Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: You're the owner, what should the 2005 NL Champion Rockies payroll be for 2006?
Great work! Here's a blank check, keep the winning coming! 0 0%
Good job, GM. Keep payroll under $80 million for next season 3 60.00%
Nice work, but..times are tight. We've gotta keep it at no more than $65 million 2 40.00%
We can't afford to increase salary at all. Keep it at its current level ($58.3m) or lower. 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

You're the owner...select my team's 2006 payroll budget

Ok, I'm doing my Rockies dynasty here and I'm enjoying it just fine without a whole lot of people caring one way or another.

But I want to be fair about the payroll. I don't like how MVP Baseball 2005 does the "budgets" and so, to simulate real baseball there is no cap. Instead, I'll make you all the owner and give you a range (that fits within my story line or at least is plausible) and you'll pick.

There will be other times too, when I'll appeal to the "owners" for specific things and then we'll go from there. I figure it'll counteract the natural staleness that occurs after a while of messing around with your own league, logic and such.

So anyway, here we go.

The Rockies won the NL West. They beat the Phillies in the NLDS, then knocked off the St. Louis Cardinals in 7 games to advance to their first-ever World Series appearance.

Ownership allowed the team to raise payroll to up to $60m (according to my current story) after the team did surprisingly well and was going to contend. The logic being, the fans have waited over a decade for a winner, if this team was the one to do it, they'd better invest and ask questions later.

Well, the team's payroll is $58.3 million. You're the owner.

Do you grant the team a huge increase to continue to contend?
Do you argue that if they could succeed on this modest amount, they ought to continue with a modest increase - say to resign a key player or two - and that's it?

The Yankees lead the majors with $218.6 million payroll. They lost in the ALCS to the Red Sox, who are in the Series again. The Sox are second in the majors with $120.5 million payroll.

San Diego was the lowest payroll team to make the playoffs this year with a payroll just over $56 million. Meanwhile, the numbers 1, 2 and 3 teams in salary all made the playoffs.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote