DeToxRox
Head Coach

NFL Regular Season Week One Thread

Thursday can't get here quick enough.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
spleen1015
Coordinator

Looks like the Colts are going to be without Peyton Manning.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

The Detroit Lions: Giving other teams backup QB's game action since 2010!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
Thomkal
Head Coach

Go Beloved Cards! (until/if you lose to an awful Carolina team at home against a rookie QB)
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Henne's play in the preseason gives me a glimmer of hope going into the regular season. I'm sure that the Patriots will crush it on Monday night.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Henne's play in the preseason gives me a glimmer of hope going into the regular season. I'm sure that the Patriots will crush it on Monday night.

Amazed the pats are only 7 point favorites.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I think Tampa vs. Detroit could be the best game of the week. Only Pitt. vs. Balt. really has a chance.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

The Bills are still playoff contenders!
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I think Tampa vs. Detroit could be the best game of the week. Only Pitt. vs. Balt. really has a chance.

I actually like more than that on the schedule.

Saints @ Packers should be a good tilt opening night.

Falcons @ Bears should be interesting
Pitt @ Baltimore always good
Cowboys @ Jets should also be interesting to watch

Beyond those, some other games interesting just because of the teams. Colts/Texans (do the Texans take advantage of the Colts injuries?), Eagles/Rams (How do the Eagles start out), Vikins/Chargers (do the Chargers have their usual terrible start?), Seahawks/49ers (does either team look worth a crap?)

Looking forward to the Lions/Bucs as much as any of them though.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
whomario
Pro Starter

Could anybody give me a link (or more) for good season previews ? Really like watching the game, but donīt really read up on it online (so i donīt have an overview of good websites) and donīt really follow the off season at all. In short i wouldnīt mind a few good reads on how everything shapes up
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Who Dat!!! So ready for Thursday night, I think I'm going to take off of work and cook all day and have some friends over.

It's a huge game, I hope we can win- I think we can, but not sure if we will. If we don't I won't be hugely upset, as long as they look good. No team has lost coming off the superbowl when opening the season on Thursday night yet (for the past few years we've been doing this)
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Looks like the Colts are going to be without Peyton Manning.

Oh noes! What will Colts fans do?!?
Panic in the streets, riots, looting, the apocalypse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ilGG...tailpage#t=19s
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #13
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I actually like more than that on the schedule.

Saints @ Packers should be a good tilt opening night.

I didn't see the Thursday night game listed until later. I put that at number one, but Tampa vs. Detroit is too young teams that have huge upstart potential to make waves this year and one of them is going to start with a loss.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #14
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

As a Saints fan, I am happy to start against the champs. If the Saints win, then what a way to start the season.

If the team loses, well, losing to the Super Bowl champs at home (esp. a rocking Lambeau crowd) isn't something that makes you despair for the remaining 15 games.

Kind of a win/no-lose situation for a fan.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I cannot wait to hear all the tales about how Drew Brees single handedlt kept the team together all offseason. How he grabbed a backhoe and leveled a playing field for his team. Then chartered and flew a plane to pick all the guys up on his dime. How 26 of his teammates stayed in his guest house. And how Drew created a new offense from scratch this offseason.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #16
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Props to Kerry Collins, too. His personal demons almost took him completely out of the game years ago.

Now, he's the grizzled veteran QB that teams call when they need someone to keep the ship afloat while the starter recovers.

I'm sure that he never saw himself as lasting long enough and having the maturity to be the steady old guy on the team.

Good for him.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #17
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I cannot wait till Sunday (and Thursday to an extent).
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #18
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Props to Kerry Collins, too. His personal demons almost took him completely out of the game years ago.

Now, he's the grizzled veteran QB that teams call when they need someone to keep the ship afloat while the starter recovers.

I'm sure that he never saw himself as lasting long enough and having the maturity to be the steady old guy on the team.

Good for him.

+1
Old 09-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #19
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I wouldn't worry in Indy. I mean, Tennessee maintained itself after Manning left, right?
Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #20
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I wouldn't worry in Indy. I mean, Tennessee maintained itself after Manning left, right?

Well, I know you're being snarky, but they did win a national title after he left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 09-06-2011 at 08:46 AM.
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #21
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Well, I know you're being snarky, but they did win a national title after he left.

I was being snarky, but you are right!

PAGING TEE MARTIN... MR. TEE MARTIN, PLEASE PICK UP A BLUE & WHITE COURTESY PHONE.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #22
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Go Beloved Cards! (until/if you lose to an awful Carolina team at home against a rookie QB)

Wont happen. Newton is so far from NFL ready it is not even funny. I would be very surprised if he is starting after week 2.

Green Bay is in a nice situation. Defending SB champs hardly being mentioned because the Eagles are the flavor of the week right now.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-06-2011 at 09:22 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #23
spleen1015
Coordinator

My gut tells me that this deal with Manning is more serious than being let on.

I'm starting to think we may never see him on the field again. To early to say, but I am worried nonetheless.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #24
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
My gut tells me that this deal with Manning is more serious than being let on.

I'm starting to think we may never see him on the field again. To early to say, but I am worried nonetheless.

I don't have quite that same feeling, but whenever you're talking about neck and back stuff, it's always a little more serious than a knee or shoulder.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #25
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Could anybody give me a link (or more) for good season previews ? Really like watching the game, but donīt really read up on it online (so i donīt have an overview of good websites) and donīt really follow the off season at all. In short i wouldnīt mind a few good reads on how everything shapes up

I can't think of a specific preview that gives it all in one package or story. I think the bigger sites out there-sbnation, sportingnews, bleacherreport, cbssports, and of course espn and nfl.com that have done previews for each team and stay up to date on the latest news are your best bet for this kind of thing (until someone posts something better )

I really like sbnation.com. Every team has its own site, which of course is going to have a certain degree of bias, but fans from other teams come in and post and as long as they aren't clearly trying to be a nuisance are respected for their opinions and fanhood for the most part. I found it interesting to "compare and contrast" between teams when they make a big trade, or to follow the trail of one player like my guy Tyler Thigpen through each of the teams he's played for to see what they thought/are thinking of him. Most of the team sites are indepth and constantly updated, and there are "forums" at each one to post your thoughts or comments on others.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #26
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Over under this year on how many games before Cutler gets injured behind the Still Terrible o-line?

I'm gonna put the line at 6.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #27
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

The most scary part of the Manning situation was the espn article that mentioned he has lost all of his strength in his triceps and as such can't throw the ball with near the velocity as pre-surgery. I have read that nowhere else, but after reading that I started to have serious doubts that we would be seeing him on the field this season.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #28
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I don't have quite that same feeling, but whenever you're talking about neck and back stuff, it's always a little more serious than a knee or shoulder.
I don't think it's career threatening at all, but I could see this turning into something that requires more time and the Colts just say "fuck it" and give him the whole season off to recover.

If the Colts start off 0-3 or something, is it worth bringing him back at 70%? Might as well call the season a wash, get a high pick, and bring him back 100% next year.

Last edited by RainMaker : 09-06-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #29
Butter
Coordinator

Over/Under on Bengals wins.

I would think to get any kind of action on both sides at all, you'd have to start at like 2.5.

And I'd probably take the Under. It's gonna be bad.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #30
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Over under this year on how many games before Cutler gets injured behind the Still Terrible o-line?

He will definitely get hurt. And of course Angelo doesn't bother to bring in a competent backup. This is already an embarrasingly bad offense with Cutler, imagine throwing a guy who should be a 3rd stringer out there.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #31
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

To be fair, competent backups are incredibly hard to secure. Almost everybody drops off pretty significantly (with a few exceptions for teams with no QBs at all) when their starter goes down.

No line and no reliable possession-type receiver (though I still think Earl Bennett looks more and more like he could be that kind of player - IMO he should be starting) is going to hurt. Again. Regardless of who is behind center.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 09-06-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #32
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I agree with that. But if you aren't going to invest in an offensive line or receivers, you have to at least plan for your QB getting hurt. I'd take a Derek Anderson over Caleb Hanie anyday.

I've always liked Bennett. Not real flashy but he catches whatever you throw at him. But in true Bears fashion, players who perform on the field in that offense don't get playing time. This is the same group that has relegated Knox to the 2nd team while he's clearly their most skilled receiver. I remember Aromashadu having a nice game last year and not seeing any playing time for weeks following. Heck, I used to think Rasheed Davis was a nice receiver who did what you asked of him.

But they are still firm on trying to make Devin Hester a starting WR. And forcing a washed up receiver like Roy Williams into their #1 (who looks horrible out there). And they traded away their best pass catching threat this offseason.

Not real optimistic about the Bears chances this season. Hopefully we can end this stupid Mike Martz experiment. The offense is 10 years past its time.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #33
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Hopefully we can end this stupid Mike Martz experiment. The offense is 10 years past its time.

After the 1999 Rams, we all thought that Mike Martz was a football genius who made Kurt Warner look like a Hall of Fame quarterback. Now, we realize that Kurt Warner was a Hall of Fame quarterback who made Mike Martz look like a football genius.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #34
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

On a side note. I'm rooting for Rexy over in Washington. I still say he got way way WAY more flak than he ever deserved in Chicago. (That's not to say he was without fault, but he didn't deserve to be treated nearly as vile as he was).
Old 09-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #35
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, Rex got a bad rap here in Chicago. They didn't make it a priority to put talent around him at all. He never had a good WR while he was here and they sort of decided to dismantle the running game after the Super Bowl season. Then blamed him for not being able to put up huge numbers when they were constantly 3rd and long.

I still blame him for too many turnovers though. He made some really dumb decisions and I still don't understand how an NFL QB mishandles so many fucking snaps.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #36
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was being snarky, but you are right!

PAGING TEE MARTIN... MR. TEE MARTIN, PLEASE PICK UP A BLUE & WHITE COURTESY PHONE.

I'm so glad my team drafted Tee Martin instead of Tom Brady. It seems to be working out well.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #37
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

Maybe we should target Week 5. Monday night.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #38
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I turned Tee Martin into a competent backup in Madden for what it's worth many years ago.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #39
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Maybe we should target Week 5. Monday night.

Just out of curiosity (and I really don't mean to imply anything here), when is the last time Detroit hosted a Monday Night game?
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #40
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Just out of curiosity (and I really don't mean to imply anything here), when is the last time Detroit hosted a Monday Night game?

I believe they hosted a pre-season Monday night game against the Rams ij 2005. It was the debut of their black uniforms. The Lions got destroyed.

The last time I believe the Lions were even on Monday was back in 2001, again, against the Rams. Not sure if they hosted it or not, but I am pretty sure they lost. I remember watching the game on a small TV in my office.

Well, DETROIT hosted the Vikings-Giants "Monday" night game last year that was cancelled because of the Metrodome's roof collapsing.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 09-06-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #41
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I believe they hosted a pre-season Monday night game against the Rams ij 2005. It was the debut of their black uniforms. The Lions got destroyed.

The last time I believe the Lions were even on Monday was back in 2001, again, against the Rams. Not sure if they hosted it or not, but I am pretty sure they lost. I remember watching the game on a small TV in my office.

Well, DETROIT hosted the Vikings-Giants "Monday" night game last year that was cancelled because of the Metrodome's roof collapsing.

Week 4, 2001 - Rams 35, Lions 0
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #42
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just heard on SVP show Garrard released by the Jags
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #43
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Just heard on SVP show Garrard released by the Jags

Yeah. Good for him. Think he'll look good in a Colts uniform?
Old 09-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #44
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah. Good for him. Think he'll look good in a Colts uniform?

No thanks. We have Kerry Collins.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #45
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Hey Jags, I have a Tebow for you!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #46
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Makes some sense to cut him now and eliminate the guarantee. I'd take him over Batch and Dixon if he will play for league min.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #47
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola-
Not often that a Pro Bowl QB gets cut like that, though.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #48
Logan
Head Coach

Not often that a Garrard is a Pro Bowl QB.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #49
stevew
Hall Of Famer

we don't have a tongue in cheek smiley.

Anyways, the fact that the Jags can let their franchise QB go like this, just 2 days before the start of the season, shows that they probably need to leave Jacksonville. There's no market for a team there.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #50
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I think this is just a move by Del Rio to try and buy more time. Who lets their starting QB go six days before the season starts?