Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-01-2023, 09:18 AM   #8401
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The hypocrisy of this is staggering. we watched Trump for 4 years charge the secret service outrageous amounts to stay at his properties not to mention his daughter getting Chinese patents, etc... and now all these complicit GOP fucks are clutching their pearls because Joe may have helped Hunter, not a civil servant, based on the testimony of a convicted felon.

Last edited by Lathum : 08-01-2023 at 09:24 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 09:22 AM   #8402
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I believe Joe participating in phone calls is a new disclosure? I don't remember reading about it and not the 20 times.

I get Joe may not have formally discussed business dealings (e.g. contractual details etc.) but participation in actual calls increases the odds that he did listen in and was a party to some details (and not just niceties as mentioned below).

Still not a smoking gun though (e.g. show me the money trail to Joe, show me the relevant text, emails etc. to Joe). Unless Joe received some $, this is still a nothing burger and, at best, a blind spot for his frakking son.

Devon Archer debate focuses on Hunter Biden ‘illusion of access’ | The Hill

It was already out there that Joe talked to him, but all indications were it was friendly nice to meet you stuff. No business deals discussed. Democrats at the meeting want the transcript of the meeting because it shows. Republicans just want to say he's corrupt because he was talking a corrupt businessman. If they ever did up email or phone conversations that show otherwise they have absolutely nothing on him
Old 08-01-2023, 05:17 PM   #8403
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
It was already out there that Joe talked to him, but all indications were it was friendly nice to meet you stuff. No business deals discussed. Democrats at the meeting want the transcript of the meeting because it shows. Republicans just want to say he's corrupt because he was talking a corrupt businessman. If they ever did up email or phone conversations that show otherwise they have absolutely nothing on him

It may well be no business deals discussed but I can easily see Joe being aware of the players in the room, the reason for the meeting, and Hunter prepping him with some key details & stuff to say or not to say (normal stuff in any big meeting).

I'd be surprised if there are actual transcripts but an email summary/recap is probably more likely. Yes, I'd like to see those come out if not already.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 05:55 PM   #8404
Edward64
Head Coach

Joe should get a handle on this. I assume Adams went so public because things weren't getting done through regular channels. I don't know why Joe isn't helping, I think its reasonable for NY to get more $.

NYC Mayor Adams warns Biden about spiraling migrant crisis - POLITICO
Quote:
Images of migrants forced to sleep on Manhattan sidewalks in recent days are hammering home a point New York City Mayor Eric Adams has long been trying to make to President Joe Biden.

“We need help,” Adams said Monday. “And it’s not going to get any better. From this moment on, it’s downhill.”
Quote:
Photos, videos and interviews from the street outside the midtown Manhattan hotel doubling as an intake center are circulating online and in the national media. Groups of newly arrived men resigned to sleeping on cardboard boxes have found that, as Adams has repeatedly warned the White House, there is no room for them.
I agree Congress should fix this but if it does get fixed, it probably won't happen before the elections. Heck, GOP will be enjoying watching a Blue state struggle with illegal immigration. So Joe should fix or put a bandaid on it somehow.

Quote:
The images are stark, but they’re unlikely to prompt Biden and his top aides to take immediate action as they’ve said the national immigration problem requires a congressional solution.

Adams has blamed the White House for not sending enough financial aid or acting on requests like expedited work authorization. More than 93,000 migrants have come to the city since last spring. More than half remain in its care.

Old 08-01-2023, 08:36 PM   #8405
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Posting this not for the content but more for the fact that it just struck me watching this that it's been 2.5 years since this video but Mitch has aged about 20 years. Wow.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 09:34 PM   #8406
Edward64
Head Coach

Mitch - 81
Bernie - 81
Joe - 80
Trump - 77

I have to believe all of them are experiencing some level of cognitive decline. The question is how significant/quickly for each. Maybe Mitch drew the short straw.

Quote:
People may experience a slow and gradual decline in cognitive abilities, while others may experience a more rapid progression. In general, the progression of cognitive impairment is faster in the later stages (moderate and severe) compared to the earlier stages (no impairment and mild).

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-01-2023 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2023, 09:44 PM   #8407
RainMaker
General Manager

Eric Adam's is great. He just complains about how shitty his city is and wonders if there is anyone in charge of that city who might be able to help.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 10:18 PM   #8408
Ksyrup

Falling a few times surely accelerates the decline.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-03-2023, 02:07 PM   #8409
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

No surprise that the GOP has been lying about what's been said about Biden,

Old 08-03-2023, 03:28 PM   #8410
RainMaker
General Manager

I guess it's been reported that Feinstein's daughter has power of attorney over her. Not sure there is any precedent for that in the Senate but not very encouraging to have a United States Senator who can't make decisions for herself.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:42 PM   #8411
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

But it's not their responsibility to be correct. It's your fault if you believe it, they can say whatever they want, cos first amendment!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 03:44 PM   #8412
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I guess it's been reported that Feinstein's daughter has power of attorney over her. Not sure there is any precedent for that in the Senate but not very encouraging to have a United States Senator who can't make decisions for herself.

Probably a stupid question, but is the daughter allowed to vote in the Senate in her mother's name? Assuming the report is true.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:45 PM   #8413
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

The goalposts constantly shift with these MAGA idiots. Since there is no testimony claiming any wrongdoing they will just say it was implied and Joe obviously knew what was happening.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:58 PM   #8414
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere
is the daughter allowed to vote in the Senate in her mother's name? Assuming the report is true.

No. That's not what power of attorney does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
But it's not their responsibility to be correct. It's your fault if you believe it, they can say whatever they want, cos first amendment!

Sure beats the snot out of the alternative of people being criminally liable for not believing the official line (in general, not on any one specific issue).

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 08-03-2023 at 04:00 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 04:29 PM   #8415
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Everybody over sixty should have a trusted child with power of attorney. It's a guard against chaos if a sudden illness or injury occurs. I've always heard it recommended as you get older.
Old 08-05-2023, 11:41 AM   #8416
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Biden is putting his name on economic progress, but will voters just drive right by? | CNN Politics

I love this. Fuck these assholes who take credit for jobs and projects they voted against. There should be some provision that states if they take the money they have to publicly admit they voted against it.
Old 08-05-2023, 11:43 AM   #8417
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- I would be fine if there was a rule that if your rep votes against funding their district doesn't get any of it.
Old 08-09-2023, 09:15 AM   #8418
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Old 08-09-2023, 02:04 PM   #8419
RainMaker
General Manager

Better hope it's not serious or no more judges get confirmed till 2025.
Old 08-09-2023, 03:12 PM   #8420
Thomkal
Head Coach

FBI announced today that they shot and killed a man in Utah today that they were trying to serve a search warrant on after he made various threats against the President, VP, and several people involved in the Trump indictments
Old 08-09-2023, 03:30 PM   #8421
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Somewhere, an overweight balding guy in sunglasses, a Jason Aldean shirt and a miscolored American Flag hat is yelling something about Ruby Ridge in front of his freezer chest in the garage.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 03:46 PM   #8422
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

These people are such fucking ghouls

Old 08-09-2023, 04:38 PM   #8423
RainMaker
General Manager

Anything to keep the grift going.
Old 08-09-2023, 04:47 PM   #8424
PilotMan
Head Coach

Just wait until the "say his name" banter starts up

Like Steam?

Old 08-09-2023, 05:16 PM   #8425
RainMaker
General Manager

Gravy Seals

Old 08-09-2023, 05:19 PM   #8426
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Seems like a reasonable guy. I hear that it is ok to do crimes as long as you really believe deep in your heart the other side stole an election.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 05:55 PM   #8427
RainMaker
General Manager

Reading through the warrant, it was Truth Social that turned him in to the FBI.
Old 08-09-2023, 06:07 PM   #8428
BYU 14
Coordinator

Well, at least we got a couple dozen weapons out of the hands of an irresponsible gun owner, fucking Clown, how did he think that would any other way than what he asked for?

Now on to martyrdom on Fox
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 07:20 PM   #8429
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The spin on this is already amazing. Is it really so hard for these people to say, yeah, this guy was on our side but he was a looney who put horrible shit on social media and we disavow his actions.

This is why we will never find common ground with these people. The refuse to budge an inch regardless of how obvious the situation.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:26 PM   #8430
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Well, at least we got a couple dozen weapons out of the hands of an irresponsible gun owner, fucking Clown, how did he think that would any other way than what he asked for?

Now on to martyrdom on Fox

Suicide by FBI
Old 08-09-2023, 07:28 PM   #8431
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The spin on this is already amazing. Is it really so hard for these people to say, yeah, this guy was on our side but he was a looney who put horrible shit on social media and we disavow his actions.

This is why we will never find common ground with these people. The refuse to budge an inch regardless of how obvious the situation.

They can't, because too many of their supporters identify with him.
Old 08-10-2023, 04:23 AM   #8432
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

In just over two years, credit card debt has increased from 770B to break the 1 trillion mark for the first time. I'd say that's an unsustainable problem.
Old 08-10-2023, 06:57 AM   #8433
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
In just over two years, credit card debt has increased from 770B to break the 1 trillion mark for the first time. I'd say that's an unsustainable problem.

Yeah, but both my youngest kids just got credit cards, so that alone probably accounts for it.

Like Steam?

Old 08-10-2023, 07:01 AM   #8434
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

The headline I saw was "Man Killed During FBI Raid After Allegedly Threatening Biden."

Pretty sure my Massie (R)-KY sold my information to get on this particular mailing list. I usually get on all the freaky lists after I've sent something to my reps.

Like Steam?

Old 08-10-2023, 07:45 AM   #8435
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I'm pretty sure you underestimate our ability to sustain financial gluttony.

US National Debt by Year
Quote:
2000 - $5.67T
2004 - $7.37T
2008 - $10.02T
2012 - $16.06T
2016 - $19.57T
2020 - $27.74T
:
2022 - $30.82T

Nice to have national debt 5x in 22 years.
Old 08-10-2023, 07:57 AM   #8436
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

There's a huge difference between national debt and consumer debt. I would say both are bad in general, but the consequences of them are not the same.
Old 08-10-2023, 09:04 AM   #8437
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Gravy Seals

Well, at least he walked the walk, I guess and didn't live long enough to cry at his court appearance like all the "manly" 1/6 MAGAs.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 01:27 PM   #8438
Edward64
Head Coach

It was nice while it lasted, but here comes another funding battle.

House GOP weighs government shutdown escape hatch: A deal with Dems - POLITICO
Quote:
If Speaker Kevin McCarthy has any hope of avoiding a shutdown this fall, he’ll probably need help from Democrats.

But he’s not guaranteed to get it — at least not yet.

By Sept. 30, House GOP leaders have to pass a major bipartisan spending deal or a short-term patch to keep the government open
Article is basically about Dems possibly helping out McCarthy

Quote:
On each of those items, senior Republicans widely acknowledge the difficulty of corralling their hard-right wing. Some of them also worry that Democrats won’t be in any mood to help them out of a bind on rules for debate, even if it means a shutdown.
Quote:
Privately, senior Democrats aren’t ruling out such a bailout ... they’re waiting to see what the GOP puts forward or can get over the finish line themselves next month, according to two Democrats granted anonymity to discuss internal conversations.
Yeah, let the moderate factions do some traditional horsetrading.

Quote:
“At some point we’ll have to deal with the reality that America is a two-party system. If we can’t do it on our own, there may come a point in time when you want to have to deal with Democrats,” said Rep. Dave Joyce (R-Ohio), who leads the centrist Republican Governance Group and has been part of GOP spending talks.
Quote:
“Life is about horse trading. It’s about give and take, and I’m always willing to do that,” said Rep. Brad Schneider (D-Ill.), a member of the centrist New Democrat Coalition.

Schneider was one of roughly 50 Democrats who voted with Republicans the last time that the GOP needed an assist to manage their own floor. He and others helped advance a must-pass debt deal between President Joe Biden and McCarthy in May as dozens of conservatives revolted.
I'm guessing fair chance we'll end up with this ...

Quote:
Still, many acknowledge that their party will probably help support a stopgap funding bill — as long as McCarthy keeps it free of conservative poison pills, such as abortion and diversity-related measures, that the GOP has packed into several major pieces of legislation this year.
Old 08-10-2023, 03:33 PM   #8439
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I don't think they view that as a problem. It's a benefit.
Old 08-11-2023, 12:12 PM   #8440
Edward64
Head Coach

Good, dig deeper. Fair odds there's more dirt hidden away (or ignored) somewhere.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...ba2e28844093bb
Quote:
Attorney General Merrick Garland said Friday that “extraordinary circumstances” surrounding the federal criminal investigation into Hunter Biden contributed to his decision to give the top prosecutor in the probe special counsel status.
:
Garland said that Weiss will continue to serve as the US Attorney for the District of Delaware as he takes on this new post. And he noted that in the special counsel position, Weiss will “not be subject to the day-to-day supervision of any official of the department.”
Good this also. Let's have an eager prosecutor/team bring out everything in court and just play it out.

Quote:
Hunter Biden criminal case appears to be headed to trial weeks after judge pushed back on proposed plea deal

Bad day for Hunter.
Old 08-11-2023, 12:20 PM   #8441
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Why hadn't that been done? They drag this stuff out forever, and this is going to be right in the middle of the election season. Jack Smith and David Weiss should have gotten these appointments 2-3 years ago. None of this stuff just happened yesterday.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 12:32 PM   #8442
PilotMan
Head Coach

So Hunter offered up access for 5M, while his dad was VP, but his dad had nothing to do with it. And that alone is impeachable for Joe.

But, Kushner, who was actually working in the WH, was the main point of contact for the ME and Saudi's and had a direct line to the president, gets 2B directly from the Saudi's and they bought his albatross of a building and Kushner PROFITED while he worked in the WH, but he's now out of office, so it's all ok? Like he doesn't have any sort of connections or contact anymore? Really? That's the line of demarcation?

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 08-11-2023 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2023, 12:54 PM   #8443
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Why hadn't that been done? They drag this stuff out forever, and this is going to be right in the middle of the election season. Jack Smith and David Weiss should have gotten these appointments 2-3 years ago. None of this stuff just happened yesterday.

Re: dragging it out

For the trial, I'm going to guess the "deal" that blew up was the reason why not earlier. Probably took a while to agree to and then the judge had some questions, and the attorneys didn't seem to be initially aligned. BTW how the heck does something like below happen? Isn't it all written down and all the important questions asked & answered?

Quote:
The judge asked the parties to hammer out the agreement and return later, leaving Hunter Biden to enter a not-guilty plea while it's litigated.

Lawyers for Hunter Biden had also indicated they believed that the plea agreement would settle all matters facing the president's son, but prosecutors said that other investigations continued.

"After the hearing, the parties continued negotiating but reached an impasse.
A trial is therefore in order," prosecutors said in their Friday filing.

I really don't know if it was a sweetheart deal. I read some that said yes, I read some that said no (so no surprise there wasn't a consensus). But I am glad it's going to trial and see it play out.

The special prosecutor thing was apparently a surprise and quick. Weiss asked on Tue and Garland okayed today. I do wonder if there was some "new evidence" that escalated his role ... dunno.

Looks like 2024 is going to be full of Trump/Hunter trial stuff.
Old 08-11-2023, 03:32 PM   #8444
Thomkal
Head Coach

So now Republicans who begged for the Special Counsel are unhappy because its the same guy who made the plea deal with Hunter
Old 08-11-2023, 06:00 PM   #8445
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Josh Marshall has a good thread on how the legal system is tilted towards GOP expectations. On the one hand a Dem admin investigates and will take Hunter to trial. On the other, everyone just assumes Trump will end all investigations if he wins.
Old 08-11-2023, 10:46 PM   #8446
RainMaker
General Manager

Human traffickers might have killed a 3 year old. Cross country bus trips in this heat are not a good idea for little kids.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/11/u...bbott-bus.html
Old 08-12-2023, 01:34 PM   #8447
Atocep
Coordinator

Texas: What about the unborn child's rights?

Also Texas: An unborn child doesn't have rights under the US Constitution

Texas questions rights of a fetus after a prison guard who had a stillborn baby sues | AP News
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 01:47 PM   #8448
Edward64
Head Coach

There's a chance they'll get away with that specific argument on a technicality. But yeah, poor defense strategy.

Texas fights compensation for prison worker who lost her baby | The Texas Tribune
Quote:
The state’s argument relies largely — but not exclusively — on the timing of the tragedy. Issa lost her unborn child seven months before the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in the famous Dobbs decision.

“This Court need not weigh into the difficult question of whether, post-Dobbs, an unborn child possesses constitutional rights under the Fourteenth Amendment,” wrote Benjamin Dower, with the attorney general’s special litigation office, in a January filing. “Even if he or she does, that right was not clearly established on November 15, 2021.”

The change in tune when it’s the state accused of wrongdoing is striking, said Mary Ziegler, a legal historian focused on abortion and fetal rights at University of California, Davis. She said she didn’t understand why the state opted to fight the lawsuit instead of taking the opportunity to say, “We don’t treat unborn children like this in the state of Texas.”
Old 08-12-2023, 05:02 PM   #8449
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
There's a huge difference between national debt and consumer debt. I would say both are bad in general, but the consequences of them are not the same.

And anyone who equates them at any other than a wholly superficial level does nothing but betray their financial illiteracy.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 10:36 PM   #8450
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Timely article that provides more details on the impetus. Lots to unpack in the article. The article made it sound that Caribbean leaders were reluctant to support a prior intervention but is okay with one now (no real details on the politics).

re: Haiti

Glad UN & US could find a country that will (likely) accept the assignment. It's evident there isn't a lot of "will" here so I predict failure.

The US wants Kenya to lead a force in Haiti with 1,000 police. Watchdogs say they'll export abuse | AP News
Quote:
Now the U.S., as this month’s president of the U.N. Security Council, is preparing to put forward a resolution to authorize a mission in Haiti led by Kenyan police, who have relatively little overseas experience in such large numbers and don’t speak French, which is used in Haiti.
:
Kenya’s interest was announced on Saturday, with its foreign minister saying his government has “accepted to positively consider” leading a force in Haiti and sending 1,000 police officers to train the Haitian National Police, “restore normalcy” and protect strategic installations.
Article said the Kenyan police don't have a great reputation at home. I'm sure Kenya isn't doing without some $. Wonder what they are getting.

Quote:
For more than nine months, the U.N. had appealed unsuccessfully for a country to lead an effort to restore order to the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere.

I wish Haiti had a lot of oil or rare earth metals. Whole different story then.