Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-12-2005, 10:54 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Ping: Calvin & Hobbes fans

From Amazon.com.

The Complete Calvin & Hobbes is coming out. It weighs 22.5 pounds! Either this strip or the Far Side was the best comic strip ever.

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 11:06 PM   #2
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I have the Far Side collection, and that's one heavy sumbitch.

I need to get this one. Calvin & Hobbes is my all-time favorite.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:12 PM   #3
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
I have the Far Side collection, and that's one heavy sumbitch.

I need to get this one. Calvin & Hobbes is my all-time favorite.

Yes, it's incredibly heavy. Both books. Man they are good though. I must have reread those books about fifteen times each and still laugh my ass off.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 11:32 PM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

Told myself I would not spend anymore money on Amazon until I paid my credit card down some....things like this make it hard to keep that promise to myself.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:18 AM   #5
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Wow, this looks good. Calvin and Hobbes was amazing.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:24 AM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

Without looking, my hunch is they aren't offering the free shipping on this one.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:28 AM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Complete Far Side is a beautiful collection. Got it for my wife (well, she was fiance at the time so what term do I use?) for her birthday this past year since she's a huge Far Side fan.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:01 AM   #8
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Got my Father the Far Side collection, really cool.

This one is all mine.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:32 AM   #9
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I haven't so much as looked at the Sunday comics since C&H stopped.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:43 AM   #10
Buccaneer
Head Coach

But they are back. Starting on 9/5, we get C&H dialy and starting last Sunday, in the color comics. Last week it started at the beginning with catching a tiger by a sandwich.

Incidentally, we had our comics shakeup that seems to happen once every 3 years (much of it based on a large reader survey). We do have one of the best comics section in the nation (2 full pages, 2 columns, 34 strips plus the crossword and a couple of other puzzles)...and nearly everything is readable. In this last shakeup, they took out 6 and brought in 6 and the ones they took out included the whiny Kathy, the one-joke Garfield plus Opus on Sundays (artistically brilliant but devoid of any reading value). There is nothing more in the paper that I follow more closely than the comics.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:52 AM   #11
Kodos
Resident Alien

I wish Watterson would just make books of new material now. That way, he wouldn't have to conform to the formats that the papers want, and he'd have total artistic control over the strip. I'm sure his publisher wouldn't turn him down if he said "Here's a book of new material. Print it exactly as I have given it to you or don't publish it at all."

Last edited by Kodos : 09-13-2005 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:53 AM   #12
Kodos
Resident Alien

P.S. When I was a kid, I actually enjoyed Garfield. Did he used to be good and just became stale after a while, or did the strip always suck and I didn't realize it because I was a dumb kid?
Old 09-13-2005, 08:54 AM   #13
Subby
lolzcat

I thought Bloom County was probably the best ever at its peak, but Calvin and Hobbes was right up there.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:55 AM   #14
Kodos
Resident Alien

Bloom County was excellent for a long time. The Outland and everything since has been total ass.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:56 AM   #15
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

what was the strip that was mostly a guy and a dog.... i think the guy had a big nose?

i remember reading it all the time when i was younger and thinking it was great, and then all of a sudden one day it was gone and ive never seen it since, but i thought it was hilarious at the time... any ideas?

-zums
zums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:05 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
P.S. When I was a kid, I actually enjoyed Garfield. Did he used to be good and just became stale after a while, or did the strip always suck and I didn't realize it because I was a dumb kid?

I think it was funny and every once in a while, it'll still get a good chuckle out of me. The problem is that he ran out of material quite a while ago and keeps recycling the same thing now that he was doing 10 years ago.

SI

Old 09-13-2005, 12:10 PM   #17
Johnny93g
College Starter

G.R.O.S.S.

Im so getting that!!!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:40 PM   #18
Kodos
Resident Alien

Get Rid Of Slimy girlS!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:10 PM   #19
oykib
College Starter

Agree with Ksyrup.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:48 PM   #20
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib
Agree with Ksyrup.

Y'all may want to check out "Get Fuzzy." I think that it is the best comic in the paper today. If you like sarcastic animals (and if you don't, what are you doing in a Calvin and Hobbes thread), you may get a kick out of it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:33 PM   #21
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Oh I loved Calvin and Hobbes! I had about 5 of their books when i was growing up. Somebody buy me this! ...I'll make it worth your while

Last edited by LoneStarGirl : 09-13-2005 at 05:33 PM.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:52 PM   #22
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
Y'all may want to check out "Get Fuzzy." I think that it is the best comic in the paper today. If you like sarcastic animals (and if you don't, what are you doing in a Calvin and Hobbes thread), you may get a kick out of it.

Im sorry but when I mentioned that I read and love nearly all of the comics, the two that I avoid like the plague are "Get Fuzzy" and "Pickles". I don't know why but I when they first started appearing a couple of years ago, I found them to be intolerable to read.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:23 PM   #23
st.cronin
General Manager

I was a big fan of Shoe for a long time. I also enjoyed Zits during it's peak... there's not much today I really enjoy.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:26 PM   #24
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I was a big fan of Shoe for a long time. I also enjoyed Zits during it's peak... there's not much today I really enjoy.

That's interesting, with Zits being my 2nd favorite currently (after Frazz), when or what was its peak?
Old 09-13-2005, 06:31 PM   #25
st.cronin
General Manager

Zits peaked early and, like most strips, has just been recycling the same material for quite a few years now.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:42 PM   #26
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Comics just aren't cut out of the same mold as they used to be. Now you have to pick some niche to put your comic and can't have the universal comics that touched humor in many facets of society as before. Frankly, I can't think of a "new" comic since about Dilbert that has had huge appeal that people who aren't avid comic readers recognized (tho, like many others has burned itself out much too quickly) and that's early 90s.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-13-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:49 PM   #27
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Comics just aren't cut out of the same mold as they used to be. Now you have to pick some niche to put your comic and can't have the universal comics that touched humor in many facets of society as before. Frankly, I can't think of a "new" comic since about Dilbert that has had huge appeal that people who aren't avid comic readers recognized (tho, like many others has burned itself out much too quickly) and that's early 90s.

SI

That's interesting and I agree that it has become a niche. In the survey I mentioned above, they said that Dilbert, as popular as it is, is truly a niche comic because while it scored high in the 25-50 group, it scored almost 0 in the under 18 group. Many of the new comics (esp. the ones I occassionaly see in the Denver paper) are like today's sitcoms: trying to be trendy and hip but lacking of anything funny or substance.

By the way, I liked the way they did the Blondie/Dagwood 75th thing with all of the crossovers in other strips (and vice versa). That showed respect.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:50 PM   #28
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

to me, there's calvin and hobbes, and not much else. peanuts perhaps second (unlike Bucc, who was probably around for Socrates, I've only read it in book format ). I like Zits and Get Fuzzy, though the latter gets old quickly.

oh yeah- I frigging hate Dagwood.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:50 PM   #29
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

dola,
I wrote about calvin and hobbes in my college essay - I think its what got me in.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:53 PM   #30
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Frazz is Calvin all grown up but it's still good see him and Hobbes back.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #31
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
That's interesting and I agree that it has become a niche. In the survey I mentioned above, they said that Dilbert, as popular as it is, is truly a niche comic because while it scored high in the 25-50 group, it scored almost 0 in the under 18 group. Many of the new comics (esp. the ones I occassionaly see in the Denver paper) are like today's sitcoms: trying to be trendy and hip but lacking of anything funny or substance.

By the way, I liked the way they did the Blondie/Dagwood 75th thing with all of the crossovers in other strips (and vice versa). That showed respect.

Yeah, but to be fair, I bet things like Peanuts, Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes, The Far Side, etc- get really low scores, too, just because they are more "old school" comics (or not even written any more in all but Garfield's case but still in papers).

For reference, you get 3 comics in my.yahoo and I've got Garfield for nostalgia's sake, Foxtrot which looks old style but it still kindof a niche as it's less than 20 years old and it's basically nerd humor crossed with family humor, and then Boondocks for a modern style comic but it's definitely a niche comic, too.

Agreed- I liked the Blondie/Dagwood thing. Saw some of those in Garfield- wanted to look up the others but forgot. I don't suppose you have a list of the comics that did it.

SI

Old 09-13-2005, 08:58 PM   #32
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Frazz is Calvin all grown up but it's still good see him and Hobbes back.

I've heard that a bunch of times, down to the belief that watterson is behind frazz- but no dice, as I recall. I think Frazz is trying to be "Calvin" all grown up, right down to the hair but eh - it doesnt work as well.

I believe it was Mallett who said " All comics are influenced by Calvin and Hobbes or trying desperately to hide that they were influenced by Calvin and Hobbes."
Old 09-13-2005, 09:18 PM   #33
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
I've heard that a bunch of times, down to the belief that watterson is behind frazz- but no dice, as I recall. I think Frazz is trying to be "Calvin" all grown up, right down to the hair but eh - it doesnt work as well.

I believe it was Mallett who said " All comics are influenced by Calvin and Hobbes or trying desperately to hide that they were influenced by Calvin and Hobbes."

And the other half are trying to be like Far Side. One of the new ones we got is "Brevity". Between that, Non-Seq in our paper and about 6 more in the Denver paper, they're all trying to be like Larsen.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:19 PM   #34
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And the other half are trying to be like Far Side. One of the new ones we got is "Brevity". Between that, Non-Seq in our paper and about 6 more in the Denver paper, they're all trying to be like Larsen.

Yeah- "Far Side" lookalikes are a genre all there own at this point.

SI

Old 09-13-2005, 09:29 PM   #35
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, but to be fair, I bet things like Peanuts, Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes, The Far Side, etc- get really low scores, too, just because they are more "old school" comics (or not even written any more in all but Garfield's case but still in papers).

For reference, you get 3 comics in my.yahoo and I've got Garfield for nostalgia's sake, Foxtrot which looks old style but it still kindof a niche as it's less than 20 years old and it's basically nerd humor crossed with family humor, and then Boondocks for a modern style comic but it's definitely a niche comic, too.

Agreed- I liked the Blondie/Dagwood thing. Saw some of those in Garfield- wanted to look up the others but forgot. I don't suppose you have a list of the comics that did it.

SI

I guess I fall in the middle because the truly classics don't do much for me. These include Dennis the Menace, Peanuts, Garfield, Beetle Bailey and a few others that we don't get any more. Blondie are Family Circus are ok, they did bring them into the current age.

As far as the ones that I saw that did the Blondie crossover thing include: Family Circus, Wizard of ID, Garfield, Hagar, Zits, Rose is Rose, Beetle, Hi & Lois and Mother Goose.

Believe it or not, one of the main reasons I look at the Denver comics is for Boondocks.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:36 PM   #36
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
to me, there's calvin and hobbes, and not much else. peanuts perhaps second (unlike Bucc, who was probably around for Socrates, I've only read it in book format ). I like Zits and Get Fuzzy, though the latter gets old quickly.

oh yeah- I frigging hate Dagwood.

That's not too far off actually. I started reading comic strips very early on, before watching TV (not like there were much on in 1964-1965). That's 40 years of reading comics all over the country, including political cartoons. I think I get it from my mother who had many comic strip books from the 1940s and 1950s plus a ton of Disney. I distinctly remember being absorbed in "Sad Sack", a WW2-era comic that was my first exposure to WW2 and military life.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:45 PM   #37
JeeberD
General Manager

We brother used to buy Sad Sack comic books in the early eighties...I always thought it was a rip-off of Beatle Bailey.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 09:50 PM   #38
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah- "Far Side" lookalikes are a genre all there own at this point.

SI

Some try to be both. After reading today's section, I just realized that not only is Non-Sequitor a Far Side ripoff, they also ripped off Calvin. Today's C&H was the one were Calvin announced his Dad's poll took a dive in "overall Dad performance" rating. Non-Seq with Deane (however you spell her name) did the exact same thing.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:54 PM   #39
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
We brother used to buy Sad Sack comic books in the early eighties...I always thought it was a rip-off of Beatle Bailey.

Other way around. A quick check shows Sad Sack starting in 1942 (obviously) and running in Harvey Comics from 1949-1982. Beetle didn't start until late 1940s.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:29 PM   #40
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I guess I fall in the middle because the truly classics don't do much for me. These include Dennis the Menace, Peanuts, Garfield, Beetle Bailey and a few others that we don't get any more. Blondie are Family Circus are ok, they did bring them into the current age.

As far as the ones that I saw that did the Blondie crossover thing include: Family Circus, Wizard of ID, Garfield, Hagar, Zits, Rose is Rose, Beetle, Hi & Lois and Mother Goose.

Believe it or not, one of the main reasons I look at the Denver comics is for Boondocks.

I'm with you actually - I really enjoy the Boondocks, more so when it was more general racial commentary as opposed to the Bush only rant McGruder's been on for the past 2 years. That being said, I appreciate he has no sacred cows, and recognizes the absurdities in his own characters.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:37 AM   #41
Kam
H.S. Freshman Team

Red & Rover is worth a look. Not Calvin, but a good strip about a boy and his dog.
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:04 AM   #42
Johnny93g
College Starter

TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 09-14-2005 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:06 AM   #43
Johnny93g
College Starter

The final strip
TML
Old 09-14-2005, 09:13 AM   #44
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

When I was in 6th or 7th grade we had to do these presentations where you memorize a short story or something and tell it to the class, had to do it every year, it really sucked actually. I did the C&H poem A Nauseous Nocturne, was rather cool.

Link to the text: hxxp://home3.inet.tele.dk/stadil/poemnau.htm (x'd just in case, it's only text)

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:16 AM   #45
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zums
what was the strip that was mostly a guy and a dog.... i think the guy had a big nose?

i remember reading it all the time when i was younger and thinking it was great, and then all of a sudden one day it was gone and ive never seen it since, but i thought it was hilarious at the time... any ideas?

-zums
Marmaduke ?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:45 PM   #46
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
The final strip

I think I still have the old News & Observer Sunday comic section that had this cartoon in it. At least I hope so. I wonder how many others did so?
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:54 PM   #47
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
Marmaduke ?
I think he said "hilarious".
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:03 PM   #48
Kodos
Resident Alien