Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2005, 03:18 AM   #1
vyshka
Mascot

FM2005 Question

What is the point of saving a shortlist, if all the people get pulled off of it when the scout starts a new search? Is there any way to save the results of a search before you start a new search with the scout?

vyshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:31 AM   #2
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyshka
What is the point of saving a shortlist, if all the people get pulled off of it when the scout starts a new search? Is there any way to save the results of a search before you start a new search with the scout?

I think you're confusing two different things. The shortlist stays (is saved) until you take someone off it ... or you indicate you only want them on the shortlist for a month, year, etc..

The scout search reports are seperate. Basically send you scouts out. When they find players you like ... right click on their name and add them to your shortlist (this basically saves them) and you can also save any notes from your scouts.

Right before you send your scout out on a new assignment, check all the players he's scouted under the scout search screen and add any interesting folks to your short list. Then start a new search. Your scout's search info. will go away, but your shortlist will still be intact.

Last edited by moriarty : 06-20-2005 at 07:32 AM.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Yes, but when you reassign your scout the message states "your scout's search results have not been saved and will be lost" or somesuch. So there is no way to save the scout's search in its entirety? You have to manually pick and choose who to add to your shortlist?
Old 06-20-2005, 09:33 AM   #4
Huckleberry
College Starter

Here's my question:

Where is the load game option? I have to quit and restart the game when I want to switch back and forth between careers (I'm running two).

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:19 AM   #5
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Yes, but when you reassign your scout the message states "your scout's search results have not been saved and will be lost" or somesuch. So there is no way to save the scout's search in its entirety? You have to manually pick and choose who to add to your shortlist?

That's the way I do it, but maybe someone has a better method. I don't recall an option to save the scout's ratings, but it might exist. Of course you can always use the print screen option to save the scout search to a file/printout.

Quote:
Here's my question:
Where is the load game option? I have to quit and restart the game when I want to switch back and forth between careers (I'm running two).

I'm not sure I understand the question. When you load up the game, there's an initial screen where you can select Load Game, Load Last Game, etc... Load Game should allow you to pick you saved game file.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:28 AM   #6
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

He's talking about he has 2 careers so say he has Real Madrid in one, and Man Utd in the other. When he is playing the Real Madrid one, is there a load option so that he can go straight into the Man Utd career without having to restart the game.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:48 AM   #7
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Here's a question I'm rather embarrassed to ask...

Does anyone have a source for player attribute definitions? In other words, a place where it states: "The attribute XXXX rates the player's ability to do X-Y-Z, and has a minor impact on blah-blah-blah."

I don't understand why they aren't in the game manual, but perhaps I'm just blind.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:56 AM   #8
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Here's a question I'm rather embarrassed to ask...

Does anyone have a source for player attribute definitions? In other words, a place where it states: "The attribute XXXX rates the player's ability to do X-Y-Z, and has a minor impact on blah-blah-blah."

I don't understand why they aren't in the game manual, but perhaps I'm just blind.

I thought they were in the manual, but I don't have it in front of me. Here's one website with some explanations (both from the manual and in general terms):
Website w/ FM2005 attributes

Quote:
He's talking about he has 2 careers so say he has Real Madrid in one, and Man Utd in the other. When he is playing the Real Madrid one, is there a load option so that he can go straight into the Man Utd career without having to restart the game.

Ahh, that makes more sense. Sorry can't help with that one.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:08 PM   #9
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999

You have to exit and restart, there isn't another option. It sucks sometimes, but it's how it works, you can't get back to the main menu once you've entered a game.

I'm pretty sure you can save a scout search. I don't have the game in front of me but there should be a dropdown button in either the top or bottom right of the scout search screen that lets you save the list. Either way, even if you don't save the search, all you're losing is the list view, any ratings he discovered for players will still be shown in those particular players' profiles, as well as scouting descriptions on their information page.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:48 PM   #10
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Okay, new question, perhaps based on my relatively weak knowledge of soccer:

Why is it that the opponent always seems to generate great scoring chances off my goal kicks? I understand that the defending players can come up on the ball better (going back toward my goal), but it frequently seems like the goalie kicks it straight to them, and then...whamo!

Is there a way to get the goalie to kick it elsewhere? Or does he have a poor rating? Or is this common?
Old 06-20-2005, 03:00 PM   #11
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Why is it that the opponent always seems to generate great scoring chances off my goal kicks? I understand that the defending players can come up on the ball better (going back toward my goal), but it frequently seems like the goalie kicks it straight to them, and then...whamo!

Is there a way to get the goalie to kick it elsewhere? Or does he have a poor rating? Or is this common?

With goal kicks he's basically going to boot it most of the time, but there is an option in your tactics in the keeper's personal instructions where it says "distribution" to set it to "ask defenders to collect." If you have a keeper with poor kicking and throwing skills this is probably the way to go, as he'll keep it simple and make shorter passes to defenders instead of trying to play the ball downfield.

I think a lot of times it seems like you're conceding a lot of goals off of goal kicks, when really it's just a function of the highlight setting you're watching the game at. I mean if you've got it set to Key highlights the only time you're going to see a goal kick is when it results in a scoring opportunity for either your team or theirs, and unfortunately it's going to be the latter more often as it's difficult to create a chance immediately following one of your own goal kicks. So short answer, it might just be a perception problem, or you need better defenders, but there really isn't anything you can do ultimately by tweaking a setting.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:07 PM   #12
Critch
lolzcat

I don't think I've ever seen my keeper give up a goal that way. Normally I have my keeper sent to 'Long' passing so he just punts it as far up the pitch as he can. Maybe try that? At least then if he messes up it'll be far away.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:15 PM   #13
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:

Assuming you're on the current version (as I believe there was an issue with this corrected in an earlier patch, but I could be wrong) ... your goalie sucks.

Last edited by moriarty : 06-20-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:35 PM   #14
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I only just got the game and have not patched it yet.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:44 PM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I only just got the game and have not patched it yet.

That is your problem. I think any version before 5.05 (definitely any before 5.03) had a problem where your keeper would kick it RIGHT to the opposition. It was very annoying. Fortunately, that and all significant bugs are fixed in 5.05.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:46 PM   #16
jbmagic
Pro Starter

WSUCougar

here a great guideline to get started.

http://www.sortitoutsi.net/forums/in...howtopic=15315

there also
A Guide To Playing FM Part 1-Part 9 by Cleon
http://fm.sortitoutsi.net/index.php?...w=incat&cat=16
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:29 PM   #17
vyshka
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
I think you're confusing two different things. The shortlist stays (is saved) until you take someone off it ... or you indicate you only want them on the shortlist for a month, year, etc..

The scout search reports are seperate. Basically send you scouts out. When they find players you like ... right click on their name and add them to your shortlist (this basically saves them) and you can also save any notes from your scouts.

Right before you send your scout out on a new assignment, check all the players he's scouted under the scout search screen and add any interesting folks to your short list. Then start a new search. Your scout's search info. will go away, but your shortlist will still be intact.

When you are on the scout search page, at the bottom of the list of players there is a drop down list of actions, one of which is "save as shortlist" or something worded close to that. What is its purpose? If I save that, and then go to shortlists, I can see the players there. If I start a new search with the scout though, they all disappear. I will go ahead and manually save them to the shortlist since that appears to be the only way to do it.
vyshka is offline   Reply With Quote