Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
korme
Go Reds

Strategies in Fantasy Basketball

In a traditional head-to-head basketball league (on Yahoo!), scoring is broken down into 9 categories over the course of a week.

FG%, FT%, 3PM, PTS, BLK, REB, AST, STL, TO

So typically you just draft the best players at each position who do the most of any of these categories.

I thought this year I'd try a different strategy. Pick 5 categories and draft players who excel in all of them. To do this, I need to make the categories of a similar skillset.

My goal is to win each week 5-4 by winning in FG%, PTS, BLK, REB & TO. Just bigs who are efficient. Small forwards who get tons of blocks and rebounds. Guards who rebound, shoot at a high rate and don't turn the ball over too much.

If I could do that, I could grind out the season and make the playoffs, probably not as the #1 seed but theoretically unstoppable winning each round 5-4.

Opinions?

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Find them players that get around 1 steal and 1 block as they are generally underrated.

Scoring is easy to find so I dont waste money in Carmelo Anthony types. Finding a way to get Wade, James, Paul will make your life easier. Gerald Wallace always is a nice mid round steal.

Garnett as mid round pick is a decent option right now as well.

I really dislike to have a player such as Dalembert on my team(that only gets blocks) so I do whatever I can do build a team around a few different guys picking up blocks.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-07-2011 at 02:28 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'm in the same boat in a baseball dynasty team I took an expansion team on. I loaded up with young pitching, closers and speedy OF/high average IF in the expansion draft (they got to protect 10 guys). My hope is to win saves and SB fairly easily each week and then get "lucky" on average, ERA, WHIP and even runs.

I think for a traditional league, it's a little better to be balanced. Putting all your eggs in 5 stats (esp something as random as FG%, blocks and TOs) seems dicey. If you face a team that shoots well one week or has one guy get 5-6 blocks on game, then you are looking at a potential 8-2 week. It's not a bad strategy, but I would go more "best player" early on and then look at your team. After doing that, if you want to grab "role players" that fit the efficient big model then that's a good move to compliment.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

The winning in scoring and turnovers will be tough. The scorers are usually big TO guys.

I think FG%, Reb, Pts, Bl, Stls would be an easier approach to your strategy you want to try athough I dont think its the best way
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
korme
Go Reds

High TO guys are usually PGS and scorers.. I can handle one or two of those, and then keep a mostly big man roster to keep it down, and FG% up
Old 12-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
korme
Go Reds

Maybe I do go for steals over Points...