Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-24-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Super Bowl XLIV

Date: February 7th
Time: Kickoff is approximately 6:25pm Eastern

The (16-2) Indianapolis Colts face off against the (15-3) New Orleans Saints. This years big game pits too high powered offenses with big name Quarterbacks against two underrated and opportunistic defenses. It's sure to be a slobberknocker, and I know I'm excited. Post your thoughts, questions, concerns, complains, rants, and ramblings here.

Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wondering if we should have a party.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

This will be one of the best Super Bowls in recent memory. I am not a fan of either team, but I will probably watch at least some of the game.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I'm a big Peyton Manning fan, but I have some good friends who live in (and are originally from) the city of New Orleans. I'm pretty torn on who to pull for. I imagine I'll be flip-flopping a half dozen times over the next two weeks. Having just moved to Hawai'i, it's going to be weird watching the big game at 1:30pm. Even with the super long halftime show the game will still probably be over around 5.

Overall I'm just happy that no matter what the outcome, I'm going to be happy for the winner. Neither team has a significant injury that comes to mind, so it should truly be "the best team will emerge victorious".
Old 01-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Should be a good game. I am guessing it will depend on how much pressure the Colts D line can get on Brees. Their line was good at limiting the Vikings pass push today so Id assume they will be able to slow down the Colts as well.

The concerning part if I were a Saints fan is the fact that the Vikings dbacks did a good job on the Saints Wrs today. If they are stuggling to get open against the Vikings I cant imagine them doing any better against the Colts DBs.

I think the Colts will adjust better to the grass/outside setting therefore I predict

Colts 27
Saints 20
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Hoping for a Colts victory to further seal up Manning's place in history. Montana, Bradshaw, Brady, and Aikman have the superbowls. Favre, Marino, and Manning put up the stats. If Manning can break some of the stat records and take home 3 or 4 superbowls, I would think the conversation would be over about the best QB of all time.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:53 PM   #7
JediKooter
Coordinator

When was the last time the teams with the best records from each conference made the Super Bowl the same season?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
This will be one of the best Super Bowls in recent memory. I am not a fan of either team, but I will probably watch at least some of the game.

Too easy.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:00 AM   #9
Tigercat
College Starter

If Brees out duels Manning and the Saints win, which wouldn't be the most improbable outcome in the world, I think Drew would begin to write a resume for greatness and HOF material. He would still need a couple more impactful years, but beating the best in the Super Bowl would be a good start.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:02 AM   #10
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Line is Colts -5.5 Total 56

Loving the under.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:35 AM   #11
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post

Awesome. Thanks!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 01-25-2010, 12:47 AM   #12
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

That funky monkey
Old 01-25-2010, 12:57 AM   #13
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Date: February 7th
Time: Kickoff is approximately 6:25pm Eastern

Hmm, last time Indy played in a Super Bowl it rained.
Hopefully better weather will show up so this highly anticipated matchup
goes as everyone thinks it should.
If it turns into a soggy bog, it'll be low scoring.

Last edited by tucker rocky : 01-25-2010 at 12:57 AM.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:14 AM   #14
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Neither team has a significant injury that comes to mind, so it should truly be "the best team will emerge victorious".

Indeed, the franchise all-time leading rusher (Saints) and the Defensive Player of the Year from a couple of years ago (Colts) are relatively minor.

Of course, both have been out all season, more or less, have they not? I don't know the Saints injury situation beyond Deuce, but I know the Colts are also missing a starting CB (Marlin Jackson), a starting LB (Tyjuan Hagler), their #2 WR (Anthony Gonzalez) and of course, Jim Sorgi. I hope Jerraud Powers is healthy for the SB, don't recall how bad his foot injury was, he's been great filling in for Jackson all year. Lacey has been very good too, for a rookie.

Can't wait to see how the offense does next year with a healthy Gonzalez added to Wayne, Collie, and Garçon. I'm sure Peyton will have plenty of fun.

Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't care if the Colts traded Bob Sanders away, it's not like he's ever healthy enough to make an impact anyway. Which really is a shame, as when he's healthy he's a special player.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:18 AM   #15
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Deuce retired after last season and just re-signed for the playoffs. Hes a non factor these days.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:29 AM   #16
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Deuce retired after last season and just re-signed for the playoffs. Hes a non factor these days.

Did he? Shows how much I pay attention to the rest of the league. Don't know then if the Saints have any injuries comparable to the Sanders (or the other starters who went out). Most of those for the Colts have been out the majority of the season however, and thus the Colts didn't seem to miss them.

Though it does make one wonder how much better they'd have been with players like Sanders and Jackson healthy.

Though, as mentioned earlier, having Bob Sanders healthy is about as likely to happen as winning the lottery.

Last edited by PraetorianX : 01-25-2010 at 01:29 AM.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:19 AM   #17
Butter
Coordinator

Brett Favre shows up in the 2nd half and plays all-time QB for both teams as the NFL desperately attempts to bring in some more viewers from the East and West Coasts.

Last edited by Butter : 01-25-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:33 AM   #18
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Line is Colts -5.5 Total 56

Loving the under.

Really? I expect a 34-30 game. I'm loving the over. All I have to say with these two high powered offenses going at it any number in those Super Bowl blocks will play. This is the 1st Super Bowl in a while I'm looking forward to watching.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:53 AM   #19
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Really? I expect a 34-30 game. I'm loving the over. All I have to say with these two high powered offenses going at it any number in those Super Bowl blocks will play. This is the 1st Super Bowl in a while I'm looking forward to watching.

Great offenses no doubt but they are ball control offenses so it will take awhile to score. Plus its on grass which will slow teams down. For a game to go over 56 you either need Special teams Tds or a lot of huge plays. These defenses are bend but dont break types and more than 2 TDs a quarter seems like a lot to me.

The Vikings/Saints total was set at 53 today and I'm not understanding why the Super Bowl number is higher being the Colts have a better defense, not as explosive of players on offense that the Vikings do, and it is being played on grass and not turf.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #20
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that the under is a safe bet.

I also think that 5.5 is a bit high for the Colts. However, considering that the Colts palyed better on Sunday and Payton Manning will attract more casual money than the Saints, it seems set about right for me.

A Saints money line/under parlay might be good value.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #21
Rizon
Pro Starter

Colts 128
Saints 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:15 AM   #22
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I wouldn't touch the over/under until I see what the weather is like in Miami that day.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #23
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Colts 128
Saints 21

You are exaggerating your prediction right? 21 for the Saints is way too high.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #24
remper
Mascot

I would love a good game, but I really don't think we're going to get one. I predict the Colts pulling away in the 2nd half, and winning easily. I hope it's closer, but... the Saints looked in over their head at times against the Vikings. It will be really bad if they play that way against the Colts.
remper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #25
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I'M GOING TO MIAMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just gotta find a ticket now...
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #26
DanGarion
Coordinator

Go DREW BREES!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #27
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I haven't decided who to cheer for yet because I haven't received my numbers from the pool I'm in.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #28
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I wouldn't touch the over/under until I see what the weather is like in Miami that day.

Problem with waiting is the number looks so good right now(8tds) 56 points. By waiting you are running the risk of getting it at 54 or something like that which takes a lot of the value from the current line. If its like any other Super Bowl the public will pound the favs and the over while the "sharps" nail the dog and the under. Id speculate the total was set high for this very reason.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #29
JediKooter
Coordinator

Final score: 53-51 with the winning team getting a safety for the win.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #30
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Problem with waiting is the number looks so good right now(8tds) 56 points. By waiting you are running the risk of getting it at 54 or something like that which takes a lot of the value from the current line. If its like any other Super Bowl the public will pound the favs and the over while the "sharps" nail the dog and the under. Id speculate the total was set high for this very reason.

If this were a random week 8 game, I think that Indy would be favored by 3. That line is high b/c of the expectation of casual money piling on the name they know (Manning).
Old 01-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #31
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I can't really root against either team, but Manning already has his, so I'll be pulling for the Saints. It would be a great thing for the city of New Orleans.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #32
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Oh, and my early thoughts are that the Colts are the better team and should win. However, the Saints have an explosive offense and an opportunistic defense, so it would not shock me at all to see them win.

I am all about the bold predictions.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #33
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by remper View Post
I would love a good game, but I really don't think we're going to get one. I predict the Colts pulling away in the 2nd half, and winning easily. I hope it's closer, but... the Saints looked in over their head at times against the Vikings. It will be really bad if they play that way against the Colts.

This might be hard for those outside the city to comprehend, but I really think the Saints will be under a LOT less pressure in the Super Bowl than last night. I'm actually expecting a much more care-free and nothing-to-lose attitude from them in Miami. The Saints were TIGHT last night, especially late. The Colts may well win, it's more likely than not they will, but to extrapolate a Super Bowl prediction based only on last night's game may not be wise.

As someone who has watched every play this season, the Saints are actually a pretty tough team to get a handle on, as they've run the gamut from unbeatable to losing at home to Tampa Bay. But the above is my best guess.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #34
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
This might be hard for those outside the city to comprehend, but I really think the Saints will be under a LOT less pressure in the Super Bowl than last night. I'm actually expecting a much more care-free and nothing-to-lose attitude from them in Miami.

While I can see the thought behind your reasoning, I don't think I buy it. Maybe the team, as a group, feels less pressure now because they finally got the organization to a Super Bowl and might feel like they've finally allowed the city to recover from Katrina, etc. But on an individual basis, these guys all know it could either be their only shot at a championship, or for guys who have one already, could be their last shot at another. Brees is doing monster things from a statistical standpoint, but he also knows that QBs for the most part get evaluated based on rings, rightly or wrongly. The Super Bowl is too big a stage, with the whole two week buildup adding to it, for anyone to ever go into it not feeling pressure, IMO of course.

But I'll still accept "you just don't get it" as an answer .
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #35
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
While I can see the thought behind your reasoning, I don't think I buy it. Maybe the team, as a group, feels less pressure now because they finally got the organization to a Super Bowl and might feel like they've finally allowed the city to recover from Katrina, etc. But on an individual basis, these guys all know it could either be their only shot at a championship, or for guys who have one already, could be their last shot at another. Brees is doing monster things from a statistical standpoint, but he also knows that QBs for the most part get evaluated based on rings, rightly or wrongly. The Super Bowl is too big a stage, with the whole two week buildup adding to it, for anyone to ever go into it not feeling pressure, IMO of course.

But I'll still accept "you just don't get it" as an answer .

Well, I didn't say there'd be no pressure, just less. Because it was the kind of pressure that went beyond sports. It wasn't the typical "win or else" pressure, it was "the happiness of throngs of desperate people, who all slavishly love you, depends on this" pressure. Again not a particularly healthy thing, but that's how it is here. There will still be the regular pressures that come with the Super Bowl for sure, but this city is so deliriously happy right now I don't think the above factor is in play anymore.

Of course, one could take the same argument and surmise that the Saints will be the "just happy to be there" team and get their butt kicked. Like I said, this team is hard to read.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #36
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
Well, I didn't say there'd be no pressure, just less. Because it was the kind of pressure that went beyond sports. It wasn't the typical "win or else" pressure, it was "the happiness of throngs of desperate people, who all slavishly love you, depends on this" pressure. Again not a particularly healthy thing, but that's how it is here. There will still be the regular pressures that come with the Super Bowl for sure, but this city is so deliriously happy right now I don't think the above factor is in play anymore.

Of course, one could take the same argument and surmise that the Saints will be the "just happy to be there" team and get their butt kicked. Like I said, this team is hard to read.

+1 on everything you said. It would be a poor bet to bet against the Saints looking better in the Super Bowl. It may not be enough with the Saints D personnel against Manning, but it will be a better looking team on Super Bowl Sunday.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #37
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
I'M GOING TO MIAMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just gotta find a ticket now...

Awesome. My dad and I are going as well, picking up our tickets Wednesday.

It's going to be a long two weeks waiting for this game.

I'm expecting a good one, last possession may decide it. I can't see the Saints doing much slow down the Colts offense, but I don't see the Colts slowing them down either unless Freeney and Mathis get on track.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:09 PM   #38
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Normally I always pull for the Colts as my 2nd favorite team, Peyton and Reggie Wayne (also from NOLA), Joe Addai at LSU- a great team, but I'll bel against them this time...

I completely agree with Lloydlungs I think there will be less pressure, I was sick last night- if I would've had a trashcan I would've puked on that final drive by the Vikes... (and I don't drink). It seemed like getting there was our battle and now this is all lagniappe. We're playing on borrowed time?

Got a hotel booked, I'll be making the drive (about 15 hours), and am hoping to win the season ticket holder superbowl lottery- but if not, I'll have to dish out a couple grand to get a seat.

Last edited by Doug5984 : 01-25-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #39
Logan
Head Coach

Strong dedication Doug, good job.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #40
RendeR
Coordinator

I gotta pull for the Saints. I love seeing a first time SB winner, especially with as long as this team has waited just to get to the big game.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #41
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I think if you can get 5.5 and the saints you take it.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #42
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Thanks for starting this thread. I was afraid no one would do it.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #43
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post

I'm just wondering, have you watched any Superbowls recently? We've had two of the best ALL TIME in the past few years; this will have to be quite a doozy to beat Giants/Pats or Steelers/Cards.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #44
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
If its like any other Super Bowl the public will pound the favs and the over

That seems to be happening. The lines I am seeing now are 5.5 and one place with 6, while the over has gone up a half point to 56.5.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #45
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. I was afraid no one would do it.

No problem. I'm your man.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #46
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
I'm just wondering, have you watched any Superbowls recently? We've had two of the best ALL TIME in the past few years; this will have to be quite a doozy to beat Giants/Pats or Steelers/Cards.

lol yeah, and he's even a Steelers fan!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #47
ColtCrazy
College Starter

This Super Bowl has potential to be great because of the quality of the QBs in the game. Very few Super Bowls have matched two great quarterbacks. (I'm beginning to move Brees into great territory. He's just 31 and is in the top 40 in every major passing category, including 4th all time in passing yards per game).

There's been better QB matchups in Super Bowl history, but at the time of their careers, this is definitely one of the better matchups. If they both get into a rhythm, it could be a very enjoyable Super Bowl.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #48
Danny
Head Coach

Hue Jackson chose the Raiders over the Bears! lol
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #49
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I only watch the Super Bowl if Brandon Jacobs is playing. He's the best.

Edit: whoops posted this from the wrong account

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 01-26-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #50
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

For those that care Scott Green will be the referee for the Super Bowl. My college assigner Gene Steratore is the alternate white hat.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 01-26-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote