Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

NFL Week 3 thread, Trent Richardson is a Colt

Cleveland Browns trade Trent Richardson to Indianapolis Colts, according to source - ESPN

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
bhlloy
Coordinator

Fucking embarrassing attempt at tanking that doesn't even make any sense. Turn the fourth overall pick two years ago into a late round first. Complete joke of a franchise.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

yeah, just makes no sense at all. Prior to the new CBA you could maybe make the argument to save money, but rookie contracts are cheap.

At least send him to the Raiders or some other non playoff team. Makes you wonder how much they really shopped him, I can't imagine the Giants wouldn't have given up more.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
SegRat
High School Varsity

Wow, how dumb.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
Atocep
Coordinator

I think it's a good trade for both teams. The browns have a new GM that doesn't have attachment to Richardson and it's hard to argue that he's worth more than a pick in the 20s. On the other hand the colts need a running back and get one that is league average-ish.

This trade probably helps make the Browns better in the long run than if they just kept Richardson and the trade makes the Colts better right now and for the the next couple of years.

I really don't see how this is a bad trade.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Suicane75
Coordinator

I don't think it's a bad trade, but damn those poor fans.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
MrBug708
Head Coach

It's a great trade in the sense they got more value for TR then he was worth at this point, but the tank job is easy. Are they shooting for Bridgewater or Hundley at this point?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
MrBug708
Head Coach

In terms of fantasy value, whose the starter for Cleveland?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

So since the GM has no attachment to anybody on the team prior to this season, why not have a fire sale, dump Thomas, Weeden, et all for whatever anybody offers? They might get a team together within the next couple decades...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
Suicane75
Coordinator

Oh I imagine they'd dump Weeden if they could get a box of bags for him.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
In terms of fantasy value, whose the starter for Cleveland?

Sounds like McGahee.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
So since the GM has no attachment to anybody on the team prior to this season, why not have a fire sale, dump Thomas, Weeden, et all for whatever anybody offers? They might get a team together within the next couple decades...

Thomas is going to have value to them if they end up drafting their QB of the future next year. Who would give anything for Weeden? He's a soon to be 30 year old QB that plays like a 3rd stringer at best. The rest of their pieces that would have any value are all 25 and younger I believe. Richardson is a case where what they're getting is honestly more than what he's worth. Realistically, based on how he's played in the NFL, he's worth no more than a 3rd round pick. The only reason they're getting a 1st round pick is the colts are desperate for a running back and the name Trent Richardson still carries some value.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

OKAY OKAY!!! It's officially an embarrassment that my user name on here is CleBrownsFan!!! This franchise is a joke!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
chadritt
High School Varsity

I want to know who called who. Did the colts call up and just say "hey, can we have Trent Richardson" as a joke and it worked out or did the Browns call them and say "hey, want our best young offensive player?" Im assuming Richardson asking to be a bigger part of the offense, which he should have been for cleveland, just really didn't go over well.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

If the Browns are not going to contend this year, this might be a good deal. They improve the chances that they suck this year and it seems like it will be a pretty strong QB draft, and they get another first.

On top of that, when it comes down to basic running between the tackles, is McGahee that much worse than Richardson? Main issue, is he healthy? If he is, he can do the dirty work a la BGE or Benson in GB.

Where this hurts is throwing in the towel two games into the season and also the fact Richardson was a Top 5 pick that essentially has gone to waste (in another strong QB draft, that one, too).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-18-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #16
bob
College Starter

I've never played organized football. How hard will it be for a running back to step in at this point, learn the playbook, blocking schemes, etc?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #17
RedKingGold
College Starter

So wait, do we think the Richardson is that good of a player that the Browns will surely tank now without him?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #18
RedKingGold
College Starter

If anything, this is an indictment of how bad Holmgren was as a GM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #19
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I've never played organized football. How hard will it be for a running back to step in at this point, learn the playbook, blocking schemes, etc?

I never made it past high school football, and I played defense... But my understanding is blocking schemes are the toughest things for runningbacks to pickup in a new playbook. As long as the lineman block the way McGahee is used to (man to man or zone), he should be fine picking up the running play book. Not hard to find the 1 hole and run.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #20
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Neither have I, but as a lifelong fan, it has always been my understanding that it is one of the more simpler positions to grasp from the get-go, and especially if you're not really expected to be out there on passing downs.

This is supposedly why you see rookie RBs impact faster than rookies at the other skill positions.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #21
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I think Irsay likely drove this trade and was drunk while doing it. If you're going to give up a 1st round pick, why not try to hit a home-run?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #22
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
So wait, do we think the Richardson is that good of a player that the Browns will surely tank now without him?

Didn't see anything out of Richardson that would convince me that he was going to be great... But at the same time, I am not sure how much we have seen him healthy. I believe he was playing with broken rib(s) last year.

Too bad Mike Ditka is still not in the league. The Browns could have stolen an entire draft for Richardson.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #23
cuervo72
Head Coach

Nice editing there by ESPN. One paragraph saying he was taken in the 2011 draft, then 2012 two paragraphs later.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #24
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I have a fantasy league where we only get 6 pick-ups a year, and I was thinking of picking up McGahee. I just read though that it is no guarantee that he will pass the physical.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #25
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

this wasnt a dumb trade, drafting TR with the 3rd pick 2 years ago was the dumb move
Old 09-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #26
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

further proof teams should never take a running back early.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #27
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Wouldn't it have been smarter for the Colts to sign the more experienced MaGahee and use him with Ballard instead of burning a first-round pick?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #28
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Wouldn't it have been smarter for the Colts to sign the more experienced MaGahee and use him with Ballard instead of burning a first-round pick?

Ballard is done for the year
Old 09-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #29
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
this wasnt a dumb trade, drafting TR with the 3rd pick 2 years ago was the dumb move
+1 And I like(d) Trent Richardson a lot. He's a hard runner between the tackles and is a much better pass catcher than anyone gives him credit for. If Indy can win 10+ games and make the playoffs (thus the pick falls around 20) I think they did fine. Not great because I think they have bigger holes, but I understand Irsay isn't the most patient owner - and that free agent RB pile is pretty bad right now.

Cleveland also did right by them. New GM was willing to admit that TR never should have been picked 3rd overall and got a 1st. If it ends up in the 10-15 range, they probably won the trade, if it's around 20 it's a push, but they're definitely a few players away from being a playoff team, although they do have a few nice young building blocks in Haden and Thomas.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #30
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

We'll get to see what Richardson can do with halfway decent blocking. I admittedly have not watched the Brownies play this season, but based on the numbers put up by him & Weeden it doesn't look like the line has blocked anybody.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #31
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

But they have Bradshaw. So the answer to Jasper's question is, yes (IMO), that would have been the smarter move.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #32
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

They were going to tank with him. This just gives them a first rounder next year so they can start building something next year. Once the shock of it wears off, I'm sure this makes more logical sense, but it is still rather shocking that they pulled this off. Richardson might have looked average but factor in injuries and the support he had, and it really isn't a surprise in regards to how limited he was. If nothing else, he went from playing behind the worst starting QB from last year's draft to arguably the best.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #33
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

Brain fart. Meant Bradshaw.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #34
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post

Quote:

I'm in this group. Richardson doesn't appear to be in the Petersen, once a decade stud RB mold.

If they end up with Bridgewater with their 1st pick, another strong piece with the Colts piece, and have their early 2nd round pick, they are probably ahead of where they are heading now looking at 2015, when they'd either be paying Richardson big $, or letting him walk, and looking to replace him.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #35
spleen1015
Coordinator

I like the Colts' aggressiveness, but I don't think I like the player they got.

We'll see.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #36
miked
College Starter

It makes decent sense for the Colts, but why does everyone think Richardson is so bad. He put up 1400 yards and 12 TDs as a rookie for a team with no threat of a passing attack.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #37
Danny
Head Coach

Fine Trade for the Browns

Also a good trade for Indi. Richardson will be extremely valuable to them. I think hes one of the 10 best overall running backs in the league easily considering what he has done for a such an awful offense.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #38
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Holy shitballs. I have never been much of a fan of Richardson, he reminds me of another Alabama RB down in New Orleans.. But wow, what an unexpected deal.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #39
Pyser
Pro Rookie

so aside from peterson, has there been a good 1st round rb anytime recently?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #40
Danny
Head Coach

Doug Martin last year with pick 31. Spiller in with #10 in 2010.

Overall, taking RBs in round 1 is really not a good idea, especially the 1st half of the round

Last edited by Danny : 09-18-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #41
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm sure all of the positions are the same way. Not every #1 pick is worth a shit, no matter what position. I would say they are all pretty even.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #42
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Fine Trade for the Browns

Also a good trade for Indi. Richardson will be extremely valuable to them. I think hes one of the 10 best overall running backs in the league easily considering what he has done for a such an awful offense.

Football Outsiders, through 2 games this season and all of last season, has the Cleveland adjusted line yards higher than the RB yards. Cleveland's running game was roughly the same in 2011 with an out of shape Peyton Hillis and Chris Ogbonnaya than it's been with Richardson. What Richardson does do well and is an underrated aspect of RB production is he catches the ball.

Right now he's a RB that's struggled to stay healthy in his 1+ years in the league and didn't break the top 35 running backs last season. Not exactly a guy I'm looking to build around.

He should do better with the colts, but I don't see him jumping into the upper echelon of RBs. He's a guy that became the 3rd overall pick running behind a line that made Mark Ingram a Heisman Trophy winner.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #43
cuervo72
Head Coach

Guess they won't be showing that "you're my favorite player" commercial anymore.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #44
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Guess they won't be showing that "you're my favorite player" commercial anymore.

We'll just see how good their special effects artists are.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 09-18-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #45
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Football Outsiders, through 2 games this season and all of last season, has the Cleveland adjusted line yards higher than the RB yards. Cleveland's running game was roughly the same in 2011 with an out of shape Peyton Hillis and Chris Ogbonnaya than it's been with Richardson. What Richardson does do well and is an underrated aspect of RB production is he catches the ball.

Right now he's a RB that's struggled to stay healthy in his 1+ years in the league and didn't break the top 35 running backs last season. Not exactly a guy I'm looking to build around.

He should do better with the colts, but I don't see him jumping into the upper echelon of RBs. He's a guy that became the 3rd overall pick running behind a line that made Mark Ingram a Heisman Trophy winner.

Yeah I looked at the line rankings after posting that and CLE was a lot better than I thought. I could be wrong, I havent actually watched Richardson play in the pros at all, but was mostly going off what I saw in college.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #46
Danny
Head Coach

But I do think having him will help Luck who I have as my fantasy starter in one of two money leagues, so I am happy with the deal
Old 09-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #47
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

i just read that the Browns traded thier 4th 5th and 7th round picks to move up from #4 to #3 to draft trent. wow is that true?
Old 09-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #48
cuervo72
Head Coach

I think they were just lost after the Redskins traded up to get RG3.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #49
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

It's definitely not the position you should take if your team flatout lacks talent/sucks IMO. For every Peterson, that is able to get yards against defenses that don't respect his QB, there are a many more mere mortals who, despite their various skills, just aren't going to be able to do much when the QB and O-Line both suck.

Better to build your line and try steal a runner later in the draft IMO.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #50
Danny
Head Coach

Teams should just pay shanahan 5 million fee to pick them a rb in the 6th round