Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-02-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

New Orleans Status Updates--NO POLITICS

It's worth a shot.
The "Katrina hits Category 5" thread is really hard to read when you're trying to find out how people are, as it has been seriously clouded by the political pissing contest.

I really would like a thread to keep track of our New Orleans bretheren (or those with family in NO)--without the politics coming into it.

EF, any news for us? You're moving back to LA in a few weeks, right?
Masked, any word from your family?
Pumpy, any thoughts?
Anyone else I missed...?

As for my brother he's safely in Texas and has no intention of going back to NO, as near as I can tell. He may go back at some point in the far future, but he doesn't think his place is OK...if it isn't flooded (it might have escaped that), he thinks it might have been looted. As of now his plan is to hang out for another week or so in Texas then go up to Indiana to visit my sister and then over here to Columbia, MD to see my folks, and then possibly move to Portland, Oregon or Ashville, North Carolina. We wired him a little bit of money so he could buy some changes of clothes. As far as I know, though, mostly what he took out of NO with him was himself, about 2 changes of clothes, and his cat. Sadly, that does imply that his computers are all at his place in NO (including his laptop). Oh well, it's just stuff...just a shame it's expensive stuff.

/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:29 PM   #2
RendeR
Coordinator

I finally heard from my uncle and his family today. He stayed in Biloxi (house 4 miles from the coast) through the storm, and it appears that somehow the house made it through. He said everyone was ok and that he's on a scavenger hunt for gas for his generator.

Took a damn week for him to find a way to contact the family though, I can't imagine how people are dealing with missing loved ones. I'm not all that close to my uncle's family, but it was driving me nuts.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:37 PM   #3
Masked
College Starter

Quick update - Sunday, my parents went to Children's Hospital where my dad works. They were able to drive out of the city Wednesday and are now staying with relatives in western Louisiana. They are planning to be there for sometime, and my dad is setting up his practice there. It will be some time before the hospital reopens in New Orleans. Unfortunately, our house is severely flooded and by this point may be a total loss. And my cat could not be taken to the hospital with them. She was 19 and had been very sick for some time.

We have no information about any of our relatives in Mississippi, but, fortunately, they did not live on the coast.

Last edited by Masked : 09-02-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:42 PM   #4
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

From the other thread.
And, RendeR and Masked, glad to hear your families are OK. Very sorry about the house and cat, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
So, um, yeah, my friend - you know, the one I thought was dead all week - he called me this morning. He was in New Orleans East, one of the areas that was actually under several feet of water just from the hurricane (before the levee broke). He had four feet of water in his apartment on Monday. After living in it for three days, he finally ran out of food and swam in the floodwaters a mile to the nearest grocery store. He's not proud of it, but the store had already been broken into by other people, so he went in and took some canned food and some beverages so he could survive. He found a mattress floating around the area and put his groceries on top of it, and he pulled it back to his apartment, because, believe it or not, his flooded apartment was the only place that he felt safe. He stayed there until his longtime friend went looking for him and pulled him out. He's now in a shelter in Lake Charles, and somehow, his friend and his friend's family had no room to take him to their next stop. He's surrounded by strangers, he has been unable to reach his parents to let them know that he's alive. I felt terrible because I urged him to leave on Sunday morning, and the knucklehead refused to go. His priorities weren't in the right place, and he understands that now, but he had to go through hell to realize it. Even though I did everything I could from 1000 miles away, I would have felt pretty bad if he would have perished in this storm.

I'm sorry that I can't provide the board with any compelling political commentary, but I'm trying to get back into this thread just to give a unique perspective. It may sound strange, but I feel like I'm in a very strange situation, considering that I was fortunate enough (and I feel very guilty using that term) to have left the city right before all of this happened. Yeah yeah, boo-hoo, poor Pumpy. Still, if this is no longer the right thread to post anything like this, let me know and I'll just leave it alone again.

/tk
Old 09-02-2005, 08:49 PM   #5
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Since I had stopped posting in the other thread, there are a lot of things that I hadn't mentioned. I did just make a couple of posts there, though, and one of them mentioned a good friend of mine who somehow escaped after the storm. Still, since I haven't mentioned many of these things yet, they're going to just jump out at people. Sorry that I didn't give any background before, but that's the way things are.

My mother and sister are in Lafayette, Louisiana. They are actually about to rent a house out there for a few months. My sister had just started her final semester at UNO. I'm not sure what she's going to do as far as her degree is concerned yet. She may finish it up at UL-Lafayette, or she may just see if UNO reopens in January.

My father was on his way to Atlanta, last I heard. I haven't spoken with him since the storm, but my sister has. He's safe.

I had an aunt, a cousin, and an uncle all stay in New Orleans at the time of the storm. They all happened to be in New Orleans East, which was hit hard by the hurricane before the levee problems even started. They're on my mother's side, and my mother hasn't heard from them yet, nor have I. My mother and sister have tried to contact my aunt and cousin by cell phone, and they have not gotten a response. My mother admits that she may just be optimistic, but she thinks that she actually saw my aunt and cousin on the television in one of the crowds in New Orleans early this week. Again, this may just be optimism, but in reality, it's likely that none of those family members of mine survived. I hate to say it, but none of them were as well-equipped as my aforementioned friend was to handle that disaster.

There were other relatives of mine on my father's side whom I haven't spoken to in a couple of years. My dad might know what has happened to them. When I talk to him, I'll ask. I hope that they left before the storm even hit. I have a good feeling about some of them for various reasons, but there are others who I really couldn't make a guess on. I probably won't know anything about them for at least a couple of days, and if my dad doesn't know, it could be weeks before I find out.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:53 PM   #6
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Not New Orleans, but I finally got in touch with my best friend, who works at a TV station in Hattiesburg. The shitty part for him is, he just moved there for this job less than two weeks ago. Anyways, apparently his apartment made it through mostly ok, they just got the water turned back on this morning. Power may be a while, but at least his station got its generator back up and working. Phone coverage is spotty, he called and left me a message but I can't get back in touch with him.

The important thing to me is that he is ok, relatively speaking that area didn't get it as bad as the coast, but you never know for sure until you hear from somebody themselves.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:57 PM   #7
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

A personal update for me, family, and friends:

My sister has opened her home to employees form the Southern Center for Agricultural Research. The building was completely destroyed by the hurricane and flooding. My sisters works for the Northern Center here in Peoria...

All of the employees of the southern center are going to be scattered throughout the US at the various CAURs.

A girl on my volleyball team was expecting a call from the NO zoo earlier this week about a job... To think she could've already moved to new orleans...

sigh.

Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:17 PM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The other thread has become a mess and since you asked about updates, I'll copy my post from the other thread with the most recent update:

Pumpy, that is truly great news. It makes me feel a bit guilty about posting my own good news which pales in comparision of importance.

First, our plans to go to Olive Garden or a buffet changed as no one wanted either tonight. So, we went to a place called the "best barbeque in North Little Rock" by our hotel's clerk. It was quite good. The waitress recognized our Hibernia card as she used to live in New Orleans. She got the owner to make our 70 plus dollar meal half price! That was good news bit #1.

I just arrived back at the room and finally LSU has posted. I'm now offically on special leave with full pay!!!! That status is effective until September 30th. It will be re-evaluated at the end of the month. I can be re-assigned to wherever they need me, but they will make "all attempts" to place me where the storm forced me to re-locate. Therefore, it looks like there is a chance they'll provide me with work in Shreveport. Regardless, I will be paid and that just lessened the financial hit of this whole situation considerably.

Again, I sort of feel bad even worrying about that, when I read about situations such as Pumpy's friend went through. I'm glad he is well Pumpy.

Additional thoughts: I'm just amazed at the generosity of people in Little Rock. There are a lot of little things that people here are doing to help us, and it is greatly appreciated. Also, thank you everyone on this board who has sent well wishes/prayers our way.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:18 PM   #9
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
First, our plans to go to Olive Garden or a buffet changed as no one wanted either tonight. So, we went to a place called the "best barbeque in North Little Rock" by our hotel's clerk. It was quite good. The waitress recognized our Hibernia card as she used to live in New Orleans. She got the owner to make our 70 plus dollar meal half price! That was good news bit #1.

mmmmmm.....bar-b-que....*drool*
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:20 PM   #10
Galaxy
Coordinator

Jeebs gonna be pretty disappointed in you EF.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:22 PM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Jeebs gonna be pretty disappointed in you EF.

I don't want to sidetrack this thread from important updates, but we are planning on going to the Olive Garden no later than this Monday Night!

We just decided not to go there tonight.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-02-2005 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:24 PM   #12
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I don't want to sidetrack this thread from important updates, but we are planning on going to the Olive Garden no later than this Monday Night!

We just decided not to go there tonight.

Not side-tracking. Just make sure not to call it a date.

Are you just going to stay in the hotel in Little Rock until you find out something? How is the family coping with everything?

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-02-2005 at 09:27 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:25 PM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just read Pumpy's most recent post. I'll be praying that all of your family survived Pumpy.

I know it was a harmless joke, Galaxy Our first apartment (of the two) isn't going to be available in Shreveport until the 9th. So, unless LSU wants me to move earlier, we will be staying at the hotel in Little Rock until either the 7th or the 9th if we can't find a hotel in Shreveport that accepts pets for the 7th through the 9th.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-02-2005 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:37 PM   #14
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, Pumpy...
Quite powerful stuff. I found that we've been going crazy with just my brother in the New Orleans area...I can't imagine having my entire family down there. I'll keep your family in my thoughts.

EF, glad to hear things are going more or less as good as can be expected. Sounds like you've got a good plan for rebuilding and getting back to "normal," which is awesome.

ice, glad to hear your friend is OK, too.

I probably missed someone, but so far it seems the consensus here is mostly that people are doing OK and trying to get back to some semblance of normal. Please keep us updated on how things are.

/tk
Old 09-02-2005, 09:37 PM   #15
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

that's wonderful news EF. And Pumpy, I'm really sorry to hear about your family. I'll keep hoping for the best.

I heard from one of my more avid callers in Ponchachoula today. His house is okay, but the power's still out in the area. Have another regular caller in Pascagoula, MS. Haven't heard from him yet.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:45 PM   #16
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

There is somebody from work who had 7 siblings, nieces, nephews, etc. parrish in the storm.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:53 PM   #17
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

I heard from my friend that was at UNO today. He was in Mobile and is catching a flight back to Lexington tomorrow.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:00 PM   #18
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'd like to say something here because I really need to get it off my chest. I've already said it to my wife, and she understands and has been very supportive and helpful. Like I mentioned before, however, I wish to provide my perspective of things to anybody here who's interested. If the below sounds like whining or that I'm downplaying the problems that the people of the Gulf region are going through, I sincerely apologize. I would never intend to suggest that my personal concerns are anywhere near as important as the terrors that those people have faced. With that said, I still want to give some idea of what I'm feeling, because I've been awfully quiet on the board this week. I'm about to tell you why.

I feel absolutely terrible about being in Pennsylvania right now. My wife's family lives in Memphis, so although she can be supportive, she just can't feel the way I do right now. I know that my family is happy that my wife and I did not have to endure any part of this tragedy, but a part of me wishes that I had still been in Louisiana for the hurricane. It hurts me to know that my parents and my sister may have lost their homes. I can't imagine what it's like for them right now. Nine years ago, my mom, my sister, and I lost our home to a fire. We didn't know where we were going to go, but we bounced around between family members and friends for a few months until we got back on our feet. I realize now that I had always been comfortable with that, because we went through the experience together.

I've always been very close with my mother and sister. I don't mean to say that I'm not close with my father, because I am, but he moved out when I was about 12. I still saw him very regularly, and he's always been a good father to me, but I lived with my mother and sister until just a couple of years ago. We've been through everything together. Now, even though nobody could have predicted the timing of this event, I feel like I abandoned them at the worst possible time. I'm trying not to feel this way, but if this had to happen, I wish this would have happened six weeks ago when I was still there. I would never wish for my wife to deal with this, so I'm having a hard time reconciling these feelings, because she would have been there with me. I know that my mom and sister are getting through this a lot better than thousands of other families, and they're going to be fine. It just doesn't seem fair that they're going through this and I'm not. I went to my first day of work up here today. It's only a temporary job, but up until last week, I had been looking forward to some work because I wanted some spending money. I couldn't enjoy working again, though, because the places where my family worked are gone. It doesn't feel right that I have my new home, my car, my material possessions, my clothes -- my motherfucking clothes. We were together through everything, and now at the worst time in their lives, I have many of the things that I used to only dream about. It's just not fair.

I briefly spoke to my mother about this the other day, and she assured me that they're all going to be OK. In my heart, I know that they will be, because they're strong people. I just wish I was there to prove that I'm strong, too. Instead, I'm sitting here at my damn computer in dry, crystal clear Pennsylvania with tears in my eyes.

Maybe I'm not as strong as I thought.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:06 PM   #19
Swaggs
Coordinator

Pumpy, in case you are unwilling to go into the other thread, Jim made this post, which probably summarizes a lot of our feelings towards you at this time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
On the other hand, I have all the respect in the world for people like Pumpy's friend, who did what he had to do to survive, and still feels a little bad about it. Good people make tough decisions, and aren't overly proud of themselves.

Last edited by Swaggs : 09-02-2005 at 11:07 PM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:08 PM   #20
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Thanks, Swaggs. As much of as a bonehead as my friend is, I am extremely proud of him for what he's done this week.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:14 PM   #21
Franklinnoble
Banned

Pumpy, I think it's great that you're so conscious of the timing of your situation. I would suggest that God has blessed you for a reason here - and that you should prayerfully consider how to best use the opportunity you've been given.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:16 PM   #22
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Pumpy, I don't know what to say. Seeing the pain you're in is heartbreaking. I'm so fortunate that I don't have friends and family in the area down there -- I can't imagine what you're going through. You're not whining. These are the kinds of things you need to get out and talk about. I'm glad you're wife is there for you.

I completely understand the feelings you're going through. A lot of people feel that way when things are going well for them and someone they love is going through a trial. But look at it another way; there are a lot of things about this situation that are fortunate for you and your family. For instance, I'll bet your mother is thankful to god that you're safe and she doesn't have to worry about you being someplace in trouble. Based on what I've seen from you over the years, I'll be willing to bet that if you're mother knew you were in danger it would tear her apart. She's glad you're someplace safe and secure.

Thanks to events in your life, you're also probably in a position to offer different help to your family and friends than you could if you were there That's a god send; not a curse. You are where you are at for a reason. I can't tell you how much it says about you that you have those feelings. It means you're one of the good guys. Don't punish yourself. You don't deserve it. It'll get better. I know it never feels that way, but it really will get better.

Keep us up to date, as you feel like it. If this place can be an outlet for you, use it. I can't think of a better thing this fourm can do than be a place to vent and get your feelings out. Hang in there! A lot of people are thinking about you, your family and your friends.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 09-02-2005 at 11:17 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:17 PM   #23
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Pumpy, I think it's great that you're so conscious of the timing of your situation. I would suggest that God has blessed you for a reason here - and that you should prayerfully consider how to best use the opportunity you've been given.

My mother would agree with you here. I'm trying to keep my life moving up here. I'm finally on the verge of getting a pretty decent job, my wife is having the time of her life teaching computer science, and we even get to see live hockey for the first time in three years. I have been unable to afford to make a donation to the Red Cross so far, but when I get my first paycheck, I certainly will. The Red Cross did a hell of a job taking care of my mom and sister when they were in a shelter, and they're doing the same job all over the Gulf coast right now. While there's that part of me that wishes to be there, another part of me is getting ready to take care of myself in the same way that my family was taken care of.

Thank you.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:20 PM   #24
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

this is going to sound incredibly gay, but if there's one person in the world I could hug right now, it'd be you Pumpy.

Love you buddy. You and your family are in my heart and my prayers.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:25 PM   #25
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

To everybody who has comments for me, thank you. I don't want anyone to feel left out from my thanks because I appreciate it from all of you. This is a big help in keeping my head together.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:32 PM   #26
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
this is going to sound incredibly gay, but if there's one person in the world I could hug right now, it'd be you Pumpy.

Yeah, that's pretty gay.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:34 PM   #27
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards

are you trying to steal Subby's title?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:37 PM   #28
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Hey, I'll take some gay right now. Take what you can get, huh?
Old 09-02-2005, 11:50 PM   #29
RendeR
Coordinator

Hang in there man, with something this humungous happening, we've all gotta stop and realize we're all together in this. We're all thinking of you and yours even as we think of our own.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:53 PM   #30
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Hey, I'll take some gay right now. Take what you can get, huh?

Sure. I'll bet Cam will even be good enough to give you a reach-around.

Old 09-03-2005, 12:11 AM   #31
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

EaglesFan - awesome news. You've become a regular topic around my house this week & this is certainly going to be well received downstairs (tonight you were on-the-way-to- dinner conversation, I even tried to steer them to Olive Garden as a show of solidarity
No dice on my end either).

Render & Masked - glad to hear there's good news on your respective relatives.

PumpyTudors - Dang, this is the third thing I've typed in this post to you, neither of the first two got it right, maybe 3rd times the charm. ... ... Aw crap, this ain't gonna be right either. I can't say "I know how you feel", but I sure can say that I feel an awful lot for what you must be going through. I don't know why yours is the story that made me cry for the first time amid all the stories, but it did. My heart goes out to you & your entire family, along with as sincere prayers for comfort & relief as I've ever uttered.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:43 AM   #32
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Pumpy, I just got back to my computer and your posts have brought tears to my eyes as well. I think I'm feeling something similar to what you are feeling on a MUCH smaller scale. I was thinking about it earlier. I feel bad about my good fortune. I think it is a variation of survivor's guilt or some similar phenomenon. In any case, I'm not going to try to overintellectualize this, but you as well as your entire family and the entire city are in my prayers.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:45 AM   #33
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

I've just been trying to hold it together for my family and myself the last few days. I'm not ashamed to say I'm crying right now as my wife is sleeping in the bed beside the table.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:49 AM   #34
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Dola -

I've just been trying to hold it together for my family and myself the last few days. I'm not ashamed to say I'm crying right now as my wife is sleeping in the bed beside the table.

Gay.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:49 AM   #35
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Dola -

Believe me, I know where you're coming from. We each have our own separate situations, but I think our feelings come from the same place. You're doing a terrific job handling this entire situation, and I can only imagine what it's like. Everything's going to be great for you.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:00 AM   #36
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Well, one of the Imperial League owners checked in today with us. He lives in Slidell and is moving all around it sounds like.

Still waiting on another owner who lives in Gulfport.

edit: and expect plenty of wet/dry vacs to be down there, that was what my company sent down there on our trucks, as they do with most hurricanes I think.

Last edited by Cringer : 09-03-2005 at 01:01 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 02:22 AM   #37
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
edit: and expect plenty of wet/dry vacs to be down there, that was what my company sent down there on our trucks, as they do with most hurricanes I think.

I've just read through most of the twenty whatever page thread on the Hurricane. I posted there, but I don't think the last few pages of that thread put me in the best frame of mind, so my post there really doesn't convey my feelings about the events, and how they have affected many of the posters in this thread.

My heart goes out to everyone here who has been displaced or had their family uprooted or even lost by this disaster. You and yours are in my throughts and prayers.

It is odd. This week I was completely slammed at work. I've been putting in 16 and 20 hour days all week long. I left relatively early 6PM Thursday night, and that is when I learned on the radio that the levees on Lake Pontchartrain had failed. I knew what that meant for New Orleans, and only then did I start to understand why that Katrina Thread at FOFC had been at the top of the page for so long. Earlier that day I was actually a more than a little pissed with a vendor who had diverted the generator I had ordered weeks ago to a company in Mississippi. Oops.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:52 AM   #38
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Wow reading this thread has made ME cry (just reading such emotional notes from people).

Pumpy, I can't exactly know what you're feeling, but it does remind me a bit of how I felt on 9/11, being separated from my family, all of us in areas near the sites of 9/11. I'll still be thinking about you and your family. You sound like a very strong family, which I've found is quite often the most important factor in getting through these things, so I have faith that you all will.

As for the rest, thanks for keeping this on-topic and please keep us updated with how things are going. We are family here on some level, and I want to know how the family is doing.

I guess I'm allowed to cry, though, I *am* a girl..

/tk
Old 09-03-2005, 08:56 AM   #39
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
I guess I'm allowed to cry, though, I *am* a girl..

AFAIC, everybody "human" is allowed to cry as needed through this one.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:58 AM   #40
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
AFAIC, everybody "human" is allowed to cry as needed through this one.

Sorry,that was my lame attempt at at least getting a smile out of people in response to some of the previous "gay" comments (which again, I took as levity on some level), etc.

Sorry if that was mis-represented or misunderstood.

/tk
Old 09-03-2005, 09:09 AM   #41
JeeberD
General Manager

Once again, I'm glad to hear that everyone is safe and sound...

Saw this article this morning, and I'm amazed that they're going to be shipping evacuees 1100 miles to the west. Of course, with Houston already bursting at the seams I'm very glad to see El Paso stepping up to help out however it can.

Quote:
Evacuees coming to El Paso

400 could be given shelter on Monday

By Adriana M. Chávez
and Daniel Borunda

The Downtown civic center was converted into a huge shelter and hospitals were put on alert as El Paso mobilized Friday for a possible influx of hundreds of victims of Hurricane Katrina.

“El Paso is ready to do what the state of Texas needs us to do,” Mayor John Cook said. Hurricane victims could arrive in El Paso this weekend, but their arrival is not likely until Monday.

A massive mobilization of local emergency resources began at 5:30 p.m. Friday as the El Paso Emergency Operations Center was activated because of a false expectation of four planeloads of hurricane survivors en route to the city.

Cook said city officials received “bad information” from the military about refugees arriving in El Paso early Friday evening.

By 8 p.m. Friday, volunteers were assembling a field of cots in a section of the Judson F. Williams Convention Center and bringing in other supplies in preparation for the refugees’ arrival. Some volunteers were
still in training after attending a Red Cross orientation session Thursday.

“I want to give back to the community what the community has done for me,” said Eastsider Deborah Moreno, 48, who was at her first training session Friday when volunteers were mobilized and sent to the convention center. “I want to go out and help in the rescue” efforts. Fort Bliss donated cots. Hotels donated bedding.

Though no victims arrived Friday, about 400 hurricane survivors may come to El Paso in the next few days, and the number of arrivals could leap to 5,000 as shelters fill up in other parts of Texas, Cook said.

Other city facilities such as recreation centers may be used to shelter refugees, and Fort Bliss officials have offered to help as needed, including as a refuge for displaced military families.

About 75 police officers surrounded the civic center and city hall in preparation for the refugees’ arrival but were told to “stand down” after 8 p.m., Cook said. Federal funds for disaster relief are expected to reimburse the city of El Paso for expenses related to Hurricane Katrina. El Paso constables, police and sheriff’s deputies will be on hand for security.

“We’re more prepared than other cities were,” Cook said. “Those problems are not going to happen in El Paso.”

More than 100,000 hurricane victims could head into Texas over the coming days, said the office of Gov. Rick Perry. A recent Associated Press count listed more than 150,000 people already in hotels and refugee sites.

Lt. Danny Medrano, assistant coordinator for El Paso City and County Emergency Management, said evacuees will be housed in three separate areas in the convention center: a triage or staging area, a sleeping area and a dining area. Medrano said the sleeping area will also be separated into areas to divide the elderly, children and families, and single men and women. It has 12 showers.

El Paso has more than 300 hospital beds on standby as city hospitals were told by federal emergency officials to be prepared.

The notification has allowed the officials for the hospitals to prepare their staffs for a possible increase in patients. Rene Hurtado, spokesman for Sierra Providence Health Network, said the hospital staffs have also been informed that they may be needed to come in on their time off to help.

Thomason Hospital spokeswoman Margaret Althoff-Olivas said the hospital was told to expect about 550 evacuees, who would be brought to El Paso by plane. City officials said refugees who need medical care would first be taken to Beaumont Army Medical Center, and then to Thomason Hospital as Beaumont filled up. Once Thomason Hospital was filled, patients would be be taken to private hospitals.

Cook said he was proud of the number of El Pasoans who flooded phone lines at City Hall to volunteer or to offer donations or housing. Police spokesman Detective Carlos Carrillo said police are urging people to donate time or money for now, not goods such as food or water.

For information on how to help in El Paso, visit the city’s Web site at www.elpasotexas.gov. Residents who want to donate supplies, housing or services may call the El Paso hot line at 541-4145.

Also, in an article about New Orleans Saint (and former Miner) Brian Young it sounds like the Saints will be playing their games at LSU this year.

Quote:
Young OK: Meanwhile, former UTEP standout Brian Young is OK after evacuating New Orleans with the rest of his Saints teammates before Hurricane Katrina hit.

Nate Poss, UTEP's assistant athletic director for football operations, said Young has no idea what happened to two of his houses in New Orleans.

"He has no idea because they flew the team to Oakland, and his wife took off to St. Louis to be with her family," Poss said. "They're leaving Oakland this weekend, and they're going to house the whole season in San Antonio. They think they'll be playing at (LSU's) Tiger Stadium, but they're not sure yet.

"He knows one home was probably completely ruined. He said he talked to people back in New Orleans that saw alligators and sharks swimming down the street he lived on."

As for Young's injured knee, Poss said it's good to go.

"He said the knee is healing and he'd be ready for game one, wherever they play."

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:15 AM   #42
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Compared to this board, I have massive survivors guilt. I live up here. My parent's house and sister's apartment are in a part of town that seems to have come out pretty OK. My Aunt's house East of the City is gone (probably still underwater). My best friends parents' house was in the middle of most of the looting. It's probably gone. But, unlike Pumpy, I know that everyone has gotten out and safe. Unlike EF27, I have no property down there. I'm fucking lucky as hell--even though that's hard for me to beleive sometimes.

Like Pumpy, I want to be there helping. It is really nice that I have my sister and brother-in-law up here. Taking care of them has helped us feel like we are doing something.

My wife and I were talking. What finally causes us to break down aren't the pictures of the Superdome and other large landmarks. It's the pictures of the little places that are ruined. The places around the corner that you recognize that are looted out or drowned. It's all the little things that you didn't even know that you were taking for granted that you may never get to do again.

And it's knowing that there are so many . . . . so many people that I passed on the street hundreds of time driving to school, going downtown, getting a cup of coffee--who are dead. Dead.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:57 AM   #43
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
Sorry if that was mis-represented or misunderstood.
/tk

Yours wasn't (at least not by me), but mine was I guess. I was trying to joke back with you kinda the same way, I just meant "don't worry, it's not just a girl thing".

You meant well, I meant well, we each misunderstood ... but y'know what, let's not worry about it. Hopefully we're all clear now & this thread can continue to serve its good purpose.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:08 AM   #44
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
My wife and I were talking. What finally causes us to break down aren't the pictures of the Superdome and other large landmarks. It's the pictures of the little places that are ruined. The places around the corner that you recognize that are looted out or drowned. It's all the little things that you didn't even know that you were taking for granted that you may never get to do again.

And it's knowing that there are so many . . . . so many people that I passed on the street hundreds of time driving to school, going downtown, getting a cup of coffee--who are dead. Dead.

This has gotten me, too. I have tried to describe it to the people I've been meeting at my new job (even though I'm only going to be at the job for a couple of days, when people find out that I'm from New Orleans, they open up to me with thoughtful comments and questions). I tell them about how I recognize so many of those places that I've seen, and that's why I can't watch any more news coverage. I stopped watching three or four days ago, and I don't think I'm going to watch any more for a long time.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:25 AM   #45
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I didn't read any of the other thread, so I'm probably coming to all of this a bit late. Having said that, I'd just like to say that New Orleans FOFCers have been in my thoughts and I'm sincerely hoping things will end up working out for all of you and your families. What a terrible, terrible event.

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 09-03-2005 at 10:30 AM. Reason: abbreviation for New Orleans was a bad idea
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:29 AM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
I didn't read any of the other thread, so I'm probably coming to all of this a bit late. Having said that, I'd just like to say that NO FOFCers have been in my thoughts and I'm sincerely hoping things will end up working out for all of you and your families. What a terrible, terrible event.

*Caution* Humor Ahead ... repeat *Humor Warning*

I had to laugh a little after I read your post the first time, major "WTF" moment.

I read "...that NO FOFCers have been in my thoughts" as the word "no", not as the abbreviation for New Orleans.

I thought you had finally snapped completely until I read it the second time.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-03-2005 at 10:29 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:31 AM   #47
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

JIMG - Holy crap! Good catch! I've edited my post. *phew*
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:31 AM   #48
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, this is part of what gets to me too. I think of all the places Kathy and I dated (yes they were dates) and I realize that we may never get to go to those places again. We truly do take so many things for granted that we don't even realize at the time.

I've had to stop watching the coverage as well. I'll read the text from the updates at wwltv or wdsu's websites, but I'm just overloaded on the pics for now.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:36 AM   #49
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Compared to this board, I have massive survivors guilt. I live up here. My parent's house and sister's apartment are in a part of town that seems to have come out pretty OK. My Aunt's house East of the City is gone (probably still underwater). My best friends parents' house was in the middle of most of the looting. It's probably gone. But, unlike Pumpy, I know that everyone has gotten out and safe. Unlike EF27, I have no property down there. I'm fucking lucky as hell--even though that's hard for me to beleive sometimes.

Like Pumpy, I want to be there helping. It is really nice that I have my sister and brother-in-law up here. Taking care of them has helped us feel like we are doing something.

I know what you mean. I sit here in perfectly dry, calm weather with no gasoline shortages. Other than my love for the region based on traveling through it once (and wanted to have gone back), I have no personal connections. But my heart does go out to Pumpy and his family friends, as well as to all of the have endured losses, deaths and displacements. What little I have contributed, I do hope and pray that it will make a difference. I also pray for perserverance, patience and attention to those needing care in all of the ways possible. Through this tragedy, I pray that those in Gulf Region and everywhere else can walk within the peace, joy and comfort of our Lord.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:36 AM   #50
chinaski
College Prospect

We're still holding hope for my gf's great aunt and her great aunts friends. Her name is Doris Breland and she was last seen in her home in Pascagoula Mississippi. Just a bunch of lil 90 year old ladies just the thought and I start bawling again, she the sweetest little thing you could ever imagine we know the whole area where her home is was destroyed, they said they were going to ride it out, were just hoping someone forced them out in time.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote