Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2003, 03:44 PM   #1
korme
Go Reds

PING- PS2 Hobos

After getting some advice on what I can do to fix my PS2, I decided I'll try the quick method first, of trying to clean my laser.

How would I go about getting to the laser? How do I take this puppy apart?

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 03:49 PM   #2
Vince
Pro Starter

Shorty, I'm not sure of the particulars, but I think that if you try to take it apart yourself, Sony won't fix yours once you open it. So if you do try to do it yourself, make sure you know what you're doing.

I could be completely wrong, and if that is the case, ignore the hell out of me.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 03:58 PM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

Try a DVD lens cleaner first, and use compressed air to blow out dust from the vents/lens area first.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 04:01 PM   #4
cmp
Pro Rookie

I'm pretty sure if you open it up Sony won't fix it. I opened mine up to clean it though and it worked perfectly fine afterwards. Just use the advice Kodos gave.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 04:02 PM   #5
korme
Go Reds

hmm, so a washcloth wouldnt do the trick??

dvd lens cleaner..
Old 05-19-2003, 04:05 PM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's a dvd with a few little brushy things sticking out of it. Should be found at your local Best Buy or similar place. It helped my PS2 when it had a little trouble, and no problems since. I would only disassemble it as a last resort. It's really easy to break something and render it totally unfixable.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:08 PM   #7
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Most of the newer ps2's have a little spring coil.. that if you pull apart the ps2 it'll pop out and is nearly impossible to put back.. but doesn't effect the ps2 in anyway (its basically sony's way to tell if you opened it or not.. fairly clever)

If your ps2 is older.. like release or first year or so.. you should be okay opening it if your careful about it.. but sony won't help you unless you get it back to the way it looks outta the box
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 04:11 PM   #8
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Use DVD cleaner first .
Old 05-19-2003, 04:27 PM   #9
oykib
College Starter

Actually, It's recommended that you use a DVD lens cleaner for every fourteen hours of game use. I don't think anyone in the world is that dilligent, though.

Just try to use one whenever you are about to start in for a really long day of play (like when you are home 'sick' or when you've got no money on the weekend).
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 05:13 PM   #10
korme
Go Reds

Hmm, would a glasses cleaner do?

Oh and how can I clean the lense without taking anything apart?
Old 05-19-2003, 05:15 PM   #11
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's a DVD. You put it in, press play, and follow the directions. I wouldn't use a glass cleaner.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:23 PM   #12
korme
Go Reds

Oh, well I was thinking more along the lines of the laser.. all of my games don't work, remember?
Old 05-19-2003, 05:31 PM   #13
Easy Mac

Smack it around like a woman. Seems to make everything work fine.

legal disclaimer: Easy Mac does not advocate the hitting of women or Marmel.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 06:19 PM   #14
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think the DVD thing should help any problems. If not, you're out a few bucks.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:51 PM   #15
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Location: To reveal my location, you must decipher a series of traps, each more deadly than the last.
What if the Disc Read Error thing appears when the PS2 tries to load the DVD Cleaner ?
Happy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 06:56 PM   #16
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

I seemed to have missed this, but what isn't your PS2 doing? Playing only one type of disc, not playing any? Please, if you could answer, I might have a great solution.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:01 PM   #17
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Location: To reveal my location, you must decipher a series of traps, each more deadly than the last.
It plays most EA games like Madden , MVP Baseball, or NASCAR Thunder. Well, NASCAR Thunder and Madden are starting to show signs of Disc Read Errortis. I can say that the DVD type (gold plated disc) does play to an extent of the games listed and a few other DVDs, the blue plated disc (I'm guessing old PS2 games) dont, PS1 games dont. So, what's the diagnosis ?
Old 05-19-2003, 07:04 PM   #18
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

I think I can answer that one, Happy ... mine was doing the EXACT same thing about 5 or 6 months ago, mine, like yours would only play the "DVD" discs and not the blue plated discs ...

I took it to a trade center down here near me, and the guy took it and cleaned that filter that is at the front of the PlayStation 2, which was LOADED with dust, smoking also helps mess this up, he also cleaned out the back portion, where the fan is ... it turned the trick, my PS2 works like a dream now. While that MAY not be the problem with yours, it IS worth a shot ... because it worked for me quite well. I'm not sure if that's ALL the guy did, but that's what I do remember him saying, that it was a problem, espically around smokers, or very dusty environs.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:24 PM   #19
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Thanks Lions, but the main problem might really go with the laser lens. But thanks for the advice.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:36 PM   #20
korme
Go Reds

Can I clean any of that without taking it apart, LF?
Old 05-19-2003, 08:58 PM   #21
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

I honestly don't think so, Shorty ... sorry. I know when I took mine to that guy, he had to take it apart, but it wasn't anything to dangerous, he didn't come near anything that would damage the system beyond repair and it only cost me $20. Sony was going to do the exact same think and charge $100 more.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:14 PM   #22
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I have one that's about 6-8 months old. It helps I'm a technician, but I always like to take things apart. I just turned it over, took the screws out, opened it up carefully and then cleaned the lens with a q-tip and some alcohol. It was a snap and my ps2 is back to normal again, playing all my games with 0 problems thus far.

If you have a warranty use it, if not take your time and do it yourself or have a friend come over and do it. Heck, if you lived in Missouri, I would do it for ya!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote