indiana thing so I looked up some tournament results. Here they are since 2000:

Michigan State
2005 - Final Four
2004 - 1st round loss
2003 - Elite 8
2002 - 1st round loss
2001 - Final Four
2000 - NCAA Champs

Indiana
2005 - Did not make tournament
2004 - Did not make tournament
2003 - 2nd round loss
2002 - Lost in final
2001 - 1st round loss
2000 - 1st round loss
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:54 AM   #45
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think the splash screen when you clsoe the game mentions that you can take control of any team in the full version.

oh.

well i didn't bother to look at that...i was too busy firing up another demo.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:57 AM   #46
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Haven't actually got to the season yet, but I notice that there's not a single player in the ACC with a GPA under 2.8. The vast majority are 3.2+.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:59 AM   #47
Groundhog
Coordinator

Wow, good news! Downloading this sucker right now... If it's even in the same ball park as FBCB this will be a must purchase.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:59 AM   #48
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Anyone notice the coaching legacy thing? Look cool, hadn't heard about it before.

Old 12-27-2005, 01:10 AM   #49
Zippo
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo

If you create the coach with the highest ratings model, I think all the schools will become available.
Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:13 AM   #50
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo
If you create the coach with the highest ratings model, I think all the schools will become available.

nope. i tried that. with custom and custom for the attributes and "average" for everything else, and there were certainly schools missing (Duke and BC for two).