Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-24-2003, 10:27 AM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

OT - Good Detective Work

BETHLEHEM, Pennsylvania (AP) -- Parents of a 7-year-old boy admitted scamming neighbors of nearly $700 by dressing their son in a Cub Scout uniform and going door-to-door seeking donations for a nonexistent pack.

Anthony M. Herman, 46, and Sally Ann Gombocz, 45, of Bethlehem knocked on more than 150 doors between January 7 and January 18, collecting $667 as their son silently smiled, police said.

At the couple's arraignment Wednesday, Herman said they perpetrated the scam because the family landscaping business was failing.

"What we've done here was a desperation act," Herman told the judge. "I'm not trying to minimize what I did. It was stupid, very stupid."

Bethlehem police arrested the couple after receiving tips from neighbors. Both were charged with theft by deception, corruption of minors, criminal conspiracy and related offenses.

The charges carry a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine. No plea was entered and a preliminary hearing was set for January 31.

The boy is not a Cub Scout, though his parents convinced him he was when he put on the uniform, police said. He remains in the custody of his parents, who were released on $5,000 bail each, authorities said.

"That's awful ... using the child like that," said Sharon DeAngelis, who donated $5 Friday. "The little boy had a smile on his face. He didn't talk, though."

The couple told donors they were raising money for a camping trip for Cub Scout Pack 351, which does not exist, police said. Herman and Gombocz acknowledged spending the money, authorities said.

Michael Stempo, who has two sons who are Eagle Scouts, became suspicious when his wife said the boy's neckerchief was knotted -- not held together with a Scout slide. Stempo also said Boy Scouts do not solicit for money door-to-door, though they sometimes sell popcorn or other items.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 10:30 AM   #2
Easy Mac

The moral of the story is, if you're going to use your kids to make you money door to door, Sell Something. Buy candy bars from the store and sell them for like 2 dollars each. People would buy them from the kid.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 10:31 AM   #3
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Funny about Mr. Stempo, but what a couple of scumbags. F'ing scumbags.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 11:21 AM   #4
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Hmmm...

Excuse me while I go sign up to be a Big Brother...
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 11:24 AM   #5
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Re: OT - Good Detective Work

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Michael Stempo, who has two sons who are Eagle Scouts, became suspicious when his wife said the boy's neckerchief was knotted -- not held together with a Scout slide. Stempo also said Boy Scouts do not solicit for money door-to-door, though they sometimes sell popcorn or other items.

I live near there, I think it's funny the wife noticed this...I also can't believe how many people bought it. Wasn't there in a the news a while ago a family that was soliciting donations for their sick child, only to be exposed as having a healthy one...sick what people will do.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 11:31 AM   #6
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Re: Re: OT - Good Detective Work

Quote:
Originally posted by Qwikshot
I live near there, I think it's funny the wife noticed this...I also can't believe how many people bought it. Wasn't there in a the news a while ago a family that was soliciting donations for their sick child, only to be exposed as having a healthy one...sick what people will do.

Yeah, the mother had been giving her daughter sleeping pills to make her tired and appear to be sick.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote