Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-18-2003, 11:30 AM   #1
samifan24
Pro Starter

CM4: Free transfers?

Ok I have a quick question. When I go to "scout for players" and tell my scout to search for any players whose value is "free" or set it up so I'm looking for unattached players, I always get an empty search with "0 players in your region." Am I doing something wrong?

samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 01:40 PM   #2
Blackadar
Retired

1. Make sure you're looking for all players, not just shortlisted ones.

2. Make sure you turn the "only those acceptable" choices (or whatever it is on the bottom of the filter) off.

3. Make sure you have no attributes selected.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 01:46 PM   #3
Karim
College Starter

The player search is only for "well-known" players in your region. If you are playing a lower club and have selected to filter out unrealistic targets, it's possible to get a 0. I sent my scouts to various regions but everyone they came back with was attached.

It also depends on the size of your database. I switched to large and found many more players to choose from.

Also, if you are playing your first season, there are very very few free transfer players available. You could use the "Quick Search" feature which is a sub-menu under your name. Type in "no club" and search. You'll find some free transfers there but it is tedious as you have to manually go through each person because some are staff.

The best thing to do I've found is to send your scouts absolutely everywhere, including scouting youth players, shortlist anyone who is interesting in your eyes and their eyes and who has a contract expiring. In this way you can get the jump on many teams in the off-season.

That's about all I can think off at the moment.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 02:15 PM   #4
klayman
College Benchwarmer

I don't think scouts return free and unattached players anymore. I haven't had one yet from any of them, so I don't think you're doing anything wrong.

Last edited by klayman : 05-18-2003 at 02:15 PM.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 02:16 PM   #5
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman
I don't think scouts return free and unattached players anymore. I haven't had one yet from any of them, so I don't think you're doing anything wrong.

Ditto

Havent seen a single free agent yet

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 04:44 PM   #6
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman

well think about it from a real life standpoint. How can you scout a guy if he's not playing any matches?
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 04:59 PM   #7
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Threadjack

Can anyone tell me what exactly offsides is?
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 05:04 PM   #8
TredWel
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by illinifan999
Threadjack

Can anyone tell me what exactly offsides is?

A player behind the opponent's last defender cannot receive a pass (or even be in the vicinity of a pass) from a player who is not also behind the defense. When that happens, offsides is called.

Last edited by TredWel : 05-18-2003 at 05:05 PM.
TredWel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 05:27 PM   #9
Katon
College Benchwarmer

That's the gist of it. The specific law says two enemy players must be between the player and the goal (i. e. goalie and defender) and that an offside player must not interfere with play, but TredWel's definition is probably simpler to remember and is just as accurate 99.5% of the time.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 05:31 PM   #10
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Ok thanks guys.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 06:04 PM   #11
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by McSweeny
well think about it from a real life standpoint. How can you scout a guy if he's not playing any matches?

Fair enough. But I'm sure there are semi-pro and amateur tournaments going on all the time, not to mention local tryouts held by clubs. If an out of contract footballer wanted to continue playing, I'm sure there would plenty of opportunity for a scout to evaluate him on a basic level, even if it is just to recommend he be given a trial period. Unless the footballer was walking completely away from the game, I'm sure he'd be playing somewhere at some level, not to mention getting his name out to teams he thought might be interested in him.

Since CM isn't this in-depth, and I really see no way that it could be without become grossly complex (maybe CM6 or 7), I think it's a fair trade-off that the scouts return out of contract players. Just my opinion. Of course, I'm still having fun with the game without it. It just makes things more difficult, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited by klayman : 05-18-2003 at 06:05 PM.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 05:25 AM   #12
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Finding free-players when scouting - 'tis a bug, I'm looking into it now (will be fixed in EP#4).

(on an aside you can limit risk for free-transfer players by taking them on 'trial' at your club)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 05:32 AM   #13
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Katon
That's the gist of it. The specific law says two enemy players must be between the player and the goal (i. e. goalie and defender) and that an offside player must not interfere with play, but TredWel's definition is probably simpler to remember and is just as accurate 99.5% of the time.
Substitute goal by the line from corner flag to corner flag (can't think of the English name for it at the moment).
MIJB#19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 05:34 AM   #14
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Vaughan
Finding free-players when scouting - 'tis a bug, I'm looking into it now (will be fixed in EP#4).

(on an aside you can limit risk for free-transfer players by taking them on 'trial' at your club)
Does CM also have a feature where too many 'trial' players will cause into a revolt in the squad with all the original players fearing for their positions?
Old 05-19-2003, 06:35 AM   #15
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Players who go on 'trials' are normally smaller than the club (or have limited reputations) - so don't tend to cause revolts (although in theory they can).

However rumours linking you with other players or about transfers going on can easily cause such problems for a manager .... then its up to you how you handle it (especially hard if you are actually involved in a 'quiet' transfer with the player in question).
Old 05-19-2003, 06:39 AM   #16
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Oops, my question came out a bit wrong.
Where it states CM, one should read CM4.
That is because when I was playing CM0102 a while back, I decided to 'fly' over dozens of players for trials to make their skills visible, but in the end the team seemed not to like that. The original players started asking for big bucks in contract negotiations and others were concerned about their roles in the squad...
Old 05-19-2003, 11:36 AM   #17
jefflackey
n00b

One more note on the offside rule, that is confusing for novices - the key is where the player is when the pass is initiated, NOT where he is when he receives the pass. Thus, a player can be level with a defender and on-side, a teammate can pass ahead of him while he is on-side, and he can run up and receive the pass with no one but the keeper in front of him and still be on-side. Again - on/off-side is determined at the time of the initiation of the pass (when the passer kicks the ball.)

Don't worry if it's a little confusing, the referees and linesmen miss it all the time.
jefflackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 04:27 PM   #18
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by MIJB#19
Substitute goal by the line from corner flag to corner flag (can't think of the English name for it at the moment).

Touch line?
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:43 PM   #19
samifan24
Pro Starter

Sorry to threadjack my own thread, but what do the red and green arrows mean on the standings (league table) page? It seems obvious, but every time I look at them next to my team name in mid-game, they always accurately reflect the end result of the day's match when it ends. It seems that I can tell if I will win or lose a game by looking at these arrows. Does this just happen to be a coincidence?
Old 05-20-2003, 12:37 AM   #20
3ric
College Starter

No coincidence, that's how the league table would be affected if your current result in the match stands. Come to think of it, it's probably true for all matches being played. If your opponents turn the game around and score two in the final minute to win 2-1, then your green arrow likely will turn red.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:58 AM   #21
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Its actually offside, not offsides. Offside in soccer is not plural.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:19 AM   #22
Havok
College Starter

Quote:

(on an aside you can limit risk for free-transfer players by taking them on 'trial' at your club) [/b]

Thats kind of misleading Marc cause when you offer a free player a "trial" 5-15 teams magically become interested in the player and make offers to them. So they dont accept your offer because other teams have offered them contracts.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:00 AM   #23
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Havok
Thats kind of misleading Marc cause when you offer a free player a "trial" 5-15 teams magically become interested in the player and make offers to them. So they dont accept your offer because other teams have offered them contracts.

This is something I'm rectifying for EP#4 ....
Old 05-20-2003, 10:00 AM   #24
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
This is something I'm rectifying for EP#4 ....

The you da man