Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-07-2005, 07:14 PM   #1
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Arrested Development - Tonight

The Triathalon scene - followed by the line - "Actually, Lucille went down faster". I love this show.

Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:18 PM   #2
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I WILL be bummed when it gets cancelled.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:21 PM   #3
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

One of us has to be a Neilsen family!
Old 11-07-2005, 07:43 PM   #4
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
One of us has to be a Neilsen family!

"He was the reason The Jetsons got cancelled"

One of my favorite TV lines of all time. I know, I'm pathetic.

Anyone know where the line comes from?
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:56 PM   #5
Coop
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
I WILL be bummed when it gets cancelled.

Nothing like thinking optimistic. Btw both episodes were great.. mole vs jetpack.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:05 PM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

BRILLIANT... both of them!

From Maeby about to win the contest ("If I lost my legs, I'd question God") to Oscar going to car that was bulletproof ("Thank God I wasn't in the Humvee"), to "UNCLE MIKE" in the first episode.

From George Michael in the rocketpack against Tobius as MoleMan, to moles on the backside on the lot and Frank's backside, to the Tunnel of Evil (er.. Love Aduitibuly), to Annoyong hiding in the wall.

BRILLIANT!
Old 11-07-2005, 08:33 PM   #7
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Arrested Development has quickly become one of my barometers of taste in people...
Old 11-07-2005, 09:18 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
"He was the reason The Jetsons got cancelled" ... Anyone know where the line comes from?

I do ... but I had to Google it to get it, so I won't claim credit for it.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:06 PM   #9
Barkeep49
Coordinator

"Do you want men or do you want boys? I know how I'd answer that question" had me in stitches. I read that the series does well enough on DVDs that Fox might continue the series long enough to get 100 episodes making it eligible for syndication. That would be great.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:33 PM   #10
Zippo
High School JV

The part when Tobius told George Michael to have sex right there to prove that he is not uncomfortable about sex made me laugh.

Last edited by Zippo : 11-07-2005 at 11:33 PM.
Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:13 PM   #11
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's not looking good for "Arrested Development""Arrested Development" or frosh laffer "Kitchen Confidential." Fox has cut back its episode order on the critically-admired "Arrested" to just 13 segs, down from 22. Producers of "Kitchen," meanwhile, have been told the show won't be getting a full-season pickup.

More worrisome: Fox is pulling both shows from the schedule, effective immediately. "Arrested" returned from a month-long hiatus this week, while "Kitchen""Kitchen" was slated to return Monday.

Instead of the two laffers, Fox will air repeats of drama "Prison Break" in the 8-9 p.m. Monday slot for the rest of the November sweeps. It's presumed "Arrested" and "Kitchen" will return to finish out the remainder of their runs in December. Come January, net has long planned to move "House" into the Monday slot.

Fox wasn't commenting Thursday morning, and for now, nobody's using the word "cancellation." But in the case of "Arrested," the handwriting appears to be on the wall.

While numbers for "Arrested" were underwhelming this week, it's worth noting that a number of returning laffers -- including Fox's "Stacked" -- aren't doing much better.

linky

TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:42 PM   #12
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Oh come on Damnit! Seriously- anyone here a Nielsen family ?
Old 11-10-2005, 09:23 PM   #13
kurtism
High School Varsity

Nice to see Fox continuing to embrace the "sound" thinking that seems to make any quality show on the network an anomaly...
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:04 PM   #14
Cuckoo
College Starter

There have been a lot of shows I've watched over time get cancelled. For some of them, it was just their time. For others, I missed them only slightly. But this would be the first that I'd be really disappointed over.

Great show and one of the better comedies on TV in a long time.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:39 PM   #15
Easy Mac

That article was in variety? Do retarded chimps work there now?

And yeah, can't say I didn't see this coming. Nobody I know in real life watches AD. Sad reality of life I guess, but at least we have another year of 2 and a half men.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:46 PM   #16
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

See, its funny - I know a few people who do, and I'm in an online league where everyone one of us watches it. Strange.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:29 PM   #17
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism
Nice to see Fox continuing to embrace the "sound" thinking that seems to make any quality show on the network an anomaly...
Frankly, you can't blame Fox here. They promoted the Hell out of it before the 2nd season and have kept it going for 2.5 seasons so far. The ratings have just stunk. There is only so much we can expect from them.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:39 AM   #18
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Sad, sad day.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:40 PM   #19
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Great. More "Big Fat Survivor who Married My Mother In Law who's a Nanny" instead of a well written, intelligent show.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:45 PM   #20
Hammer755
High School Varsity

I don't think I've ever been this depressed about something as trivial as a TV show.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:49 PM   #21
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Stupid Neilsen viewers... I mean everytime you get an intelligent show, the numnuts in this country won't watch.

They are trying to pitch the show to cable companies, but it costs a lot to make it, so it's unlikely that TNT, USA, etc., will pick it up.

Hmmm... maybe HBO is a possibility... but I doubt it.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:51 PM   #22
chinaski
College Prospect

chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:58 PM   #23
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

HBO does seem to the best hope.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:37 PM   #24
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
HBO does seem to the best hope.
Unfortunetly I've just read that HBO doesn't pick up non-original programming . Maybe they'll make an exception? This show seems right up their alley.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:41 PM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Stupid Neilsen viewers... I mean everytime you get an intelligent show, the numnuts in this country won't watch.

Sad but true... So very, very sad.

An inane show like "Dance With The Stars" gets off-the-hook ratings, but something like Arrested Development, Freaks 'n Geeks, or Firefly comes out and gets nothin'.

Well, like HL Mencken famously said: "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:44 PM   #26
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Though I am happy to see "My Name is Earl" and "The Office" getting pretty good ratings. At the very least SOME non-laugh track comedies are doing ok. Just a shame about Arrested Development, which was the best of the lot.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:53 PM   #27
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Sad but true... So very, very sad.

An inane show like "Dance With The Stars" gets off-the-hook ratings, but something like Arrested Development, Freaks 'n Geeks, or Firefly comes out and gets nothin'.

Well, like HL Mencken famously said: "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

Heh - I thought PT Barnum said that "No one ever went broker underestimating the intelligence of the American public." And yes, tis almost certainly true.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:58 PM   #28
Easy Mac

its on tonight
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:34 AM   #29
Cuckoo
College Starter

From Yahoo News...

Quote:
Showtime, ABC Try Getting "Arrested"

Although Fox has stunted Arrested Development's development, the show's obituary might have to wait: Both Showtime and ABC have expressed interest at heading into the wild Bluth yonder.

The two networks are in preliminary talks to pick up the critically acclaimed yet consistently low-rated show after it ends its run on Fox early next year, per trade reports.

All three networks have refused to comment on the talks, except to say that no formal negotiations have taken place.

And for good reason: Fox has yet to officially cancel the show.

Though the network recently cut the series' season order from 22 to 13, no official axing has taken place, making it difficult for producer 20th Century Fox Television to engage in any closed-door deal-making.

Besides, there are other potential hiccups to the Emmy-winner's would-be network jump.

The
Jason Bateman-led series comes with a hefty $1.6 million price tag per half-hour. According to Daily Variety, the high cost means the studio is in the hole $400,000 per episode produced, which is part of the reason why the season's episodes were so drastically cut.

That, and the fact that the show averages just 4 million viewers per week, despite recent efforts to boost the ratings with the stunt castings of
Scott Baio,
Charlize Theron and most recently,
Justine Bateman.

But 4 million viewers is nearly twice the amount that a bona fide cable hit draws, a key should the series jump to Showtime and keep its audience intact. But Showtime would likely try to find a way to rein in the per-episode cost.

To help offset the cost, 20th Century Fox TV may push for any bidders to pick up at least 22 episodes. The studio needs just 36 more to reach 88 total--the magic number required to sell into syndication. (Of course, a lucrative syndication deal is not guaranteed.) There's also speculation that 20th Century Fox TV might be willing to share home-entertainment revenues as an enticement--Development is a strong performer on DVD.

News of networks putting out feelers for Arrested Development comes just two weeks after executive producer Brian Grazer told CNN he was working to make sure this season wouldn't be the series' last.

"I can't tell you anything other than I'm hoping it works out in the way that we want it to," Grazer said. "But I'm optimistic."

The cast, meanwhile, has mixed feelings about a possible network jump.

"Obviously, we would all do it until we're dead," Jason Bateman told E! Online last week. "But you don't want to be the last guy at the bar.

"I think we're getting out just in time," he continued. "We may have screwed it up if we stayed any longer."

Barring any last-minute reprieves, Arrested Development's season--and series--finale is expected to air on Fox in late January or early February.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:37 AM   #30
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo's Article
To help offset the cost, 20th Century Fox TV may push for any bidders to pick up at least 22 episodes. The studio needs just 36 more to reach 88 total--the magic number required to sell into syndication. (Of course, a lucrative syndication deal is not guaranteed.) There's also speculation that 20th Century Fox TV might be willing to share home-entertainment revenues as an enticement--Development is a strong performer on DVD.

I could have sworn that it was on in syndication here in St. Louis over the summer. Maybe Fox was just playing epiosodes at 11 every night, but isn't that what syndication is?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:38 AM   #31
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

a couple of things

a) great news
b) Justine Bateman?
c) WHY is this show so expensive? the cast?
d) wait a minute - I don't GET showtime. forget that!
Old 12-15-2005, 10:40 AM   #32
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
a couple of things

a) great news
b) Justine Bateman?
c) WHY is this show so expensive? the cast?
d) wait a minute - I don't GET showtime. forget that!

Exactly my thoughts. I hope ABC takes it.

As for the cost, I would suspect cast as well as the team behind the show. Ron Howard probably charges through the roof.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:58 AM   #33
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Exactly my thoughts. I hope ABC takes it.

As for the cost, I would suspect cast as well as the team behind the show. Ron Howard probably charges through the roof.

Even if it's on Showtime, it'll still come out on DVD at some point. I just hope for a few more seasons somewhere.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:06 AM   #34
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Count me as another fan who would rather see AD go the ABC route if possible. First because I don't get Showtime, but mainly because I think the show works better on a network than it would on a pay channel. Part of the humor of the show is it trying to play within the rules inherent on network TV. I think the bleeps, the blue dots, and the smart jokes you may not get the first time make the show more funny.

Here is a joke that I didn't get until about the fifth time I watched the episode:
Michael (to Gob): Get rid of the Seaward.
Lucille: I’ll leave when I’m good and ready.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:19 PM   #35
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I'd love for to be on Showtime (I have Showtime). Just keep it away from HBO.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:22 PM   #36
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Vagitable Platter
Old 01-04-2006, 08:16 AM   #37
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

btw, Monday's "Save our Bluths" episodes may be my favorite yet. Such a clever freaking show.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:18 AM   #38
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I've read that Showtime is going to pick it up, if they can make the salaries of the ensemble cast work.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:19 AM   #39
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
I've read that Showtime is going to pick it up, if they can make the salaries of the ensemble cast work.

"I don't think the Home Builders Organization is going to support us," George says.

"Yeah, the HBO is not going to want us," replies Michael. "What are we going to do?"

"I think it's show time," George then says.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:26 AM   #40
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks to my new found Tivo love(Christmas gift) I've finally watched this show, as well as Curb Your Enthusiasm. Good show, but didn't live up to the hype I had been reading(in my opinion). I think I missed a lot of the references that require viewership of earlier episodes. Curb Your Enthusiasm is fantastic.

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-04-2006 at 08:27 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:01 PM   #41
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Just realized that Fox is airing all 4 remaining episodes consecutively in a two hour block--right now!

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 02-10-2006 at 07:06 PM.
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:02 PM   #42
Kobeck
n00b

what a great show, sad to see it go but it is my understanding they are gonna tie up all the storylines so it should be excellent
Kobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:08 PM   #43
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And they HAD to put it up against the Winter Games ceremony! Bastards . Since they are canceling it, they don't give a damn.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:28 PM   #44
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobeck
what a great show, sad to see it go but it is my understanding they are gonna tie up all the storylines so it should be excellent
Two other networks are supposedly bidding on taking over the show.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:52 AM   #45
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

HOLY CRAP! That was the most hilarious thing I've ever seen! 2 hours of comedy Gold! I can't believe they were able to fit all those self-referential jokes in! Ending it with Annyong calling the SEC (to get revenge for his banana stand grandfather who was pushed out by Lucille) was just priceless!

Though you had to love the fact that George actually WAS a pansy! And GOB put away for 'burning bush', and after being released riding on Cheney Highway and Halliburton Road! LOL!
Old 02-11-2006, 01:53 AM   #46
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
Two other networks are supposedly bidding on taking over the show.
I've heard ABC dropped out of the running. It's Showtime or bust... or what Ron Howard alluded to at the end of the finale.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:27 AM   #47
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
I've heard ABC dropped out of the running. It's Showtime or bust... or what Ron Howard alluded to at the end of the finale.
Did they drop out because they didn't like the show or because Showtime had the bidding too high?

I can't see it as a movie...
Old 02-11-2006, 02:49 AM   #48
Blade6119
Coordinator

Lol, adult swim talked about it. "Heared arrested development got cancelled...shame, it was a really funny show. Maybe we should pick it up...we have a pretty good history with cancelled fox shows."

Well, i found it funny
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 02:51 AM   #49
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
Did they drop out because they didn't like the show or because Showtime had the bidding too high?

I can't see it as a movie...
ABC doesn't want it:

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|99658|1|,00.html

Quote:
Speaking to reporters Saturday (Jan. 21) at the Television Critics Association press tour, ABC Entertainment chief Steve McPherson acknowledged his love for the show but also said chances are slim it would land on his network next fall."I don't really foresee" a situation in which ABC picks up the Emmy-winning series, which is likely on its last legs at FOX. Earlier in the week, FOX head Peter Ligouri acknowledged it was "highly unlikely" that he'd pick it up for a fourth season, although the network has yet to cancel it outright.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #50
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
Lol, adult swim talked about it. "Heared arrested development got cancelled...shame, it was a really funny show. Maybe we should pick it up...we have a pretty good history with cancelled fox shows."

Well, i found it funny
I don't understand why great shows go to FOX to die, yet we have to be subjected to Celebrity Ice Dancing. WTF?