Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-18-2003, 11:56 AM   #1
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Speaking of Talk Radio...

...well no one was actually posting anything about the subject of Talk Radio, but I just thought the Thread Name was catchey..

Anyway, have any of you listened to Michael Savage's Radio Program, The Savage Nation? He's based out of San Francisco and it doesn't come on until about 7:00pm I believe here in PVB/Jax. It's pretty interesting stuff, although his yelling and ranting does get a bit tiresome after about the 3rd of 4th straight caller.

Why did this guy wait all this time to get into the Talk Business?

Anyway, it's an okay program, depending on your political and social beliefs of course, but not something I'd have on my dial everyday.. I'd say I favor Boortz over any other at the moment, including among others, Hannity and Limbaugh.

Any thoughts?

MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 12:35 PM   #2
Craptacular
College Starter

Cam was talking about talk radio.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 12:37 PM   #3
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Savage Nation Baby!
Old 04-18-2003, 12:43 PM   #4
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

If Cam would ever get some Online Streaming for that baby (I know you can't do that yourself Cam.. Damn Radio Execs), he'd more than likely have himself quite a few more listeners on a daily basis..

I'd like to hear the show but unfortunately don't make it to the OKC area often (or shall I say never)..
Old 04-18-2003, 01:03 PM   #5
moriarty
College Starter

I saw a brief bit of that savage idiot on CNBC or one of those shows. He was basically doing some stupid rant about Iraq while showing the picture of the trade towers collapsing over and over.

I didn't catch his whole act, but he was trying to justify the Iraqi invasion as payback for the World Trade Towers (which is incredibly silly, since no one has ever said Iraq had anything to do with that). The dumbest part was that he tried to prove his point by showing the same WTC video over and over (WTF?). This was followed by numerous idiot callers calling in and basically saying how much they loved him and his book.

Maybe I shouldn't judge him by the 10 minutes of my life I wasted watching a small sample of his material ... but I can say I have no desire to watch/listen to any more.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 01:49 PM   #6
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I've listened to Michael Savage (we carry him from 9 p.m. until midnight) and he's not really my cup of tea. I did check out his book from the library last night, and I'll try reading it.

I think of all the guys doing talk on a national level, I like Sean Hannity the best. I also like Glenn Beck, who's as wacko as Michael Savage but much funnier.

BTW, I'm going to be on nationally syndicated talk radio this weekend. It's the "Talk Radio Countdown" hosted by Doug Stephan. I'll be on at 8:10 a.m tomorrow for those that get it live. For those who don't get it live, it'll be the top of the third hour of the show.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. It'll be about five or six minutes, talking about the war with Iraq and are people tired of talking about it.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:54 PM   #7
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Thanks for the info Cam, I'll try and check that out.. I haven't heard of Doug Stephan before, although if were talking early/mid mornings I've usually got Howard Stern on the dial and then the The Monsters of the Midday (syndicated out of Orlando.. Great stuff, very funny) or Neal Boortzie ..

Edit: Just remembered tomorrow is Saturday.. That's probably why I've never heard of Stephan before.. Don't use the radio much on weekends.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 04-18-2003 at 01:55 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 07:01 PM   #8
AgPete
College Prospect

Sorry to break the news but Michael Savage is a fraud. He was writing new-age hippy cook books for twenty years and decided to become a text book radio personality conservative when he realized he could make more money. I even read one of his books when he used to go by a different name. He had some informative stuff but I wasn't enough of a hippy to follow his herbal medicine tips. Just another guy that decided to imitate Rush and make millions.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 07:59 PM   #9
Superman=#54
High School Varsity

My favorite talk radio show is a local Sports radio show on WMVP 1000 ESPN radio. They are the afternoon show called Mack, Yurko, and Harry. Good stuff, they have opinions and they are funny, plus its all about sports.

Their not the prettiest bunch, but they do have a good radio show. Go here for more information on the show.
Superman=#54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 08:13 PM   #10
AccardoOutfit29
H.S. Freshman Team

I watch and listen to Savage Nation purely for the comedy of the host.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:17 PM   #11
rexalllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by CamEdwards
I think of all the guys doing talk on a national level, I like Sean Hannity the best.

I can't get into Hannity. One of my friends swears by him, so I promised to give a listen. First say I listened, I heard him say, "What is it about these dictators that they can't share any of their wealth?"

Just kinda shocked me.

Last edited by rexalllsc : 04-18-2003 at 08:18 PM.
rexalllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 08:54 PM   #12
ACStrider
High School JV

I'm not sure what I think about Savage. At times I can't stand him because he can be abusive with his callers. At times I respect him because he has the guts to say things the way that he does. People who actaully give him the time of day can see that he actually gives good support for what he says, but at times I see him going down petty (and frankly idiotic) sidetrails. He also has a tendency to blow things way out of proportion. I must admit, though, that there are times that he nails things right on the head. As a whole, though, I can't listen to someone very long who doesn't engage in point-counterpoint dialogue in a civil manner.

Limbaugh I find myself agreeing with a lot, and occasionally he makes some really good arguments, but as a whole his show is a bit lacking in true intellectual argument. He makes for good entertainment (the biggest reason why I would bother listening) but he doesn't have guests and he has a tendency to goad his caller as support for what he agrees with. His endless criticism of president Clinton (some valid, some not) at times was very petty and I just wanted to tell him to give it a rest. His egotism gets on my nerves after a while too.

O'Reily is possibly the biggest challenge on radio to Limbaugh's ego. I appreciate the fact that O'Reily stands behind what he believes. More then anything else, he's good for revealing hypocracy (on both sides I might add). I agree with most of what he says (more with Limbaugh) but I find myself listening to O'Reily more then Limbaugh.

....that's why I'm a big hannity fan. (FYI, I don't have a TV set, so I have no idea what he's like on TV...only on the radio). If for no other reason, Hannity isn't afraid to bring opposition onto his show. He doesn't stoop to the ad hominem that most talk shows do. I like the regulars who he brings onto the show (with the exception of Mark Levin) and he's very generous with the time he gives to guests (despite what some may say).

My honorable mention goes out to Phil Valentine who works out of Nashville. He's a little more politically active in a more physical way then the others, he's fun to listen to, and he's very appreciative of the democratic process. Well, those are my thoughts.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:59 PM   #13
mckerney
Coordinator

Heard it before, not impressed. About the only talk radio show I can stand listening to is Garage Logic.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 01:07 AM   #14
ACStrider
High School JV

Garage Logic is dull unless you happen to live in MN and enjoy discussion on everything (not just politics). normally when I listen to talk radio, I listen to get a piece of the political scene. Jason Lewis isn't bad.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:14 AM   #15
JeeberD
General Manager

Ugh, I don't listen to talk radio unless its either sports talk or if there's some sort of disaster and I need fresh news (9/11, Space Shuttle explosion, etc). I just don't enjoy political talk on the radio (no offense, Cam, though I bet I would enjoy your show since I really like your website).

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote