Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

IWS #201 Results

(1) Autumn is fresh apple time. What’s the best variety of apple?

Red Delicious–9
McIntosh–3
Granny Smith–2
HoneyCrisp–2
Braeburn–1
Fuji–1
Gala–1
Golden Delicious–1

I was apple picking when I came up with this idea for an IWS theme. Stupid was at his best here. I doubt that many people who actually care about apples would put Red Delicious as their favorite. But it is certainly the most generic of the apples. And a sophisticated IWS crowd knows enough to know that that is all it takes. I like the McIntosh answer–too cute to win IWS, but I think I can see what y’all were going for. I would have bombed this with an answer like Gala or Pink Lady.

(2) Autumn is also Halloween time. You have an elementary-school-aged kid who will go trick or treating. What will the kid’s costume be?

ghost 6
Princess 4
Batman 3
Spider Man 3
Superhero 1
football player 1
witch 1
Pirate 1

I liked this question a lot. The gender neutral nature of it was interesting, I thought. I would have probably gone ghost here.

(3) Autumn is, of course, football time. You and your college friends are having a tailgate cookoff contest against the fans of your rival school before the big game. Lots of pride rides on this, so you need to nail it. What food do you choose to prepare?

Ribs 5
Chilli 5
Brats 3
Hamburgers 2
burgers 1
BBQ 1
Turkey 1
Hot dogs 1
Chicken Wings 1

The IWS answer to a generic tailgating question would be hamburgers or hot dogs. I tried to get away from that with the idea of having to push it to the next level. That seemed to work. Ribs would be my real life answer. I would have answered brats to this question. So, I would have outsmarted myself here

(4) Can’t forget about Thanksgiving. Other than Turkey, what’s appearing on your Thanksgiving table this year?

Dressing/Stuffing 10
Cranberry Sauce 3
Mashed Potatoes 2
Pumpkin Pie 2
Gravy 1
Green Bean Casserole 1
Sweet Potatoes 1

Couple people tried pie, looking ahead to the next question. I think that stupid got this one right.

(5) Autumn time is pie time. What’s the best pie?

Apple 11
Pumpkin 9

Two pies enter. One pie leaves. No love for pecan?

Which of these[list of] cases do you think will have the biggest impact on Americans going forward?

Already, LLC v. Nike 14
Fisher v. U. Texas 4
Same Sex Marriage 1
Florida v. Jardines 1

Bad question by me. The reading turned people off. Stupid picked the first case on the list. FWIW, Fisher (being argued today) is probably the “right” answer. As a public defender, I love that we got a 4th Amendment case in there. But, overall, you can’t give stupid a reading assignment. I should have known that.

THE RESULTS

Still enjoying Summer

Code:
corbes 88 0.0% Claphamsa 396 0.1% TRO 462 0.1% nilodor 770 0.2% Alf 1,848 0.4% PurdueBrad 3,600 0.9% CrimsonFox 3,780 0.9% stevew 5,670 1.4% digamma 9,240 2.2% Raiders Army 9,240 2.2% kcchief19 9,720 2.3%

Starting to feel a bit of a chill in the air
Code:
Quiksand 22,680 5.5% MIJB#19 51,030 12.3% lighthousekeeper 64,800 15.6% bitrock88 79,200 19.0% Pyser 124,740 30.0%
Cool, football is here
Code:
Suburban Rhythm 136,080 32.7% sterlingice 136,080 32.7% Warhammer 249,480 60.0%
Our winner, with a perfect score, is the new king of Autumn, with all of the rights and privilege that that entails: panerd! All hail panerd!
Code:
panerd 415,800 100.0%

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Felled by pumpkin pie and hamburgers. The pie one was a great splitter and I thought for sure Stupid would still go burgers on the grill.

Aside from the accursed Supreme Court question, good IWS

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah! I will get one up in the next hour or so. It will be a quick turnaround, baby on the way in a few weeks. Anyone have the infamous spreadhseet?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I'm going to drown Spider-Man in a pumpkin pie filled cranberry sauce.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yeah! I will get one up in the next hour or so. It will be a quick turnaround, baby on the way in a few weeks. Anyone have the infamous spreadhseet?

I've got it. Send me a PM with email address to send it to

SI

Old 10-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
korme
Go Reds

Yep, was ready to do this one and then #6 just completely lost it for me. Case of someone being way more into a subject than anybody else. Have to know your (general) audience
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
digamma
Torchbearer

Man, tough judging...

Quote:
Hamburgers 2
burgers 1

Great questions though. Thanks for running.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Man, tough judging...

Ooops. That's what happens when you rush through it . . . Glad it did not affect the outcome.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So, was poking around in my FOFC folder, looking for the IWS spreadsheet and I ran across one called "IWS History". Either I or someone else had compiled the results from the first 40 IWS. Problem: it's just a text dump so far with no compilation or even the inklings one one.

Anyone want to do an IWS history project? Gotta go find all the old threads, compile rankings, results, etc- see who is the best overall, who is the best who only participates in a small number, highest total number of points, highest when you normalize across all IWSs (some winners get 50M points, some get 600K, depending on participation), etc.

SI

Old 10-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

I will sponsor that project for $1.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

whoever picked red delicious has no tastebuds and believes everything they read. :P

Those are the most chalky tasteless fruit of the bunch. Do yourself a favor and try a different kind of apple every day.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The first rule of IWS is that "There is no IWS". Wait, that was Fight Club.

The first rule of IWS is "Don't pick what's correct, pick what everyone else thinks everyone else will pick".

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-10-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
So, was poking around in my FOFC folder, looking for the IWS spreadsheet and I ran across one called "IWS History". Either I or someone else had compiled the results from the first 40 IWS. Problem: it's just a text dump so far with no compilation or even the inklings one one.

Anyone want to do an IWS history project? Gotta go find all the old threads, compile rankings, results, etc- see who is the best overall, who is the best who only participates in a small number, highest total number of points, highest when you normalize across all IWSs (some winners get 50M points, some get 600K, depending on participation), etc.

SI
That sounds familiar...
I browsed through my files and found a spreadsheet with results of the first 48 IWSs.

I think that sort of was my initial intent, to create a historic spreadsheet with results and stuff. THe second being a database of past questions and popular answers to someday become a decent IWS player. But I got to the point of making such a historic scores sheet...
Edit: actually, I also found an iwsalltimeranks spreadsheet (updated through iws#46).

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 10-11-2012 at 02:50 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #14
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

If you put it on kickstarter, I'll throw in $5
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Don't we need someone to volunteer to do it first?

SI