Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
Huckleberry
College Starter

Baseball Official Scorekeeping Rule Change

Not that it's an at all unusual situation, but in tonight's St. Louis @ Houston game, Wandy Rodríguez pitched a great game (especially for him) and the Astros had a 3-0 lead going into the top of the 9th. José Valverde promptly gave up 3 runs in the top of the inning before the Astros won it in the bottom half.

So he gets the win. A blown save, but he gets the win.

Why hasn't it been considered to make a pitcher that gets a blown save ineligible for the win? I don't really pay attention to wins and losses, especially for relievers, but doesn't it seem fair that Rodríguez get the win? You know, give the win to the pitcher previously eligible for it before the guy blew the save. Unless the game goes extra innings, for example, and a reliever that comes in after the goat performs well.

Just slightly irritating.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 04-07-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I agree. Or just say "nobody gets the win"
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
Subby
lolzcat

Lots of things need to be changed with respect to relief pitcher stats, starting with what defines a save.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
lungs
Pro Rookie

Pitcher wins should be outlawed.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

The great sabermetric article from a few weeks ago made a fantastic point about how meaningless and idiotic unearned runs are.

One of the things that makes baseball the greatest sport in the world is how much of its history is woven into todays game, but sometimes history makes it hard to give up the bad things, too.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:18 PM   #6
korme
Go Reds

Dude the only thing that matters is wins (says Paul Daugherty, idiot)
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
molson
General Manager

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think I heard an announcer once say that the official scorekeeper actually has the discretion to award the "Win" to another pitcher in this kind of situation. They hardly ever actually do so, but I'm almost sure I've heard of it happening before.

Edit: Upon looking up the rule, I think I'm confusing it with the "save discretion" rule. The official scorer doesn't HAVE to award a save (if say, someone pitches the last 3 innings and gives up 10 runs, and his team wins 20-10).

Last edited by molson : 04-07-2008 at 10:28 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:39 PM   #8
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Dude the only thing that matters is wins (says Paul Daugherty, idiot)

Thats because everyone knows the good pitchers have the ability to pitch to the score.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:10 AM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think I heard an announcer once say that the official scorekeeper actually has the discretion to award the "Win" to another pitcher in this kind of situation. They hardly ever actually do so, but I'm almost sure I've heard of it happening before.

Edit: Upon looking up the rule, I think I'm confusing it with the "save discretion" rule. The official scorer doesn't HAVE to award a save (if say, someone pitches the last 3 innings and gives up 10 runs, and his team wins 20-10).

Looks like there is discretion, dunno how often it gets used however. And it only applies to subsequent relievers.

Quote:
10.17 Winning And Losing Pitcher
(a) The official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher that pitcher whose team assumes a lead while such pitcher is in the game, or during the inning on offense in which such pitcher is removed from the game, and does not relinquish such lead, unless
(1) such pitcher is a starting pitcher and Rule 10.17(b) applies; or
(2) Rule 10.17(c) applies.
Rule 10.17(a) Comment: Whenever the score is tied, the game becomes a new contest insofar as the winning pitcher is concerned. Once the opposing team assumes the lead, all pitchers who have pitched up to that point and have been replaced are excluded from being credited with the victory. If the pitcher against whose pitching the opposing team gained the lead continues to pitch until his team regains the lead, which it holds to the finish of the game, that pitcher shall be the winning pitcher.
(b) If the pitcher whose team assumes a lead while such pitcher is in the game, or during the inning on offense in which such pitcher is removed from the game, and does not relinquish such lead, is a starting pitcher who has not completed
(1) five innings of a game that lasts six or more innings on defense, or
(2) four innings of a game that lasts five innings on defense, then the official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher the relief pitcher, if there is only one relief pitcher, or the relief pitcher who, in the official scorer’s judgment was the most effective, if there is more than one relief pitcher.
Rule 10.17(b) Comment: It is the intent of Rule 10.17(b) that a relief pitcher pitch at least one complete inning or pitch when a crucial out is made, within the context of the game (including the score), in order to be credited as the winning pitcher. If the first relief pitcher pitches effectively, the official scorer should not presumptively credit that pitcher with the win, because the rule requires that the win be credited to the pitcher who was the most effective, and a subsequent relief pitcher may have been most effective. The official scorer, in determining which relief pitcher was the most effective, should consider the number of runs, earned runs and base runners given up by each relief pitcher and the context of the game at the time of each relief pitcher’s appearance. If two or more relief pitchers were similarly effective, the official scorer should give the presumption to the earlier pitcher as the winning pitcher.
(c) The official scorer shall not credit as the winning pitcher a relief pitcher who is ineffective in a brief appearance, when at least one succeeding relief pitcher pitches effectively in helping his team maintain its lead. In such a case, the official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher the succeeding relief pitcher who was most effective, in the judgment of the official scorer.
Rule 10.17(c) Comment: The official scorer generally should, but is not required to, consider the appearance of a relief pitcher to be ineffective and brief if such relief pitcher pitches less than one inning and allows two or more earned runs to score (even if such runs are charged to a previous pitcher). Rule 10.17(b) Comment provides guidance on choosing the winning pitcher from among several succeeding relief pitchers.
(d) A losing pitcher is a pitcher who is responsible for the run that gives the winning team a lead that the winning team does not relinquish.
Rule 10.17(d) Comment: Whenever the score is tied, the game becomes a new contest insofar as the losing pitcher is concerned.
(e) A league may designate a non-championship game (for example, the Major League All-Star Game) for which Rules 10.17(a)(1) and 10.17(b) do not apply. In such games, the official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher that pitcher whose team assumes a lead while such pitcher is in the game, or during the inning on offense in which such pitcher is removed from the game, and does not relinquish such lead, unless such pitcher is knocked out after the winning team has attained a commanding lead and the official scorer concludes that a subsequent pitcher is entitled to credit as the winning pitcher.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

If the official scorer had the discretion to give additional wins to the starter, some teams would have a staff full of 25-game winners.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #11
Nice Guy Eddie
Banned

well, A win is a win is a win, and I think maybe that's just the nature of baseball. So while on the surface a win in the given situation may LOOK unearned, or even invalid, it is still a win under the parameters of the game, and those rules were put in place for a reason.
Nice Guy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
cuervo72
Head Coach

We need a "Bad Guy Freddie" now.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:59 AM   #13
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Generally speaking, a closer's ideal record would be 0-0. The reason is because the vast majority of their appearances happen when their team has a lead. If they have a loss, it means they likely blew a lead. If they have a win, it means they likely blew a lead and then their team ended up bailing them out. Either way, it's not an ideal result.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #14
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Add this one. Pitcher commits error himself and then doesn't get charged any earned runs for any runs he gives up.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:35 AM   #15
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Well, everyone knows not to put any value in closer wins. I'll be happy when people figure out that the save stat is only marginally more relevant. Honestly, if Joe Borowski racking up 40+ saves didn't make that ridiculous stat irrelevant I don't know what will.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #16
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Add this one. Pitcher commits error himself and then doesn't get charged any earned runs for any runs he gives up.

I don't mind this. You should separate his pitching performance from his fielding performance.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #17
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Generally speaking, a closer's ideal record would be 0-0. The reason is because the vast majority of their appearances happen when their team has a lead. If they have a loss, it means they likely blew a lead. If they have a win, it means they likely blew a lead and then their team ended up bailing them out. Either way, it's not an ideal result.

except that since there can be situations where a save is impossible to attain, many closers are brought into tie games in the top of the 9th to preserve the tie, and then get the win when their team scoresin the bottom of the inning...from my baseball watching experience, that happens alot more often than the "they likely blew a lead and then their team ended up bailing them out" scenario.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote