Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-05-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
dxtrfn1980
n00b

BBCF Recruiting-Luck or not.

I run LSU on the game and the first recruiting class was in the top 10 then next year was top 20, next year was top 30 and last year's class ranked 50th. i did the same thing and getting fewer gem players. In the latest class none of the top 30 Louisiana players commited to go to LSU. My record will probably crash to the bottom. Need a better college football game that won't have a player in Louisiana committing to insert SEC school here instead of LSU. In real life, LSU gets most of the top players in the state of Louisiana.

dxtrfn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
bhlloy
Coordinator

maybe you suck?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
dxtrfn1980
n00b

I played the next year. I went 0-11 lost every game by 8 points or less and then in recruiting despite having every one in Louisiana having high interest. I landed none of the top 2000! in the nation despite having 24 scholarships. Next year I guess I let the computer do the recruiting they must do better than me.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
flounder
High School Varsity

I have never failed to land at least one player in the top 1000, even when I played a custom team with 25 prestige. I think you need to reevaluate how you are recruiting. Are you putting enough money into scouting? Are you paying attention to their reports about which pitch to use? Are you recruiting 3 and 4 star players to fall back on if your 5 star target commits elsewhere?
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
MrBug708
Head Coach

Mostly luck
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
Logan
Head Coach

You should try playing as Virginia Tech.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
You should try playing as Virginia Tech.

zing!

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:49 AM   #8
dxtrfn1980
n00b

If 5 teams offer a player a scholarship and all 5 teams select the correct pitch and I have a 20 percent chance of landing the recruit depending on the pitch condition. If they want to play to win and all 5 teams have high prestige it is a 20 percent chance. If only me and another satisify for example playing time for instance it jumps to 50 percent.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:05 AM   #9
flounder
High School Varsity

It's true, if you want one particular recruit, that it is a matter of luck. However, if you target 5 recruits in the top 200 and have a 20 percent chance at landing each of them, then you have a roughly 70% chance of landing at least one of them.

I've never played with a really high prestige team, but I'd have to think that if you're targeting the right people that LSU's chances would be higher than 20 percent. If it even goes up to 33 percent and you target 5 people you have a 87 percent chance of landing one of them.

Of course this analysis is oversimplified but it illustrates the point that while landing each recruit is a matter of luck, having good recruiting strategy can produce consistent results. It's hard to figure out that strategy though. It took me a long time to get to where I consider myself marginally competent at recruiting.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #10
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

It has been a while since I played. I played as Ole Miss and did not have a problem getting a top 25 recruiting class each year. A lot of times starting out, I could get a top 15 class. I think (OM) they start one prestige level above average.

You probably need to refine your recruiting approach. I think it is not a straight percentage on correct pitch. Somebody will find the top pitch first and get more points for it by being able to pitch it in more cycles.

Last edited by Grammaticus : 07-06-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
dxtrfn1980
n00b

One time, I cheated and set it on multiplayer mode and controlled all of the major team (SEC, FSU, MIA, Clemson) in that region and I allowed the teams to only offer inital scholarships in their state they reside in. Needless to say LSU got all of top prospects in Louisiana. LSU had 17 scholarships and got the top 17 players in the state. That is a cheat allright.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:01 PM   #12
MrBug708
Head Coach

No doubt it's a cheat. USC tends to take the top recruit from Louisana
Old 07-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #13
dxtrfn1980
n00b

Joe McKnight in 2007 went to USC instead of LSU. Robert Lane went to Ole Miss instead a while back.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #14
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

You can't count that, though. Robert Lane's parents were born in Mississippi, so it was really like going home for him.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:30 PM   #15
Blade6119
Coordinator

So to sum up all the answers, its not luck at all. It sounds to me, for certain considering the none in the top 2000 comment, that your just doing something wrong. Try reading the in-game FAQ for tips on how to go about the process, and if that fails feel free to shoot me a PM and ill do my best to help you out.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:33 PM   #16
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Robert Lane commited to LSU, then changed after LSU signed Russell. He went to Ole Miss because he had a better chance to start. Also, at the time Cutcliffe was still the coach at Ole Miss. So Lane likely thought he was getting a pretty good QB Tudor. He also attended the Manning's development camp. I'm sure all of that really helped Ole Miss when Russell signed and Lane had second thoughts.

Sometimes in BBCF you track as the number one choice for the kid and he goes to another school at the last minute. It's really a lot of fun.

Last edited by Grammaticus : 07-06-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #17
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Are you spending the maximum amount on each recruit, or are you going with the recommended amount, which is the minimum?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #18
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Is the minimum really the best bet? I do Max amount in recruiting, always have and have generally been successful (I can get Fresno State to top-50 classes in a competitive league online)
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #19
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I would pay strong attention to anything that Passacaglia says on this topic. If you're in an online league with him, and he's offered a scholarship to a guy that you're recruiting, you might as well just move on, because you're not going to land him.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #20
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
I would pay strong attention to anything that Passacaglia says on this topic. If you're in an online league with him, and he's offered a scholarship to a guy that you're recruiting, you might as well just move on, because you're not going to land him.

Except in fofc-bbcf, where the badgers reign supreme
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #21
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post

I didn't know I had that kind of reputation! Blade's right though, he's been getting the better of me in the FOFC league. I've been pleased with the talent I've brought in, though, and when I finally get a QB, look out.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:23 PM   #22
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Are you spending the maximum amount on each recruit, or are you going with the recommended amount, which is the minimum?

Recommended by who?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #23
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Recommended by who?

By the game. Perhaps I should have used the word 'default' instead.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:06 PM   #24
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
By the game. Perhaps I should have used the word 'default' instead.

Hmm, I haven't seen a default. Just the dropdown with the min and max and the salaries, in between, based on distance. Do you get an email stating this?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #25
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hmm, I haven't seen a default. Just the dropdown with the min and max and the salaries, in between, based on distance. Do you get an email stating this?

No, I think he just means if you go into the player card and hit recruit, it will go with the "default" amount of money which is the lower and not as good amount of money. He is correct that he should have said "default" rather than "recommended" amount
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #26
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
No, I think he just means if you go into the player card and hit recruit, it will go with the "default" amount of money which is the lower and not as good amount of money. He is correct that he should have said "default" rather than "recommended" amount

Ah, yes, that makes more sense.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:43 PM   #27
muns
Pro Starter

so your telling me that if i spend less ill have a better shot at landing a guy?
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:47 PM   #28
MrBug708
Head Coach

No
Old 07-07-2008, 10:47 PM   #29
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
so your telling me that if i spend less ill have a better shot at landing a guy?

I know, that throws me, too. It seems nonsensicle.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #30
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post

He was asking if the guy was changing the default recruit money value to the maximum value because that helps some as well. He was wondering if the guy was keeping it on the default amount of money when recruiting. Checking to see if that was one of the various things he might be doing wrong to get poor recruiting results.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #31
muns
Pro Starter

Thanks for clearing that up for me Alan.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:07 PM   #32
dxtrfn1980
n00b

I just finished recruiting with Penn State and my past 2 years recruiting were a nightmare despite my prestige of 75. I did everything right, had a good pitch and still no top recruits came to Penn State. In fact, it took me to Week 17 to get a recruit in the past class. I had no quarterbacks coming back, they graduated and my senior QB declared for draft. Pennsylvania had 6 QB prospects rated 3 stars or higher and got none of them. I had to accept walk-on QB's. You other people said it is just luck. 4 years before I got 6 of the top 7 recruits in PA.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #33
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxtrfn1980 View Post
I just finished recruiting with Penn State and my past 2 years recruiting were a nightmare despite my prestige of 75. I did everything right, had a good pitch and still no top recruits came to Penn State. In fact, it took me to Week 17 to get a recruit in the past class. I had no quarterbacks coming back, they graduated and my senior QB declared for draft. Pennsylvania had 6 QB prospects rated 3 stars or higher and got none of them. I had to accept walk-on QB's. You other people said it is just luck. 4 years before I got 6 of the top 7 recruits in PA.

are you doing extensive scouting early on, and using the recommended pitches?
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:38 PM   #34
dxtrfn1980
n00b

I did scout every 2 star or higher in PA and used recommended pitches and the class was nightmare. I was trying for number one class in country. (tried for the best class ever on BBCF and busted big time) I guess next time I will play it safe and offer to the bottom of PA, surely they will choose Penn State over Temple and all those also ran schools.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:58 PM   #35
General Mike
Pro Starter

Don't just recruit the state you are in. During week one, scout as many players as your budget allows, and then throw out offers and do light (minimum cost) recruiting on the guys you offer. Week 2 readjust your offers based on scouted ratings and other stuff.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:10 PM   #36
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Don't just recruit the state you are in. During week one, scout as many players as your budget allows, and then throw out offers and do light (minimum cost) recruiting on the guys you offer. Week 2 readjust your offers based on scouted ratings and other stuff.

Yes, that's solid advice. GM, how quickly do you usually put a pitch out there? The second I get a sense what the pitch is, I make it. I don't know if it helps, but I always thought it did. Plus, do you offer scholies in Week One if you know you're going to go after a guy? I usually don't unless there is absolutely no one else and it's a need position.

It's tough to develop backup choices (especially if you have a lot of scholies to give out), but I think I have gotten better that. Haven't really seen the results yet in recruiting myself. I felt like I did better in L'ville when I "knew less".

Old 07-09-2008, 11:12 PM   #37
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post

Oh, try to stick to your region. I think there is a big divide there that makes a difference. It's why in the BBCF I end up fighting with LSU and Clemson and Florida State for my recruits, instead of Ohio State or West Virginia or Notre Dame, which are much closer to me geographically.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:02 AM   #38
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I did scout every 2 star or higher in PA and used recommended pitches and the class was nightmare. I was trying for number one class in country. (tried for the best class ever on BBCF and busted big time) I guess next time I will play it safe and offer to the bottom of PA, surely they will choose Penn State over Temple and all those also ran schools.
I'm starting to think that Mr. Dextromethorphan is messing with us... but he doesn't even know it.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:09 AM   #39
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh, try to stick to your region. I think there is a big divide there that makes a difference. It's why in the BBCF I end up fighting with LSU and Clemson and Florida State for my recruits, instead of Ohio State or West Virginia or Notre Dame, which are much closer to me geographically.

I agree with this, but usually, just recruiting based on initial interest takes care of it for me. Most players end up coming from my region, but if there's interest, I'll go after someone across the country. But it's suicide to recruit just in one state, even if it's Florida or Texas.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #40
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yes, that's solid advice. GM, how quickly do you usually put a pitch out there? The second I get a sense what the pitch is, I make it. I don't know if it helps, but I always thought it did. Plus, do you offer scholies in Week One if you know you're going to go after a guy? I usually don't unless there is absolutely no one else and it's a need position.

It's tough to develop backup choices (especially if you have a lot of scholies to give out), but I think I have gotten better that. Haven't really seen the results yet in recruiting myself. I felt like I did better in L'ville when I "knew less".

If after scouting I get a very important for one of the pitches in the first week, and it matches up with the recommended pitches, I'll definitely use it then, otherwise I might wait til week 3 or 4.

As far as offering scholarships goes, I do tend to offer guys the 1st week without seeing scouting ratings. I'm not sure if pulling the offer later does have a negative effect, which would tend to dissuade me from that strategy tho.

I do know that I tend to go about recruiting with Nebraska differently than I did with Rutgers.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #41
dxtrfn1980
n00b

I notice in recruiting if you at the schools trying to recruit a 3 star prospect and you see a school normally would not be interested in a player you need not to offer a scholarship. For instance, I am trying to recruit a guy from Virginia and I see Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland, North Carolina, North Carolina State, etc and I see a school such as New Mexico and I think why would New Mexico try to recruit a Virginia player and that tells me that the player was originally born in New Mexico and don't need to waste money on him. If you see elite teams out of region trying to recruit him then he is still fair game for your school if he is high on your list of course.

3 star prospect-VA

Schools
Virginia
Virginia Tech
7 other region schools
non-elite out of region team

What to do
Don't waste money unless you are that non-elite out of region team

3 star prospect

Schools
Virginia
Virginia Tech
some other region schools
Michigan
USC
Florida State

What to do
He is fair game and you recruit as normal and try to keep him from going to the elite schools
Old 07-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #42
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
But it's suicide to recruit just in one state, even if it's Florida or Texas.

I coach Oklahoma in the BB-BBCF, we get the majority of our recruits from Texas. Those kids are smart, they want to play for a winner.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #43
st.cronin
General Manager

I think actually it is possible to recruit just from either California or Texas and do well. Probably not Florida, though.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #44
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I notice in recruiting if you at the schools trying to recruit a 3 star prospect and you see a school normally would not be interested in a player you need not to offer a scholarship. For instance, I am trying to recruit a guy from Virginia and I see Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland, North Carolina, North Carolina State, etc and I see a school such as New Mexico and I think why would New Mexico try to recruit a Virginia player and that tells me that the player was originally born in New Mexico and don't need to waste money on him. If you see elite teams out of region trying to recruit him then he is still fair game for your school if he is high on your list of course.

3 star prospect-VA

Schools
Virginia
Virginia Tech
7 other region schools
non-elite out of region team

What to do
Don't waste money unless you are that non-elite out of region team

3 star prospect

Schools
Virginia
Virginia Tech
some other region schools
Michigan
USC
Florida State

What to do
He is fair game and you recruit as normal and try to keep him from going to the elite schools
Well, I'm glad you've finally figured the game out. I eagerly await the thread where you have the #1 recruiting class in the country for 10 years straight and you never lose another game.

Congratulations.