Ragone
Pro Rookie

Louisville 85
Tennessee 62

Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:24 PM   #3
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

How come the 'Nova - Kansas game hasn't come up yet? Villanova killed 'em by 21.

~tk

p.s. GO HOKIES!
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:26 PM   #4
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
How come the 'Nova - Kansas game hasn't come up yet? Villanova killed 'em by 21.

~tk

p.s. GO HOKIES!

Cause nobody is surprised by this.. Kansas=overrated
Old 01-22-2005, 06:49 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Go ahead & celebrate VPI, you certainly earned it, although in another month or so, I'm not so sure how big a surprise or upset this is really going to look like.

Since the OT loss to Kansas, Tech has been dreary at best, a team that looks incredibly clueless on both ends of the floor the majority of the time. Coach Hewitt put it very well, IMO, when he said (paraphrasing as closely as memory allows) -- "We've got to stop playing like a young team, because we are not a young team." and "Nothing against B.J., but getting Elder back in the lineup is not going to come close to fixing all the problems we have right now."

From what I've seen, he's dead right on both counts. Bynum tried to pick it up today but he got very little help. Schensher has, too frequently, returned to his form of two years ago when he was labeled in my house as "the big red goofball". Jack appears to be another Kenny Anderson case: a guy who really sucks when he tries to do too much. Ish is still his head case self, albeit a highlight reel dunking head case. There have been few signs of player leadership and even less indication that many of them give a damn, apparently too busy fantasizing about their future in the NBA or whatever.

At this point, barring some incredible change when Elder returns to the lineup, I'd sincerely like to see Hewiit just write the season off & give the freshmen the vast majority of the playing time, or at least install them as the starters & see if any of the seniors can be bothered to bust their asses enough to earn their minutes back. Sadly, I believe only Bynum & maybe Elder could/would actually do so.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:54 PM   #6
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Kansas might not be the only undefeated to go down today...
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:57 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Must be the spellchecker's weekend off at ESPN.com
Here's the current cover story headline:

Kansas couldn't handle Curtis Sumpter, who sank five 3s.

Kansas didn't want to fall; Villanova couldn't bare to lose. Fran Fraschilla says both sides emerged as winners.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:13 PM   #8
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Go ahead & celebrate VPI, you certainly earned it, although in another month or so, I'm not so sure how big a surprise or upset this is really going to look like.

Since the OT loss to Kansas, Tech has been dreary at best, a team that looks incredibly clueless on both ends of the floor the majority of the time. Coach Hewitt put it very well, IMO, when he said (paraphrasing as closely as memory allows) -- "We've got to stop playing like a young team, because we are not a young team." and "Nothing against B.J., but getting Elder back in the lineup is not going to come close to fixing all the problems we have right now."

From what I've seen, he's dead right on both counts. Bynum tried to pick it up today but he got very little help. Schensher has, too frequently, returned to his form of two years ago when he was labeled in my house as "the big red goofball". Jack appears to be another Kenny Anderson case: a guy who really sucks when he tries to do too much. Ish is still his head case self, albeit a highlight reel dunking head case. There have been few signs of player leadership and even less indication that many of them give a damn, apparently too busy fantasizing about their future in the NBA or whatever.

At this point, barring some incredible change when Elder returns to the lineup, I'd sincerely like to see Hewiit just write the season off & give the freshmen the vast majority of the playing time, or at least install them as the starters & see if any of the seniors can be bothered to bust their asses enough to earn their minutes back. Sadly, I believe only Bynum & maybe Elder could/would actually do so.

I think it's way too early to write off the season. There's a lot of basketball left to be played.

While there are certainly things to be fixed without Elder, I don't think you can underestimate the importance of his presence in the line-up--particularly on Jack. Prior to the injury to Elder, Jack was averaging something ridiculous like 1.8 points per shot. He was able to get open looks because the defense had to respect B.J. whereever he was on the court. That also opened up the key for Jack to penetrate which is the key to his game. Jack isn't the best at creating his own jumpshot, and he's trying to do too much of that right now.

Teams are sinking into zones against us and doubling Schensher. Luke has regressed in his passing ability and we aren't playing the inside-out game well. The other thing that isn't happening that became the staple of Luke's game last year is the pick and roll. In short, without B.J. the half court offense is a disaster.

Add to B.J.'s injury the loss of Jeremis Smith, who was looking like the most promising freshman early, the loss of Dickey for two games and a number of other guys playing banged up--Bynum, McHenry, Tarver--and the team isn't developing the chemistry it needs.

I'm hopeful the offense does improve markedly when Elder returns.

That said, the most concerning thing to me is the defensive failures. Last season, when Tech needed a stop, it got one. That same intensity isn't there this year. It may be a combination of teaching team defense to freshmen--Dickey and Morrow are below average defenders at this point.

I couldn't disagree with your statement about Jack and leadership more. The kid gives A-1 effort every time he steps on the court. He may try to do too much at times, but he is the best leader at the point position Tech has had since probably Travis Best.

I think they're going to be fine. It is frustrating as hell right now, but I really think they're going to be fine.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 07:35 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Obviously we're in total disagreement about Jack & his leadership ability, and you actually provide a lot of the reasons I'm so down on him in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
Jack isn't the best at creating his own jumpshot, and he's trying to do too much of that right now ... In short, without B.J. the half court offense is a disaster a situation that I believe ultimately falls on the PG ... He may try to do too much at times, but he is the best leader at the point position Tech has had since probably Travis Best.

He may be a good kid, but I truly believe he's the most overrated player at GT since Kenny Anderson.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:44 PM   #10
Celeval
Pro Starter

I think the big issue with BJ being gone (in the games I've seen - not many, but today's) isn't necessarily Elder but Bynum. WB's filled in pretty well in the 2-spot, but there's no big spark off the bench. One thing we had last year was that we could bring in Bynum when we needed that intensity or that spark, and he'd jump-start the team on O and on D - he did that today when we made that run to tie it late. But with BJ out, we have to start Bynum and don't have /anyone/ coming off the bench.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 07:44 PM   #11
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Last edited by Noop : 01-22-2005 at 07:45 PM.
Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 07:46 PM   #12
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
Cause nobody is surprised by this.. Kansas=overrated

If there has ever been a more overrated #2 team in the country recieving first place votes, it is Kansas.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 07:54 PM   #13
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
If there has ever been a more overrated #2 team in the country recieving first place votes, it is Kansas.
Missouri a couple years ago comes to mind, but that was much earlier in the season.
Quote:
Kansas didn't want to fall; Villanova couldn't bare to lose. Fran Fraschilla says both sides emerged as winners.
Frischilla must have some serious cojones to write that Kansas didn't want to fall considering how badly they played.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 07:55 PM   #14
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Obviously we're in total disagreement about Jack & his leadership ability, and you actually provide a lot of the reasons I'm so down on him in general.

He may be a good kid, but I truly believe he's the most overrated player at GT since Kenny Anderson.

I guess I don't see him as overrated. He's typically regarded as the third (maybe 4th) best point guard in the ACC behind Felton, Paul and maybe Daniel Ewing, yet, he's outplayed Paul both times he's played him and gone toe to toe with Felton every time as well.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:09 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: overrated
Here's a small sample of where I'm coming from on that

#8 overall (3rd in the ACC behind #1 Paul & #6 Gilchrist)
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebas.../story/7804708

Listed among likely Wooden Award candidates (equal to all PG's except Paul & Ewing)
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3280612

Cover of Southeastern edition "...is Mr.Clutch for Yellow Jackets
http://www.streetandsmiths.com/galle...utheast04.html
Old 01-22-2005, 11:24 PM   #16
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

New Orleans 66
Middle Tennessee 60

Suck it!
Old 01-22-2005, 11:26 PM   #17
Ragone
Pro Rookie

wow.. all of the 3 people in attendance were stunned

Last edited by Ragone : 01-22-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:06 AM   #18
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
wow.. all of the 3 people in attendance were stunned

ouch.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:44 AM   #19
JeeberD
General Manager

UTEP 69
San Jose State 65

Way the hell too close of a game. I think teams have figured out that if they can keep us from running on them they have a good chance at keeping the game close...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:06 AM   #20
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Central Michigan 56
Akron 95

Meh. Another shitty season for the Chips. Guess we got spoiled with a tourney bid a couple years ago.

Last edited by ice4277 : 01-23-2005 at 11:06 AM. Reason: can't spell
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:12 AM   #21
korme
Go Reds

WF 74
UC 70

It took Eric Williams best game of his career, and Maxiell playing about 1/3 of the game due to foul trouble, so who knows, in a normal setting, we win that game..
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:12 AM   #22
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I totally disagree with Jack being overrated. Don't really have some knock-out argument to back it up, just he is a true floor-general out there (particularly with his full squad).
Old 01-27-2005, 10:15 PM   #23
digamma
Torchbearer

Ga Tech 102
Wake 101

Jarret Jack 23 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists
Chris Paul 8 points, 2-12 from the floor

(JIMG, I don't mean this as an I told you so at all--just feeling a little giddy tonight, as I'm sure you are as well.)
Old 01-27-2005, 10:43 PM   #24
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Virginia 73
Virginia Tech 79

I'm giddy tonight, too
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #25
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

The ACC this year is just...bizarre. Duke, UNC, and Wake are the only teams who are firmly entrenched in the NCAA field right now. Tech (with the win over Wake) and Maryland (with the win over Duke) are probably in at this point.

Then you get to the train wreck in the standings after that:
*UVa has completely come undone and Gillen is probably toast after this year.
*NC State is beyond Jekyll and Hyde, beating up Maryland and Tech, but gaffing to Miami, VT, and FSU (don't be surprised if they lose to Clemson this weekend). Sendek has probably burned up much of the collateral and goodwill he's built over the last couple of years with the fan base (some of whom have been wanting him gone for years, in spite of recent success) and, if he survives this year, will be back on the hot seat next year.
*FSU has also been up and down, but the horrible losses they took non-conference pretty much seal their fate unless they reel off a large number of wins in-conference or win the tournament.
*Clemson is about where they should be, struggling near the bottom.
*The two newcomers are the surprises by far. If the season ended today, both of them would actually bye into the Friday round of games in the ACC tournament. That in and of itself is a very startling fact considering everyone had them pegged for the bottom two spots. However, in spite of their ACC success, they have struggled badly OOC, especially VT. Miami I think has the better resume' and right now would be the sixth team. I'm not certain there would be a seventh.

I do think the newcomers are benefitting from a lack of familiarity by the other teams. Chances are they'll struggle more in the second half of the conference schedule as they play some teams a second time and have to do it on the road (both of State's losses to them were in Blacksburg and Miami).

Then again, FSU was also picked to get roughed up their first year in the league in 1992 and they wound up in 2nd, including (to the delight of State fans everywhere) trashing the Heels in Chapel Hill in their ACC debut, with Sam Cassell uttering the most famous phrase about the Dean Dome ever, describing the attendees as a "wine and cheese crowd".

Last edited by Wolfpack : 01-28-2005 at 10:18 AM.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 11:44 AM   #26
JeeberD
General Manager

UTEP 60
SMU 55

We played like crap yet still managed to pull it out. Again...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 12:04 PM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

No worries, I'll take the win even if it came via methods contrary to my convictions

Having a huge lead evaporate for the 2nd time this year against a quality opponent still worries me, but maybe given the foul situation inside last night this one isn't as disturbing.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:47 PM   #28
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
No worries, I'll take the win even if it came via methods contrary to my convictions

Having a huge lead evaporate for the 2nd time this year against a quality opponent still worries me, but maybe given the foul situation inside last night this one isn't as disturbing.

Definitely agree about not holding onto a lead and the brain cramp in the last 30 seconds of regulation was almost a killer. Sunday at Maryland becomes very, very big. Other than UIC, the first half of the Kansas game and the few minute stretch in Raleigh when we cut the lead to 3, GT hasn't showed up for a game played outside of Atlanta.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:42 PM   #29
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Playing at Duke has got to be the biggest joke in the country.

The refereeing is so lopsided, it's ridiculous. 10:00 into the game and all of our starters are in foul trouble and our best player just got called for a personal foul + a technical foul for being RUN INTO byone of those pussy Duke players after a foul shot. no fucking wonder they win 95% of their games at home...you have to be 25 points better than them just to even out the refereeing.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:48 PM   #30
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

A Duke player opens up a gash on the side of our players face? No foul

Another Duke player runs into a VT player and loses the ball? Foul on VT + another technical on VT
Old 01-30-2005, 07:49 PM   #31
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

I don't know how you ACC fans have put up with this shit over the years.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:50 PM   #32
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Did they just call another techinical?
Old 01-30-2005, 07:50 PM   #33
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6
Did they just call another techinical?
Yep...both techs are from Duke players running into VT players and losing possession.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:54 PM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Maryland 79
#22 Georgia Tech 72

Jarret Jack - 3-14 FG shooting, 9 pts, 2 assists, 3 turnovers
Old 01-30-2005, 07:59 PM   #35
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Apparently it's a foul if you stand there and take an elbow to your eye socket. VT's Jeff King now has a gash on his cheek + a black eye and nothing has been called (except for fouls on him)

Last edited by VPI97 : 01-30-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:04 PM   #36
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

From the UK board:

"They [VT] may have to dress the student managers at halftime."

Last edited by TargetPractice6 : 01-30-2005 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:05 PM   #37
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
From the UK board:

"They [VT] may have to dress the student managers at halftime."
You think? Our three best players have 3 combined shot attempts due to this bullshit refereeing.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:07 PM   #38
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Do any African-Americans go to Duke? That's the most lily-white crowd I''ve ever seen.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:32 PM   #39
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Maryland 79
#22 Georgia Tech 72

Jarret Jack - 3-14 FG shooting, 9 pts, 2 assists, 3 turnovers

Touche.

I will say that this is the first time since Elder got hurt that I'm actually encouraged by what I saw. The offense was out of control at times and shots didn't go in, but I thought it was the best defense Tech has played all season.

I feel confident that the team will be fine.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:36 PM   #40
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Do any African-Americans go to Duke? That's the most lily-white crowd I''ve ever seen.

only the African-American basketball players.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:38 PM   #41
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
Touche.

I will say that this is the first time since Elder got hurt that I'm actually encouraged by what I saw. The offense was out of control at times and shots didn't go in, but I thought it was the best defense Tech has played all season.

I feel confident that the team will be fine.
I didn't see the game, but if you say this was the best defense they've played all season and they still allowed 79 points then I wouldn't be as confident...
Old 01-30-2005, 08:44 PM   #42
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
I didn't see the game, but if you say this was the best defense they've played all season and they still allowed 79 points then I wouldn't be as confident...

I should have qualified it to the second half. Maryland scored 45 points in the first half and shot 50% from the floor. Most of the first half Tech played without Schensher and Bynum because of early foul trouble.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:50 PM   #43
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

I'll give $5000 to the Hokie who will just stop the game and beat the shit out of one of these Duke assholes.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:15 PM   #44
Joe
Pro Starter

is dookie V announcing?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 09:33 PM   #45
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

From August 2003
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...le.asp?ID=9499

Duke University is also part of the brief. With a student body that is 12 percent Asian, 10 percent Black, 6 percent Hispanic, at least Duke comes close to hitting the mark for Black students, but they still need approximately 365 Hispanic students to match the diversity of the United States, their professed goal. ... According to 2001 estimates from the United States Census Bureau, this nation as a whole is a stunning example of diversity. 68.8 percent of the population is described as “White alone,” 13.1 percent is Hispanic, 11.8 percent is “Black alone,” 0.6 percent is Native American and 3.8 percent is Asian. A large number of races and mixed races make up the remaining 1.9 percent.

So, if you take the math cited in this article, that makes Duke 72% White, just 3% more than the U.S. population as a whole.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:34 PM   #46
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

This just in: Refs have pre-emptively called three fouls on VT in preparation for our game against Duke in March.

Edit - I hope Beamer has Greenberg's back on this one and we put up 80 on them in football next year. We should leave our starters in for the entire game like they did tonight.

Last edited by VPI97 : 01-30-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:56 PM   #47
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

The Stanford Cardinal are finally playing like a halfway decent squad. 6 in a row after dropping the first 3 in conference. The Tourney streak looks like it could continue, provided they keep up this play. The beginning of this season really made me yearn for the days of 20 blowouts per season....
Old 01-30-2005, 09:57 PM   #48
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'll give $5000 to the Hokie who will just stop the game and beat the shit out of one of these Duke assholes.

Shit I wish I lived near there, I could use that money......

Do you pay my bail too, or do I just end up losing money because I have to pay that myself and it would be more then the $5000?
Old 01-31-2005, 02:46 PM   #49
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Welcome to the unmitigated hell that is officiating in the ACC, where there's rules for Duke, rules for UNC, and then there's rules for everyone else. This is the way it has been for a long time. Time was, only UNC got the special Lewinsky treatments from the officials, but Coach K has f-bombed them into submission long enough now that Duke is in that special cadre. Everytime I hear the Crazies (little rich Jersey bastards that they are) chant, "Let's go, Duke!" I always turn it into "Refs blow Duke!" Makes me feel a little better about a situation I have no control over. So, get used to the screw jobs. The good folks over in the ACC offices aren't going to do jack about it.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:15 PM   #50
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Yay!

Louisville Beats Cincy again

Cincy needs to take that muhammed guy out behind the barn and shoot him.. some of the worst decision making/shoot selection i've ever seen