Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
21C
College Prospect

Ping: Roman numeral scholars

I just had a student ask what was the Roman numeral for 4000. I had to admit that I did not know the answer and I couldn't find an acceptable answer by Googling.

I know that 1000 is M and that larger numbers can be represented by a line above a letter - like V(bar) is 5000 and X(bar) is 10000. So 6000 should be V(bar)M and my best guess for 4000 would be MV(bar).

My Googling found MMMM (don't think so) and IV(bar) which initially sounded plausible until I realized that there is no such thing as I(bar).

I don't know if there is a definitive answer. Any thoughts?

21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
From what I remember, 4000 was the cutoff to start using the bar, so I believe it is MMMM.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 03-02-2009 at 07:10 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
I just had a student ask what was the Roman numeral for 4000. I had to admit that I did not know the answer and I couldn't find an acceptable answer by Googling.

I know that 1000 is M and that larger numbers can be represented by a line above a letter - like V(bar) is 5000 and X(bar) is 10000. So 6000 should be V(bar)M and my best guess for 4000 would be MV(bar).

My Googling found MMMM (don't think so) and IV(bar) which initially sounded plausible until I realized that there is no such thing as I(bar).

I don't know if there is a definitive answer. Any thoughts?

I don't have the answer though I think that cartman is probably right but your post reminded me of a similar question from a few years back. It occurred in one of my daughter's Mental Maths homework exercises. The question was to turn 189 into Roman numerals. Nothing exceptional you might say but my daughter was only 8 at the time - this was an exercise for year 3 students! I recall thinking "what was in the mind of the person that set the curriculum for year 3 students when they decided that converting 189 into Roman numerals was something an eight year old should know?" But, astonishingly, she did it!
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
21C
College Prospect

I thought (and have always taught) that you were not supposed to have more than three of the same letters together.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

It appears IV(Bar over both) would be the correct way to label it.

Here is what I found....

from answers.com/roman_numerals.

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia: Roman numerals
Home > Library > Miscellaneous > Britannica Concise Encyclopedia

System of representing numbers devised by the ancient Romans. The numbers are formed by combinations of the symbols I, V, X, L, C, D, and M, standing, respectively, for 1, 5, 10, 50, 100, 500, and 1,000 in the Hindu-Arabic numeral system. A symbol placed after another of equal or greater value adds its value; for example, II = 2 and LX = 60. A symbol placed before one of greater value subtracts its value; for example, IV = 4 and XL = 40. A bar over a symbol indicates that its value should be multiplied by 1,000.
For more information on Roman numerals, visit Britannica.com.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
21C
College Prospect

I disagree. By that reasoning, 2000 would be II(bar) where it is really MM.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

It may go up to MMM as we have a set letter to represent 1000, but since you can't have more than three of the same symbols in a row after that you need IV instead of MMMM. Using II with bars makes absolutely no sense when we have a letter for 1000. Therefore we use bars for numbers >= 4000.

Last edited by Commo_Soldier : 03-02-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
sabotai
General Manager

With my google-fu, it seems that the Romans didn't really have a standard for large numbers. I'm going to go with "Any way that gets you to 4000 in the smallest amount of letters used is acceptable". So II both w/ bar or MV w/ a bar over V. Either one works.

Last edited by sabotai : 03-02-2009 at 07:47 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #9
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yup, I've just read more on Roman numerals via google than I ever thought I would. Basically, there was no "standard" once you get high up in the numbers, and things changed over time. I saw some awful creative methods of writing it, but I honestly think I'd go with MMMM for ease of use.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #10
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yup, I've just read more on Roman numerals via google than I ever thought I would.

Me too!

This site seems to know what it's talking about:

Roman Numerals

Last edited by Mac Howard : 03-02-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard View Post
I don't have the answer though I think that cartman is probably right but your post reminded me of a similar question from a few years back. It occurred in one of my daughter's Mental Maths homework exercises. The question was to turn 189 into Roman numerals. Nothing exceptional you might say but my daughter was only 8 at the time - this was an exercise for year 3 students! I recall thinking "what was in the mind of the person that set the curriculum for year 3 students when they decided that converting 189 into Roman numerals was something an eight year old should know?" But, astonishingly, she did it!

Not sure how the teacher presented it because I have worked with some from both sides but my guess is it was meant as a challenge to really get her thinking. This would have required the teacher to do at least some explaining about Roman Numerals and also to say that this is a challenge and if they don't figure it out they shouldn't worry about it. If so, it shows how bright your daughter is to not only you but the teacher. And then the teacher can begin to really challenge your daugther.

With that said it could also just be an idiot teacher not understanding the intent of the curriculum. Who teaches kids to estimate using strict rules, who asks odd questions on tests that knowing the answers will never serve any practical purpose (Name the 4 empires who battled during World War I), and who probably can't do the problem themselves. They have no knowledge outside of anything explained in the book.

I would say there are a lot of these teachers out there but not near the number of parents who consider their teacher one of them.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #12
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It said the largest numbers they regularly dealt with were dates. Why is that? There had to have been lots of things that required large numbers (like population, quantity of goods, troops, inventory etc.).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:54 AM   #13
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Not sure how the teacher presented it because I have worked with some from both sides but my guess is it was meant as a challenge to really get her thinking. This would have required the teacher to do at least some explaining about Roman Numerals and also to say that this is a challenge and if they don't figure it out they shouldn't worry about it. If so, it shows how bright your daughter is to not only you but the teacher. And then the teacher can begin to really challenge your daugther.

With that said it could also just be an idiot teacher not understanding the intent of the curriculum. Who teaches kids to estimate using strict rules, who asks odd questions on tests that knowing the answers will never serve any practical purpose (Name the 4 empires who battled during World War I), and who probably can't do the problem themselves. They have no knowledge outside of anything explained in the book.

I would say there are a lot of these teachers out there but not near the number of parents who consider their teacher one of them.

Two further pieces of information:

1) it was just one of 25 questions in a mental arithmetic homework excercise.

2) It wasn't one teacher that chose this but in an official Western Australian curriculum book of tests - ie set by the education board.

There were a number of questions in the book (containing about 20 tests in all) which struck me as being somewhat esoteric for eight year olds.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 03-03-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
It said the largest numbers they regularly dealt with were dates. Why is that? There had to have been lots of things that required large numbers (like population, quantity of goods, troops, inventory etc.).

Why didn't you just ask them at the time, then we'd know now

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote